Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-14-2004   #41
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think one would help and I agree with you for the most part. Which would you rather have, a rookie back (say first day, but probably not first round) or a free agent?
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #42
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have a big preference but if we have to overpay for a back then I'd just as soon draft one. I think this is one of our biggest needs along with TE and Buc linebacker.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #43
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Me too. I don't think it was the "Stacy Mack Experience" that put me in the draft one camp or anything. It just seems like where free agent backs are concerned you're either going to pay an absolute ton of money or you're going to have to take a chance on someone like Corey Dillon (who's worked out fine for New England, don't get me wrong) who a lot of people were worried was going to bring some baggage with him, or you're basically paying for a guy like Mack who you think might be your answer but you can't be sure. You've got a good chance of getting a situational guy who's not going to solve your primary back problem anyway.

You can draft one of those.
Old 12-14-2004   #44
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that if Hollings could have proven some worth by now we would not have to consider this need right now but the reality is he hasn't shown he can be an NFL back yet. Dom is not enough to carry this team as Duce Staley would not be enough in Pittsburgh if he had Wells and Hollings backing him up. Put another good back with Duce and you got one of the top running games in the NFL. I see the same kind of deal here in Houston next year.

Old 12-14-2004   #45
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 299943 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
someone can prove me wrong,but when I see "keys to stopping" the Texans. I don't recall one being "stop Davis" I don't mean that in a bad way.
Well, I don't have a way to prove it (this was on pre-game shows I do not record), but early in the season for a couple games and at least once in the last 3-4 weeks I have seen exactly that as talking points prior to Texans' games. Having said that, Davis should not be the primary focus for most defenses--AJ should be. That is as much or more a reflection on AJ than DD. IMO DD is serviceable and would be plenty of RB if the Texans OL became one of the top 10 OL's in the league. On the other hand, Ronnie Brown does look very interesting--not sold yet on Benson or Williams.
Old 12-14-2004   #46
DreamCatcher
Rookie

DD has finished the season strong and if he can start next season the same,then it has got to be good for the Texans O.
Old 12-14-2004   #47
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 299943 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Heck, he wasn't even the lead back in College.
Does this preclude Ronnie Brown from being a strong consideration?

IMO Herv hit it about on the head--with better line play DD is sufficient, without better line play the offense isn't making more than incremental improvements even if you get the next LaDainian Tomlinson.
Old 12-14-2004   #48
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
It's a mixed bag. In order for the Texans to threaten you with the passing game Davis has got to be effective running the ball.

and it's tempting to get mad because AJ & Co. aren't getting the ball but without considering the amount of time Carr has or how good the coverage is on those recievers it's hard to tell what's going on with that. Truthfully you can't even be sure that Carr is even looking at all of them before opting to toss it to Davis.
It would be nice if it took more than four guys to blow up our O-line. The defense effectively has 7 guys covering our four receivers. So what do you do, dump it to the open man, DD. If we could hold up a four man rush then the D would have to bring more guys to get to Carr, leaving one on one coverage.
Old 12-14-2004   #49
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

To answer the topic of this thread, he SHOULD make 1000 yds this season. After all, he only gets about 99% of all the snaps! ( tons of sarcasm intended)
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #50
Hervoyel
The Right Track

I think you underestimate how much Davis gets the ball SheTexan. I'm sure it's well over 99.7% of the plays
Old 12-14-2004   #51
pek281
Rookie

Rep Power: 17 pek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
To answer the topic of this thread, he SHOULD make 1000 yds this season.
Agreed. With 168 yards to go, he needs to average 56 yards over the next three games. He's looking nice and healthy lately.
pek281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #52
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Actually I predict he'll get a hundred in each of the next 3 games. I don't see any reason why he won't do it. As has been pointed out many times in this thread if Davis gets his hundred but you can put a stop to AJ & Co. then you're going to win the game.

Until it's proved otherwise though I'm hoping for an 8-8 finish. The Texans slip by the Bears in a close one, the upset the Jags to get another two in row. Finally to end the season they beat the hapless, already planning their summer vacations Cleveland Browns to win three in a row for the first time ever.

(And everyone please just shut up about how unlikely this is to happen and leave me to my fantasy, I've only got 4 more days before the Chicago game to enjoy it and I know how unlikely it is. Show a fellow Texans fan some mercy and let me pretend for a while)
Old 12-14-2004   #53
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Once he is hit he goes down, and he doesnt have the swift feet like Sanders. He may be getting some yards, but they need a back that can get the extra yards and give other teams a scare.
I definately disagree about getting hit and going down. He might not punish people, but the way he keeps his legs churning, he rarely goes down on first contact. I like Dom, he's a hard worker. But the fact of the matter is, is he can't stay healthy. I was worried about it before this year, and unfortunately he's done nothing to prove me wrong. I think he will be a great third down back for us. Imagine how effective we could be with someone like Staley as our featured back and Dom coming in on third down. He could make the short yardage either running or receiving. Exactly what a third down back does. I just don't know if that will happen next year. But I'm pretty sure that there will be another back in here, so it may happen. I think Hollings has got to go. I'm so tired of seeing his name on the injury report every week, I could puke.
Old 12-14-2004   #54
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Wells

Gotta love my OSU boy :-)

So, football ignorance on my behalf (I just starting reading "Football for dummies" to pick up the finer points) what do our fullbacks (or any other teams') do? The only reason I know who they are is from the roster.

Do they legitimately ever carry the ball, or just block for DD and Wells?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #55
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Most fullbacks don't see the ball much. They are generally smaller, more athletic TE types who can put a helmet on defender in space and blow them up. They are mainly guys who are outstanding blockers.

Old 12-14-2004   #56
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
They are mainly guys who are outstanding blockers.
And they tend to be significant special teams players.
Old 12-14-2004   #57
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

If I remember correctly, last year DD led the league in yards after first contact. He is not an easy out for someone trying to tackle him, WHEN he is healthy.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #58
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
well Fiddy i have been listening to all your comments about Davis and i see where your coming from. And infact the same thing is happening with carr, oh and gaffney has not had big numbers this year either, ok sorry payne not enough sacks time to go, lets just fire them all because noone on the team has performed extremely well this year. So is it time to cut all the players and start over ????? NO because DAVIS (is a good back), Carr is a good QB. I'm just saying if we must talk bad than talk bad about the whole team, and ya dont think the O-line has anything to do with Davis's troulbles this season ? Barry Sanders couldnt even run behind the line we have had lately !
Gaff had a great start to the season after the first two games when Davis was out of the gameplan, Carr had his best moments when Davis wasnt part of the offense (1st half vs. 2nd half of the Minnesota game is the best example). Payne's job isnt to get sacks, its to tie up multiple blockers to get the LBs sacks (which hasnt happened because we have been rushing 3 and dropping 8) and he is coming back from an ACL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
someone can prove me wrong,but when I see "keys to stopping" the Texans. I don't recall one being "stop Davis" I don't mean that in a bad way. It is that teams know that the more times it is in Davis' hands the less it will be in Aj,Gaffney or whoever and the defense doesn't have to put a special defender on Davis. That is why the Colts can play their Cover 2 and drop the MLB back and not worry that Davis is going to break one. Davis is a wonderful weapon when it is 3rd and short.. He can get the 3 yards and he can catch.
No one can prove you wrong but I have given stats in other threads to prove you right...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #59
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
If I remember correctly, last year DD led the league in yards after first contact. He is not an easy out for someone trying to tackle him, WHEN he is healthy.
No, that was AJ leading in yards after catch.

When Davis is playing really well he breaks some tackles. When he is not playing at his best he goes down the first time he is touched. And considering how easy it is for him to get "nicked up" he is rarely playing at his best.

As far as Ronnie Brown being a backup at Auburn just like Davis was a backup at LSU, consider who they were backing up. Brown would have been the starter if he had played at LSU the same time as Davis, while Davis would never have seen the field if he was at Auburn this year.

Back to the original point of this thread, I think Davis will get to a thousand yards as long as he doesn't catch a cold or get a paper cut. If either of those happen he might need to be out on injured reserve.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #60
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

LOL, yes, back to the original point.

IF he plays all his remaining quarters, he'll get it.

Quit scoring Wells, I need fantasy points!
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read