Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans' Williams looking for more in 2008

Wolf

100% Texan
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=3434499&section=nfl

HOUSTON -- Mario Williams was drafted by the Houston Texans because they considered the defensive end a can't-miss prospect with a rare combination of size, speed and athleticism.

What they couldn't know then was how he'd respond once he experienced NFL success.

After his breakout 14-sack season, Houston is seeing that it has only increased his drive to show that last year was simply a sampling of just how good he can be.

"I just know what I did wasn't good enough for me," Williams said in an interview with The Associated Press. "Every year you've got to say: 'I've got room to improve. I've got to improve.' So that's how I see it."

Williams doesn't think of his progress in statistical terms but rather in how much his play can help the team. If there were a slogan for his mature, new attitude it would likely be something like "Never satisfied."

Ask him what kind of production would be good enough for him and get this response: "It never will be. It can't be. If I was ever at the point where I said it was good enough, then I wouldn't or shouldn't be playing."

Williams was dominant late last season, getting 10 sacks in the past seven games. His improvement has carried over into this spring. Teammates and coaches have raved about his work ethic and skills in Houston's offseason workouts, which wrapped up Monday.

"Mario's picked up right where he left off at the end of the season," defensive end Anthony Weaver said. "He's a monster out there. It's not a matter of if they can stop him. It's about him stopping himself."

Williams always had the physical skills necessary for success in this league, but in the more than two years since he was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2006 draft, he's developed the mind-set and maturity integral in long-term success.

I had to do a double take, must have hurt ESPiN to post that article

"He's a monster out there. It's not a matter of if they can stop him. It's about him stopping himself."

you gotta love it:fans: :wild:

it has to help d. brown having to play against mario, like d freeney vs ugoh.
if he can go against mario in practice day in and out, he will be able to match up with ANY DE in the league. mannn its goo that mario proved everyboy wrong. props to him for grindin hard':wild:

Last season, Mario showed what he's about and people started to take notice. This year, he's going to have the Pro Bowl voter's attention from the get go.

I'm hoping he has a MONSTER year.

ESPN doing a favorable article on Texans......must be a typo....lol:spit:
I hate ESPN.....they usually are bashing our team......

Back