Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-09-2008   #21
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Quinn Gray and Jordan Black released

Slightly surprised on Gray. But with Boyd and Brink we have someone to be the 3rd QB anyway. Not surprised at all with Black. I can't even remember the guy getting any playing time last year.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #22
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
It's going to be very telling what they do with the roster this year. I think it's almost a given that Brink ends up on the PS. Boyd has no PS eligibility left, so he's either "all-in" or "all-out". Kubes has historically kept only two QB's on the 53 man roster, the only exception that I know of being the end of last year when Schaub was still on the roster, but unable to play because of the shoulder.
I agree however Brink is a better long term prospect for Kubiaks system & placing him on the practice squad leaves him unprotected so another team could just reach out n' take him.

Quote:
From a sheer ability standpoint, Schaub and Rosenfels clearly put the team in the best postion they've ever been in, and would indicate carrying two QB's makes more sense than ever. If we keep three, it will clearly be because of the injury concern regarding Schaub. On the other hand, if they're happy with Brink's progress, they may feel like they can still carry two and either re-sign Boyd or promote Brink if circumstances warrant.
Once again I agree with you on both points. personally prefeer the later & the Texans will carry three QB's on the roster the third being Brink

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #23
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Gray was only ever picked up as an insurance policy in case they got a crazy offer for Sage. He didn't want to be a #3, so I bet they told him something like this ahead of his signing: "If we end up trading Sage, you're the new #2. If we don't trade him, we'll cut you in time for you to hook on with another team."

EDIT - Solis, I didn't see your post until after I posted. Yeah, pretty much what you said. LOL

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #24
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I agree however Brink is a better long term prospect for Kubiaks system & placing him on the practice squad leaves him unprotected so another team could just reach out n' take him.
You may be correct, but we're talking about a 7th round QB who wouldn't have any time learning someone else's system, and if someone plucks him off the PS, he'd have to be on their 53 man roster. I think that's unlikely to happen, but then again...
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #25
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I think Gray was only ever picked up as an insurance policy in case they got a crazy offer for Sage. He didn't want to be a #3, so I bet they told him something like this ahead of his signing: "If we end up trading Sage, you're the new #2. If we don't trade him, we'll cut you in time for you to hook on with another team."

EDIT - Solis, I didn't see your post until after I posted. Yeah, pretty much what you said. LOL
You know what they say about great minds...

But yeah - thats the only thing that really makes any sense. I think Gray is far too good of a QB to just let go - so there must have been an agreement in place that would allow for his release prior to camp if he was still number 3 on the depth chart.

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #26
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

If Brink has a really good preseason, I wouldn't be suprised to see Kubes keep him on the roster as the 3rd QB. Remember that after last season Kubiak did say that he would rethink his philosophy on only keeping two quarterbacks.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #27
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Don't mind the QB with the 7th rounder, but wonder why we needed the upmteenth safety with the 6th ?
Someone for S/T duty IMO. And if he pushes some of the other DBs so he can climb up the depth chart, so much the better.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2008   #28
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Don't mind the QB with the 7th rounder, but wonder why we needed the upmteenth safety with the 6th ?
I'm wondering, too.

Signed,
Glenn (please don't cut me next) Earl
Old 06-09-2008   #29
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm wondering, too.

Signed,
You know, that would make a great thread

"Who does The Turk visit next? Place yer bets!"
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #30
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
You know, that would make a great thread

"Who does The Turk visit next? Place yer bets!"
Chop chop - I like it.

Say word.
Old 06-09-2008   #31
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
that 7th rd. pick doesn't look like such a head scratcher now :mshadows:
great point. hated the pick then but now it does look a lot better. we just didn't get what we wanted for Rosenfels so we kept him. I always feel good about having Sage in the pocket in case of problems with Schaub....but it would have been nice to have gotten a 2nd Rounder for him and no one bit.
Old 06-09-2008   #32
SOLIS
United We Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
great point. hated the pick then but now it does look a lot better. we just didn't get what we wanted for Rosenfels so we kept him. I always feel good about having Sage in the pocket in case of problems with Schaub....but it would have been nice to have gotten a 2nd Rounder for him and no one bit.
It would have been nice to get a third rounder and kept Quinn... but having an experienced back up in Sage is a huge plus.

It's a good sign when we can discuss the Texans backups... means we've turned that corner and are starting to build real depth.

Say word.
Old 06-09-2008   #33
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIS View Post
It would have been nice to get a third rounder and kept Quinn... but having an experienced back up in Sage is a huge plus.

It's a good sign when we can discuss the Texans backups... means we've turned that corner and are starting to build real depth.
well they didnt take the 3rd rounder from Minny and that would have allowed them to pick up OT Tony Hills...so that would have been nice, but I would rather have Sage than Gray at the end of the day. If they dropped Black its obvious they are happy with their OT situation anyways so Hills may have been a luxury.
Old 06-09-2008   #34
SOLIS
United We Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
well they didnt take the 3rd rounder from Minny and that would have allowed them to pick up OT Tony Hills...so that would have been nice, but I would rather have Sage than Gray at the end of the day. If they dropped Black its obvious they are happy with their OT situation anyways so Hills may have been a luxury.
Right, my luxury third rounder would have been Jeremy Zuttah. Thought he was the kind of guard that would have fit nicely in the Gibbs ZBS. Fast, athletic, stronger than hell... But we got Sage and that's not bad either - but for the love of God, I hope he doesn't see any meaningful minutes this year.

Say word.
Old 06-09-2008   #35
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You may be correct, but we're talking about a 7th round QB who wouldn't have any time learning someone else's system, and if someone plucks him off the PS, he'd have to be on their 53 man roster. I think that's unlikely to happen, but then again...
he basicly ran the same system @ WSU. not a stretch at all he picks everything up very quickly, plus he has better mobility in the pocket. If I where a team using a similar system as the Texans or in need of another QB without paying a high price, like a 3rd rounder, I would be paying close attention to Kubiaks moves, its clear his eye for talent @ the QB position is an area of strength for this organization

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #36
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The way I see it is a 7th round QB from WSU beat him out of a job.

However, I do believe the whole "Gray was an insurance policy" theory. We had to go in the draft prepared to have the "Trade Sage Option" open. Since that didn't happen and Gray is still a 3rd QB, we can let him go and get someone who is youthful there to hold the clipboard.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #37
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
He'd have to clear waivers to be placed on the PS in the first place, but I agree it's unlikely another team would sign him at all, having missed all of their offseason. If assured of a PS spot, Brink would also already have a vested interest in staying with the Texans, with the view that he'd be first in line to back up Schaub next year or the year after.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #38
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm wondering, too.

Signed,
Their approach to upgrading the safety positions has been throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.
(Just wanted an excuse to use that smilie)
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #39
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be nice if QB Brinks turns out to be the 7th round surprise sensation that LB Diles did last year! Makes me fell all warm hearted for our G.M.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #40
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
My first reaction is that Shane Boyd probably looks good....The little I saw of him impressed me...can't wait to see him in the preseason. The writing on the wall should have been staring Jordan Black in the face. It probably helps him to get an early release.
Yeah, the preseason game vs. Cardinals was a game where I was also thinking, "Wow. Who is THIS guy? Moving the ball down the field in lots of ways, and making it look fairly easy."

Of course, (a) it was preseason, (b) it was the Texans defense, and (c) it was later in the game IIRC. But still, he was composed and was generally Qb'ing the Cardinals like a veteran out there.

His mobility is a big-time plus, too.

I hope Boyd is our 3rd QB (Kubiak "said" he would carry 3 this season). And I bet Brink is on the PS. I'd be very happy with that scenario, and I am looking forward to seeing Boyd in action this preseason.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read