Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-05-2008   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Best ever running backs

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...t&lid=tab2pos1

Quote:
It started with eight great football minds and seemingly a simple request.

Rank the 10 best running backs in NFL history.

By the time all was said and done, Don Shula, Marv Levy, Dan Reeves, Robert Smith, Jerry Richardson, Floyd Reese, Jack Bushofsky and Emmitt Thomas had thrown around nearly four dozen names, debated the merits of runners who had seemed flawless when they entered the Pro Football Hall of Fame and helped pare a list to include only the most elite of the elite.

With lots of input from those eight, ESPN.com subjectively developed a list that spanned different eras, took changes in the game into account and came to this conclusion -- Jim Brown was the best running back ever.
1. Jim Brown
2. Barry Sanders
3. Walter Payton
4. Emmitt Smith
5. Gale Sayers
6. Ladainian Tomlinson
7. Marshall Faulk
8. O.J. Simpson
9. Lenny Moore
10. Eric Dickerson

That's ESPN's list not mine.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Best ever running backs

Here's my list:

1-10 Earl Christian Campbell.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #3
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post

1. Jim Brown
2. Barry Sanders
3. Walter Payton
4. Emmitt Smith
5. Gale Sayers
6. Ladainian Tomlinson
7. Marshall Faulk
8. O.J. Simpson
9. Lenny Moore
10. Eric Dickerson

That's an impressive list but hate not seeing Earl in the top 10. He's #1 one on my list.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
That's an impressive list but hate not seeing Earl in the top 10. He's #1 one on my list.
I wouldn't put Earl #1 but I think he's in the top 10. Tomlinson shouldn't be in there until his playing career is done. I'd but Earl Campbell at #5 or 6

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #5
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldn't put Earl #1 but I think he's in the top 10. Tomlinson shouldn't be in there until his playing career is done. I'd but Earl Campbell at #5 or 6

I think you could argue that he could take Lenny Moore's place in the Top 10. I agree about Tomlinson shouldn't be on there until he is retired. He needs to finish his body of work.

Old 06-05-2008   #6
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

I am sorry, but I would move Emmitt to the bottom or off. I believe Emmitt was a beneficiary of a great O-line and offensive talent.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13

Last edited by Texaninlild; 06-05-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. Jim Brown
2. Barry Sanders
3. Walter Payton
4. Emmitt Smith
5. Gale Sayers
6. Ladainian Tomlinson
7. Marshall Faulk
8. O.J. Simpson
9. Lenny Moore
10. Eric Dickerson

Second Honeymoon!! Oh, Second Honeymoon!!

Wondering why so many people here hate BSPN. The omission of Earl is criminal...

Aren't those guys (BSPN) based in New York City??

New York City? Get a Rope!! (yes, I know its Bristol CT.)

PS...SH, Cardinals still suck!!!
Old 06-05-2008   #8
Brando
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaninlild View Post
I am sorry, but I would Emmitt to the bottom or off. I believe Emmitt was a beneficiary of a great O-line and offensive talent.
He is there for his broadcasting abilities,lol.

"He turn around and go deep on Dre' Bly"

Last edited by Brando; 06-05-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2008   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm skeptical of Marshal Faulk on that list. He was a great running back, but he too benefited from a system that they ran, especially during the "Greatest Show on Turf" days...

But not top 10 in my book.
Old 06-05-2008   #10
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaninlild View Post
I am sorry, but I would move Emmitt to the bottom or off. I believe Emmitt was a beneficiary of a great O-line and offensive talent.
Emmitt DID have a great line but he still made the yards.

Repeating past history but when the Cowboys had to have a win Emmitt busted his butt and ran with a separated shoulder. HE won that game for them.

Emmitt was GREAT!

And omitting Earl is criminal.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

For Earl not to be on this list is a travesty. Sayers? Moore? Faulk? Give me a break. Those dudes don't even stand to measure up to Earl. I would have Campbell at about #7 behind the other true greats.

My rankings:
1. Barry Sanders
2. Jim Brown
3. Eric Dickerson
4. Emmitt Smith
5. Walter Payton
6. LaDanian Tomlinson
7. Earl Campbell
8. OJ Simpson
9. Bo Jackson (like Earl, short career but was just dominant and probably most talented of any RB ever)
10. Thurman Thomas (changed the whole game for RBs and paved way for Faulk)
Old 06-05-2008   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

re: Earl not on the list.

'eh, we all know this is an opinion poll, and the old saying about opinions should be applied accordingly.
Old 06-05-2008   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

1. Jim Brown
2. Barry Sanders
3. Walter Payton
4. Earl Campbell

The rest.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #14
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

These are others that they mentioned

Curtis Martin, Thurman Thomas, Jim Taylor, Terrell Davis, Tiki Barber, Fred Taylor and Marcus Allen. Earl Campbell, Franco Harris, Tony Dorsett, Larry Csonka, John Riggins and Shaun Alexander

Sorry but I know the homers think Earl should be there but his career was shorter than expected and there are plenty of guys above that have just as good an argument.

Earl is one of my favorites but we have to be realistic here. He could or could not have bene on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
Emmitt DID have a great line but he still made the yards.

Repeating past history but when the Cowboys had to have a win Emmitt busted his butt and ran with a separated shoulder. HE won that game for them.

Emmitt was GREAT!
Thanks for being realistic. Fresh on here sometimes.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 06-05-2008 at 04:33 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Second Honeymoon!! Oh, Second Honeymoon!!

Wondering why so many people here hate BSPN. The omission of Earl is criminal...

Aren't those guys (BSPN) based in New York City??

New York City? Get a Rope!! (yes, I know its Bristol CT.)

PS...SH, Cardinals still suck!!!
this guy is a hack. earl should be on the list, no doubt.

as for the emboldened...pfft :mshadows:

don't make me break out the history book on ya

fwiw - i like the way the 2008 incarnation of the Astros. Getting rid of some of the old farts has done a lot for your team energy and guys look like they have fun and have personality now. nice change from the automaton Astros of recent years. you, like the Cards, are still staying relevant even though both teams have little to no starting pitching. When, not if, the Cubs slip up, someone has to step up and punk Chicago for the 100th season in a row. I want to see their futility reach the triple digits. Once our Cy Young winner Carpenter and Mulder come off the DL, the Cards will improve greatly and may be able to salvage this bargain basement roster of the Cards that the cheap owners in STL put together in 2008. I like Glaus but to see Rolen blowing up in Toronto makes me ill inside....that dude had been a Cards fan since birth and you knew the guy was just having a bad spell....oh well LaRussa hated him and it was either Rolen or LaRussa...owners chose LaRussa...probably the wise move but it still hurts. Rolen was my favorite Card and it would be like trading Berkman for Jose Vizcaino.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 06-05-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #16
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
These are others that they mentioned

Curtis Martin, Thurman Thomas, Jim Taylor, Terrell Davis, Tiki Barber, Fred Taylor and Marcus Allen. Earl Campbell, Franco Harris, Tony Dorsett, Larry Csonka, John Riggins and Shaun Alexander

Sorry but I know the homers think Earl should be there but his career was shorter than expected and there are plenty of guys above that have just as good an argument.

Earl is one of my favorites but we have to be realistic here.

Thanks for being realistic. Fresh on here sometimes.
Tony Dorsett, Franco Harris, and Marshall Faulk were my honorable mentions. Good team success but not quite Top 10 material.
Old 06-05-2008   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post

It is not necessarily a homer take to believe that not may RBs were even close to the physical power and force that Earl displayed. I have yet to see a RB get close to carrying several defenders downfield and still shed them for more yardage. He would run through, over, and around guys, and actually shortened several careers as a result.

I completely understand why the names are on the list, and they deserve the respect. But, by the same way that you accuse us of going homer for Earl, I think there were some homer opinions that created that list, as well.

I'd put John Riggins on that list instead of a couple of those names. It doesn't look like power runners got much love.
Old 06-05-2008   #18
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
It is not necessarily a homer take to believe that not may RBs were even close to the physical power and force that Earl displayed. I have yet to see a RB get close to carrying several defenders downfield and still shed them for more yardage. He would run through, over, and around guys, and actually shortened several careers as a result.

I completely understand why the names are on the list, and they deserve the respect. But, by the same way that you accuse us of going homer for Earl, I think there were some homer opinions that created that list, as well.

I'd put John Riggins on that list instead of a couple of those names. It doesn't look like power runners got much love.
My bad DB. Poor choice of words. I just knew when I opened the thread I'd see the "Emmitt doesn't belong there, Earl was robbed" talk. It is ever present. Not really homerism but not being able to step back.

Again, Earl is one of my favorite players ever. His style was one that was unique and what he did in his short time was incredible.

But if you are looking at Top 10 backs and you see the panel they put together, much of it makes sense. Dorsett has a strong case with his complete numbers and speed. Marcus Allen probably has a better case than both of them for longevity, yards, TDs, etc.

My statement was in no way to take away from Earl or meant as slight. I just think if you step back and look at all of these guys then it isn't automatic to put him in there or a travesty that he isn't in there.
Old 06-05-2008   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. Jim Brown
2. Barry Sanders
3. Walter Payton
4. Emmitt Smith
5. Gale Sayers
6. Ladainian Tomlinson
7. Marshall Faulk
8. O.J. Simpson
9. Lenny Moore
10. Eric Dickerson
I dunno how it could be ESPNs list when Reggie Bush's name is missing ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #20
Ckw

The same argument used against Earl ("his career was too short") should also be used on Gale Sayers. I put Earl in Gale's place 10 times out of 10.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read