Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-17-2008   #1
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jimmy Williams released...

Falcons released S Jimmy Williams.

Quote:
Another brutal pick by former GM Rich McKay falls by the wayside. The 2006 second-round round pick was once thought to have top-10 talent, but he's proven too slow to play cornerback and not tough enough to play safety. He should still get a second chance elsewhere.
He's also a former VT player, which seems to be Rick Smith fad now and days. Another piece to his collection?

Last edited by J-Russ; 06-17-2008 at 03:35 PM.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101586 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jimmy Williams released...

How slow was he? I mean what was his 40 time?

Seems to me any GM with a brain could atleast tell if a CB was fast enough to play in the NFL before they spent a 2nd rounder on him, hell I think even Casserly could do that.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101586 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I found it, http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=11802

It says he ran a 4.42......not bad, I'd be willing to bring him in for camp and give him a shot if I was Rick Smith. He's got to be better than Petey and he could be nice depth as a tweener cb/fs until Dunta gets back.

At one time he was the highest rated corner in his draft.....

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...xpos&order=ASC

- Edmund Burke
Old 06-17-2008   #4
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

4.42? That's weird.. cause apparently to the Falcon's fans, JW was too slow to play CB and too soft to play FS. He also came into camp at 240, so that didn't help him keep his job.
Old 06-17-2008   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
4.42? That's weird.. cause apparently to the Falcon's fans, JW was too slow to play CB and too soft to play FS. He also came into camp at 240, so that didn't help him keep his job.
240?? Holy Cow!!!
Old 06-17-2008   #6
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
240 and running a 4.42? Let's toss him into our Strong Safety mill.
Old 06-17-2008   #7
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

He came into camp at 240........damn no wonder the kid got cut, he must be lazy and just doesn't care about football.

- Edmund Burke
Sponsored links
Old 06-17-2008   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
4.42 at 213 lbs.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #9
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

LOL!!! I actually wanted him with our 2nd round pick over that guy who's name escapes me that we ended up getting...

Old 06-17-2008   #10
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
4.42 at 213 lbs.
No I meant his performance the past season. They said he was slow and I thought 4.42 was good speed for a DB, I guess it didn't translate during the game.

He showed up to camp at 240 this past OTA, and that of course hinder his speed.
Old 06-17-2008   #11
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
LOL!!! I actually wanted him with our 2nd round pick over that guy who's name escapes me that we ended up getting...

Me too, I wanted him or Eric Winston. When they chose DeMeco I was like. But this was before I started to follow the draft closely and actually research the prospects instead of just listening to the hype and media.
Old 06-19-2008   #12
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105596 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

They say he wasn't cut for lack of talent, but because Mike Smith wants to get rid of all of Mike Vick's friends and apaprently Williams is one.

I'd take a shot at him, maybe at CB. He would be a better nickle than Faggins
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #13
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

We already have a glut on safeties but if he is worth a damn, why not give him a look if his background looks ok?
Old 06-20-2008   #14
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
They say he wasn't cut for lack of talent, but because Mike Smith wants to get rid of all of Mike Vick's friends and apaprently Williams is one.

I'd take a shot at him, maybe at CB. He would be a better nickle than Faggins
I agree. We were kicking around the idea at DGDB&D, and the general consensus was that dude needs a change of scenery. Our secondary isn't exactly rock solid right now, so taking a chance on a guy who is just a couple of years removed from being a topflight prospect couldn't hurt.

Dude is 6'3" and if drops 10lbs (the blurb I read said dude was only 230), he'd be primed for some Ray Rhodes tutelage.

I say give him a shot.

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I looked last night on the iternet but haven't heard any teams checking him out yet
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #16
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm down. bring him in. if we do though, that means we've got to cut 5 instead of 4 before TC. Whose that 5th guy?

here are the guys that i could see being cut. either because we have too much depth at that position, i've never heard their name mentioned by the coaches or media, injury or age:

so if we were to bring in williams, who are your five? (remember the young guys can be cut and practice squaded.)

60 Fenton, Mark C 6-4 295 Colorado 1st
41 Williams, Jimmy CB 5-11 190 Vanderbilt 7th
92 Zgonina, Jeff DT 6-2 290 Purdue 16th
45 Abbate, Jon FB 5-11 245 Wake Forest 2nd
70 Weary, Fred G 6-4 308 Tennessee 6th
53 Coley, Kevis LB 6-1 228 So Mississippi 2nd
61 Richardson, Marcus LB 6-3 225 Troy 1st
25 Ferguson, Nick S 5-10 201 Georgia Tech 10th
31 Harrison, Brandon S 6-2 215 Stanford 2nd
74 Salaam, Ephraim T 6-7 302 San Diego State 11th
77 Spencer, Charles T 6-4 337 Pittsburgh 3rd
84 Jenkins, Darnell * WR 5-10 188 Miami 1st
16 Carter, Tim WR 6-0 187 Auburn 7th
13 Simmons, Mark WR 5-10 187 Kansas 2nd

my guesses are:
Fenton
Zgonina
Abbate (PS)
Spencer
Simmons (PS)
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #17
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This finishes Atlanta's purge of Hokies. At one point--when Art Blank was letting Michael Vick run the show--they publicly proclaimed their fealty to drafting VT players because of their "athletic arrogance". We saw where that led them, and now they are purposely cutting all ties in an effort to make a new start. Once they drafted Matt Ryan, it was clear they were never going back to Vick no matter when he got out of jail or off suspension. With the dumping of Me-Lo, Williams could see that he was probably next. Still, pretty inexcusable to show up to OTAs at 240.

Fact is, he did not cut it in Atlanta even when he was in shape and they did not see Hokies as public-relations embarassments. I would stay away.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
so if we were to bring in williams, who are your five? (remember the young guys can be cut and practice squaded.)
No.

Guys who are cut before training camp aren't going to make the PS. You put people on the PS after training camp. They have to make it through training camp.

And you don't want to go into TC with just two fullbacks. You've got too many reps to go around. So Abbate probably goes to training camp and then gets PSd at the end.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #19
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

k. so who do you cut then?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
k. so who do you cut then?
Well, not having been there and having no real idea how the guys performed in OTAs and mini-camp...

Spencer
Richardson
M. Simmons
Williams
Carter

That allows guys like Moffitt, Jenkins, Abbate, and Fenton to be able to make it through training camp and end up on the PS.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read