Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-06-2008   #61
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Rosevelt Colvin to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Yeah - if joining the best team was his #1 interest, he would have signed with the Colts last month, assuming they made him an offer.
He's got his two rings. Not saying that he wouldn't want another, but I get the feeling that he's looking for the sweetest deal possible to end his career.

Aside from the Colts/Texans, Colvin reportedly has potential suitors in the Browns and the Jets. He played under both Crennel and Mangini when they were defensive coordinators under Belichick.

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #62
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIS View Post
He's got his two rings. Not saying that he wouldn't want another, but I get the feeling that he's looking for the sweetest deal possible to end his career.

Aside from the Colts/Texans, Colvin reportedly has potential suitors in the Browns and the Jets. He played under both Crennel and Mangini when they were defensive coordinators under Belichick.
Yeah, that's kind of what bothers me... he has a NFL connection in some way to all the teams, except Houston. (I don't count the Rick Smith/Purdue thing - that's kind of a stretch).

Plus - if he's looking for the sweetest deal - there's an even less likely chance we'll get him than if he's looking for the best winning situation.

You would think another big factor would be playing time. I don't see him getting on the field as much with the Colts as he could with the other teams mentioned... so that might work in our favor.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #63
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
You would think another big factor would be playing time. I don't see him getting on the field as much with the Colts as he could with the other teams mentioned... so that might work in our favor.
Normally I would think that a player would try to get as much playing time because of the money involved. Better playing time = better stats = better leverage come contract time. But seeing how Rosevelt is coming off an injury and looking to land somewhere that will most likely be his last stop, I think he'll go for the most cash - regardless of playing time. But that's just my two cents.

Now he could be an ego maniac who demands significant minutes, and if that's the case, it blows my take out of the water...

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #64
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we can offer him the PT and money. I also think that Smith isn't going to open the vault for this guy either, especially with the possibility of a Hayward or Spicer being available to us.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #65
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, that's kind of what bothers me... he has a NFL connection in some way to all the teams, except Houston. (I don't count the Rick Smith/Purdue thing - that's kind of a stretch).

Plus - if he's looking for the sweetest deal - there's an even less likely chance we'll get him than if he's looking for the best winning situation.

I don't know, there's sort of a lifetime bond formed with College friends/acquaintances. Especially if you were to get involved with a fraternity.
Old 06-06-2008   #66
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Bob McNair---------> Dunta Robinson------> Fred Bennett-------> USC Gamecocks.
Old 06-06-2008   #67
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I don't know, there's sort of a lifetime bond formed with College friends/acquaintances. Especially if you were to get involved with a fraternity.
That's a fair point - but Rick Smith isn't a coach. It's not the same as having a former mentor/coach like Mangini or Crennel right there with you on the field.

Despite all that though - I would think Indy would still be most attractive to him... it's his hometown and they're by far the best team in the running.

I wonder what kind of guaranteed money he's looking for. That's got to be the sticking point.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Sponsored links
Old 06-06-2008   #68
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's a fair point - but Rick Smith isn't a coach. It's not the same as having a former mentor/coach like Mangini or Crennel right there with you on the field.

Despite all that though - I would think Indy would still be most attractive to him... it's his hometown and they're by far the best team in the running.

I wonder what kind of guaranteed money he's looking for. That's got to be the sticking point.
I hear ya, and don't necessarily disagree with you.

I agree. Considering he's from Indy.

I assume it's more than what teams are offering him. Like someone said earlier, I think he's looking to cash out before retirement. IMO, the Texans wouldn't give him more than a 2 year contract.
Old 06-07-2008   #69
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Any news on R. Colvin?
Old 06-07-2008   #70
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

rotoworld

Quote:
ESPN's John Clayton believes the Texans have the best chance of landing free agent LB Roosevelt Colvin.
Clayton says the Colts have assembled enough pass rushers that they don't need him rigt now. Colvin would have a better chance for playing time in Houston where their linebackers struggle to rush the passer.

Just do it like Michael Jordan!

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #71
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Any news on R. Colvin?
I suppose if he's still in Houston, then no news is good news.

EDIT: ^^^^^Or that could be good as well. Yesterday "Pancakes" McClain was saying on 610 that he thinks the deal will end up getting done with Colvin coming to Houston.

While I like the idea of an edge rushing linebacker, we better not break the bank for him.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #72
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 193947 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If Colvin makes roster, who gets cut?
How about a real answer to the man's question. No more - I hate Weaver (or whoever) so kick him out. Realistically, which LB hits the road if Colvin signs here? Here's the HT.com roster listing of LBs.
52...Adibi, Xavier* (may get squirreled away on IR)
57...Bentley, Kevin (may make it as S/T'er)
53...Coley, Kevis
54...Diles, Zac
56...Greenwood, Morlon <--- Shantee Orr was dumped last year, could it be Greenwood's time this year?
60...Moffitt, Ben*
61...Richardson, Marcus*
59...Ryans, DeMeco
51...Thompson, Chaun
* indicates rookie

Assuming we keep six, who stays and who goes? I think Greenwood may be sweating this signing.
What say you?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #73
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
How about a real answer to the man's question. No more - I hate Weaver (or whoever) so kick him out. Realistically, which LB hits the road if Colvin signs here? Here's the HT.com roster listing of LBs.
52...Adibi, Xavier* (may get squirreled away on IR)
57...Bentley, Kevin (may make it as S/T'er)
53...Coley, Kevis
54...Diles, Zac
56...Greenwood, Morlon <--- Shantee Orr was dumped last year, could it be Greenwood's time this year?
60...Moffitt, Ben*
61...Richardson, Marcus*
59...Ryans, DeMeco
51...Thompson, Chaun
* indicates rookie

Assuming we keep six, who stays and who goes? I think Greenwood may be sweating this signing.
What say you?
I really think if we keep 6 and Colvin has to be one of them then I think it goes Greenwood, Ryans, Diles, Colvin, Thompson, Adibi/Moffit and whoever doesn't do as well on the practice field out of the last two will go to IR.

EDIT: After thinking about this for about 3 minutes I realize that Thompson and Colvin are probably interchangeable and Thompson is probably sweating this signing more than anybody. Still, linebackers who can rush the passer are a commodity and I'm sticking to my guns here.
Old 06-07-2008   #74
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Since Colvin is going to be used as a pass rusher, I think ND Kalu and Earl Cochran would be the ones with their job on the line.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #75
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

What's Greenwood's cap number ?

They expose adibi, they are liable to lose him. I was wrong about Frye last year. Might squeeze adibi through waivers.

If they drafted Moffit with an eye for him to take Mike anderon's place on ST, that would make him practice squad eligible. Not practice squad practical. LB slots are going to be some of the hardest cuts.
Old 06-07-2008   #76
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Not sure exactly - but Greenwood's got one of the biggest - if not the biggest - cap number on the team. I think the only guy who might have a bigger one (are you sitting down?) is Anthony Weaver.

There's no way Adibi would clear wavers. He's either on the roster, or they'll fake him on to the IR.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 06-07-2008   #77
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I suppose if he's still in Houston, then no news is good news.

EDIT: ^^^^^Or that could be good as well. Yesterday "Pancakes" McClain was saying on 610 that he thinks the deal will end up getting done with Colvin coming to Houston.

While I like the idea of an edge rushing linebacker, we better not break the bank for him.
don't worry about breaking the bank. mcnair has plenty of money and the salary cap is a joke now with the uncapped year and with a possibility of no more salary cap with the next collective bargaining agreement.

if McNair can spend a hundred million dollars on losers like Carr and no one complained about it, why not spend a few million on a quality player like Colvin? I would rather get someone who can actually play than some garbage like we have been given in the past in FA.

Colvin's recent injuries do worry me though and I do agree that we shouldnt overpay but the bottom line is we are going to have to pay because there is a demand out there for quality players.
Old 06-07-2008   #78
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
don't worry about breaking the bank. mcnair has plenty of money and the salary cap is a joke now with the uncapped year and with a possibility of no more salary cap with the next collective bargaining agreement.

if McNair can spend a hundred million dollars on losers like Carr and no one complained about it, why not spend a few million on a quality player like Colvin? I would rather get someone who can actually play than some garbage like we have been given in the past in FA.
You're right that McNair doesn't have a problem spending the cash on players, but I don't know if all of the owners are going to be cool with an uncapped year (I can only think of Jerry Jones and maybe Al Davis being on board with that).

I look at the salary cap and I see Anthony Weaver, and Morlon Greenwood making the most against the cap and it just makes me cry. I could see Colvin being another guy like that if they completely break down and let the dude get whatever he demands, and I don't want to see that.
Old 06-07-2008   #79
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans, if they obtain Colvin, may very well alternate his assignments from OLB to DE (book end to Mario). I can remember the Pats using him in some defensive sets as a DE..........and he didn't look too shabby.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #80
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 193947 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I really think if we keep 6 and Colvin has to be one of them then I think it goes Greenwood, Ryans, Diles, Colvin, Thompson, Adibi/Moffit and whoever doesn't do as well on the practice field out of the last two will go to IR.

EDIT: After thinking about this for about 3 minutes I realize that Thompson and Colvin are probably interchangeable and Thompson is probably sweating this signing more than anybody. Still, linebackers who can rush the passer are a commodity and I'm sticking to my guns here.
I thought Thompson was brought in because he represented an upgrade in speed; not only as a pass rusher but also in coverage. What's the scoop on Colvin as far as coverage goes?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read