Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-13-2008   #1
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Two More Released

So much for Grice-Mullen's potential. Too bad he was never on the field to show the coaches anything.

Quote:
The Texans released safety Curome Cox and wide receiver Ryan Grice-Mullen on Friday, executing their second round of roster cuts this week.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4373
Old 06-13-2008   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Two More Released

Well, they had their cup of coffee.
Old 06-13-2008   #3
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Never noticed them.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Never noticed them.
Cox was a darn good special teamer last season. He had 3 tackles in the final Jags game alone.

But yeah, I see your point.
Old 06-13-2008   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to admit I'm surprised about Cox. I expected him to at least make it into camp. He worked really hard for us last year.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #6
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 14 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Grice-Mullen had several things against him:

1. His size. Kubiak's system emphasizes bigger receivers who can gain yards after the catch and also block downfield to help in the run game.

2. His college scheme. The run-and-shoot is just a little too different from the system that most NFL teams use. It is a difficult transition.

3. His injury. Getting hurt and not being able to compete at all during OTA's makes it practically impossible for an undrafted free agent to make the team, and in Grice-Mullen's case to even make it to training camp.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #7
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 112650 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I have to admit I'm surprised about Cox. I expected him to at least make it into camp. He worked really hard for us last year.
So am I.
I wonder does this move speak to the improvement of the Brandon brothers, Harrison and Mitchell...?
Old 06-13-2008   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why is this in the NFL forum?
Old 06-13-2008   #9
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 14 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

It's in the Texans talk forum.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

It must have gotten moved back. It was in NFL for a while
Old 06-13-2008   #11
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I guess I'm a little surprised at both cuts. I kept hearing how fast Grice-Mullen is and figured they would at least put him on the PS to develop. As for Cox, I thought since he played OK last year he might have a chance to make the team, at least through TC. Oh well. How many more cuts are there? 4?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #12
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 112650 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Well, I guess I'm a little surprised at both cuts. I kept hearing how fast Grice-Mullen is and figured they would at least put him on the PS to develop. As for Cox, I thought since he played OK last year he might have a chance to make the team, at least through TC. Oh well. How many more cuts are there? 4?
Can't he still be put on the P/S if he clears waivers?
Old 06-14-2008   #13
barrett
Hall of Fame

Section: 636
Rep Power: 1155 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

there are just too many safeties for cox to earn a spot. even as an above average special teamer.

mullen was hurt. that's probably one of the greatest highlights of the new regime. we've got depth now at almost every position and if you're unproven and you're hurt... you're gone. no time to lolly-gag with unproven guys. too many proven productive players that are healthy and hungry.

speaking of hungry... i need a sandwich.
Old 06-14-2008   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Can't he still be put on the P/S if he clears waivers?
You don't create the practice squad until training camp is over. And it's rare to cut a guy before training camp, not bring him back, and then put him on the PS. That's usually for guys you actually took the time to work with a li'l bit.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

To add:

G-M played mostly in the slot against mostly a nickel or dime back on mostly second-third tier schools.

There were times he couldn't even get seperation.

How is he supposed to do it at this level?

I like the kid and all, but he can use time in a developmental league.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #16
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11091 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

According to the Chronicle article the Texans still have 84 on their roster. The Texans website has 83 as does my own board at home. I wonder if the Chronicle is still couning Chukky Okobi. The settlement announcement was pretty quiet and may have flown under the radar. Oh well.
Old 06-14-2008   #17
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
According to the Chronicle article the Texans still have 84 on their roster. The Texans website has 83 as does my own board at home. I wonder if the Chronicle is still couning Chukky Okobi. The settlement announcement was pretty quiet and may have flown under the radar. Oh well.
You mean to imply that the Chronicle may not be up to date on what the Texans are doing in the offseason? You mean the General and his two lady friends might not have all the information that is Texans even when they are the local beatwriters for the team? Why, I could never fathom that one in a million years.

I'd go use your depth chart as a reference before I'd use the Chronicle's. In the words of Stephen A. Smith "They're turrrrrible".
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #18
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well Cox was a contributor as y'all have stated, and I really wanted GM to have a chance to show if he could compete at this level, but we are stacked at WR and will prolly only carry 4-5 in the season, so I knew it was a long shot.
Old 06-14-2008   #19
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Ms. Bentley implied 84 in her article and I'm guessing Manful lifted that number from that article. I'm in the 83 camp along with ht.com and Ourlads. I shot Bentley an email to see if she could clarify.

Just for grins, I went to the Texans/NFL site on chron.com to see what they were showing for a Texans roster. I had never visited that page before so I was expecting the worst. I noticed it was last updated this morning so I thought to myself, wow, maybe they're keeping it up. But then my lack of faith in the chron was restored when I saw they still have Kevin Barry listed on the roster (didn't he go down in training camp last year and never come back?) plus they don't have Abbate, Gabe Long, Moffit, Nading or Marcus Richardson listed. Actually I'm surprised it was that accurate for the lazy uninspired hacks they are.

Last edited by aj.; 06-14-2008 at 12:55 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Ms. Bentley implied 84 in her article and I'm guessing Manful lifted that number from that article. I'm in the 83 camp along with ht.com and Ourlads. I shot Bentley an email to see if she could clarify.

Just for grins, I went to the Texans/NFL site on chron.com to see what they were showing for a Texans roster. I had never visited that page before so I was expecting the worst. I noticed it was last updated this morning so I thought to myself, wow, maybe they're keeping it up. But then my lack of faith in the chron was restored when I saw they still have Kevin Barry listed on the roster (didn't he go down in training camp last year and never come back?) plus they don't have Abbate, Gabe Long, Moffit, Nading or Marcus Richardson listed. Actually I'm surprised it was that accurate for the lazy uninspired hacks they are.

Just had to put together an mnemonic for the occasion:

Can’t
Have
Refreshing
Opinions
Nor
Insight
Cause
Laziness
Emanates
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read