Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2004   #21
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Shouldn't the cover 2 be flawed if you run slant patterns? I mean, Indy was dropping back their middle linebacker making it tougher....why don't we just throw more slants?
It worked for us well with Bradford on a series.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #22
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Shouldn't the cover 2 be flawed if you run slant patterns? I mean, Indy was dropping back their middle linebacker making it tougher....why don't we just throw more slants?
#1Yeah, that peek picture you got is nice. To answer your question yeah i think it would exploit the cover 2 a little. Any quick slants or hitch routes don't anything dont have anything to do with safeties over the top and we all know AJ can break a few tackles and take it to the house.

Another thing is where has the quick screen to AJ been, I haven't seen that in a while and it never seems to fail. I've been wating on them to fake it and throw over top when the CB comes up to make a play.
Old 12-15-2004   #23
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
#1Yeah, that peek picture you got is nice.
Homemade Peek avatar....post if you would like one in the Technical Support section of the main board...I have a custom avatar thread going there by request.

Quote:
To answer your question yeah i think it would exploit the cover 2 a little. Any quick slants or hitch routes don't anything dont have anything to do with safeties over the top and we all know AJ can break a few tackles and take it to the house.

Another thing is where has the quick screen to AJ been, I haven't seen that in a while and it never seems to fail. I've been wating on them to fake it and throw over top when the CB comes up to make a play.
You know, something to the likes of what Corey Bradford did last year against the Dolphins, or AJ's pass against the Bills when he knocked down 3 defenders for a TD.
Old 12-15-2004   #24
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Carr said that they had some quick passes called but every time the Colts had someone sitting on it. Remember the first Colts game where Carr threw a pick six late in the game. Slant with a corner sitting on it. It seems like we are always complimenting the opposing teams defense for outsmarting us.
Old 12-15-2004   #25
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Carr said that they had some quick passes called but every time the Colts had someone sitting on it. Remember the first Colts game where Carr threw a pick six late in the game. Slant with a corner sitting on it. It seems like we are always complimenting the opposing teams defense for outsmarting us.
I'd just throw it up to AJ into double coverage along the sideline between the safety and corner. Come on, everytime we throw it deep to him, he makes a play (with the exception of the 4th and 10 vs. the Jets when Carr underthrew him). I think sometimes the coaching staff think too much...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #26
TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I'd just throw it up to AJ into double coverage along the sideline between the safety and corner. Come on, everytime we throw it deep to him, he makes a play
I agree....look at the Chiefs game, the Raiders game, and the Vikings game (you can see the Vikings game catch on the pro-bowl aj video). All of them were jump up and grab. Look at Randy Moss...he's just as tall as AJ, and he just goes up there and gets it.
Old 12-15-2004   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
(with the exception of the 4th and 10 vs. the Jets when Carr underthrew him).
That pass was to Miller not AJ. Carr didn't underthrow AJ, he was a little too quick getting it off to Miller and almost hit AJ, taking him by surprise and making it look like the pass was to him.
Old 12-15-2004   #28
AndreJ
All Pro

Yeah, he could throw up a bomb to Andre in double coverage, but the chances are about 50/50 we all know he can make the play, but thats not something you want to make a habit of.

Say AJ doesn't catch it and the safety picks it off, 99% of you would be on here raising hell about Carr's bad decision making and how he is forcing it to AJ. You just dont go around challenging double coverage like you're invincible, Im sorry.
Old 12-15-2004   #29
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
That pass was to Miller not AJ. Carr didn't underthrow AJ, he was a little too quick getting it off to Miller and almost hit AJ, taking him by surprise and making it look like the pass was to him.
I think he meant the game this year when we went for it on the first drive. Carr underthrew it a little and the DB ripped it away from AJ in the end zone.
Old 12-15-2004   #30
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
Yeah, he could throw up a bomb to Andre in double coverage, but the chances are about 50/50 we all know he can make the play, but thats not something you want to make a habit of.

Say AJ doesn't catch it and the safety picks it off, 99% of you would be on here raising hell about Carr's bad decision making and how he is forcing it to AJ. You just dont go around challenging double coverage like you're invincible, Im sorry.
Pardon me while I repeat that.

Say AJ doesn't catch it and the safety picks it off, 99% of you would be on here raising hell about Carr's bad decision making and how he is forcing it to AJ.

Pardon me while I repeat that again.

Say AJ doesn't catch it and the safety picks it off, 99% of you would be on here raising hell about Carr's bad decision making and how he is forcing it to AJ.

Anyone listening?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #31
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Someone said we should be able to beat the Bears, because Dallas did. They forgot one thing, the head coach for Dallas is Parcells. I don't like the man, but he's a helluva coach. Remember he had an offensive CO by the name of Palmer, but I bet Palmer got an earful on what to call. Parcells is a master at using his players. Dallas has nowhere near the talent we have, but they win games. There has been dischord there this year too. We will simply get out coached again, pure and simple. Weather could also be a big factor in this game and it favors the Bears.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #32
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Someone said we should be able to beat the Bears, because Dallas did. They forgot one thing, the head coach for Dallas is Parcells. I don't like the man, but he's a helluva coach. Remember he had an offensive CO by the name of Palmer, but I bet Palmer got an earful on what to call. Parcells is a master at using his players. Dallas has nowhere near the talent we have, but they win games. There has been dischord there this year too. We will simply get out coached again, pure and simple. Weather could also be a big factor in this game and it favors the Bears.

That was my post...I don't think Parcells could outcoach a high school coach right now; he's been poor decision wise all year. And I think the Cowboys and Texans have the same record so as far as winning games it's two peas in the same pod.

I'm very down on Parcells right now. He's blundered and blustered this whole year.

I think the Texans win this game. I would never favor a team that starts Chad Hutchison with Jeff George backing him up.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #33
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Pardon me while I repeat that.

Pardon me while I repeat that again.

Anyone listening?
Yeah, we heard. You said, "If Car throws it to AJ deep, while he's in double coverage, he will catch it 99% of the time, but we should still FIRE PALMER!!!"

PS-HJam72 does not necessarily represent the thoughts of HJam72 or any his supporting posts (which are all just as stupid).

Last edited by HJam72; 12-16-2004 at 08:16 AM.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #34
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

"Fire Palmer" is just a natural thing for many of us by now. It just comes out before we even know we're saying it.

This morning I woke up and laid there in bed. I didn't particularly want to go to work or anything but I knew I had to so I rolled over, sat upright, and started the morning eye wiping and yawning/groaning as I got ready to hit the shower.

My wife, who gets up the same time as I do said: "What?" and I said "Huh? I didn't say anything. I just yawned."

She wasn't going to be denied though and said "No you weren't just yawning. You said something. It sounded like "Fire bomber" or something. We're you dreaming"

Fire Bomber? Fire Palmer?

This morning I saw someone at McDonalds saying "They put cheese on this after I asked them not to! I told them twice not to put cheese on this one! I hate these *****s!" and the guys friend who was opening his sandwhich mumbled "Fire Palmer" without even looking up.

I give Palmer about 3 games into the 2005 season before he's tarred and feathered whether he deserves it or not.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #35
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Man! You are too funny! Ever thought about writing a book of your visions of people & life? .. I'd buy it. ..
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #36
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

A book takes a long time to write and I've got such a short attention span that I don't think I'd make it to the end Fire Palmer.

Seriously though I cannot even count the number of times people have come up to me at work wanting to talk about the Texans and instantly started getting down on Chris Palmer. If it was something that you just couldn't deny him being Fire Palmer responsible for then I could agree but 99% of the people out there wanting to fire Chris Palmer seem to be blaming him for things he couldn't possibly be accountable for. If David Carr makes a boneheaded decision it's "Fire Palmer". If Domanick Davis gets swarmed behind the line of scrimmage even though nobody blocked for him it's "Fire Palmer". If Dom Capers pants fell down in a press conference and it was revealed that he was wearing a garter belt and stockings then somebody, somewhere would respond with "Fire Palmer".

I'm not a real big Chris Palmer fan but he can't be responsible for everything that happens out there. Can he?

Anyway back on topic the only reason David Carr & Co. can't beat the Cover 2 is that David's got two choices on every pass play and that's first and last options. He doesn't look at anyone else and what's worse he doesn't have all that much time to look at anyone else. To learn how to beat this defense he's going to have to be given the time to look at it. The o-line has to give him more time.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
To learn how to beat this defense he's going to have to be given the time to look at it. The o-line has to give him more time.
Great point. Carr is bad at his progressions on cover 2 teams and there are certainly QB's who could come in behind this exact OL and perform better--not as well as behind a good OL, but better than Carr is doing. Carr is not stupid however and the best solution is building the OL to give him enough time to learn. Once he has learned how to deal with cover 2 with protection, hopefully he will be much better at dealing with it when the protection breaks down than he is now. On the other hand, give him time and he still can't learn to dissect cover 2 schemes--that's the time to look for QB options.
Old 12-16-2004   #38
pek281
Rookie

Rep Power: 17 pek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden cover

The worse and worse the weather's getting in Chicago, the more unlikely that the Cover 2 will be an issue. The wind will be down-right blustery. It looks like this is turning into a smash-mouth running game, a game of who wants it most.
pek281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #39
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
On the other hand, give him time and he still can't learn to dissect cover 2 schemes--that's the time to look for QB options.
That's the whole point. You can't really judge if Carr is up to the task until you give him that time. That involves the offensive line. And since it involves the offensive line, you may indeed have to wait another 2 or 3 seasons before you can judge if Carr is up to the task . . . if improving the line requires different personnel either through the draft or free agency.

I don't see a short term fix here.
Old 12-16-2004   #40
Marcus
Hall of Fame

And speaking of short term fixes, (which I don't believe exists in the NFL), that happens to be the root cause of this "Fire Palmer" circus.

I have broken down Texans fans in general into 2 distinct groups.

Group A - fans who believe that the Texans already have the talent to be a playoff caliber team.

Group B - fans who do not think the Texans have the talent to be a playoff caliber team.

The Fire Everyone Now crowd and the Playcalling Police belong in Group A. (IMHO)

People who are in Group B believe the jury is still out as far as the coaching staff is concerned, and more time is required before an evaluation can be made.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read