Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2008   #1
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover
Default Kubiak on Okoye "hes the most improved player"

Quote:
(on DT Amobi Okoye maturing) Well, I want to knock on wood, but in all honesty, this camp, I think hes the most improved player. Hes a pretty dang good player to begin with but what you saw take place here over the course of the last three weeks, you saw a guy go from still having some of his rookie habits, they went away in one week and we havent noticed them in the last two. Thats a good thing. It tells me hes growing up. Hes becoming better. Hes becoming a pro. And if that happens, were going to be a better football team. Ive been very impressed with the player hes become through OTAs.

(on if he expects the same improvement as DE Mario Williams made last season) Well, hopefully we see the same thing. I dont think its fair to compare players. Theyre different. But the thing that is very comparable right away is the maturity, I guess I should say, and how hes handling himself right now. Theres not a lot of distractions going on. Hes just playing ball and hes got his mind in the right place, and I think that those are good things.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4362
Old 06-06-2008   #2
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak on Okoye "hes the most improved player"

Good to hear, and Kubiak's got a history of not BS'ing about this stuff.

FWIW (which admittedly is very little), the Pro Football Weekly 2008 Preview rated the top 30-40 players for each position, and to my surprise, Amobi was the #14 rated DT in the NFL. I say surprised because of the way he hit the wall midway thru the season last year. PFW acknowledged he slowed down, but basically said that he had the talent to put up double-digit sacks.

The Preview's a hard-copy, so I can't link (would be a pay-site anyway).

Two D-Linemen with 10+ sacks would be incredible - especially with one of them being on the interior.
Old 06-06-2008   #3
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

Two D-Linemen with 10+ sacks would be incredible - especially with one of them being on the interior.
And would make the whole team better. Would lead to more picks in the secondary.
Old 06-06-2008   #4
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Good to hear, and Kubiak's got a history of not BS'ing about this stuff.

FWIW (which admittedly is very little), the Pro Football Weekly 2008 Preview rated the top 30-40 players for each position, and to my surprise, Amobi was the #14 rated DT in the NFL. I say surprised because of the way he hit the wall midway thru the season last year. PFW acknowledged he slowed down, but basically said that he had the talent to put up double-digit sacks.

The Preview's a hard-copy, so I can't link (would be a pay-site anyway).

If Okoye got 10+ sacks he would be an all-pro DT I think. That number would be wayy too gaudy not to pass up.

Honestly, if Okoye got 7+ sacks this year, that would be the other pass rusher we needed. I wonder how our run defense would look with Amobi doing pass rushing from the DT position.
Old 06-06-2008   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 55166 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Double digit sacks is incredible for interior linemen. I agree that if he gets 7 or so he's had a great year. I hear AW is 100% and looking to make a big splash in the sack total this year. That would be great to see also.
Old 06-06-2008   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Double digit sacks is incredible for interior linemen. I agree that if he gets 7 or so he's had a great year. I hear AW is 100% and looking to make a big splash in the sack total this year. That would be great to see also.
His career high is 5. Define "big splash" for me please.
Old 06-06-2008   #7
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Rep Power: 120 Line_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: Kubiak on Okoye "hes the most improved player"

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
And best line of the day goes to *rips envelope* Young Texans Fan!
Sponsored links
Old 06-06-2008   #8
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Weaver Cannon Ball!?

Is it, A, a jump into the deep end of the pool, or B, Anthony's new secret special move?
Old 06-06-2008   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
6 sacks.
Old 06-06-2008   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll go ahead and say more than 5. Cause a player could never get more sacks than his already highest recorded sack total.
Old 06-07-2008   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

D-line was the best unit on defense last year.
Each individual player had a different role.

Just like the WR corp.

It is (to me) a mistake to try to find fault in the wrong place.
Old 06-07-2008   #12
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

i love hearing this from the Texans camp. If he and Okam could both develop into top DT, we could be set for a decade at DT...find a friend to play opposite Mario at DE and things could get really interesting...
Old 06-07-2008   #13
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, yeah. Never mind that shiznit. I want to see Vince "#6 on your Wonderlic" Young and that running back from Indianapolis (who grew up here) get flattened repeatedly. This is the year to resurect the "House of Pain". Teams visiting the Texans this year should feel like convicts being thrown to the gladiators on the floor on the Roman Colluseum. The 08-09 season should mark the beginning of the Texan era.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 06-07-2008   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
i love hearing this from the Texans camp. If he and Okam could both develop into top DT, we could be set for a decade at DT...find a friend to play opposite Mario at DE and things could get really interesting...
If Okam develops how the staff says he is developing, and Amobi is steadily improving as already quoted, I think that would be more than enough for Mario to break free and wreak havoc.

Also, wouldn't Okam be playing an NT type position as well? Wouldn't he just replace Travis Johnson and maybe TJ could backup Okoye?

EDIT: I hope that Okam develops into a 3-down NT, but for his rookie season, I want him to just be a big stump that can't be moved on running plays. Nothing too fancy.
Old 06-07-2008   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
This is the year to resurect the "House of Pain".

yeah buddy!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 06-07-2008   #16
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Yeah, yeah. Never mind that shiznit. I want to see Vince "#6 on your Wonderlic" Young and that running back from Indianapolis (who grew up here) get flattened repeatedly. This is the year to resurect the "House of Pain". Teams visiting the Texans this year should feel like convicts being thrown to the gladiators on the floor on the Roman Colluseum. The 08-09 season should mark the beginning of the Texan era.
Replace those "should's" with "wills" and I'm right there with you.
Old 06-09-2008   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Honestly, if Okoye got 7+ sacks this year, that would be the other pass rusher we needed. I wonder how our run defense would look with Amobi doing pass rushing from the DT position.
Good point. Also, with Amobi rushing from the middle, it causes the QB to move left or right, more than likely having to throw off the run. I think QB's are more likely to make a mistake when forced in this position. Not to mention their eyes are more likely to not look downfield and start the scrambling process. That's where the sacks for the DE's really come from. I know mario got a lot last year because of this- perfect team play.
Old 06-09-2008   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

sacks are nice to get from the inside but getting great push, forcing QB's out of the pocket and stopping the run are the most important aspects for the DT's....glad to hear he is improving.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 06-09-2008   #19
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

We all know that the players make the biggest improvement from year one to year two. So, I'm glad to hear that Okoye is progressing well. Hopefully Okoye will have the kind of impact that Mario did last year.
Old 06-09-2008   #20
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
sacks are nice to get from the inside but getting great push, forcing QB's out of the pocket and stopping the run are the most important aspects for the DT's....glad to hear he is improving.
Right on Vin. The way I see it, with Amobi's current build and ability, he's best suited for wreaking havok at the line and forcing the QB out of the pocket and into a mistake. That's why it is imperative that we get contributions from the DE positions. I love me some Mario, and I think that he is God's gift to the position - but this year he needs to show that consistancy he had late in the season, throughout the year. The other DE, be it Weaver or Bulman or whoever, needs to be able to take advantage of his linemates' play to stuff the run or get after the QB. The more experience the front seven has playing together, the better the chemistry, the better the results.

Say word.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read