Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-10-2008   #21
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dunta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
He didn't deserve this!!!!
Nobody deserves to have their football career ended by an injury. Tony Boselli didn't deserve it. Domanick Davis didn't deserve it. Charles Spencer didn't deserve it.

But I think some need to swallow hard, and accept the very likely prospect that Dunta will join this group. All you need to do, is go back and objectively look at how serious his injury was. He will be on IR the first 10 weeks of the season. He'll be "evaluated" and then placed on IR the rest of the season. We will read all these "feel good" stories about how hard he's working it in rehab, along with the "minor setbacks" in rehab.

But, in the end, we'll hear about the Texans oraganization being faced with another one of those "very tough decisions".
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #22
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Nobody deserves to have their football career ended by an injury. Tony Boselli didn't deserve it. Domanick Davis didn't deserve it. Charles Spencer didn't deserve it.

But I think some need to swallow hard, and accept the very likely prospect that Dunta will join this group. All you need to do, is go back and objectively look at how serious his injury was. He will be on IR the first 10 weeks of the season. He'll be "evaluated" and then placed on IR the rest of the season. We will read all these "feel good" stories about how hard he's working it in rehab, along with the "minor setbacks" in rehab.

But, in the end, we'll hear about the Texans oraganization being faced with another one of those "very tough decisions".
you just had to be HONEST, agree, but hope for the best
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #23
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

At least your optimistic about it.

Always with the negative vibes, Moriarty!
Old 06-10-2008   #24
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

whatever, you just have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from Boselli, Davis and now Spencer.

The dude is running and it's only been a few months. He'll be back, not 100% but he'll be back.

Here's a "positive" twist... at least this is his contract year and so we may be able to keep him and pay him really well but perhaps not as much as we would have if he had continued on his pro bowl caliber season he was having prior to the injury. maybe we lock him up for a long time and pay him really well but save a few pennies for when we have to up Williams and Ryans in a few years!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #25
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why everyone is calling for him to be an All-Pro when he has never once in his career earned that title. I'm not talking just the title of it, he simply isn't good enough to warant the hype yall give him. I've been saying this since about midway through his sophomore year, after our only true #1 CB in team history left, but he just isn't a #1 CB in the NFL. He is passionate and knows how to make the fundamental tackles. I love that he throws his body around. However, he just isn't that good at too many thinsg to call him great. He is horrible at jamming recievers, and a lot of that has to do with size and scheme, but when he tries, it's not pretty. He also has a problem coming out of his back pedal. He gives too much cushion, and is caught on his heels if the play is in front of him - it's why he gave up all of those 7 yard completions underneath - and he has a slow initial recovery speed. He is a fast guy, timed fast as well. He can run with a lot of guys, but he does not close well in the mid-range. When he turns and runs, he is good, and his speed has allowed him to make up that step or two while the ball travels 30 yards, but on the shorter passes, he just never had it. He also plays the outside of slants seemingly by choice, and I've never agreed with that. Now, he has delivered some big hits around the LOS, so you might be wondering how that happens if what I'm saying is indeed true - simply put, the QB floated a pass to the sideline, and Robinson was able to run down his 8 yard cushion and make a crowd-pleasing hit on a guy who barely got his head around.

I know I'll get bashed for this, but I've held firm to this opinion for years, and he has yet to do anything to disprove it. He was looking like an above average NFL CB last year, but before that - aside from being a true #2 with Glenn - he has simply been an average NFL CB. He is best suited for a #2 role, and for the Texans, this may be a hidden blessing.

I said Spencer was best suited for OG when we drafted him, and while he could beat out some career backups at LT, his injury will force him to play at the position he is naturally suited for, and that will turn out to be a blessing as well.
Old 06-10-2008   #26
D-Frank
Veteran

Rep Power: 97 D-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

lee evans and frank gore. it did not affect their explosiveness,
considering its dunta, i really think he will be back and useful.
this will be a TRUE feel good story. cause he will be one of the
few that actually make it back. no way this little guy with
big guy syndrom goin doin like this. top 10 corner gonna come thru
D-Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #27
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I think Dunta will end up moving to Free Safety. I asked McClain if he thought that he would move, last year when they announced the severity of the injury.

I can't remember what he said. I really hope I'm wrong, because I have as much respect for Dunta as I did Aaron Glenn. The guy brings it every play and he lets his play do the talking. He didn't deserve this!!!!
There was a great interview with Rick Smith on 1560 The Game last week on the John and Lance show.

Dunta to safety came up, and Smith was dismissive of that and said that this sort of talk never came from the Texans and that Dunta is a CB. FWIW.

As an aside, fans were cheering like crazy for Dunta at the All Access event.
Old 06-11-2008   #28
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77922 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I don't know why everyone is calling for him to be an All-Pro when he has never once in his career earned that title. I'm not talking just the title of it, he simply isn't good enough to warant the hype yall give him.
He is passionate and knows how to make the fundamental tackles. I love that he throws his body around.

I know I'll get bashed for this, but I've held firm to this opinion for years, and he has yet to do anything to disprove it.
No bashing here, I have argued the case against DRob being a top flight QB for a while, he is the best we have had since Glenn left but that isn't saying much given the absence of quality we've had here.

I'm sticking to my guns that Molden/Bennett will be the starters here next year a healthy DRob or not. They are bigger, as fast if not faster and seem to have some natural ball skills.
Old 06-11-2008   #29
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116441 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Willis McGahee seems to have recovered just fine from one of the most gruesome knee injuries ever witnessed on tv.

It's going to take a lot of faith and hard work. If anyone can do it - I think DRob can. Just like Big Nasty, we are all pulling for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Second quote from Bennett is on Dunta:

Quote:
As a rookie, Texans CB Fred Bennett received valuable experience, starting eight games and becoming a key member of the secondary. Now the Texans hope he is primed for bigger and better things in his second season. Bennett told PFW he has worked closely with assistant DB coach Ray Rhodes, one of the league's most respective defensive minds, on a couple of technical issues. Bennett has sought to improve his footwork. "You can't take a false step at the line of scrimmage," the cornerback, who's known for his ability to play press coverage, said. Bennett has also worked on using his eyes to his advantage. "When a receiver is running (toward) you, you've got to keep your eyes on his hips," Bennett said. Bennett offered this update on CB Dunta Robinson, who is recovering from knee and hamstring injuries suffered last November: "He looks good. He's backpedaling. He's running around." Robinson is expected to miss the beginning of the season, and Bennett told PFW that the veteran is being sure "not to rush" back into the lineup before he is ready.
Link

Didn't know Dunta was backpedaling yet--that's good.
Old 06-11-2008   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

An interesting article from 2004 with info some of you may remember.
http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...40808043.shtml
My concern is DR over doing it as it is his final year and re-injuring leg. I'd prefer a signed deal prior to season but doubt that would happen.
Old 06-11-2008   #32
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

One advantage with Dunta coming back versus those others is if he can run, plant, turn, and jump he'll have a good chance. Plus if he can handle some pain.

Domanick was told he'd never be without pain and he couldn't/didn't want to handle it.

Boselli and Spemcer play on the line and they have to be able to push 300 lb men around. The joints take a pounding in there and for Boselli his injury was at the point of attack. For Spencer he's got to drive with that leg.

I think Dunta will be back. Most of my family is in the medical field at some level. Those that are Texans fans never felt Dunta's was at the career ending level. They weren't involved with his surgery, though. So it's purely based on seeing others with similar injuries.
Old 06-11-2008   #33
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
One advantage with Dunta coming back versus those others is if he can run, plant, turn, and jump he'll have a good chance. Plus if he can handle some pain.

Domanick was told he'd never be without pain and he couldn't/didn't want to handle it.

Boselli and Spemcer play on the line and they have to be able to push 300 lb men around. The joints take a pounding in there and for Boselli his injury was at the point of attack. For Spencer he's got to drive with that leg.

I think Dunta will be back. Most of my family is in the medical field at some level. Those that are Texans fans never felt Dunta's was at the career ending level. They weren't involved with his surgery, though. So it's purely based on seeing others with similar injuries.

The difference is that Dunta's injury can be repaired and was repaired. Boselli's shoulder, DDavis' knee and Spencer's knee can not be repaired.

I've had 4 surgeries on my left knee, including an ACL reconstruction. My right knee never gave me any problems until one year ago. I had a minor surgery to repair a small MCL tear and they found some cartilidge degeneration. Guess what knee is fine now and what knee hurts? My right knee is the problem knee and can't be repaired. My left knee is great.

Unless Dunta had something else happen to him that we aren't aware of, he'll recover fine and be 100% by next season. Blood and tissue loss to areas that don't regenerate are at issue with Boselli, Davis, and Spencer. The only surgical remedy for that is microfracture surgery which is probably the modern day equivalent of leaches.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read