Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-10-2008   #1
D-Frank
Veteran

Rep Power: 97 D-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dunta

first thread, yep, texans veteren here, when dunta come back
will he be fast enough. I know he wont be the 4.35 guy we drafted
but his skill level is so high. basically will he be alright? still our BEST corner?
D-Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dunta

I don't think that he will be quite the same guy.

I've been of the opinion that by the time he gets back that Bennett and Molden will have locked down the two starting spots and that Dunta will be a great nickel corner.

I'm probably in the minority here, but that is where I am thinking at the moment.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard.
Old 06-10-2008   #3
D-Frank
Veteran

Rep Power: 97 D-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I don't think that he will be quite the same guy.

I've been of the opinion that by the time he gets back that Bennett and Molden will have locked down the two starting spots and that Dunta will be a great nickel corner.

I'm probably in the minority here, but that is where I am thinking at the moment.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard.
ewwwm i just cant see dunta settling for a 3rd spot. he is so darn good.
i just hope he gets his quickness back. he s been running in otas, but the knee prob may affect his cuts. grrr such a humble guy with top 5 talent having an injury, its ok, look at anquan boldin i think he has has 2 acl's frank
gore had 2 acls.they doin good. lets hope he comes back 100%
Old 06-10-2008   #4
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

What're the odds that the team would have 2 young rising stars at key positions with their careers possibly seriously altered because a teammate ran into the back of their leg? I hope he can come back at the same level. The secondary needs him back there.
Old 06-10-2008   #5
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have always heard that coming back from an ACL you aren't even back to normal the first year. So, we won't really know until the '09 season how close he will be to his former self. If anyone can make it back though, it's Dunta, he's the man. Hopefully, he gets to contribute this year and sees the field the last part of the season.
Old 06-10-2008   #6
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

If he can't come back and be effective enough as a starting CB, I would imagine they would try him at free safety. With his penchant for hitting, I think it would be a smooth transition.

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I have always heard that coming back from an ACL you aren't even back to normal the first year. So, we won't really know until the '09 season how close he will be to his former self. If anyone can make it back though, it's Dunta, he's the man. Hopefully, he gets to contribute this year and sees the field the last part of the season.
Other than post-operative infections, ACL reconstructions are pretty safe and players regularly get back to 100%... The issue this season once he's back on the field will be a mental one. Also, there may be pain and swelling that has to be managed. That being said, it shouldn't affect his top end speed nor his ability to cut and accelerate once it's healthy.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-10-2008   #8
Polo

I expect him to be a little shaky at first, but I think since he's still young he'll eventually return close to his physical form...

The guy can still get better as far as learning the game...Just because he has a physical set-back doesn't mean he has to lose his will power or his knowledge of the game...
Old 06-10-2008   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

If, and when he's brought up to the active roster, I suspect he'll be eased back into the position. They'll probably give him a few spot plays to start with, then move him into the Dime, then to Nickel and then back to his original position by the end of the season or the beginning of next season. At least that is the way I'd bring him back up to speed.

IIRC, players that are thrown back to the wolves are usually a bit sluggish. McNabb, Palmer, McGahee, Javon Walker, etc.

My .02
Old 06-10-2008   #10
ocd
Rookie

After an injury of that magnitude, he will never regain the same natural speed he had, however...

His strength will become a weakness and his weakness will become his strength. Watch how good he gets at jamming at the line.
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #11
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I also think that Dunta will return pretty close to his full form and just think of the second dary that the Texans are going to have.
Old 06-10-2008   #12
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Other than post-operative infections, ACL reconstructions are pretty safe and players regularly get back to 100%... The issue this season once he's back on the field will be a mental one. Also, there may be pain and swelling that has to be managed. That being said, it shouldn't affect his top end speed nor his ability to cut and accelerate once it's healthy.
Well, just going by what I have always heard, the first year back from the ACL the player is still not quite a 100%. Not sure how true that is, sound logical. I realize it is a safe procedure and all, but given the extent of Dunta's injury and projected timeline for return I am sure they want to be careful easing him back into the rotation. Just managing my expectations for '08.
Old 06-10-2008   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

All I know is this: The ROAR of the crowd, when Dunta gets introduced for the first time, is going to be deafening. It will be a spine-tingling, amazing moment because in all kindness to the other Texans players...Dunta is THE heart and soul of this team.

He's like the Craig Biggio of the Texans: Relentless, scrappy, and good character. And...he has serious skills. Complete package. The Texans are fortunate to have kept him on roster this long--Because he could easily have cashed in on free agency prior to the injury.

His return to the field, even if it's nickel duty or something small for the moment, will be THE moment I am most looking forward to this season.

Old 06-10-2008   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Dunta injured his ACL and his hamstring. I thought I'd heard that his hamstring injury was the really nasty one.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Dunta injured his ACL and his hamstring. I thought I'd heard that his hamstring injury was the really nasty one.
Yes, his hammy was torn directly off the bone. I have no clue how they re-attach a tendon/muscle to a bone. It's amazing how far medical technology has come.
Old 06-10-2008   #16
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
All I know is this: The ROAR of the crowd, when Dunta gets introduced for the first time, is going to be deafening. It will be a spine-tingling, amazing moment because in all kindness to the other Texans players...Dunta is THE heart and soul of this team.

He's like the Craig Biggio of the Texans: Relentless, scrappy, and good character. And...he has serious skills. Complete package. The Texans are fortunate to have kept him on roster this long--Because he could easily have cashed in on free agency prior to the injury.

His return to the field, even if it's nickel duty or something small for the moment, will be THE moment I am most looking forward to this season.

Considering that this is his contract year from his rookie deal that's why he didn't cash in on FA.

I think Dunta is a guy that is going to be part of the core of this defense and we do need him back. Considering what we did in the draft this year and last and picking up Reeves there isn't as much a rush, IMO,to get him back ASAP. His injury really came at a bad time and I think there is going to have to be some compromise on both sides getting him signed long term after this year.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well it should be interesting with it being Dunta's contract year.

When he does come back (mid-season?), he's not going to be pegged the #1 CB right off the bat. I know we all love Dunta, for good reason, but the bottom line is he's going to have to be one of the two best CB's to get the starting position. Can he earn that spot? I'd say sure, there's a great chance... but he's working from the other end this time.

He's going to have to show he's healthy enough and up to GAME speed to see the field. Until then, I think Kubiak takes it easy with him. It will be interesting seeing the competition between Bennett, Reeves, and Molden for those starting roles.

I hate to sound so pessimistic but I'm not as ready deem Dunta the starter when he comes back. He's been a great Texan and hope he continues to be, but I'm not putting him out there so soon if others are playing better. Maybe they do look at him at safety, but I really don't like that idea at all. I'm more inclined to keep him as a solid CB than take the risk of having a 180lb safety back there especially in the "who knows what safety scheme we run" From the looks of it we like the bigger safeties, not the small ball hawks.

At the end of the day, Dunta is probably the fiercest competitor on our team. I think he makes a statement when he gets back on the field to let everyone know that he's the best.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #18
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 33937 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Dunta will end up moving to Free Safety. I asked McClain if he thought that he would move, last year when they announced the severity of the injury.

I can't remember what he said. I really hope I'm wrong, because I have as much respect for Dunta as I did Aaron Glenn. The guy brings it every play and he lets his play do the talking. He didn't deserve this!!!!
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #19
D-Frank
Veteran

yes i am a homer, but i think dunta will ALWAYS be our best corner.
mentally and physically he got it.....me seing him run...at this stage...
makes me happy. he is doin great. just hope he can cut

read ota i think and dunta was sayin its too abusive
as a safety for his size. he wants to be a corner. i
aint got no rep but if you need a link holla
Old 06-10-2008   #20
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
What're the odds that the team would have 2 young rising stars at key positions with their careers possibly seriously altered because a teammate ran into the back of their leg? I hope he can come back at the same level. The secondary needs him back there.
ain't that the truth, i hope he plays this year and shows enough promise to resign him, if andre johnson is the best WR no one talk's about than dunta was the best CB
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read