Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-06-2008   #1
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default FLASHBACK decision to take Mario Williams.

I just ran across this youtube video.....I've never seen it before, but it gives you a perspective on how beat up our F.O. was at the time for chosing Mario over Reggie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQI4V...en&sitesearch=

After watching the clip, Richard Justice needs to get bent and offer the Texans (especially Bob McNair) a public apology and, Justice needs to seriously give up his football reporting ambitions.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: FLASHBACK decision to take Mario Williams.

I think Justice is fickle and ignorant, but I don't see how this video reflects that.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Most (not even close) of the Texans fans, local and national media felt the Mario williams pick was a mistake, so Justice has plenty of company in that apology line.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Most (not even close) of the Texans fans, local and national media felt the Mario williams pick was a mistake, so Justice has plenty of company in that apology line.
I'll collect tickets for that line.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #5
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I'll collect tickets for that line.
Me too. I didn't castrate them over the pick, but I felt they needed something on offense and Bush was "can't miss."

I hope Mario keeps taking revenge on all us doubters. Next year is going to be damn exciting to watch.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #6
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8213234/Texans

some "positive" press for mario. (worded more like he's got a problem)

but still... press.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #7
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11706 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post

but still... press.
That's a good article on Mario. Thanks!

That would be something if he won Defensive Player of the Year!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-06-2008   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post

but still... press.
I'll take a love of cars over "makin it rain" everyday thank you.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #9
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

I had been wanting them to trade down and get an O-lineman for awhile. Then I started to get used to the idea of Reggie Bush and what he could do with DD. (Not knowing ofcourse that DD would become DD/W and never be heard from again.) When they did announce that the pick would be Mario, I didn't understand the pick but didn't get upset either.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted D-Brick, because that was a major issue IMO at the time. However, I assumed we would take Bush and was sort of "OK" with that as he was supposed to be such an offensive weapon. When on Wednesday (IIRC) before the draft, we said we were taking Mario, I wasn't upset, but was curriouse about him and why. After looking at him and our team and what he could bring to the game, I thought "This could be a good thing and time will tell". I would be pretty hard at this point to say it wasn't the right pick. Reggie is flirting closely with the bust tag (this year should define it). VY is not panning out as some thought and also is flirting with the bust tag, but IMO has a better chance of avoiding it and getting to the journyman level for most of his career. D-Brick has been ......average at best. So, given all of that, Mario was and is far and away the best pick talent wise and for this team.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #11
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I submit, that since you live in the Dallas area, you have no idea what the "local fans" thought of the Mario pick. As a matter of fact, a lot of us were dead set against Reggie, didn't think Vince was the right QB for our style, and that Mario was probably the best pick, as has dang well been proven. All you 20-20 hindsighters make me laugh.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I almost wanted them to refuse to choose anyone.

"We're not making a pick until somebody offers us a trade." lol

Obviously, Mario was the right choice.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #13
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I think Justice is fickle and ignorant, but I don't see how this video reflects that.
ditto.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

what exactly did Justice say in this video that was so bad? I didn't hear him criticize the Mario pick in this video.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I submit, that since you live in the Dallas area, you have no idea what the "local fans" thought of the Mario pick. As a matter of fact, a lot of us were dead set against Reggie, didn't think Vince was the right QB for our style, and that Mario was probably the best pick, as has dang well been proven. All you 20-20 hindsighters make me laugh.
Sorry man, but I have to disagree here. All of my co-workers and most of my football watching buddies, and family wanted either Reggie or Vince (I was like edo, I wanted D'Brick).

I don't know anybody that was deadset against Reggie, and most people who didn't think Vince would get picked because we had just extended Carr (Not that they DIDN"T want Vince, because most people that believed this did want Vince).

Didn't the draft party have a whole bunch of jeers and boo's added to the mix as well when the pick was made?
Old 06-07-2008   #16
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I live in the Houston area (Spring), and spend way too much time talking about the Texans and listening to Sportstalk radio. There's no question that he's right. There were some Mario supporters, but the vast majority of the fans - and casual observers - ripped the Texans a new one.

I wasn't happy with it, and was one of those thinking Bush was the best pick. I like to think the difference between me and numerous others in this community was that once they made a pick I didn't like, I immediately started hoping that Mario and the Texans would prove me wrong. There were way too many folks who I perceived as hoping VY and Reggie would prove that the Texans were stupid just so they could say "I told you so". Shallow and shortsighted, most of them will be on the Mario bandwagon if he can continue what he started last year.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #17
b0ng
Ooops

haha, I beat you.
Old 06-07-2008   #18
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
haha, I beat you.
Hangs head in shame.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #19
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 612 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

I went from screaming at the tv as Reggie ran up and down the field "The Texans better get him!" to "We need to look hard at the cat from NC St.

I took alot of abuse for that. Especially from the horned crowd who said VY walks on water. Do you think Titan fan would approve a trade of VY for Mario straight up right about now?
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #20
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
I took alot of abuse for that. Especially from the horned crowd who said VY walks on water. Do you think Titan fan would approve a trade of VY for Mario straight up right about now?
The smarter ones would. That being said, I bet most of the messageboard go'ers would probably be like "No Mario is a bust lalalalalalala I can't hear you"

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read