Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-10-2008   #1
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Getting down to 80 or Who gets the Turk?

Just been messing around with the roster trying to figure out who won't be there at Training Camp.

Going off the roster on HT.com, they need to axe another 5 guys.

I'm guessing the break down will look something like this....

QB 4
RB 5
FB 3
TE 4
WR 9
T 6
G 6
C 4
DE 6
DT 6
LB 9
CB 8
S 7
P 1
K 1
LS 1

This means that they will need to cut these guys to make the roster limit...

Robinson, DelJuan DT
Long, Gabe * DT
McCoy, LeRon WR
Simmons, Mark WR
Cox, Curome S

Overall looking at our team 80 deep, we have some serious depth of talent on board this year. Hate to think how tough the cut down to 53 will be.

Anyone else want to take a crack at how the Texans get down to 80?
Old 06-10-2008   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Getting down to 80 or Who gets the Turk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
McCoy, LeRon WR
I've heard on the local sports radio stations that McCoy is a favorite among the coaches. His ability to play special teams puts him in the mix for the #5 WR spot. I'm thinking the UDFA Jenkins or the recently signed Tim Carter might be on the bubble for the 80 man roster.

With Bulman taking snaps at DE, cutting both Long and DelJuan Robinson would leave the Texans with just 5 DTs (Okoye, TJ, Okam, Maddox, Zgonina). I think one of the fringe DEs (Nading & Powell) might hear from the turk. Maybe both, if something happens with Colvin prior to camp.

Edit: If the Texans do release Charles Spencer, they could still get to 6 OTs for camp by moving Scott Jackson. Jackson filled in at tackle for much of camp last year, after Brandon Frye suffered the high ankle sprain. Chris White could move from Center to Guard, and may have taken reps there in OTAs.

Last edited by Lucky; 06-10-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #3
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

zgonina is so gone. he's 700 years old. thats too old to play football.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #4
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Jeff Zgonina - DT
2. Mark Simmons - WR
3. Curome Cox - S
4. Kevis Coley - LB
Old 06-11-2008   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys are cutting Curome Cox but he played a TON for us last season on ST. I'm not so sure he's gone... even with the glut of safeties we have.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #6
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking of Turk, have any punters been brought in?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #7
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I've heard on the local sports radio stations that McCoy is a favorite among the coaches. His ability to play special teams puts him in the mix for the #5 WR spot.
Every year there is a unknown guy that the coaches are really high on and they end up cut or on the practice squad, I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote:
With Bulman taking snaps at DE, cutting both Long and DelJuan Robinson would leave the Texans with just 5 DTs (Okoye, TJ, Okam, Maddox, Zgonina). I think one of the fringe DEs (Nading & Powell) might hear from the turk. Maybe both, if something happens with Colvin prior to camp.
I think that they will keep as many DE's as they can in an effort to find a diamond in the rough. I think that DE is probably our weakest position by far. In comparison I think all the DT we have on the roster are quality contributors.
Old 06-11-2008   #8
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
You guys are cutting Curome Cox but he played a TON for us last season on ST. I'm not so sure he's gone... even with the glut of safeties we have.
The reason I cut Cox is that I figure that the rest of the safeties on the roster at the moment have the potential to start in this league. Cox I think is not of that quality.

Surely it is easier to manufacture a specials teams contributor than it is a potential starting safety?
Old 06-11-2008   #9
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
None on the roster at this stage, Turk did a better job than Stanley had.

I don't envy the job of a punter, you only get one or two plays to look good, if you mess up once it taints you so badly in the eyes of the fans. Same with kickers and long snappers.

At least in other positions you get dozens of plays and you aren't always the sole focus of attention.
Old 06-11-2008   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I think that they will keep as many DE's as they can in an effort to find a diamond in the rough. I think that DE is probably our weakest position by far. In comparison I think all the DT we have on the roster are quality contributors.
The point is that they'll need at least one of these DTs you're cutting to take reps in camp. Without a rash of injuries, Long and DelJuan Robinson have a microscopic chance of making the team. But, they can't wear out Amobi and the other DTs taking all the snaps in camp. They'll need one of them just to get through two-a-days. Unless they plan on moving Bulman back to DT full time.
Old 06-11-2008   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll be surprised if Cox does not get at least a few days @ TC.
Old 06-11-2008   #12
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post

That's one of the downsides to a smaller camp roster. The coaches have commented that they won't have the luxury of brining in extra kickers to compete for jobs. You need those roster spots for everydown type players.
Old 06-11-2008   #13
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The point is that they'll need at least one of these DTs you're cutting to take reps in camp. Without a rash of injuries, Long and DelJuan Robinson have a microscopic chance of making the team. But, they can't wear out Amobi and the other DTs taking all the snaps in camp. They'll need one of them just to get through two-a-days. Unless they plan on moving Bulman back to DT full time.
I'm wondering if they do two a days this year. I've heard some teams are looking at making a change there with the reduced roster. It's going to be interesting.
Old 06-12-2008   #14
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think they're going to get rid of Cox. He's too valuable on ST. Probably, they'll take a look at our pile of guys and get rid of one of the "potential starting calibre" guys.
Old 06-12-2008   #15
A Texan
Veteran

I think DelJuan Robinson may get another shot. I remember him looking real good last year in that final preseason game and I thought he might make the 53. He didn't, but they put him on the practice squad and later called him up.
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Texan View Post
I think DelJuan Robinson may get another shot. I remember him looking real good last year in that final preseason game and I thought he might make the 53. He didn't, but they put him on the practice squad and later called him up.
I don't know if he makes the team or not, but I don't think you can gauge a player in the final pre-season game. That game is mainly for 8th stringers.
Old 06-12-2008   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I don't know if he makes the team or not, but I don't think you can gauge a player in the final pre-season game. That game is mainly for 8th stringers.
Yeah, but there were several guys they were really liking during camp: Deljuan, Scott Jackson, Harry Williams, and David Anderson. Those guys are all probably good candidates for the 80 man roster if they've been working out and keeping themselves ready.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well someone's gotta go. Still need six to get the roster legal.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/Roster.html

I'm counting 85 on the current roster.

2008 HOUSTON TEXANS

# Player Name Pos HT WT College NFL season
1. 45 Abbate, Jon FB 5-11 245 Wake Forest 2nd
2. 52 Adibi, Xavier * LB 6-1 236 Virginia Tech 1st
3. 89 Anderson, David WR 5-10 194 Colorado State 3rd
4. 34 Barber, Dominique * S 6-0 210 Minnesota 1st
5. 32 Bennett, Fred CB 6-0 197 South Carolina 2nd
6. 57 Bentley, Kevin LB 6-0 238 Northwestern 7th
7. 7 Boyd, Shane QB 6-1 232 Kentucky 2nd
8. 10 Brink, Alex * QB 6-2 212 Washington State 1st
9. 65 Brisiel, Mike G 6-5 300 Colorado State 2nd
10. 24 Brown, C.C. S 6-0 208 Louisiana-Lafayette 4th
11. 22 Brown, Chris RB 6-3 220 Colorado 6th
12. 76 Brown, Duane * T 6-4 308 Virginia Tech 1st
13. 33 Brown, Kris K 5-11 206 Nebraska 10th
14, 87 Bruener, Mark TE 6-4 260 Washington 14th
15. 93 Bulman, Tim DT 6-4 292 Boston College 4th
16. 78 Butler, Rashad T 6-4 293 Miami (Fla.) 3rd
17. 16 Carter, Tim WR 6-0 187 Auburn 7th
18. 96 Cochran, Earl DE 6-5 284 Alabama State 4th
19 53 Coley, Kevis LB 6-1 228 Southern Mississippi 2nd
20. 43 Cook, Jameel FB 5-10 237 Illinois 8th
21. 40 Cox, Curome S 6-1 204 Maryland 4th
22. 81 Daniels, Owen TE 6-3 247 Wisconsin 3rd
23. 11 Davis, André WR 6-1 195 Virginia Tech 7th
24. 47 Demps, Will S 6-0 208 San Diego State 7th
25. 54 Diles, Zac LB 6-0 240 Kansas State 2nd
26. 85 Dreessen, Joel TE 6-4 260 Colorado State 3rd
27. 26 Earl, Glenn SS 6-1 215 Notre Dame 5th
28. 50 Eslinger, Greg C 6-3 292 Minnesota 2nd
29. 38 Faggins, Demarcus CB 5-10 178 Kansas State 7th
30. 58 Fenton, Mark C 6-4 295 Colorado 1st
31. 25 Ferguson, Nick S 5-10 201 Georgia Tech 10th
32. 21 Fletcher, Jamar CB 5-10 180 Wisconsin 8th
33. 75 Frye, Brandon T 6-4 302 Virginia Tech 2nd
34. 30 Green, Ahman RB 6-0 218 Nebraska 11th
35. 56 Greenwood, Morlon LB 6-0 238 Syracuse 8th
36. 82 Grice-Mullen, Ryan * WR 5-10 187 Hawaii 1st
37. 31 Harrison, Brandon S 6-2 215 Stanford 2nd
38. 62 Jackson, Scott G 6-4 302 Brigham Young 4th
39. 84 Jenkins, Darnell * WR 5-10 188 Miami 1st
40. 80 Johnson, Andre WR 6-3 223 Miami (FL) 6th
41. 99 Johnson, Travis NT 6-3 303 Florida State 4th
42. 12 Jones, Jacoby WR 6-2 207 Lane College 2nd
43. 94 Kalu, N.D. DE 6-3 257 Rice 12th
43. 88 Krause, Ryan TE 6-3 244 Nebraska-Omaha 4th
44. 44 Leach, Vonta FB 6-0 253 East Carolina 5th
45. 67 Long, Gabe * DT 6-3 290 Utah 1st
46. 95 Maddox, Anthony DT 6-1 305 Delta State 5th
47. 17 McCoy, LeRon WR 6-1 219 Indiana (Pa.) 3rd
48. 42 Mitchell, Brandon S 6-3 215 Ohio State 2nd
49. 60 Moffitt, Ben * LB 6-2 245 South Florida 1st
50. 28 Molden, Antwaun * CB 6-0 198 E. Kentucky 1st
51. 55 Myers, Chris C 6-4 293 Miami (Fla.) 4th
52. 72 Nading, Jesse * DE 6-5 258 Colorado State 1st
53. 79 Okam, Frank * DT 6-4 322 Texas 1st
54. 91 Okoye, Amobi DT 6-2 302 Louisville 2nd
55. 48 Pittman, Bryan LS 6-3 265 Washington 6th
56. 69 Pitts, Chester G/T 6-4 322 San Diego State 6th
57. 97 Powell, Eric DE 6-3 268 Florida State 2nd
58. 35 Reeves, Jacques CB 5-11 192 Purdue 5th
59. 61 Richardson, Marcus * LB 6-3 225 Troy 1st
60. 29 Roberson, Derrick CB 5-10 185 Rutgers 2nd
61. 66 Robinson, DelJuan DT 6-3 296 Mississippi St. 2nd
62. PUP 23 Robinson, Dunta CB 5-10 184 South Carolina 5th
63. 18 Rosenfels, Sage QB 6-4 224 Iowa State 8th
64. 59 Ryans, DeMeco LB 6-1 250 Alabama 3rd
65. 74 Salaam, Ephraim T 6-7 302 San Diego State 11th
66. 8 Schaub, Matt QB 6-5 234 Virginia 5th
67. 13 Simmons, Mark WR 5-10 187 Kansas 2nd
68. 20 Slaton, Steve * RB 5-9 197 West Virginia 1st
69. 77 Spencer, Charles T 6-4 337 Pittsburgh 3rd
70. 68 Stevenson, Dan G 6-5 300 Notre Dame 2nd
71. 64 Studdard, Kasey G 6-2 303 Texas 2nd
72. 27 Taylor, Chris RB 5-11 220 Indiana 3rd
73. 51 Thompson, Chaun LB 6-2 255 West Texas A&M 6th
74. 1 Turk, Matt P 6-5 240 Wis.-Whitewater 15th
75. 37 Walker, Darius RB 5-11 205 Notre Dame 2nd
76. 83 Walter, Kevin WR 6-3 214 Eastern Michigan 6th
77. 70 Weary, Fred G 6-4 308 Tennessee 6th
78. 98 Weaver, Anthony DE 6-3 280 Notre Dame 7th
79. 63 White, Chris C 6-2 285 Southern Miss. 4th
80. 86 Williams, Harry WR 6-2 186 Tuskegee 3rd
81. 41 Williams, Jimmy CB 5-11 190 Vanderbilt 7th
82. 90 Williams, Mario DE 6-7 291 N.C. State 3rd
83. 73 Winston, Eric T 6-7 310 Miami (FL) 3rd
84. 92 Zgonina, Jeff DT 6-2 290 Purdue
Old 06-12-2008   #19
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

That looks like 84 to me.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange View Post
That looks like 84 to me.
where are you gonna put the new rush LB they are courting ?

did my job got y'all one away, 73, from making the first mandatory cut in august.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 06-12-2008 at 04:10 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read