Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sage wants a chance to be a starter.

J-Russ

Veteran
Sage Rosenfels' bio on the Houston Texans' Web site describes him as a "valuable backup quarterback with the ability to start in the NFL."

Those are nice words, but the former Iowa State quarterback from Maquoketa would like to see them read "valuable starter."

"I understand Matt's the starter," Rosenfels said last week in a telephone interview. "But I feel I'm in my prime."

Then it's back to living the life of an NFL player, back to practice, back to being a backup.

"Last year made me want to play more and more," he said. "Now, I feel, I'm closer than I've ever been."

All he wants is a chance.

http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080607/SPORTS/611759381

As a QB on your team, you want him to have that kind of fire/desire. Being happy as a backup would be sad.

But..Sage has had opps and he ended up here. He won't be a distraction. We all wanna win.

I think Sage would make for a serviceable starter. He did very well for us last year and Im glad he is still here. I dont feel we are in any way obligated to trade him so that he can be a starting QB. He signed the contract, he is ours. If (god forbid) Matt gets injured or gets in a terrible slump, Sage can step in and lead the offense with confidence. Otherwise he will be a backup. Sorry Sage, love you buddy but thats the way it is.

Nice find. The first time I ever considered Sage as a potential starter was when he threw for three TDs in place of a benched Carr (2006 game at Tennessee). And had it not been for Pac Man making it rain on Sage's parade, we would have been sitting at a managable 3-4 instead of a pitiful 2-5.

It makes you wonder what would have been if we would have kept Carr on the bench for the rest of the season.

Sage is the perfect fit as a backup QB. He wants to start, knows he has the ability to start, prepares to start, but won't be a poison in the locker room if he doesn't start. When he has the chance to play, his teammates trust him and the team won't fall apart when he's in there.

If the situation were reversed, Schaub would be the same way.

You have to like having a team full of competitors who still put the team first. Just like Salaam being upset that Duane Brown was working with the first team all through OTA's. Salaam felt it should have been him, but he still helped Brown learn the position even though it ultimately means that Brown takes his job.

I've been pegged as a Sage apologist, and I haven't posted on this in probably two or three months.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about WHICH guy is better/best...I think you have to be honest with yourself and at least prepare yourself for the big hit that Schaub is probably going to take (at some point), and then what do you think is going to happen?

Sage is going to run the offense. And technically, he'll probably start a game or two in Matt's absence. But with the shoulder injury Matt had...and the types of defenses we face in Indy-Jax-Tenn (twice for each team), not to mention the Steelers and the Ravens, I just think Sage is going to find himself on the field at some point.

So there's no need for him to get anxious about "if" he'll be starter; it's more of a "when" situation. Yet I bet he'd like to go into a season with the tag of being named the starter (which is proably what he's referrig to). I have ZERO faith that Schaub can last the season. It's not a deal of me being a hater. It's a deal of probabilities. And, to the credit of a lot of posters here: Sage HAS had his chances and he's a hit or miss guy. I won't argue it.

I'm shocked, shocked...that Sage isn't satisfied at being our number two for perpetuity.

wth? Who would? If they knew they had the ability to be a capable starter in the league, and shown it the past season, of course they wouldn't be satisfy going back to being #2 the next season. Not to mention there's teams out there that wanted him and is in need of a starting QB. Like the article said, he feels like he's entering his prime and he still stuck as #2 QB to his team. I don't know about youl guys but I feel bad for him, but then again its only for one more season.

I'm sorry, but Sage is the better quarterback. Sage also tastes good on everything, including spicy foods.

Have you tried Schaub on anything? If not, how can you compare? If so, we really don't want to know the details.

wth? Who would? If they knew they had the ability to be a capable starter in the league, and shown it the past season, of course they wouldn't be satisfy going back to being #2 the next season. Not to mention there's teams out there that wanted him and is in need of a starting QB. Like the article said, he feels like he's entering his prime and he still stuck as #2 QB to his team. I don't know about youl guys but I feel bad for him, but then again its only for one more season.

TTP I think you need to use this..... :sarcasm:

I'm glad he has the competitive fire and I'm glad this wasn't in the light of "I want to start, trade me now".

Sage can run this offense well, I think he proved this, but I think he makes too many mistakes and that Schaub's ceiling is higher.

TTP I think you need to use this..... :sarcasm:

I'm glad he has the competitive fire and I'm glad this wasn't in the light of "I want to start, trade me now".

Sage can run this offense well, I think he proved this, but I think he makes too many mistakes and that Schaub's ceiling is higher.

Well of course he was kidding. Any person with a ounce of humor would've know he was jking. I was just putting down how I felt about the situation.

Nice find. The first time I ever considered Sage as a potential starter was when he threw for three TDs in place of a benched Carr (2006 game at Tennessee). And had it not been for Pac Man making it rain on Sage's parade, we would have been sitting at a managable 3-4 instead of a pitiful 2-5.

It makes you wonder what would have been if we would have kept Carr on the bench for the rest of the season.

Do you remember how we got so far behind in that game?

Mike

Mike

Nope those kind of facts are glossed over.

I'm not surprised one bit he wants and feels like he should be a starter. He has to lament his chances in D.C. and Miami. He could very well be the next Rich Gannon but I see more the next A.J. Feeley.

http://www.nfl.com/players/a.j.feeley/profile?id=FEE447935
http://www.nfl.com/players/sagerosenfels/profile?id=ROS396938

I think he'd do well to enjoy another year under Kubiak and hopefully push his game to where he can make more then a game manager type QB.

Nope those kind of facts are glossed over.

I'm not surprised one bit he wants and feels like he should be a starter. He has to lament his chances in D.C. and Miami. He could very well be the next Rich Gannon but I see more the next A.J. Feeley.

http://www.nfl.com/players/a.j.feeley/profile?id=FEE447935
http://www.nfl.com/players/sagerosenfels/profile?id=ROS396938

I think he'd do well to enjoy another year under Kubiak and hopefully push his game to where he can make more then a game manager type QB.

S. Rosenfels 22/35 290 4 3

Seems to me if he hadn't thrown ain INT per quarter for the first 3 1/2 quarters, we wouldn't have needed amazing 1/8th of a game from him. Oh but we'll always remember it as the comeback that almost was. I think I remember him having a fumble or two as well.

S. Rosenfels 22/35 290 4 3

Seems to me if he hadn't thrown ain INT per quarter for the first 3 1/2 quarters, we wouldn't have needed amazing 1/8th of a game from him. Oh but we'll always remember it as the comeback that almost was. I think I remember him having a fumble or two as well.

You forgot the lost fumble.

On edit no you didn't.

Schaub will be injured at some point in the season and Serge will get his chance to go on a winning streak and put the coaching staff in a dilema.

:gun:

Serge will get his chance to go on a winning streak and put the coaching staff in a dilema.
This Serge?
portrait_b_pinchot.jpg

What happened to his job at the Beverly Hills art gallery? If I were to guess, I'd say he throws like a girl. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I swear there is a contingent here that hopes Schuab gets hurt so there GF serge gets into the game and can prove people right or wrong.

WTF is it with predicting a guy will get hurt? Stay assy so-called Texans Fans.

What happened to his job at the Beverly Hills art gallery? If I were to guess, I'd say he throws like a girl. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Did you not see the end? Obviously he doesn't have a job anymore with Victor Maitlen being shot by Axel Foley. Duh!

IMO, Sage's potential as a starter would be a notch or two above game manager.

Definitely not a bad thing and definitely something you can win with.

IMO, Sage's potential as a starter would be a notch or two above game manager.

Definitely not a bad thing and definitely something you can win with.

OK you might be able to win with a guy who is a notch above game manager. But if your goal is a superbowl, well that's probably not going to happen. The fact that you can name the last two game managers to win a superbowl should tell you something.

IMHO Sage is Commander Cody the second. He's a guy who has great leadership abilities and can put it all together for short spurts of time, but if he sees extended PT his weaknesses will be exposed. For Carlson it was small hands. For Sage its poor decision making and inaccurate passes.

Mike

OK you might be able to win with a guy who is a notch above game manager. But if your goal is a superbowl, well that's probably not going to happen. The fact that you can name the last two game managers to win a superbowl should tell you something.

IMHO Sage is Commander Cody the second. He's a guy who has great leadership abilities and can put it all together for short spurts of time, but if he sees extended PT his weaknesses will be exposed. For Carlson it was small hands. For Sage its poor decision making and inaccurate passes.

Mike

I don't disagree with you.

I'm a Matt Schaub fan....I'm saying that I think Sage doesn't have the potential Matt does...

IMO...

Sage's potential = notch or two above game manager

Matt's potential = playmaker

I don't disagree with you.

I'm a Matt Schaub fan....I'm saying that I think Sage doesn't have the potential Matt does...

IMO...

Sage's potential = notch or two above game manager

Matt's potential = playmaker

And I don't think Sage has starter potential. I think he's a great backup, but much like Carlson (if you watched us in the post Moon era, I'm sorry to bring it up) if he sees extended time as a starter he will quickly become a bad QB.

Mike

And I don't think Sage has starter potential. I think he's a great backup, but much like Carlson (if you watched us in the post Moon era, I'm sorry to bring it up) if he sees extended time as a starter he will quickly become a bad QB.

Mike

Oh ok...

Well then I do disagree....

I think Sage IS capable of being a starter....I think initially he may try to do too much, but as he settled into the role he'd be a guy that'd be a notch or two above game manager....

I think Sage has the talent to be a starter on some teams, depending on the team and how they run their offense. For us, he's a game winner and has proven he can step in and do the job. I'd like to see us keep Sage rather than trade him because as far as I'm concerned, Schaub still hasn't proven he can be a starter for 16 games and take us into the playoffs.

I hopeing Schaub proves himself this year and becomes the QB a lot of you think he already is. Until then, Sage is gold.

I think Sage is good. However, I still don't know how he plays if the opponent gets to prepare for him on a weekly basis.

I do know that our starting QB is going to have to be real sharp this year, and he most likely is practicing that way because Sage is expressing how badly he wants to start. More comp the better IMO.

If the starting QB can't perform under that pressure than we know Sage is our guy.

Mike

Not quite sure I understand your question. From what I remember, Carr's three turnovers gave a then terrible Titan's team all the momentum they needed. Sage threw that pick to Pac Man (making it rain all over Sage's parade). Take away that one costly mistake, and I think Sage goes on to win the game.

Matters on who we signed as the #3 QB........Sage Rosenfels broke his hand and was done for the year.
Yeah - that's right. I forgot about that and all the conspiracy theories that followed. In my defense, I've tried to suppress the memories of the D.C. era - it makes my fandom a lot less burdensome.
:texflag:

From Sage threw that pick to Pac Man (making it rain all over Sage's parade). Take away that one costly mistake, and I think Sage goes on to win the game.

That was also a very well thrown ball that was placed right in front of Andre Johnson and it bounced out of his hands. That throw would've provided us a 1st down and we could've won that game.

Mike

If you define "NFL starter" as being one of the 32 best QB's in the NFL, then I strongly believe Sage qualifies. That said, nobody gets excited about having the 27th best QB in the league. If you define it as having the capability of taking a team to a Super Bowl title, than probably not. (Please note that not actually winning a Super Bowl doesn't mean someone didn't have the capability to do it as with Moon, Marino, and Fouts to name three.)

Schaub may or may not have that capability. We really haven't had the opportunity to find out yet. One partial year gives us some cause for concern and some cause for optimism, but no answers yet.

Right now, I believe Sage's true value lies in being an insurance policy while we find out more about Schaub, but I believe the answer at QB for the Texans is either Schaub, or is not currently on the roster.

Not quite sure I understand your question. From what I remember, Carr's three turnovers gave a then terrible Titan's team all the momentum they needed. Sage threw that pick to Pac Man (making it rain all over Sage's parade). Take away that one costly mistake, and I think Sage goes on to win the game.

You are talking about a different game I believe. The 4 TD game by Sage was in relief of Schaub, not Sage.

Yeah - that's right. I forgot about that and all the conspiracy theories that followed. In my defense, I've tried to suppress the memories of the D.C. era - it makes my fandom a lot less burdensome.

:confused: Carr wasn't in that game.

Schaub & Sage are system QB's. their experience & proven NFL play make both viable starting material. I'm fine with not trading Sage for that 3rd pick to the Vikings, here you have a 100 million dollar franchise so you spend 2-3% on QB insurance. Boyd or Brink would have to step up in a big way to part ways with the Sage policy :)

Yes he was. 2006 Tennessee Titans game - in Tennessee. Carr was benched in the third quarter. Mario sacked VY - the first meeting of the two - remember?

Yes that game but most of us are talking about the Titans game last year in 2007.

I'm with you though the faster we move away from the D.C era the better.

You are talking about a different game I believe. The 4 TD game by Sage was in relief of Schaub, not Sage.

Exactly - I'm not talking about last years game. I'm going back to two years ago, when Sage replaced a benched Carr. Anyway - yeah man, it's in the original post back a page.

Yes that game but most of us are talking about the Titans game last year in 2007.

I'm with you though the faster we move away from the D.C era the better.

Yeah but, I was responding to Mike's/Carr Bomb's responses to my original post - which was about the 06 game. My contention was: that game in 06 was the first time I thought that Sage could be a starting quarterback in this league. Not to say that I'd rather have Rosenfels over Schaub, but I think the dude has the chops to be a starting QB, in the right system.

If you define "NFL starter" as being one of the 32 best QB's in the NFL, then I strongly believe Sage qualifies. That said, nobody gets excited about having the 27th best QB in the league. If you define it as having the capability of taking a team to a Super Bowl title, than probably not. (Please note that not actually winning a Super Bowl doesn't mean someone didn't have the capability to do it as with Moon, Marino, and Fouts to name three.)

Schaub may or may not have that capability. We really haven't had the opportunity to find out yet. One partial year gives us some cause for concern and some cause for optimism, but no answers yet.

Right now, I believe Sage's true value lies in being an insurance policy while we find out more about Schaub, but I believe the answer at QB for the Texans is either Schaub, or is not currently on the roster.

Ok. Let me define my position further then. I want a starter who has the ability to lead a quality team to the SB win. Note I said LEAD. Moon Fouts and Marino all had the talent. Moon, Marino and Fouts were all capable of taking a team to the top, they just didn't have the supporting cast or they had something go DRASTICALLY wrong (buddy ryan going into a prevent defense with 12 mins left int he THIRD quarter for example). The talent in this league is so watered down right now that you're right he is one of the 32 best QBs in the league. But he's not a QUALITY starter. I think you and I are pretty much in agreement there. He is somewhere between the 25th and 32nd best qb in the league right now, which really says more about the talent (or lack there of) in the league than it does his ability to come in and start.

As for Schaub, you're exactly right. Thus far we don't know if he can be a starter in this league. We've seen flashes. All indications are he can. He and Sage didn't perform that differently last year but the difference and what puts Schaub ahead of Sage in my book is that Schaub hasn't had the chance to prove he's not a starter. Schaub had flashes of brilliance and flashes of DC in him last year. I expect that from a 3rd year player on a new team with a new system. I don't expect that from a 6th or 7th year starter who's been on the team 2 years and played a decent amount. Its a wait and see game, and the Texans know that.

To sum it up. Sage could start for a handful of teams in this league. If he did, they would still be bottom feeders. Schaub has shown flashes of brilliance. He has shown flashes of disaster. We need to find out with Schaub and either commit to him as the starter for the future, or figure out he's not what we thought he was and move on. FTR I think he's what we thought he was.

Mike

Yeah but, I was responding to Mike's/Carr Bomb's responses to my original post - which was about the 06 game. My contention was: that game in 06 was the first time I thought that Sage could be a starting quarterback in this league. Not to say that I'd rather have Rosenfels over Schaub, but I think the dude has the chops to be a starting QB, in the right system.

My mistake. I saw Sage, and Texans and didn't see the year. Then again if that's the first time you thought he could be a successful start in this league, hopefully it was followed shortly afterwards with a smack of reality.

Mike

...Schaub has shown flashes of brilliance. He has shown flashes of disaster...
Where were the flashes of disaster? Matt had a bad game in San Diego. As did everyone else. He had a bad 1st half here vs. the Titans. As did everyone else. I don't remember thinking "Matt's a disaster" during either game.

Matt has some questions to answer regarding staying on the field. But when he and the rest of the offense were healthy, Schaub has proven he can get the job done.

Where were the flashes of disaster? Matt had a bad game in San Diego. As did everyone else. He had a bad 1st half here vs. the Titans. As did everyone else. I don't remember thinking "Matt's a disaster" during either game.

Matt has some questions to answer regarding staying on the field. But when he and the rest of the offense were healthy, Schaub has proven he can get the job done.

To this point, Matt has been abysmial in the red zone.

This is coming from a guy who was lobying for him well before there were any reports saying we were actually interested in him. I'm one of his biggest supporters and have been since day -100 but he has looked lost in the red zone for the most part.
Mike

To this point, Matt has been abysmial in the red zone.

This is coming from a guy who was lobying for him well before there were any reports saying we were actually interested in him. I'm one of his biggest supporters and have been since day -100 but he has looked lost in the red zone for the most part.
Mike

Not to play the excuse game here, but we didn't really have an NFL calibre running game at the time either. There were a few games we were unable to punch it in the endzone in 3 plays as well as being unable to get a yard on 4th down.

IMO, ridding ourselves of Dayne and adding Gibbs alone will allow the passing game to open up for more opportunities in the Redzone.

:fans:

My mistake. I saw Sage, and Texans and didn't see the year. Then again if that's the first time you thought he could be a successful start in this league, hopefully it was followed shortly afterwards with a smack of reality.

Mike

Not a problem. Let's just put it this way - it was at that point I thought Sage was the better option than Carr. You can continue hating on Sage all you want, it won't hurt my feelings, however, I don't think a team with Sage at the helm is an automatic bottom feeder. On a team with a good defense and running game, I think Sage is capable enough to lead a contender.

Back