Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-07-2008   #21
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: FLASHBACK decision to take Mario Williams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I live in the Houston area (Spring), and spend way too much time talking about the Texans and listening to Sportstalk radio. There's no question that he's right. There were some Mario supporters, but the vast majority of the fans - and casual observers - ripped the Texans a new one.

I wasn't happy with it, and was one of those thinking Bush was the best pick. I like to think the difference between me and numerous others in this community was that once they made a pick I didn't like, I immediately started hoping that Mario and the Texans would prove me wrong. There were way too many folks who I perceived as hoping VY and Reggie would prove that the Texans were stupid just so they could say "I told you so". Shallow and shortsighted, most of them will be on the Mario bandwagon if he can continue what he started last year.
Ain't THAT the truth.
All you had to do was tune into any sports radio call-in show or take a look at either of the Chron.com sports blogs to see all the vehement, angry attitudes of the local VY supporters and the guys who think that we HAD to have RB. And Heaven help you if you actually were one of the folks who defended the selection of Mario or would at least admit to seeing the logic (we'd re-upped Carr and thought we had DD-W) behind the pick at the time. You were cast as just as stupid as the Texans F/O.

And the REALLY sad part is, some of them are STILL claiming VY/RB was the better pick.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #22
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Go back to page 325-327 of this forum's archives for some fun reading about the draft.

04/28/06 is still the highest number of people on this forum, and I remember that night well. Thunderkyss and I were two that I recall were defending the pick against a crush of Reggie/Vince manlovers and Bob McNair haters. Reading back is quite amusing.

I was a trade-down advocate, especially if we could get more value. I wanted D'brick or AJ Hawk, but had no problem with picking Mario after it was all said and done. I'm a defensive kind of guy, believing that championships are won with good defense. So Mario fit that mindset.

I lost a lot of respect for the local media - specifically Justice and Johnny McLame - after that draft. First was the hype of the so-called "Bush Bowl", where you had local fans/media hoping we would lose the last game of a dismal season in order to get the first pick. Then we had the Vince Young hype and David Carr hatred mixed together to form a perfect feeding frenzy. Justice and McLame were handing out pitchforks and torches to storm Reliant, and they've done nothing to gain my respect since then. They seem to have very selective memories these days, but I won't forget their obvious and overwhelming bias for individual players over the team. They could choke on chicken bones today and retire and I wouldn't care less (I'd probably celebrate with a KFC bucket of original recipe).

Then when fans didn't get what they thought they wanted, so many threatened to abandon the team and boycott games because of it. I lost a lot of faith in Houston's hometown fans during 2-14 and the subsequent whining of disappointment. I realized this is a town mostly made of front-runners and bandwaggoners. We have about 20,000 fanatics, but the rest are fickle, at best.

In the end, though, our new football minds prevailed and obviously made the pick that the team needed. And now the bandwagon fills up, which is alright with me. Some of us never left it.
Old 06-07-2008   #23
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

This pick is the whole reason that I'm on this board today.

I wanted D'Brick. I thought it made a lot of sense to trade the #1 pick to the Jets so they could get Bush to replace Curtis Martin. Then we get a tackle and start building our line. Made sense to me.

Then when I heard that we were thinking of picking Mario, I thought it had to be a smokescreen for something else. I was surprised when they actually went ahead with the pick but I was OK with it. I was afraid that Bush might really be the next Gale Sayers and we were going to be a punchline for centuries. But I was already tired of the media telling me that I wanted Bush or Young, neither of which i wanted. So I poked around and went to the Texan's MB to check out what other Texans' fans thought.

And that's why I'm here.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #24
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Go back to page 325-327 of this forum's archives for some fun reading about the draft.

04/28/06 is still the highest number of people on this forum, and I remember that night well. Thunderkyss and I were two that I recall were defending the pick against a crush of Reggie/Vince manlovers and Bob McNair haters. Reading back is quite amusing.

I was a trade-down advocate, especially if we could get more value. I wanted D'brick or AJ Hawk, but had no problem with picking Mario after it was all said and done. I'm a defensive kind of guy, believing that championships are won with good defense. So Mario fit that mindset.

I lost a lot of respect for the local media - specifically Justice and Johnny McLame - after that draft. First was the hype of the so-called "Bush Bowl", where you had local fans/media hoping we would lose the last game of a dismal season in order to get the first pick. Then we had the Vince Young hype and David Carr hatred mixed together to form a perfect feeding frenzy. Justice and McLame were handing out pitchforks and torches to storm Reliant, and they've done nothing to gain my respect since then. They seem to have very selective memories these days, but I won't forget their obvious and overwhelming bias for individual players over the team. They could choke on chicken bones today and retire and I wouldn't care less (I'd probably celebrate with a KFC bucket of original recipe).

Then when fans didn't get what they thought they wanted, so many threatened to abandon the team and boycott games because of it. I lost a lot of faith in Houston's hometown fans during 2-14 and the subsequent whining of disappointment. I realized this is a town mostly made of front-runners and bandwaggoners. We have about 20,000 fanatics, but the rest are fickle, at best.

In the end, though, our new football minds prevailed and obviously made the pick that the team needed. And now the bandwagon fills up, which is alright with me. Some of us never left it.

DB, I was part of your select company. I also was wanting a trade down, but I also argued that I would never criticize my football team for trying to build strong offensive and defensive lines, instead of making fan appeasing moves that only look at the short term and not at the long term development of a winning team. The insanity of the Bush and particularly VYoung fans still irks me thinking about it now.

I was at the game vs. Tennessee in '06, sitting next to two supposed Texan fans who were wearing VY jerseys and cheering for the Titans. I'm proud to say that I heckled them out of my section by the second quarter with chants for Bud Adams... However, that day was so sickening. VY taking a victory lap and the stadium erupting. It's unfortunate how unlikable and uneducated the Houston fan base is. Not only that, but because of them, ticket prices are that much more expensive.

Living in Austin, I put up with this VY crap to this day. Man, I despise UT fans, especially when they're disguised as Texan fans.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #25
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
...I realized this is a town mostly made of front-runners and bandwaggoners. We have about 20,000 fanatics, but the rest are fickle, at best.

how many of us were still in the stands on 10/21/07?

Last edited by barrett; 06-07-2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: forgot to put 07
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #26
Xetuoh1836
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Xetuoh1836 is a Pro BowlerXetuoh1836 is a Pro Bowler
Default Re: Fast foward...

It doesn't make any sense to rehash that draft. The RB/VY "groupies" for the most part have changed their minds or their team. Good for both! Some here probably led the jeers at Reliant (or at home) when the pick was official. Fair enough. I guess that's the price of admission and why most "fans" pay for the ticket and are not on the field or in the front office. Some are fed their knowledge of the game by the entertainment media (example: ESPN, John McClain, Chron.com, ect.) and follow the herd. And some have a football background or are students of the game.

Either way, love him or hate him, he's a Texan! This man is someone special and fits the football culture of this team. He is a man among boy's and will continue to be a force for the foreseeable future and I'm estatic with his play and determination to prove so many wrong!

Read this article on Mario and see if you don't get pumped:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8213234/Texans'-Williams-has-a-love-for-speed

When the Texans have a Hall of Fame, I'd love to see the heads of VY/RB mounted over the door. But, that's just me...

Last edited by Xetuoh1836; 06-09-2008 at 01:07 AM. Reason: link..
Xetuoh1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #27
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, I made my offer: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...72&postcount=7

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2008   #28
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

The props just keep on coming

Quote:
Mario Williams, DE, Houston Texans. At times this spring, Williams has looked unblockable. "If you watch practice right now, you see him at another level," coach Gary Kubiak says. "Football is very important to Mario, and he's working his way toward a big, big year." Those words should grab the attention of Houston's opponents, especially because Williams had 14 sacks in 2007.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #29
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I submit, that since you live in the Dallas area, you have no idea what the "local fans" thought of the Mario pick. As a matter of fact, a lot of us were dead set against Reggie, didn't think Vince was the right QB for our style, and that Mario was probably the best pick, as has dang well been proven. All you 20-20 hindsighters make me laugh.
I submit that since I have been a moderator on one Texans board or another for 5 years or so, that you are trying to re-write history. It is not even up for debate that the Mario pick was not popular among the majority of fans, local or national media.

BTW, wake-up this is not 1973 where you are land locked to three local stations and a local newspaper. Physically living in a certain area does not have the meaning it did a generation ago.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #30
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I was at the game vs. Tennessee in '06, sitting next to two supposed Texan fans who were wearing VY jerseys and cheering for the Titans. I'm proud to say that I heckled them out of my section by the second quarter with chants for Bud Adams... However, that day was so sickening. VY taking a victory lap and the stadium erupting. It's unfortunate how unlikable and uneducated the Houston fan base is. Not only that, but because of them, ticket prices are that much more expensive.

Living in Austin, I put up with this VY crap to this day. Man, I despise UT fans, especially when they're disguised as Texan fans.
Isn't that the truth? I especially hate how this town has adopted the Tita...err, I mean, the Youngs. It makes me sick going to 3B and seeing all the VY Titan jerseys.

But, then again...after all, VY makes everything and everyone better. /sarcasm
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #31
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

My feelings evolved over time:
1) **** you, Kris Brown. Letís take kicker.
2) Yay. We got Bush.
3) Too bad he doesnít run between the tackles. A luxury we can't afford. Wow, VY sure would be nice.
4) Oh, yeah, that Carr extension. Wish we could trade down and get Winston at around 20.
5) Wow, this Mario Williams had some combine. Weak draft for DE's. Wish we could trade down and get him.
6) ?I have no idea.
7) Damn, I'm sick of VY610, VY All Day, Every Day. Just please draft someone and let this end.

Never really liked DíBrick because of concerns about him keeping on weight and that he couldnít slide over to RT if he didnít make the grade on the left side.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #32
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Sorry man, but I have to disagree here. All of my co-workers and most of my football watching buddies, and family wanted either Reggie or Vince (I was like edo, I wanted D'Brick).

I don't know anybody that was deadset against Reggie, and most people who didn't think Vince would get picked because we had just extended Carr (Not that they DIDN"T want Vince, because most people that believed this did want Vince).

Didn't the draft party have a whole bunch of jeers and boo's added to the mix as well when the pick was made?
The guys on hpf.com were more or less who I was speaking of. Of course that board is gone so you would have had to be a poster there to believe what I am saying, but I reiterate, I thought Reggie was trying to manipulate himself into the Draft, while I thought VY was a helluva option read QB for Texas when they won the NCAA Championship, but I knew he didn't have the NFL skills we had to have. I hope the both of you have learned to have more confidence in our G.M.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #33
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The guys on hpf.com were more or less who I was speaking of. Of course that board is gone so you would have had to be a poster there to believe what I am saying, but I reiterate, I thought Reggie was trying to manipulate himself into the Draft, while I thought VY was a helluva option read QB for Texas when they won the NCAA Championship, but I knew he didn't have the NFL skills we had to have. I hope the both of you have learned to have more confidence in our G.M.
Our GM at the time was Casserly. He finally did something right, and it took the whole world telling him not to.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #34
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

As the draft approached in 06 it seemed inevitable that the Texans would take Reggie Bust .... At the time I prefered Young but the extension of HWWNBM pretty much ruled that out , Mario was an afterthought . The way it looks now .... the Texans made the right choice as Bush has been a $54million bust and Young has not progressed (more like regresed) while Mario has gotten consistently better.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #35
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was a poster on that board NoBullTexan.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #36
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

This clip makes me smile:

Reggie Bush Highlight

I'm bored and the offseason is long
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #37
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I was for drafting Reggie Bush, but I was not one of those people who bashed the Texans after we took Mario Williams. I hated listening to sports radio that day. I remember listening to Carl Dukes when he was on 790 and all he did was fan the flames (just like every other talk show host).

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #38
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I was for drafting Reggie Bush, but I was not one of those people who bashed the Texans after we took Mario Williams. I hated listening to sports radio that day. I remember listening to Carl Dukes when he was on 790 and all he did was fan the flames (just like every other talk show host).

I was too but as soon as we drafted Mario, I was on board with the pick. I remember listening to Rich Lord about the Texans not drafting Vince Young "The Texans may have passed up drafting Earl Campbell".

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #39
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario Biting on a Fake by the Jags

Totally destroys the running back.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #40
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Most (not even close) of the Texans fans, local and national media felt the Mario williams pick was a mistake, so Justice has plenty of company in that apology line.
Shows how misinformed Arlington and the rest of the nation was regarding the Drafting of Mario. We, on most of the message boards, were soundly behind the pick. To the tune of 80% or more.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read