Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-04-2008   #21
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rosevelt Colvin to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What about the huge hit to the cap?
I just want the guy gone. I want somebody that has a little pep in their step and can actually get to the QB opposite Mario.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #22
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, we're not going to cut Weaver. I think he should get a handful of games to prove he can still hack it. I've seen Kubiak say that Weaver was fighting through injury last year, but now he's healthy. That's what they said about Mario in his rookie year, too - but who knows if it's also true about Weaver.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #23
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Yeah, we're not going to cut Weaver. I think he should get a handful of games to prove he can still hack it. I've seen Kubiak say that Weaver was fighting through injury last year, but now he's healthy. That's what they said about Mario in his rookie year, too - but who knows if it's also true about Weaver.
I just don't think Weaver fits this system, he's more of a 3-4 end and the most sacks he ever had in a season was 5........which was 5 seasons ago. He also only has 3 sacks over his last 3 seasons, he never really proved he could hack it even before he was injured.........I'm just ready to move on, Houston needs to find a DE that atleast fits their system, not a undersized DT stuck out at the end position.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 06-04-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2008   #24
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

They can't afford to cut Weaver. If he can walk on to the field he'll be playing this year. I read somewhere that if we cut him on June 1st they would have faced a $3.8 million dollar cap hit.

We'd be back to dead cap money like for Todd Wade and Robaire Smith. Besides I think were still paying for Boselli!!!!!
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #25
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I couldn't find the exact link, but here is a copy of what I had printed out for my review awhile back. (I include it with credit in entirety for that reason):

Quote:
Courting Colvin
March 8, 2003

By Carter Toole

HoustonTexans.com

Sure, Rosevelt Colvin is about to get a nice, fat raise. But considering his schedule the past week, here's hoping Colvin's agent has also invested in a frequent-flyer program for the former Bears linebacker.

"The traveling is wearing on me," Colvin said. "First I went to New York, then I went to Detroit. I flew to Arizona, then went back home for a day and then flew to Jacksonville before coming here."

Here is Houston, where Colvin is pretty sure he's wrapped up his whirlwind tour. He visited the Texans at Reliant Stadium Saturday, taking in the club's facilities and meeting with Texans head coach Dom Capers.

The Texans have plenty of company in trying to secure the services of Colvin, considered by many to be the top free agent on the market, regardless of position. Colvin has racked up 10 1/2 sacks in each of the past two seasons and has 26 sacks through his first four seasons.

Colvin is ferocious and consistent. He set a Bears record in 2002 by securing a sack in eight consecutive regular season games. And Colvin is the first Bears linebacker to crack the double-digit mark in sacks since Otis Wilson in 1985 -- the year Chicago won its lone Super Bowl.

Capers and his 3-4 defense have historically been a perfect fit for linebackers who like to crash the pocket.

"The 3-4 definitely suits who I am and what I can do," Colvin said. "I played defensive end in college and made the conversion to linebacker. But my heart is rushing the passer, I want to get to the passer all the time. The Texans feel like I can help them out."

Last season at this time, Texans linebacker Kailee Wong seemed destined for Cleveland. But Wong, who played defensive end at Stanford before converting to linebacker for the Vikings, relished the opportunity Capers offered him to become an off-the-edge pass rusher.

Colvin, who played defensive end at Purdue, also seems intrigued by the outside linebacker slot in the 3-4. And he already sees a solid defensive unit in place.

"I know they lost Jeff Posey as their right outside linebacker," Colvin said. "I would probably come in and try to fill that void. They have a lot of talent in place -- good corners, good safeties, the linebacker crew is already excellent and the three guys they've got in front of them are excellent, too.

"I don't think I'd be the answer here but just a piece of the puzzle."

Colvin saw his share of highs and lows in Chicago. The Bears went 13-3 in 2001 and won their first division title in 12 years. But they lost at home to Philadelphia in the divisional playoffs and then plummeted to 4-12 last season. Colvin is looking to latch onto a team that is on the rise and that he can help reach the summit.

"Being with the Bears for four years and going through my different experiences there, I just want an organization that wants me," Colvin said. "If I want to be in a city, I want the organization to want me there, too. I'm looking for a team that's going in the right direction. I want to win as many games as possible and ultimately win that Super Bowl."

What next? Colvin just wants to get and make a decision.

"All my visits have been good, I've enjoyed everyone I've met," he said. "As soon as I'm able to sit down with my agent and figure out what the best situation is for me. I want to weigh my options and make sure where I'm going is where I want to be."

The Texans also entertained former Titans offensive lineman Aaron Graham Saturday. Graham handled Tennessee's long-snapping duties last season, a role he also served in Oakland in 2001. Graham started 41 games over his first three seasons
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #26
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I just don't think Weaver fits this system, he's more of a 3-4 end and the most sacks he ever had in a season was 5........which was 5 seasons ago. He also only has 3 sacks over his last 3 seasons, he never really proved he could hack it even before he was injured.........I'm just ready to move on, Houston needs to find a DE that atleast fits their system, not a undersized DT stuck out at the end position.
Weaver fits the system perfectly at DE if it's 3rd down and one or even on 1st and 10... All we need is a guy to relieve him on 3rd and 8 or 2nd and 15. IF Weaver was gone, we'd have Cochran starting. In that case, we'd still be looking for the situational speed rusher.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #27
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Weaver fits the system perfectly at DE if it's 3rd down and one or even on 1st and 10... All we need is a guy to relieve him on 3rd and 8 or 2nd and 15. IF Weaver was gone, we'd have Cochran starting. In that case, we'd still be looking for the situational speed rusher.
Anthony Weaver is not really a 4-3 end, he doesn't fit this system perfectly...

I don't really care who starts (BTW, for the amount of snaps Cochran played......he produced a hellava lot more than Anthony Weaver) I just want the Texans to start looking for that other guy, a prototypical 4-3 end to compliment Mario, that is all......I don't like Anthony Weaver.

- Edmund Burke
Sponsored links
Old 06-04-2008   #28
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Anthony Weaver is not really a 4-3 end, he doesn't fit this system perfectly...

I don't really care who starts (BTW, for the amount of snaps Cochran played......he produced a hellava lot more than Anthony Weaver) I just want the Texans to start looking for that other guy, a prototypical 4-3 end to compliment Mario, that is all......I don't like Anthony Weaver.
The team is looking, if they weren't they would not bring in a guy like Colvin.
Old 06-04-2008   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

My crystal ball says Cochran will be the starter with Weaver on bench despite his salary.
Old 06-04-2008   #30
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I was wondering if he would provide another pass rusher to go against in practice for Duane Brown. A veteran pass rusher could help in that department as well as helping hone Mario's skills would make him an even better acquisition.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #31
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Colvin will definitely be an upgrade if we can sign him. If I remember correctly he was considered an elite level outside linebacker when he was with the Bears. His move to the Patriots was plagued with injuries but he produced whenever he was on the field for them. I don't think he's a fulltime player anymore but if we can get him 15-20 plays a game and to get him to rush the qb I think it will be a good investment.
Old 06-04-2008   #32
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Season...........Total games played

I'd hardly consider him injury 'plagued'. He was fine for three years until last season's foot injury. These are Rotoworld's stats, so I assume they're accurate.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 06-04-2008   #33
Polo

Folks are being too hard on Weaver...He's not a bad ball player...

He's just not what we need opposite Mario...

I expect Weaver to have a better season now that he's healthy...
Old 06-04-2008   #34
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we pay Colvin 5.5M with that bad wheel. If he would come in for an incentive laden contract, he might be a suspect, but I doubt if he wants to play for the Texans. If Berry becomes available, I would rather we go after him.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #35
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems SmithGM has recruited him before.

Quote:
(on if he and Colvin talked about both playing for Purdue) “You know, I recruited Roosevelt Colvin out of high school. He was at Broad Ripple High School in Indianapolis and I was at Purdue at the time and I was successful in convincing him to come to Purdue. And he had a pretty good career.”

(on if the same tactics will work with the Texans) “We don’t pay as much!”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4355
Old 06-04-2008   #36
DiehardChris
You betcha!

According to 610, he has taken a physical with the Texans today... so at least we know we're not totally out of the running.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 06-04-2008   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Rotoworld reports that he passed a physical with the Colts last month (late May?)

I'm iffy about this one.
Unless he signs an incentive-laden contract, I'd rather the Texans look at other options.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #38
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Rotoworld reports that he passed a physical with the Colts last month (late May?)

I'm iffy about this one.
Unless he signs an incentive-laden contract, I'd rather the Texans look at other options.
And what would those options be? Not being sarcastic, but it does not look like there is much out there.
Old 06-04-2008   #39
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Yeah, like I said - it just means we're not out of the running. He could have showed up, not liked what he heard, and just walked out without the physical.

Or, hell, I don't know - maybe the first thing they do upon a visit is a physical.

But anyway, yeah - I'm with you. You just can't pay too much for this guy... but if the price is right, I like it a lot.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 06-04-2008   #40
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

It looks to me like he might be asking more than what teams are willing to offer.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read