Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-10-2008   #121
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rosevelt Colvin to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIS View Post
So you're assuming Colvin, at 250, will come into to play backup DE? I couldn't disagree more. First of all you are asking him to play a position he's never played. If he comes, he will most certainly play Linebacker. You can wish he played DE like an edge rushing LB all day long, doesn't mean its gonna happen. I cannot emphasize enough that he hasn't played in the 4-3 in six years, and even then he played LB. He didn't play DE in college or the pros. Please show me the press clipping, web page, quote box, or whatever that says Colvin is coming here to be a backup DE. They want him to come in and add that pass rushing ability from the LB spot - just like he did with the Pats and the Bears.

I don't doubt that he still has skills, but he failed NE's physical and was released. He's been courted for near two months by the Colts but still hasn't settled on a deal. If all he wanted was to play for a contender, he'd be back home in Indy. He wants a payday. That's why he's shopping himself. Look - he's coming off a foot injury that shelved him for the second half of last season. You think he still has that speed he had when he was in his heyday? Naw bro. He's had both a hip injury and a foot injury that caused him to miss significant time in his career. He's damaged goods. I don't want to see the Texans take that kind of risk on a 31 year old player - not for the money he's looking for. He was due over 5 mil from the Pats, I'm pretty sure he would like to see something in that ball park.

As far as the LBs with speed - All three that I mentioned have that in spades. All three are athletic enough to rush the passer if given the opportunity. All they need is their number to be called. They won't get that experience playing behind Colvin. I'd rather take my chances and mold a young player, rather than take an old dog and try to teach him a whole bag of new tricks.

Quote:
The 6'3", 254-pound Colvin was a defensive end at Purdue.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...31/ai_81789945

Quote:
The Texans are trying to add another outside pass rusher to complement Mario Williams. Colvin has played in the 3-4 and 4-3 schemes before, and he has two Super Bowl rings.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5819819.html

[quote]Moved to linebacker after playing defensive end in college, but lined up at rush end in passing situations.[/QUOTE]

http://nwe.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=8&c=1&nid=1839197
Old 06-10-2008   #122
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIS View Post
So you're assuming Colvin, at 250, will come into to play backup DE? I couldn't disagree more. First of all you are asking him to play a position he's never played.

I don't doubt that he still has skills, but he failed NE's physical and was released. He's been courted for near two months by the Colts but still hasn't settled on a deal. If all he wanted was to play for a contender, he'd be back home in Indy. He wants a payday. That's why he's shopping himself. Look - he's coming off a foot injury that shelved him for the second half of last season. You think he still has that speed he had when he was in his heyday? Naw bro. He's had both a hip injury and a foot injury that caused him to miss significant time in his career. He's damaged goods. I don't want to see the Texans take that kind of risk on a 31 year old player - not for the money he's looking for. He was due over 5 mil from the Pats, I'm pretty sure he would like to see something in that ball park.
It is nice that you think I am assuming anything while that is all you have done. Look at the quotes above, I did not assume anything I was going by information I had.

Failed a physical? Maybe I missed it but please provide me with a link to where he failed a physical, because in the NFL if you are under contract and you fail a pysical you can't be released without an injury settlement. Just like the Texans did with that Center they jst recently released. That is also why Shaun Alexander took a physical before he was released by the Seahawks. It is in the collective bargining agreement. You talk about his injuries and say he is damaged goods, you do understand that before any contract talks began he did have a complete physical do you not?

Oh and bro as far as his speed that he had in his heyday, I am sure the coaches gave him those test during the physical to see what he had left as well. You act like our GM and HC are stupid and who just sign Colvin to this multi year billion dollar contract. As far as Colvin looking for more money than he is being offered, most likely. Most vets do, but as you can tell by him not being signed yet the team has a certain money area they are offerring and they are not budging from that. So it is up to Colvin to either accept or decline, you throw it out there like the team will cave and give Colvin all this money when they are clearly not.
Old 06-10-2008   #123
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Further to my question mentioned above, should NE physical was conducted I believe a few months ago, he may be OK now to perform at least from our's or Colts' judgement from physical point of view? Or, are we still missing something? Or, NE know something that we can't find from our physical checking procedure?

Go Texans!!
yeah gthe pats always release players when they have nothing left

signed,
ty law, lawyer milloy
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #124
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91652 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Failed a physical? Maybe I missed it but please provide me with a link to where he failed a physical, because in the NFL if you are under contract and you fail a pysical you can't be released without an injury settlement.
There's been a whole bunch of talk about Colvin failing a physical, but I don't think there's a shred of credible evidence that it happened. The primary reason that Colvin was cut was due to a base salary for '08 of $5.5 Million, and a cap savings of $5.8 Million that resulted from letting him go. This also goes a long way towards answering the question of why Larry Izzo was kept when Colvin was let go. I don't know what Izzo's base salary is for '08, but in '07 it was less than $1 Million.

Oh, and I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to the day where we sign a 30-plus year old player who's had an injury or two (which is virtually every 30-plus player) who makes a positive impact for us. Maybe then folks will stop assuming the Ahman Green signing is an indicator of every veteran signing we'll ever make.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #125
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard that he failed his physical in New England too. BUT, after searching the net for any solid information, I came up empty. Everything I came across was based on reports or speculation. They were all similar to this article. Notice the word "reportedly".

Any body else have any luck? It appears to me as if the Pats used it as an excuse to cut his 5.5 million.

Quote:
Colvin Gone
The New England Patriots terminated the contract of veteran linebacker Rosevelt Colvin on Tuesday. Saddled with a $5.5 million salary and $7.6 million cap charge for a 30-year old pass rusher
Quote:
Colvin reportedly failed his year-end physical, which is what led to the roster move.
http://usc.scout.com/a.z?s=15&p=2&c=732540
Old 06-10-2008   #126
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
It is nice that you think I am assuming anything while that is all you have done. Look at the quotes above, I did not assume anything I was going by information I had.

Failed a physical? Maybe I missed it but please provide me with a link to where he failed a physical, because in the NFL if you are under contract and you fail a pysical you can't be released without an injury settlement. Just like the Texans did with that Center they jst recently released. That is also why Shaun Alexander took a physical before he was released by the Seahawks. It is in the collective bargining agreement. You talk about his injuries and say he is damaged goods, you do understand that before any contract talks began he did have a complete physical do you not?

Oh and bro as far as his speed that he had in his heyday, I am sure the coaches gave him those test during the physical to see what he had left as well. You act like our GM and HC are stupid and who just sign Colvin to this multi year billion dollar contract. As far as Colvin looking for more money than he is being offered, most likely. Most vets do, but as you can tell by him not being signed yet the team has a certain money area they are offerring and they are not budging from that. So it is up to Colvin to either accept or decline, you throw it out there like the team will cave and give Colvin all this money when they are clearly not.
Whoa, put them flames out bud. I was mistaken about Colvin's position in college. Hold up... here's one of a few articles that had me believing he was a OLB in college:

http://www.purdueexponent.org/interf...domdraft<br />

Quote:
Former Purdue linebacker Rosevelt Colvin played for Chicago from 1999 to 2002, but the New England Patriots signed him as a free agent this offseason.
Not to mention that he was listed as a OLB in the 1999 draft:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_NFL_Draft

As far as his being released after failing a physical, that's what I read at several sites. Here's a couple:
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...8/transfeb.htm
http://usc.scout.com/a.z?s=15&p=2&c=732540

Here's some further substantiation from USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...exans/home.htm
Quote:
In Colvin's last healthy season in 2006, he had 8 1/2 sacks for the Patriots. He was released by the Patriots on February 26 after a failed physical.
Now as far as thinking the brain trust of the Texans are stupid, come on man, I never said/implied that. I have the utmost faith in those two, along with their outstanding team of assistants. In Smithiak we trust, que no?

My point wasn't to question Smith/Kubiak, it was to say that we can't afford to give this guy what he wants. If you don't want to hear about Ahman Green, then how bout Tony Boselli? He was another 30 year old player that never contributed. Don't forget, he passed his exit/entry physicals too. Look, after back to back seasons with 17 players on the IR, we can ill afford to take a chance on another guy who has seen his fair share of time in the rehab room.

If he becomes a Texan, so be it. I'll cheer the mofo on louder than anyone, I'm just saying that I'm not a fan of the move if it plays out the way I think it will.

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #127
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Colvin is a tweener so debating whether he is a rush end at de or a OLB used as an edge rusher is kinda moot.....he's a pretty good edge rusher who can play in space as an olb. He's a dynamic player...if healthy.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-10-2008   #128
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Shoulda kept Jason Babin and his cheap contract!

That said, and not being a fan of this possible move, I would still be OK if they decide to go with Colvin.

I happen to think that we have a good shot at the playoffs, so if we have money, go for the best FA you think is available.

Now knowing that Spicer is a client of Rosenhaus, I'm not counting on him to be available.
And I'm not a huge fan of Hayward after seeing him huffing and puffing at times last year.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #129
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

comparing Babin to Colvin is like comparing Antwaan Peek to Jason Taylor. It doesn't matter how cheap the contract is if the player sucks.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #130
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
comparing Babin to Colvin is like comparing Antwaan Peek to Jason Taylor. It doesn't matter how cheap the contract is if the player sucks.
No comparison.

Only that one guy has always been healthy, while the other one ... NOT!

And to have a pass rushing specialist, that's all we should pay.

To land a guy like Taylor, is a different matter.
I'll go for it straight away!
Old 06-10-2008   #131
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

My understanding is Colvin had foot injury last season but should be no issue this year. He was cut as said prior posts due to $. If SMith signs him it should be for a reasonable package. I have seen nothing that indicates he is being looked at as a LB, rather a DE to help Mario. Like Vinny said, dynamic player. If healthy he could play both positions.
Old 06-10-2008   #132
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91652 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
No comparison.

Only that one guy has always been healthy, while the other one ... NOT!

And to have a pass rushing specialist, that's all we should pay.

To land a guy like Taylor, is a different matter.
I'll go for it straight away!
Since Babin has been in the league, Colvin has missed five regular season games due to injury and Babin has missed the exact same number. Colvin missed all five of those games in 2007 (Meaning he played all 16 games in '04, '05, and '06). In 2007 Babin missed 14 games due to being inactive. Seems like a pretty cut and dry issue to me.
Old 06-10-2008   #133
76Texan
Hall of Fame

My bad about the injury issue.
I just hate to see a sequel of Ahman Green with older guys, that's all.
I'm not opposed to the acquisition, only the money, and also I'd like for us to reserve the roster spot for a young player to develop.
Old 06-10-2008   #134
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
My bad about the injury issue.
I just hate to see a sequel of Ahman Green with older guys, that's all.
I'm not opposed to the acquisition, only the money, and also I'd like for us to reserve the roster spot for a young player to develop.
The thing that Smith and Kubiak look like they're doing a good job of is limiting the length of time that a bad contract can hurt you. If you look at the Green deal, it's essentially a two year deal, and while that seems like forever when you're living thru and injury plagued year (or two?), it's relatively short in the overall scheme of things. The Jacques Reeves contract was kind of eye-popping when it was first announced (relative to his perceived skill-level), but again, I think it's pretty cap friendly if a couple of years down the road they decide they need to jettison him. It's even more cap-friendly if they don't.

I've developed enough trust for the FO that I believe if they can't do something cap-sensible, they won't do it.
Old 06-10-2008   #135
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
The thing that Smith and Kubiak look like they're doing a good job of is limiting the length of time that a bad contract can hurt you. If you look at the Green deal, it's essentially a two year deal, and while that seems like forever when you're living thru and injury plagued year (or two?), it's relatively short in the overall scheme of things. The Jacques Reeves contract was kind of eye-popping when it was first announced (relative to his perceived skill-level), but again, I think it's pretty cap friendly if a couple of years down the road they decide they need to jettison him. It's even more cap-friendly if they don't.

I've developed enough trust for the FO that I believe if they can't do something cap-sensible, they won't do it.
I'm with you!
Old 06-10-2008   #136
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

The Texans need a pass rusher opposite Mario Williams. We all agree on that.

I don't think we have that pass rusher on the roster right now.

Colvin is a proven pass rusher, someone who can do so out of a three-point stance.

All we need out of Colvin is a year or two, so we can find and develop someone else to take his place.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #137
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange View Post
The Texans need a pass rusher opposite Mario Williams. We all agree on that.

Colvin is a proven pass rusher, someone who can do so out of a three-point stance.

All we need out of Colvin is a year or two, so we can find and develop someone else to take his place.
couldn't agree more
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #138
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

god, training camp can't get here soon enough!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #139
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
god, training camp can't get here soon enough!
Neither can Colvin!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #140
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=BornOrange;935458]The Texans need a pass rusher opposite Mario Williams. We all agree on that.

All we need out of Colvin is a year or two, so we can find and develop someone else to take his place.[/QUOTE]

Uh, any idea who? I do not see anyone on team for future. If you are talking about future players through draft or FA, I agree. Not to get ahead of myself but the next draft should wrap up most of our weaker areas if the last two work out as expected. Even if not, I see a DE, FS, OLB and perhaps a CB or LT depending on how those 2 spots are filled this season. We should have a very strong team going into 2009.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read