Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-04-2008   #21
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Golic "dissed" the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Well said.
You guys who always complain about the Texans aren't getting as much cred as the Cowboys are just Cowboy haters. So get real with yourselfs and wait for the Texans to have some real success with their franchise.
And look, I'm not a Cowboys fan. The thing is would you honestly expect the Texans to be spoken about in the same sentence with the likes of the Packers, or Steelers, or 49ers, or other great NFL franchises (historically speaking) ? I don't think so and you probably wouldn't be too offended if they weren't treated with the same respect as the other legendary teams (not including the Cowboys).
Our time is coming. And in the meantime don't expect to be talked of in the same breathe with the NFLs greats.
Well said. Everyone knows where I came from and being a Cowboy guy who is here for the Texans. You can't expect them to act like you are something big when 8-8 is your best record. Dallas is one of the top franchises in the history of the NFL so there is a pressure and internal clock in the franchise to get back to winning SBs or even playoff games. It was a comparison of situations.
Old 06-04-2008   #22
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Golic is the opposite of a metrosexual. He's one Italian surname away from being a bit player on the Sopranos.
Interesting point...

Old 06-04-2008   #23
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 176918 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Interesting point...

"You Sopranos...you take things too faaaaah."

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #24
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

what is up with Houston's infatuation with feeling everyone is against them and that ESPN has some personal vendetta against the city and its citizenry? I just don't get it. It just doesnt hold water. The reason Golic brought up the Texans is because the organization was relatively pleased with the progress last year in their first non-losing 8-8 season whereas 8-8 in other town's gets you run. He could have just said 'expansion team' instead of Texans and he would have meant the same thing. Golic respects what is going on down here and has said so on many occasions. Golic wasn't dissing anyone or the Texans in particular. He was just calling a spade a spade and sometimes spades dont like to be called spades whether its valid or false.

believe me, I am not a huge fan of ESPN and they are EXTREMELY biased in favor of covering the east coast teams (especially in baseball) but I don't think they go out of their way to take shots at Houston. It's just when you are low man on the totem pole, you will find that s**t runs downhill and if some analyst is looking for an NFL team that has lower expectations than the Cowboys, one of the prime examples would be the Texans as much as any team in the league. We are an expansion team that has yet to field a winning season. You don't get respect, you earn it and the Texans have done nothing to earn it yet.....yet...and then even then its not a guarantee you will get it.

When the Cards won their 10th World Series in 06, it barely registered a beat at ESPN...but omfg if the Mets would have beat the Cards in the NLSC you would have heard all about the World Series and the parade, interviews, spotlights, etc. Geez, I have heard more about Jabba Chamberlain in the past 24 hours than I have ever heard about the World Series in 2006. It's like the series wasn't even played because it didn't involve Boston or New York. So its no guarantee that they will give you respect even when you win it all.

they are what they are, yankee/chowd sports network...with a little Mets in there to make all the pasties happy. if you dont like their football coverage, simply watch NFLN or if you cant get NFLN read an article from the variety of non-ESPN outlets out there on the interweb. NFLN has far and away the best coverage and most teams are getting equal footing for the exception of the Cowboys (hate or love them, they provide plenty of ammo for any analyst)

that all being said (and im long winded as usual) I have to actually give ESPN some credit for covering the NHL more lately, which is ironic because they rarely covered it in the past when they owned the freaking TV rights. Some good puck tonight. Broadcast in HD on NBC. It's going to be a war. GO PENS!!

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 06-04-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #25
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Interesting point...

that guy is the picture of innocent stupidity. for crying out loud, that loser married Janice. Psycho hose beast Janice.

Loved Big B though...just a loveable dumbass
Old 06-04-2008   #26
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

this is the last year that we will be thought of as "the same ol' texans". we're legit after this year.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #27
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
what is up with Houston's infatuation with feeling everyone is against them and that ESPN has some personal vendetta against the city and its citizenry? I just don't get it. It just doesnt hold water. The reason Golic brought up the Texans is because the organization was relatively pleased with the progress last year in their first non-losing 8-8 season whereas 8-8 in other town's gets you run. He could have just said 'expansion team' instead of Texans and he would have meant the same thing.

believe me, I am not a huge fan of ESPN and they are EXTREMELY biased in favor of covering the east coast teams (especially in baseball) but I don't think they go out of their way to take shots at Houston. It's just when you are low man on the totem pole, you will find that s**t runs downhill and if some analyst is looking for an NFL team that has lower expectations than the Cowboys, one of the prime examples would be the Texans as much as any team in the league. We are an expansion team that has yet to field a winning season. You don't get respect, you earn it and the Texans have done nothing to earn it yet.....yet...and then even then its not a guarantee you will get it.

When the Cards won their 10th World Series in 06, it barely registered a beat at ESPN...but omfg if the Mets would have beat the Cards in the NLSC you would have heard all about the World Series and the parade, interviews, spotlights, etc. Geez, I have heard more about Joba Chamberlain in the past 24 hours than I ever heard about most teams much less players.

they are what they are, yankee/chowd sports network...with a little Mets in their to make everything happy. if you dont like their football coverage, simply watch NFLN or if you cant get NFLN read an article from the variety of non-ESPN outlets out there on the interweb. NFLN has far and away the best coverage and most teams are getting equal footing for the exception of the Cowboys (hate or love them, they provide plenty of ammo for any analyst)

that all being said (and im long winded as usual) I have to actually give ESPN some credit for covering the NHL more lately, which is ironic because they rarely covered it in the past when they owned the freaking TV rights. Some good puck tonight. It's going to be a war. GO PENS!!

Curious if a) you actually read people's posts or b) if you fail to read between the lines in some of the posts??

Generally speaking, what I have read are a couple of things. a) Golic is, has been and more than likely will always be douche. b) People don't care about his opinions one way or the other and lastly c) Until there is some consistent winning going on here, people such as Golic who are mental midgets will go go for the easy pot shots...

BSPN sucks in it's coverage unless (as you admit) it involves Yankees, Sox or anything New York - or Chowd Nation related... But it is what is...

Now bring up Sports Illustrated and I can tell you exactly what pissed me off about them.
Old 06-04-2008   #28
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
what is up with Houston's infatuation with feeling everyone is against them and that ESPN has some personal vendetta against the city and its citizenry? I just don't get it. It just doesnt hold water. The reason Golic brought up the Texans is because the organization was relatively pleased with the progress last year in their first non-losing 8-8 season whereas 8-8 in other town's gets you run. He could have just said 'expansion team' instead of Texans and he would have meant the same thing.

When the Cards won their 10th World Series in 06, it barely registered a beat at ESPN...but omfg if the Mets would have beat the Cards in the NLSC you would have heard all about the World Series and the parade, interviews, spotlights, etc. Geez, I have heard more about Joba Chamberlain in the past 24 hours than I ever heard about most teams much less players.

they are what they are, yankee/chowd sports network...with a little Mets in their to make everything happy. if you dont like their football coverage, simply watch NFLN or if you cant get NFLN read an article from the variety of non-ESPN outlets out there on the interweb. NFLN has far and away the best coverage and most teams are getting equal footing for the exception of the Cowboys (hate or love them, they provide plenty of ammo for any analyst)

that all being said (and im long winded as usual) I have to actually give ESPN some credit for covering the NHL more lately, which is ironic because they rarely covered it in the past when they owned the freaking TV rights. Some good puck tonight. It's going to be a war. GO PENS!!

Curious if a) you actually read people's posts or b) if you fail to read between the lines in some of the posts??

Generally speaking, what I have read are a couple of things. a) Golic is, has been and more than likely will always be douche. b) People don't care about his opinions one way or the other and lastly c) Until there is some consistent winning going on here, people such as Golic who are mental midgets will go go for the easy pot shots...

BSPN sucks in it's coverage unless (as you admit) it involves Yankees, Sox or anything New York - or Chowd Nation related... But it is what is...

Now bring up Sports Illustrated and I can tell you exactly what pissed me off about them.

C'mon SH, you're better than that.
Old 06-04-2008   #29
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And...........the Cardinals Suck!
Old 06-04-2008   #30
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 176918 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Makes me wish The Sporting News had a network. I tend to respect their coverage...they have a Devil Ray....errr....Deviless Ray on this week's cover. A Ray!

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
Old 06-04-2008   #31
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start On # 69 View Post
Looks to me like Golic is using "Slim Slow" instead of Nutri-System .

Those type of comments will continue until this team proves itself to be something other than a mediocre team . The Bengals used to get it , and until the Texans make that move out of the cellar , they will continue to diss on them . To hell with em' .
The Bengals should still be the ones getting them and the one thing I don't get with all of this coming up is...

Even though Dallas won more games last year, how can fans continue to love them when they take in every athletic asshole in the league, I mean TO, Tank Johnson, and now Pacman. Personally I'm suprised they didn't offer their 2nd first rounder for Ocho Cinco and I'll be looking for Odel Thurman to sign a deal next year. In a league gone strict why, IN GOD'S NAME do the cowpies attract so many people!?!?!?!?!?
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #32
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
And...........the Cardinals Suck!
Good point. I forgot to mention that.... I'm slipping.
Old 06-04-2008   #33
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Makes me wish The Sporting News had a network. I tend to respect their coverage...they have a Devil Ray....errr....Deviless Ray on this week's cover. A Ray!
WOW... That's awesome, but that may be in part because the Deviless (I like that) Rays are kicking a$$ right now.
Old 06-04-2008   #34
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Quote:
WOW... That's awesome, but that may be in part because the Deviless (I like that) Rays are kicking a$$ right now.
Yeah, but at least they're getting coverage! ESPN probably mentions them for a second as the leaders in the AL East, then go on to rub themselves all over the Yanks and BoSox. You can't earn coverage on ESPN, you just have to be "born" in the right part of the country.

Old 06-04-2008   #35
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, but at least they're getting coverage! ESPN probably mentions them for a second as the leaders in the AL East, then go on to rub themselves all over the Yanks and BoSox. You can't earn coverage on ESPN, you just have to be "born" in the right part of the country.
LMAO!! Right! What was I thinking??
Old 06-04-2008   #36
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:

C'mon SH, you're better than that.
I wasn't taking a shot at anyone in particular,TB, just the mindset. I was just speaking to the victim attitude that seems to exist towards ESPN and other national media outlets in regards to their biases towards Houston sports teams in particular. If you don't feel there has been that expressed by Houston fan before, than that is fine but I have heard those same feelings expressed. I just didn't feel it was valid with Golic and I am admittedly a Golic fan. He likes Houston and he was one of the few that expressed support of the Mario selection back in the day. He may harbor some old Oiler resentment from his playing days but we will leave that to Merrill Hoge. That guy is so anti-ANYTHING Texas its almost comical.

oh man, I want this season to start yesterday. Oh, and let me be the first to say the Patriots will falter this year. Even with their soft division schedule, I think their secondary is really going to be a big problem this year.
Old 06-04-2008   #37
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
I wasn't taking a shot at anyone in particular,TB, just the mindset. I was just speaking to the victim attitude that seems to exist towards ESPN and other national media outlets in regards to their biases towards Houston sports teams in particular. If you don't feel there has been that expressed by Houston fan before, than that is fine but I have heard those same feelings expressed. I just didn't feel it was valid with Golic and I am admittedly a Golic fan. He likes Houston and he was one of the few that expressed support of the Mario selection back in the day. He may harbor some old Oiler resentment from his playing days but we will leave that to Merrill Hoge. That guy is so anti-ANYTHING Texas its almost comical.

oh man, I want this season to start yesterday. Oh, and let me be the first to say the Patriots will falter this year. Even with their soft division schedule, I think their secondary is really going to be a big problem this year.

I think that's the disconnect here. I don't see us as having a 'victim attitude'. In fact, quite the opposite. I see it more as a 'not giving a damn' attitude. I think we are more like 'water off a duck's back'.

Certainly that attitude doesn't apply to all, but for those that it doesn't apply to, I have no fault with them - either. There are more than enough examples to show where their feelings derive from..
Old 06-04-2008   #38
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Interesting point...

Thats exactly who I was thinking of . Bobby !!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #39
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think that's the disconnect here. I don't see us as having a 'victim attitude'. In fact, quite the opposite. I see it more as a 'not giving a damn' attitude. I think we are more like 'water off a duck's back'.

Certainly that attitude doesn't apply to all, but for those that it doesn't apply to, I have no fault with them - either. There are more than enough examples to show where their feelings derive from..
I think there's somewhat of a victim attitude in Houston in general. But I think it's rightfully felt, from the UH NCAA Finals loss and crappy officiating, to the Oilers losing to Buffalo, to New York calling Houston a "hellhole" when the NBA finals were here.

Screw it, I've heard plenty of nationally syndicated radio shows that trash the Texans though, definitely not worthy of it's own thread.

Last edited by b0ng; 06-04-2008 at 09:50 PM.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #40
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike & Mike aside, I listen to Sirius NFL pretty much every day and the Texans are getting some love. They STILL won't hammer on Reggie BUST or VWhycan'tthrowapass, but they give MW some serious love and like the direction our team is headed. I was on the line to talk to Movin the Chains today but lost my signal in FAR westTexas. Still, the Texans haven't been impressive enough to get the "sleeper" reviews like the Cardinals or the Niners. Impressive might be laying it on kinda thick, but we DID start DC for 6 years, so you have to give the national media some slack. If they're dissing us in '09, then I'll kiss your ass and give you an hour to draw a crowd. NO!!!! I don't mean that like the Real Joker. That's a funny turn of phrase, not a promise.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read