Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-26-2004   #41
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe Virginia is playing tomorrow around 1:00 I'm looking forward to seeing Ahmad Brooks, since some of you guys have raved so highly about him should be a good watch
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004   #42
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default look at the trends

(OLT through free agency, stop gap to groom Wand)

#1 RB- only possition where starter is needed to take pressure off DD
(Wells might have high trade value) (Texans had tried to get L Jordan before)

#2 DL- speed off the edge

#3 CB- groomed to replace AG

#3B, #4, #5- role players: TE ILB WR
cj5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #43
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

number one priority is the offensive line. walker is holding the d-line back but with his paycheck i doubt our starters are going to see any transitions next season ... we still start walker/payne/smith. i dont watch much college ball so i'm not even going to attempt to match names to positions yet.

o-line ... if we can upgrade c/g through free agency or trade, great. if not, use 1st or 2nd on it. this is our top priority

qb ... is gonna be fine with carr, symons, & ragone

tightend ... why bother drafting one if we're not even going to use him? in the year of the tightend our best receiving tightend has only 14 receptions. (compared to his previous 51 & 40). cross your fingers and hope bennie j isnt a complete bust.

wr ... look great. bradford leaves and armstrong takes his spot with starling as #4

rb ... i have full faith in DD. hollings however looks like a bust so if we can pick up a specialty back later in the draft, groovy.

d-line ... can usually be picked up with atleast 1 of our 3rd round picks.

lb ... should be in good shape if we can eliminate foreman. move wong to the inside & start peek. we're still lacking in depth though. load up on bdpa on the second day.

cb ... could be in trouble soon. glenn is losing steps rapidly but faggins is picking them up quickly. a 2nd or 3rd round here would be a good option.

s ... pretty good shape. i thought coleman looked real good for the most part and earl's improvement each game is exactly what we need. mccree if he sticks around is a solid backup
Old 12-28-2004   #44
AlexVanderpool
Veteran

I think that we definately need to have a perrenial pro bowl caliber player on both the offensive and defensive lines.

we dont have anyone on the DL that requires a double team...just think of how potent babin and peek would be if the OL had to double team a defensive end...

Same thing applies to the offense line. A bone fide "blue chip" talent at tackle or guard would go a long way to give carr and davis more time to do their thing.

We already have good to great playmakers at the skills positions on both sides of the ball. (qb, wr, rb, te, lb, cb, s) Now we need some 1st round hosses (barron, brikshaw, rod wright, etc.) to allow them to really shine...
AlexVanderpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #45
texansfan88
All Pro

The biggest weakness on this team is SS

As much as some like Glen Earl, he's not the playmaker they really need on the defense. A guy like Thomas Davis or Ernest Shazor would be good

Secondly, left guard is a position i'm worried about. Pitts isn't getting any better. A guy like David Baas is likely going to drop to about pick #60 just b/c of other talent in the draft. Good G/C prospect

The offense needs another playmaker. The offense looked terrible again in the 2nd half versus Jacksonville, and if you take away DD's 2 big runs, he had very little. A tight end threat like Heath Miller in the 1st or a guy like Vincent Jackson in the 3rd would be good. If they wanted to go receiver like the Lions did, Larry Brackins from Pearl River Community College will be available in the 1st and possibly early 2nd round if we were to trade up. At 6'4 220 he is a very physical, very fun to watch player. He was recruited by USC, LSU and Miami (FL) but couldn't make it accademically. He's a 21 year old soph. meaning he's good to go and not to mention, has a 40 inch vertical. The team that gets him will be one lucky team for many years to come
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #46
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

OLT - As said, unless there is a stud at LT we will not draft one early. In order to get a "stud", we would have to trade up.
C- Steve McKinney is getting mauled by just about every NT/DT he faces. His finesse game might have worked in Indy (with a good surrounding cast) but it doesn't cut it here. They really need to find his eventual replacement this offseason.
RB - DD is adequate but doesn't seem to hold up for a full season. He also hasn't played well injured. We need a power back in this offseason. If a potential stud drops to us in the 1st round, we might jump on it.
WR - AJ has shown he is a stud. It would be nice to find a true #2 to take the pressure off of him. I don't think they have that on the team right now. They might address this need in free agency. Bradford should be gone.
TE - Joppru has done nothing for the team to date. Bruener and Miller have been inadequate as the complete package. The team wants to run some two tight end formations. It makes sense to take a TE with one of the 3rd round picks.
NT - Payne improved as the season went on but is still not back to his previous form. We could use depth here and it is one of the slower positions to learn. Even if we drafted someone high, he might not start until 2006 or later.
ILB - Foreman is not the answer at ILB, and Sharper's play dipped a bit this season. Speed is definitely needed here. We really need to upgrade here with a first day pick.
DE - Not as big of a priority since we have so much money invested in Walker and Smith. We could use depth and someone to rotate in with these two. Hopefully Walker bounces back next year.
CB - If there is a talented young corner available, they might want to get one as their nickel and the eventual replacement for Glenn. Not a high priority just yet.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004   #47
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22191 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Original comments from TheOgre, with early draft picks added. I'm assuming Rod Wright returns to school. And I'm predicting Chad Green would start as a rookie and make an impact similar to Robinson or Vilma.

C- Steve McKinney is getting mauled by just about every NT/DT he faces. His finesse game might have worked in Indy (with a good surrounding cast) but it doesn't cut it here. They really need to find his eventual replacement this offseason. BEN WILKERSON - 4TH round
RB - DD is adequate but doesn't seem to hold up for a full season. He also hasn't played well injured. We need a power back in this offseason. If a potential stud drops to us in the 1st round, we might jump on it.
WR - AJ has shown he is a stud. It would be nice to find a true #2 to take the pressure off of him. I don't think they have that on the team right now. They might address this need in free agency. Bradford should be gone.
TE - Joppru has done nothing for the team to date. Bruener and Miller have been inadequate as the complete package. The team wants to run some two tight end formations. It makes sense to take a TE with one of the 3rd round picks.
NT - Payne improved as the season went on but is still not back to his previous form. We could use depth here and it is one of the slower positions to learn. Even if we drafted someone high, he might not start until 2006 or later. HALOTI NGATA - 2ND round
ILB - Foreman is not the answer at ILB, and Sharper's play dipped a bit this season. Speed is definitely needed here. We really need to upgrade here with a first day pick. CHAD GREENWAY - 1st round
DE - Not as big of a priority since we have so much money invested in Walker and Smith. We could use depth and someone to rotate in with these two. Hopefully Walker bounces back next year. LUIS CASTILLO - 3A
CB - If there is a talented young corner available, they might want to get one as their nickel and the eventual replacement for Glenn. Not a high priority just yet.

If Greenway returns to school, my first round pick becomes DAVID BAAS - OG
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-17-2005   #48
Joeymousepad
Rookie

The way I see it our priorities go like this:

1)LT- Jammal Brown, Alex Barron, D' Brickashaw Ferguson

2)NT- Rodrique Wirght, Anttaj Hawthorne

3)OG (Both LG and RG)- Elton Brown, David Baas

4)TE- Heath Miller, Alex Smith

5)RB (Cedric Benson already being gone top 5)- Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown
Old 01-17-2005   #49
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Neither Rod Wright nor D'Brickashaw declared for the draft.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005   #50
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

TE, DT, C, MLB

those should be our first day picks. (we have 4)
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005   #51
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22191 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

After this past weekend, my dream draft currently looks like this:

1st Round... DE...Marcus Spears...6'-4"....297#....4.80...Shaun Cody is a close second
2nd Round...OG...David Baas........6'-5"....323#....5.1....Can play any position on the OL; reminds me of Mathews
3A..............OC..Chris Spencer.....6'-4"....310#....5.1....Talented junior decided to come out; can play either guard position
3B..............????best player available-RB, ILB, CB, S

This assumes Elton Brown and Marcus Johnson, both OG's, are selected 1-2 and Baas falls to our 2nd round selection. This also assumes Jason Brown is the first OC taken and Vince Carter number two. Spencer's lack of experience let him slide to us in the 3rd.

I think NT is a priorty, but the talent isn't here and I'll wait for 2006 and hope to get Haloti Ngata or Rod Wright.

Last edited by Number19; 01-17-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2005   #52
Joeymousepad
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
Neither Rod Wright nor D'Brickashaw declared for the draft.
Thanks I wasn't sure.
Old 01-17-2005   #53
Joeymousepad
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
TE, DT, C, MLB

those should be our first day picks. (we have 4)
1-1st, 1-2nd,2-3rd, right?
Old 01-17-2005   #54
Joeymousepad
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19
After this past weekend, my dream draft currently looks like this:

1st Round... DE...Marcus Spears...6'-4"....297#....4.80...Shaun Cody is a close second
2nd Round...OG...David Baas........6'-5"....323#....5.1....Can play any position on the OL; reminds me of Mathews
3A..............OC..Chris Spencer.....6'-4"....310#....5.1....Talented junior decided to come out; can play either guard position
3B..............????best player available-RB, ILB, CB, S

This assumes Elton Brown and Marcus Johnson, both OG's, are selected 1-2 and Baas falls to our 2nd round selection. This also assumes Jason Brown is the first OC taken and Vince Carter number two. Spencer's lack of experience let him slide to us in the 3rd.

I think NT is a priorty, but the talent isn't here and I'll wait for 2006 and hope to get Haloti Ngata or Rod Wright.
I love it we really need all that plus I am liking baas and spears. But would it be too much of a reach if we got brown in the 1st and cody or other DL in second?
Old 01-17-2005   #55
Joeymousepad
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
The biggest weakness on this team is SS

As much as some like Glen Earl, he's not the playmaker they really need on the defense. A guy like Thomas Davis or Ernest Shazor would be good

Secondly, left guard is a position i'm worried about. Pitts isn't getting any better. A guy like David Baas is likely going to drop to about pick #60 just b/c of other talent in the draft. Good G/C prospect

The offense needs another playmaker. The offense looked terrible again in the 2nd half versus Jacksonville, and if you take away DD's 2 big runs, he had very little. A tight end threat like Heath Miller in the 1st or a guy like Vincent Jackson in the 3rd would be good. If they wanted to go receiver like the Lions did, Larry Brackins from Pearl River Community College will be available in the 1st and possibly early 2nd round if we were to trade up. At 6'4 220 he is a very physical, very fun to watch player. He was recruited by USC, LSU and Miami (FL) but couldn't make it accademically. He's a 21 year old soph. meaning he's good to go and not to mention, has a 40 inch vertical. The team that gets him will be one lucky team for many years to come
I like all you said other then the SS part. Sure GE isn't the greatest but it's still far down on our list of problems. After all before the play gets into the defensive backfield it has to pass through the DL.
Old 01-18-2005   #56
Number19
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymousepad
I love it we really need all that plus I am liking baas and spears. But would it be too much of a reach if we got brown in the 1st and cody or other DL in second?
I identify the players for a position which have a resonable chance of being selected in the first round or the top half of the second. These are players I like for our system, but also a few which might impact selecting the ones I like. I call these my TOP 50.

My TOP 50 for DT are: Marcus Spears, Shaun Cody, Anttaj Hawthorne and Luis Castillo; and I include Travis Johnson. My TOP 50 for OG are Elton Brown and David Baas; and I include Marcus Johnson.

A quick search shows that there may be 7 teams placing a high priority on drafting a DT. There are also 10 additional teams that have a lower priority need to upgrade this position.

There is only one team which may have a high prioity for OG; with 6 teams having a lower priority.

It is highly unlikely that Spears, Cody or Hawthorne will make it out of the first round, although Castillo may make it to the top half of the second. Elton Brown will problably be the only OG taken in the first round.

Without considering a trade down (a possibility), at the 13 spot we will have our choice which DT to take; and still have a very good chance of getting Baas. We could insure the Baas selection by trading our 3B pick to move our #2 pick up to the top of the second round.

By trading our first pick to move down 3 or 4 positions, we could probably get another third round pick to use in moving up in the second.

All of these players are very good athletes and would improve our team. I like the idea of getting two of them instead of only one.

Last edited by Number19; 01-18-2005 at 08:44 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read