Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-17-2004   #21
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I keep hearing they are looking to bolster their defense. I guess they will say though they will pick up the best player available. They don't need a QB or TE. Could use help/depth on the Oline. I guess they need to start thinking about Glenn retiring.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #22
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, Glenn's spot is the biggest concern. I see him declining and I expect it to accelerate next year. If we don't have the guy to replace him with at mid season, I think we could be in deep do do. Top flieght CB's are typically 1st round picks and DL is second and third (not allways of course). I am not sure if there is a center FA available this year, but if there is I think we should take a sniff. If not, we better draft one. If Derrick Johnson is a fit with the 34 and we feel comfortable with what we have at CB, I would not be put out if we moved to get him. (not sure he fits the 34, but he is a playmaker).

1st round CB or LB
2nd round DL - One that could get a push up the middle
3rd round TE (if needed) Center (if needed) otherwise BPA

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #23
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I've read many threads here and elsewhere complaining about McKinney's play this year...I wasn't aware he was having such a bad year. I guess then center could be a draft choice somewhere in the middle rounds. I'll have to watch him more on Sundays. Maybe he's the weak link in the line????
Old 12-17-2004   #24
Mistril48
All Pro

I think the Texans would lilke to take a defensive playmaker with the first pick ... ideally, an interior LB.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #25
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

With McKinney.. I could see us taking a center late to groom. Like 4th or 5th round. But I dont see us using a high pick to come in and take his position immediatly.

With Glenn... I think we can get another year out of him.. or put Coleman back in if Glenn really starts struggling.. but I dont see him declining that much. If nothing else we can move glenn to second CB and let Dunta take first. I just think CB can wait another season.. especially when our front 7 needs so much help.

As for TE.. if we are in a BPA situation in the 2nd or 3rd.. (which would probably mean something went wrong somewhere else) then I imagine taking a TE is a big possibility. But other than that.. again.. i dont see us taking one when we have big concerns elsewhere. We are still hoping on Joppru.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #26
WWJD
Hall of Fame

I believe I read where Aaron said he would like to play another year and possibly retire after the 05 season.

So perhaps the Texans might not want to replace him via the draft till the draft that year.

I noticed he hasn't had the best of years but I really think that's as much the rule change on DB's as it is anything else.
Old 12-18-2004   #27
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans lack for only about 4-5 positions next season , in no specific order .

Defensive End to replace an aging Gary Walker who is makin a load of money and just not performing . Marcus Spears would be interesting . Not sure he fits the 3-4 ....

Cornerback Aaron Glenn is not getting any younger , his salary is also quite large . Antrel Rolle , Carlos Rogers , Marlin Jackson ??

Inside Linebacker Someone to complement J.Sharper that can actually plug a gap instead of makin tackle 5 yards downfield . Derrick Johnson .... yeah im dreaming on that one

Running Back Dominic Davis , Tony Hollings , Jonathan Wells have all been given a some time to show what they can do , None of them has really shown they can be an Every Down back and collectively havent gotten it done . Cedric Benson , Carnell Williams , Ronnie Brown any of those would be fine by me or possibly Maurice Clarett on day two .

And the O-Line which i think will not see much change from this season to next considering the upgrades made last season and the new blocking scheeme they implemented . although depth never hurts in the trenches . If anyting here i'd like to see the Center position addressed .

Many of the named i mentioned would likely require some movement upwards in draft position unless the Texans just fall flat on their faces the rest of this season . (wouldnt bother me if they did , Remember the Rockets purposely losing games to win the rights to Akeem ? ...errr is that Hakeem ?)

a plea to Charley Casserly .... Please No More QB's or TE's ....... or QB's to be moved to Saftey

One more NEED , a coaching staff that Plays to WIN , not keep it close

Assuming they address all these needs via free agency or the draft they could compete for the division next season and for several seasons to come .
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2004   #28
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
IMO, Glenn's spot is the biggest concern. I see him declining and I expect it to accelerate next year. If we don't have the guy to replace him with at mid season, I think we could be in deep do do. Top flieght CB's are typically 1st round picks and DL is second and third (not allways of course). I am not sure if there is a center FA available this year, but if there is I think we should take a sniff. If not, we better draft one. If Derrick Johnson is a fit with the 34 and we feel comfortable with what we have at CB, I would not be put out if we moved to get him. (not sure he fits the 34, but he is a playmaker).
Gleen has played pretty good this year. Who knows, maybe he'll be like Darrel
Green and play till he's 40. But he should have atleast another good year.
Johnson would be awesome, but I shudder to think what they would have to
pay to move up and pick. I know they want to upgrade Foreman, but is
that Johnsons highest & best use ? I'm not sure if hes an ILB or OLB in the
3-4.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004   #29
astrofan
Veteran

I don't think any team who plays two against paymeaton/stokely and two against billyV/drewB could ever have too many topshelf DBs
these are 25% of our games between now and reallignment
astrofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004   #30
fresno8
Veteran

No Doubt about the coaches. Why we don't throw more is beyond me. I know Carr doesn't have a lot of time, but what happend to the 3-step drop, quick slant/out/curl. Carr can throw those patterns so well I watched all his games a fresno state and he's great at throwing those passes. He came from a system that throws quick passes to let receivers run after the catch and throw downfield when open. Our guys can do stuff after they catch the ball. That will open up the deep game. This coaching staff is brutal. The D-line just needs to penetrate it's pathetic to watch how much time other QB's have. From left to center is a huge ?mark on the o-line (Pitts doesn't bother me as much as Wand and McKinney) and you can't sell me on Wade and weigert. good stuff
fresno8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004   #31
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

biggest need IMO on offense
1)complete TE (if Joppru isn't ready)
2)OL upgrade
3) RB

biggest need IMO on defense
1) DL
2)ILB
3)secondary help.

I'd like to see us get either a a topnotch ILB or CB with our 1st pick.2nd round,DLine (possibly move up in the 2nd to possibly a 1st (like last year))
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004   #32
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
I think the Texans would lilke to take a defensive playmaker with the first pick ... ideally, an interior LB.

I'm coming to a similar conclusion. in the 3-4 defense its the Linebackers responsibilty to get through the lanes opened up by the tackles to have a play on the QB. our defensive lineman have a thankless job never the less toil away, filling the two gap, cover the run & try to put pressure on the QB. it would take a freak of a tackle to dominate both the line and supply a bus load of sacks in a 3-4 & I just don't see one this year. so I'm in favor of selecting a DE with pass rushing skills as well as being able to cover a marquee TE or RB out of the backfield (another freakishly talented player) I like the strategy used last year by the Texans of drafting a DE to convert at OLB (Babin) seems like a smart move for a 3-4 scheme will they do it again?

de-ja vu, IMO the #1 Need for the Texans is Mathias Kiwanuka DE Boston College 6-8 260lbs 4.6 speed. he could move around play ILB or OLB, he can chase down or swallow RB's & of all the DE's he possess the most past rushing skills of the bunch along with nearly 7 foot wingspan he blocks, tips or mis-directs the flight of the ball numerious times during the course of a game & he could become the trigger for that Texans 3-4 defense. Thus fullfilling the Texans #1 need as your question stated.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
of all the DE's he possess the most past rushing skills of the bunch
Don't you draft for future rushing skills?

Just kidding.
Old 12-26-2004   #34
Herdof
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Ive heard that Ciatrick Fason the RB is a possibility as well. But he is DDs size.. and I dunno that we would want to risk drafting another small RB.
What are you talking about? He's 6-0, 214.
Old 12-26-2004   #35
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdof
What are you talking about? He's 6-0, 214.
Davis 5'9" about 215-220 ish. At this point in football 215 on a six frame is average to a little light. Usually guys with frames like fiason are able to carry 5-10 more pounds without losing any speed or quickness.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004   #36
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I see us signing a DL in free agency & possibly an interior OL. I'd be surprised if they signed a veteran LT in FA. Starting quality LT's just cost too much.

With our 1st pick, I see us going after a shutdown CB (Bryant McFadden, Marlin Jackson, or Carlos Rogers), an impact LB (Kirk Morrison or Robert McCune), DT (Anttaj Hawthorne or Rodrique Wright, if he comes out), or one of the RB's from Auburn (most likely Ronnie Brown).

With our 2nd pick, I see us taking an OL such as Jammal Brown, Michael Munoz, Ben Wilkerson, or trading down & going after Baas.

With our 2 3rd's, I could see us going after Kevin Everett (TE), Anthony Bryant (DT), Travis Johnson (DT), Mike Goolsby (ILB), Sione Pouha (DT), or James Butler (FS).

After the 3rd round, it'll be BPA.
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004   #37
NoBullTexan
Veteran

Run tackling by the defense has been a major disappointment this year. So the #1 priority should be the "buc"MLB that can run sidline to sideline with instincts enough to get back in pass coverage, and replace Foreman. #2 should be a big 'ol meanie NT to backup and eventually replace Payne. #3a & #3b is where we should be debating OL, (LT will be fine, it is OC & RG that is the real weakness of the O-Line), RB or another CB, or TE. Not bad, we will get two of the four positions addressed. 4-5-6-& 7 is where we Draft for added depth. Symons (QB) is on the practice squad, as is Sloan (WR), and RB Renaldo Works certainly will be factored into the mix next season, so we don't need QB, or WR. Lord (SS, RB, WR, emergency QB) is also an interesting project. My point being we have some pretty good talent on the practice squad that we should get a good look at in next years training camp.

As of the game today where we beat Jax, in Jax, to the tune of 21 to zip. We are 7-9, and with a good game at Reliant Park next week against lowly Cleveland, we should end up the season at 8-8 for the first time in team history. Maybe we are finally turning the corner, and ready to really contend for the division next year. Another first, we beat Tenn both games, and Jax both games, for the first time this year. Now if we just learn to outwit Dungy's version of the cover II, we should beat Indy next year for the first time. Things are looking up for our Texans.
Old 12-26-2004   #38
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBullTexan
Run tackling by the defense has been a major disappointment this year. So the #1 priority should be the "buc"MLB that can run sidline to sideline with instincts enough to get back in pass coverage, and replace Foreman.
Funny how the defense has played its best ball when Foreman goes down and is replaced.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004   #39
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

#1 priority in my mind is the offensive line. I'm not saying to gut the O-line, like San Diego did, but pass protection needs to get better.
Old 12-26-2004   #40
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Funny how the defense has played its best ball when Foreman goes down and is replaced.

I was thinking the same thing. Seem to be stronger up the middle. Not a lot, but better.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read