Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-07-2008   #81
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rosevelt Colvin to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I thought Thompson was brought in because he represented an upgrade in speed; not only as a pass rusher but also in coverage. What's the scoop on Colvin as far as coverage goes?
I was under the impression that Thompson was brought in because he had pass rushing skills and might even put his hand down at times. Which is supposedly the same thing I've read/heard about Colvin, except that Colvin might be quicker with the pass rush itself.

Colvin's coverage, I have no earthly clue about.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #82
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange View Post
Since Colvin is going to be used as a pass rusher, I think ND Kalu and Earl Cochran would be the ones with their job on the line.
Well, the great thing about this scenario is we could eliminate the weakest player out of : LB, DE, or DT, because of Weaver, Thompson, and Colvin's flexibility. I doubt Colvin's signing has any impact in Thompson making the team, his ability to play all three LB positions and DE still have value- along with his age, athleticism, and small cap number.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #83
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
What's Greenwood's cap number ?

They expose adibi, they are liable to lose him. I was wrong about Frye last year. Might squeeze adibi through waivers.

If they drafted Moffit with an eye for him to take Mike anderon's place on ST, that would make him practice squad eligible. Not practice squad practical. LB slots are going to be some of the hardest cuts.
http://www.inthebullseye.com/cap2008.html

Greenwood, Morlon contract through 2009

Base =$4,017,000

Guaranteed= $1,400,000

Total= $5,517,000
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #84
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Adibi gets a spot or he is lost, Moffit won't make the team but the guy was good in college so if he shows up he will be PS and the rest are obvious except Greenwood, I mean he isn't 5 million dollars good but he is still capable.
Old 06-07-2008   #85
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
You're right that McNair doesn't have a problem spending the cash on players, but I don't know if all of the owners are going to be cool with an uncapped year (I can only think of Jerry Jones and maybe Al Davis being on board with that).

I look at the salary cap and I see Anthony Weaver, and Morlon Greenwood making the most against the cap and it just makes me cry. I could see Colvin being another guy like that if they completely break down and let the dude get whatever he demands, and I don't want to see that.
Well Weaver is expensive because he has potential and he is so young. he had also shown good signs in the Ravens defense when playing but that defense is much more aggressive and was really kickin ass then. Greenwood was a bad signing period. If you go back and look at the Greenwood signing thread, you will find a lot of 'WTF?!? how much did we spend on this guy'....even Dolphins fans were coming over and saying that we overpaid greatly...just another Asserley move though...nothing new

that being said, Greenwood probably had his most productive year as a Texan last year and started to at least play somewhat near what he costs.

i agree with ya though bong. i dont want them to break the bank either because that just inflates everyones, but the cap-free year is pretty much a certainty for at least one year if not possibly abolished. They will probably institute some sort of luxury task soft cap which would please the players and appease the owners whose markets are small.
Old 06-07-2008   #86
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Is it just me or after a few players when media outlets say we're the front runner for a player and a signing is imminent they go sign another team?

For some reason every minute that goes by since LZ and Mcclain said we're most likely signing Colvin makes me think Colvin isn't coming here. If he would've we would've already signed him like we do other players that visited and immediately signed or signed the next day.
Old 06-08-2008   #87
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Is it just me or after a few players when media outlets say we're the front runner for a player and a signing is imminent they go sign another team?

For some reason every minute that goes by since LZ and Mcclain said we're most likely signing Colvin makes me think Colvin isn't coming here. If he would've we would've already signed him like we do other players that visited and immediately signed or signed the next day.
Could be another vet trying to leverage a deal with us into a better deal elsewhere on a team they think could be more of a playoff team. They then have us as the "Plan B" so to speak.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-08-2008   #88
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I have not been able to find any source that characterizes Colvin's injury as anything but "severe foot injury." I would have to now believe that in addition to him possibly wanting a "sweet deal," the nature of his previous injury must have something to do with him not being immediately scooped up by teams.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #89
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post

I've always thought that it was silly how many of you guys go into some severely indepth conversations about potential signings. Personally, I'd love to have Colvin on the team but I simply don't care about him. He's not a Houston Texan so until he becomes one... I'll just reserve the potential insight until then.

For what it's worth, I haven't heard anything about us being the 'front runner' in the Colvin sweepstakes at this time. I can't think that he would be a bad addition to our team in any way whatsoever.

Despite Greenwood's inflated contract, I don't believe that he's really keeping Rick Smith from doing his job effectively. Morlon Greenwood probably doesn't deserve the contract that he got but he's definitely playing some active football and is not sitting on the bench earning a fat paycheck. He's actually earning it. Greenwood is what I'd consider a 'safe' football player. He goes for the safe play. That's okay, guys. It really is. Our linebackers can't be going for the big play until they know that they can count on our secondary to pick up the slack and Morlon is the perfect player for this type of football.

It's time for a Rosevelt Colvin/Xavier Adibi type of player though. I'm ready for the big play but I like having the safe football player on our team.
Old 06-08-2008   #90
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I've always thought that it was silly how many of you guys go into some severely indepth conversations about potential signings. Personally, I'd love to have Colvin on the team but I simply don't care about him. He's not a Houston Texan so until he becomes one... I'll just reserve the potential insight until then.

For what it's worth, I haven't heard anything about us being the 'front runner' in the Colvin sweepstakes at this time. I can't think that he would be a bad addition to our team in any way whatsoever.

Despite Greenwood's inflated contract, I don't believe that he's really keeping Rick Smith from doing his job effectively. Morlon Greenwood probably doesn't deserve the contract that he got but he's definitely playing some active football and is not sitting on the bench earning a fat paycheck. He's actually earning it. Greenwood is what I'd consider a 'safe' football player. He goes for the safe play. That's okay, guys. It really is. Our linebackers can't be going for the big play until they know that they can count on our secondary to pick up the slack and Morlon is the perfect player for this type of football.

It's time for a Rosevelt Colvin/Xavier Adibi type of player though. I'm ready for the big play but I like having the safe football player on our team.
If Colvin signs than I doubt that Greenwood would be the first on the chopping block for the reasons you stated. I think the big question is can Colvin play DE and still successfuly get to the quaterback. If so than I think Weaver is gone.
Old 06-08-2008   #91
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
If Colvin signs than I doubt that Greenwood would be the first on the chopping block for the reasons you stated. I think the big question is can Colvin play DE and still successfuly get to the quaterback. If so than I think Weaver is gone.
Weaver's not going anywhere. Colvin signing puts pressure on the backend of the LB and DL rotation: Maddox, Buhlman, Kalu, Cochran, Bentley, etc... not the likely starter. Weaver would cost more to cut than to keep this year.
Old 06-08-2008   #92
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

In terms of Weaver or Greenwood going anywhere, it seems pretty simple to me. Both of them were starters in 2007, and as of now, it appears both of them are starters in 2008 (I realize this could change, but that's the way it appears now).

The fact they are starters would indicate the coaches feel that they're better than any of the backups/rotation players. Unless you have a cap problem (which I do not believe the addition of Colvin or any other LB/DE we're likely to add would create), you cut the players you think are the least valuable, not those you've designated as starters.

Neither Greenwood or Weaver are going anywhere in '08.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #93
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Weaver's not going anywhere. Colvin signing puts pressure on the backend of the LB and DL rotation: Maddox, Buhlman, Kalu, Cochran, Bentley, etc... not the likely starter. Weaver would cost more to cut than to keep this year.
Yep. Neither Maddox, Kalu or Cochran are in any danger, if I know Kubiak (and I don't really).
Old 06-08-2008   #94
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Quote:
Weaver is set to make, an estimated 6.2 million this year and 6.2 again next year with 2.7 of that guaranteed each year. Now Colvin will likely bring a price tag worth noting and the next highest paid guy in your list is Bentley with 1.25 with 600k guaranteed. This will become a financial question and saving 3.5 million a year will look a hell of a lot better than 650k.

Not to mention, that on HoustonTexans.com it was even brought up, in a news article about him regaining form, that during the offseason Smith had made it a priority to upgrade the pass rush although nobody was signed. Add to that that he was outsacked 3-1 by Kalu last year and has a career high of 5 sacks in a season.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4352
Old 06-08-2008   #95
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Weaver is set to make, an estimated 6.2 million this year and 6.2 again next year with 2.7 of that guaranteed each year. Now Colvin will likely bring a price tag worth noting and the next highest paid guy in your list is Bentley with 1.25 with 600k guaranteed. This will become a financial question and saving 3.5 million a year will look a hell of a lot better than 650k.

Not to mention, that on HoustonTexans.com it was even brought up, in a news article about him regaining form, that during the offseason Smith had made it a priority to upgrade the pass rush although nobody was signed. Add to that that he was outsacked 3-1 by Kalu last year and has a career high of 5 sacks in a season.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4352

Weaver, however, can also slide into DT. In addition, when you cut a player you free yourself of his salary but his entire bonus on the backend is accelerated into one season, or split into a second (without his services)... They aren't going to do that. Cutting Weaver in no way helps them sign or pay for Colvin in terms of the salary cap.
Old 06-08-2008   #96
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

With the insurgence of Bulman and Okoye, and the new guy Okam, I think maybe Maddox, Bentley or Cochran will have alot tougher time making the team. One of them may not even make the 80 man roster. But who knows.
Old 06-08-2008   #97
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Assuming that signing Colvin doesn't put us in jeopardy of exceeding the cap (Which we have a $9 Million-plus margin on right now), why would the Texans cut a starting DE for someone who most believe will be a part-time pass rush specialist?
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #98
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not so sure that Colvin wouldn't be a starter if he signs here. He was injured for the last 5 games and the playoffs last year, but the games he played he started (except for one).

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #99
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Rotoworld speculates that Colvin would sign with the Texans.
http://rotoworld.com/content/playerp...rt=NFL&id=1129

I could see him playing DE or LB for our team. He would be an upgrade over our current WLB's and LDE.

Lets go Colvin.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #100
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Weaver, however, can also slide into DT. In addition, when you cut a player you free yourself of his salary but his entire bonus on the backend is accelerated into one season, or split into a second (without his services)... They aren't going to do that. Cutting Weaver in no way helps them sign or pay for Colvin in terms of the salary cap.
Not a big fan of Weaver moving inside. I don't think he did it this past year because he really wanted to nor did he look great much less effective. I also think our backups at DT this year look better then sliding him inside anyway.

I think this is Weaver's swan song this year unless he has some kind of year.

I'm not sure on Colvin signing here but one thing I'd like if he did is he might bring an attitude that makes this defense turn the proverbial corner. He's played in big games and won big games. There isn't a guy on this team on either side of the ball in the NFL that has done either.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read