Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-15-2008   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default CC Brown

I was listening to Sirius' NFL station on the way back from Orlando earlier today. CC called in. Before they got him on the line, they started talking about the team, and our young secondary.

They talked about CC like he might be a highly sought after Free Agent at the end of the year.

I like CC, I know he isn't very popular here, but I thought it was a nice interview.
Old 06-15-2008   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: CC Brown

He's a guy with a lot of starters experience in the NFL, I imagine there would be a lot of teams that would like to have that experience on their team.
Old 06-15-2008   #3
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

His problem is that he hasn't developed into some big playmaker. He gets a lot of tackles, but he doesn't have a whole lot of interceptions or forced fumbles to his name.

He's a run stuffer, not much of a coverage guy. He might be sought after if he puts up a great season this year, but I don't expect any teams to try to mortgage their future to get C.C. Brown.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
His problem is that he hasn't developed into some big playmaker. He gets a lot of tackles, but he doesn't have a whole lot of interceptions or forced fumbles to his name.

He's a run stuffer, not much of a coverage guy. He might be sought after if he puts up a great season this year, but I don't expect any teams to try to mortgage their future to get C.C. Brown.
He also takes poor angles sometimes....and that is something you can't do back there since you are the "safe" T. Unless he has a breakthrough year I don't see him as all that coveted next season.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #5
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I can see him as franchisable-he's always around the ball like Will Demps, those two were such an odd pair as safeties last year cause they aren't great playmakers but they're always around the football. He plays the run well and has good instincts which is a lot of what the safety position entails.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #6
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we've been preparing for the post-CC Brown era since last season. With the additions of Harrison, Mitchell, and Barber and the re-signing of Demps, I think we let both Earl and Brown walk next season
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #7
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I can see him as franchisable-he's always around the ball like Will Demps, those two were such an odd pair as safeties last year cause they aren't great playmakers but they're always around the football. He plays the run well and has good instincts which is a lot of what the safety position entails.
Are you serious? Franchisable? Pay him the average of the top 5 safetys in the league? No WAY we do that. Maybe we give him a decent offer. Right now we have 3 or 4 players you might consider applying the franchise tag to if their time was up.... MW/DR/pre injury Drob/AJ/Sage (ok Sage is a joke)..... CC is not anywhere NEAR franchise tag material.

Bad angles and ball hawking skill. He's adequate as a starter but he's not worth that kind of money.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-16-2008   #8
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Are you serious? Franchisable? Pay him the average of the top 5 safetys in the league? No WAY we do that. Maybe we give him a decent offer. Right now we have 3 or 4 players you might consider applying the franchise tag to if their time was up.... MW/DR/pre injury Drob/AJ/Sage (ok Sage is a joke)..... CC is not anywhere NEAR franchise tag material.

Bad angles and ball hawking skill. He's adequate as a starter but he's not worth that kind of money.

Mike
I agree with you CC Brown is solid at best I just can't see the Texans giving him top 5 money like Bob Sanders & ED Reed.
Old 06-16-2008   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's almost as good a candidate to franchise as Anthony Weaver or Ephraim Salaam.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While I think that Brown probably gets more negative comments than he deserves, he is still an average NFL safety overall, He is the type of player you want to sign for moderate dollars, not franchise. You save that for the playmakers, which you admit (correctly so) Brown is not.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefuly, some team will need a solid but not spectacular safety during the season and offer a draft pick for CC.
Old 06-16-2008   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Personally, I think CC gets a bad rep, because our front 7 can't stop the run, and our CBs can't cover.

I'm not saying he is the best thing in the secondary, but I don't think he's had the luxury of playing safety.

Now, Bob Sanders is on a team that can't stop the run with their front 7, and so he looks like a playmaker. When that front seven gets better, and they don't need him to make those plays, we'll see how he plays in coverage. Much like what has happened to Roy Williams with the Cowboys.

Ed Reed IMHO, is a real safety. Kerry Rhodes of the Jets, another good safety, doing what safeties should be doing.

Our front seven have just got a lot better, with Colvin & Okam(I think), and CC said Ray Rhodes is really helping him learn the game, and understand what's happening, and why, so hopefully he'll be able to anticipate what the other teams are trying to do, and become more of a playmaker.

I honestly don't think he and Earl have been starting on our team for so long, simply because of attrition.
Old 06-16-2008   #13
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I think CC gets a bad rep because when he misses, it ends up in a score.

As has been said (I think it was Vinny) you just can't have brain farts back there.
Old 06-16-2008   #14
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

I personally think CC gets a bad rep because...well....he kinda plays poor football.

He is the safety....last line of defense, and he takes bad angles, and gets burnt in coverage. That, combined with a lack of ballhawk skills, puts him at LEAST in the bottom 3rd of safeties in the league. Whoever said franchise....perish the thought.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #15
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we've got young safeties in the backfield and it really sucks we didn't get to see what Harrison, out of Stanford, could do last year.

Do I think he sucks? Eh middle of the road at best. I think they'll let him walk next year with some of these young safeties getting more PT this year.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #16
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
He also takes poor angles sometimes....and that is something you can't do back there since you are the "safe" T. Unless he has a breakthrough year I don't see him as all that coveted next season.
ditto. CC has improved somewhat, but he is still not in the top 32 safeties in the NFL and I doubt he ever will be. I could see him losing his starting spot this year if Earl is back full strength.
Old 06-16-2008   #17
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pretty sure CC is our team's backup plan for the mic'd helmet on the field when Demeco comes off. Seems to me our staff must have some trust in him and his presence on the field to do that. He's not a superstar but he is a constant presence for this team, and the only defensive starter aside of Greenwood and Dunta (when healthy), that survived the changing of the guard when Capers left.

I wouldn't be surprised/upset to see him go after this season, but I think he does a decent job back there.

edit: I guess TJ would still qualify as a hold over starter as well...
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #18
Polo

I think that as a SS C.C. is fine...

Not a bad ball player at all...
Old 06-16-2008   #19
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I think that as a SS C.C. is fine...

Not a bad ball player at all...
at least offer some kind of evidence to support your opinion. I honestly would like to know why somebody would have a positive impression of CC Brown as a safety for the Houston Texans. I've watched him play for years and I dont see it.
Old 06-16-2008   #20
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I was listening to Sirius' NFL station on the way back from Orlando earlier today. CC called in. Before they got him on the line, they started talking about the team, and our young secondary.

They talked about CC like he might be a highly sought after Free Agent at the end of the year.

I like CC, I know he isn't very popular here, but I thought it was a nice interview.

Why would any teams be jumping at C.C Brown?? He's been a hole in the scondary for a while now, and I personally can't wait until we get a replacement. Brown and Earl both have been poor safties for the Texans. Hopefully one of these young guys can take their job ASAP.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read