Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-17-2008   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Alex Brink who are you?

I've been reading up on Brink, and I was also able to watch his performance against the Washington Huskies. Even it's only one game, I like him. In fact, I like him a lot. He's very well suited for the WCO. A great pick in the 7th!

As Kubiak seems to be very intrigued by the guy, so am I.
Kubiak says he wants to work with Brink.

"Texans head coach Gary Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith feel that Brink has all the tools to develop into a solid NFL quarterback. A few days ago, they discussed the possibility of picking Brink if the draft played out right."

"Rick and I had this converesation the other day and I said, 'If you're so fortunate to move back and we do pick up a couple of extra picks, if this young man sticks around 'til late in the draft, boy, this would be a great opportunity, a great try,'" Kubiak said. "I mean, he played in a great conference...This guy knows what it is to be chased by very good people. He'll get rid of the ball, so (with) all that stuff he's way ahead from that standpoint and he's very, very smart.

"I'd just like to try. (He's) a great young man, and i'm looking forward to working with him."

Your thoughts??
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #2
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Alex Brink who are you?

I'd have to see some video of him playing.
Old 06-17-2008   #3
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

I did a post draft article centered around Brink's time at WSU.

He's got a certain tenacity that kept him coming, despite being part of a team that was very mediocre at best. Statistically, he ended his career at WSU as the most prolific passer - amassing 10,514 yds passing and 71 TDs. His stats also have him ranked among the best in Pac-10 history.

At first glance the kid fits the mold of an overachiever, but a closer look reveals an athletic kid who is very intelligent. What he lacks in arm strength, he makes up for in his decision making and footwork.

He was well respected for his work on the field, in the classroom, and around the community. A high character guy who could excel in that backup role, whether it be 2nd string or practice squad QB.

One WSU blogspot writer wrote me and gave me a link to his the winning drive in the 2007 Apple Cup (Washington vs Washington St.). The site is blocked from work, but I'll link to it when I get back to the house. That game he threw for 399 yards and five touchdowns - with the final TD being the go ahead score with less than a minute left on the clock. Amazing amazing performace. It was one hell of a way to go out.

While I've been on record as saying that I would have liked to have seen the Texans take a flyer on a WR or DE in the seventh - I'm not mad at the Brink pick up. I think he's a solid player that can fill a vital role for this franchise.

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Gary, watch these for now.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Solis, I read your blog this morning. Good stuffs.

The thing about his arm strength is overblown.
He doesn't have the cannon of an arm, but in the WCO where we don't go deep that often, a 45 yd strike as you can see from one of these videos is plenty good enough.
Old 06-17-2008   #5
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Sideline

I am just in the process now of getting some film of Brink to take a look at, I had not really previously concerned myself with him until the release of Gray as I couldn't see him getting more than a practice squad place however with Gray's release it does seem that he is living up our hopes.

Really looking forward to watching some film on the guy.
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #6
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Solis, I read your blog this morning. Good stuffs.

The thing about his arm strength is overblown.
He doesn't have the cannon of an arm, but in the WCO where we don't go deep that often, a 45 yd strike as you can see from one of these videos is plenty good enough.
Right - especially for what we brought him hear to do... Kubiak has taken a shine to the kid, and by all indications, sees him being a part of this franchise. In a practice scenario, I can see Brink as the type of player smart enough to emulate a Peyton-like audible, while having the skills to move around in the pocket like a VY - depending on who the Texans are preparing for that week.

Say word.
Old 06-17-2008   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I am just in the process now of getting some film of Brink to take a look at, I had not really previously concerned myself with him until the release of Gray as I couldn't see him getting more than a practice squad place however with Gray's release it does seem that he is living up our hopes.

Really looking forward to watching some film on the guy.
I mentioned your Houston visit on tenyardtorrents!
Sponsored links
Old 06-17-2008   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIS View Post
Right - especially for what we brought him hear to do... Kubiak has taken a shine to the kid, and by all indications, sees him being a part of this franchise. In a practice scenario, I can see Brink as the type of player smart enough to emulate a Peyton-like audible, while having the skills to move around in the pocket like a VY - depending on who the Texans are preparing for that week.
LOL, yeah I saw him kinda emulating Peyton a bit.
I also read that he also check out Brady's game film, and another QB whose name escapes me at the moment, maybe VY???
Old 06-18-2008   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

He doesn't have a very deep pass but he does throw the ball on target pretty much.
Old 06-18-2008   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I think he's a perfect fit for our system.

He can throw very well on the run, whether on the fly or stopping on the dime.
Whether on a roll out or a bootleg.
He can throw across his body on the run and still has a zip on the ball.
He has a super quick release.
A dump pass to the right flat takes a fraction less than 1 sec.
A hitch pass to the left flat takes right around 1 sec.
He can throw a smooth screen pass while backpedaling, great touch.
And he will drill that ball.

Against defenses that sent (and will send) tons of players to the NFL.

He also has good footwork.
His mobility & quick delivery helps him to avoid sacks (22) in a Sack-Happy Pac-10 Conference that averaged around 35 sacks (per 12-game season).

A couple seasons of grooming and if he doesn't play for us, we can trade him for a good return, IMO.
Old 06-26-2008   #11
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

As of today, he's (officially) a Texan. Not much noted, but...

Quote:
The Texans are planning to keep three quarterbacks on their 53-man roster this season. Brink will compete with Shane Boyd to become the team's third quarterback. He will also be eligible for the practice squad.
the chronic
OzzO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #12
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll believe the "three QBs on the active roster" thing when I see it, but it's good that his contract is done. Hopefully the others will fall in line soon.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I don't watch college football. I don't know much about the teams Brink played. So I don't know about the competition level. But just watching those clips, his mechanics look spot on, his accuracy, I think is better than avg, on the move, I'd say his accuracy is darn near uncanny.

But he's a midget.

If that was/is his biggest knock coming out of college, we might have something.

But I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 06-26-2008   #14
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I'll believe the "three QBs on the active roster" thing when I see it, but it's good that his contract is done. Hopefully the others will fall in line soon.
true, why haven't we signed our #1, we cried for a LT for years and he's not signed. what's going on?
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #15
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
true, why haven't we signed our #1, we cried for a LT for years and he's not signed. what's going on?
No big deal. The upper level guys wait until closer to camp and they wait for the guys above them to set the pay brackets.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #16
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't watch college football. I don't know much about the teams Brink played. So I don't know about the competition level. But just watching those clips, his mechanics look spot on, his accuracy, I think is better than avg, on the move, I'd say his accuracy is darn near uncanny.

But he's a midget.

If that was/is his biggest knock coming out of college, we might have something.

But I wouldn't hold my breath.
He's listed as 6'2" on the Texans roster. Quinn, who was cut, was listed as 6'3" and Boyd is listed as 6'1." I know it isn't an ideal height for a QB but I can't classify him as a "midget" either.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #17
danger6
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 danger6 could be on the next Madden coverdanger6 could be on the next Madden coverdanger6 could be on the next Madden coverdanger6 could be on the next Madden coverdanger6 could be on the next Madden coverdanger6 could be on the next Madden cover

Denver had a back up QB behind John Elway for something like 9 years running the zone blocking scheme. How tall was that guy?
danger6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
He's listed as 6'2" on the Texans roster. Quinn, who was cut, was listed as 6'3" and Boyd is listed as 6'1." I know it isn't an ideal height for a QB but I can't classify him as a "midget" either.
honestly, that's the problem I see with Schaub & Sage. Their height. Sage compensates weel(as does Brink) by being able to get out of the pocket, buy time, and still throw accurately.

I know it's not a big deal, just saying they aren't proto-typical.
Old 06-26-2008   #19
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
honestly, that's the problem I see with Schaub & Sage. Their height. Sage compensates weel(as does Brink) by being able to get out of the pocket, buy time, and still throw accurately.

Problem with Schaub? I thought he was about 6'5"?

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #20
SOLIS
United We Stand

Quote:

Sage is listed at 6'4" and Matt is listed at 6'5"... those two are about as prototypical as you get.

Brink (6'2") and Boyd (6'1") on the other hand are not prototypical.

Say word.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read