Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-09-2008   #1
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Quinn Gray and Jordan Black released

According to the Chronic:

Quote:
The Texans placed quarterback Quinn Gray and offensive tackle Jordan Black on waivers today.

Before the Texans had their last OTA (organized team activities), Gray and Black were given their pink slips. Black came to Houston as an unrestricted free agent from Kansas City. He never fit in with what the Texans were doing up front and ended the season as the fourth tackle.

Gray, who played so well for Jacksonville in a loss to the Texans at Reliant Stadium last season, had signed a one-year deal as the third quarterback behind Matt Schaub and Sage Rosenfels.

Gray didn't adjust well to the Texans system so they released him.
Veteran Shane Boyd and rookie Alex Brink are the other quarterbacks on the roster.
Gray is a bit surprising. Look for more cuts before training camp starts to get down to the 80 man roster.
Old 06-09-2008   #2
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1664 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Quinn Gray and Jordan Black released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
According to the Chronic:

Gray is a bit surprising. Look for more cuts before training camp starts to get down to the 80 man roster.
Gray was surprising but Black not so much. I'm sure they gave him a vanilla playbook just in case he was resigned by Jax or another team since he was a newbie? This gives Boyd and Brink a shot at sticking around.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #3
Polo

Not really suprised about Gray...

I figured that if Brink showed any kind of potential Gray would be gone...

Cutting him this early gives him time to find another club..
Old 06-09-2008   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Black's release may bode well for Charles Spencer. The Texans currently have 6 OTs on the roster, and I would think they would carry that many into camp.

Brown
Winston
Salaam
Butler
Frye
Spencer

Scott Jackson has played OT in camp and preseason. But I would think he would stay at Guard, since they are carrying 6 on the roster, at the moment. Unless the Texans have another FA OT they're eyeing, I'd say Spencer gets a reprieve going into camp.

Edit: This was my 5K post? I should have planned this better.

Last edited by Lucky; 06-09-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #5
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn. Wasn't expected Quinn Gray to be released. I guess it it will be Schaub/Sage/Brink now.

But I agree about Spencer. Looks like he may stay.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Damn. Wasn't expected Quinn Gray to be released. I guess it it will be Schaub/Sage/Brink now.

But I agree about Spencer. Looks like he may stay.
I also remember that Shane Boyd is pretty high on Kubiak's list too. Bringing in Gray may have sped up the maturation of Boyd.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Not really suprised about Gray...

I figured that if Brink showed any kind of potential Gray would be gone...

Cutting him this early gives him time to find another club..
I agree. I think he was brought here as insurance in case of a Sage trade. There have been comments about how good Boyd and Brink have looked during camp. The only comment I've heard about Gray is that he was over-weight.
Old 06-09-2008   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
The only comment I've heard about Gray is that he was over-weight.
Seems Byron Sammich was a good mentor in Jacksonville.
Old 06-09-2008   #9
Lucky

Gray came to the Texans with the expectation that he would become the backup QB after a Sage trade. That never happened, and I could see how he might have become disappointed. The 3rd QB is almost always a young guy who won't complain about being the scout team QB. And the Texans could still revert to going with 2 QBs on the roster. I thought Sage could still be traded in preseason, if someone's QB went down with an injury. Not going to happen, now.
Old 06-09-2008   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

that 7th rd. pick doesn't look like such a head scratcher now :mshadows:

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #11
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I also remember that Shane Boyd is pretty high on Kubiak's list too. Bringing in Gray may have sped up the maturation of Boyd.
It's going to be very telling what they do with the roster this year. I think it's almost a given that Brink ends up on the PS. Boyd has no PS eligibility left, so he's either "all-in" or "all-out". Kubes has historically kept only two QB's on the 53 man roster, the only exception that I know of being the end of last year when Schaub was still on the roster, but unable to play because of the shoulder.

From a sheer ability standpoint, Schaub and Rosenfels clearly put the team in the best postion they've ever been in, and would indicate carrying two QB's makes more sense than ever. If we keep three, it will clearly be because of the injury concern regarding Schaub. On the other hand, if they're happy with Brink's progress, they may feel like they can still carry two and either re-sign Boyd or promote Brink if circumstances warrant.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #12
ocd
Rookie

Well I'll be a sum beech...I never saw the Gray cut coming at all.

Next? Ahman Green?
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #13
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocd View Post
Well I'll be a sum beech...I never saw the Gray cut coming at all.

Next? Ahman Green?
Apples and Oranges. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it wouldn't be the same type of thing at all.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

My first reaction is that Shane Boyd probably looks good....The little I saw of him impressed me...can't wait to see him in the preseason. The writing on the wall should have been staring Jordan Black in the face. It probably helps him to get an early release.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #15
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Yeah all those who went or over a 7trh round pick.
Old 06-09-2008   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I dunno, but apparently Kubiak does like what he sees in the rook QB so far.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Yeah all those who went or over a 7trh round pick.
Don't mind the QB with the 7th rounder, but wonder why we needed the upmteenth safety with the 6th ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #18
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 20 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Se la vi -

I'm thinking there was a handshake deal in place the whole time. After the draft came and went, and Sage was still a Texan, Quinn was given his release to make another squad before camp. But like I said, thats just what makes sense to me...

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #19
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Don't mind the QB with the 7th rounder, but wonder why we needed the upmteenth safety with the 6th ?
The more competition the better the position.
Old 06-09-2008   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
probably the best athlete left in the draft that could push someone for a job is kinda what I'm thinkin'. We don't have anyone special back there.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read