Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-18-2008   #281
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rosevelt Colvin Signed

sitting back for 36 more days!!!!! ugh!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #282
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

by the way. i understand very little about how the contracts work. please help... so if he's only guaranteed 1mil, that means that if he is hurt and doesn't do anything at all over the first two years he'll only cost us $1,688,000 (the guarantee plus the roster bonus')? and would cost nothing basically to cut him? all the other money is for things like: games played, sacks, tackles etc..? so these guys like matt ryan that are getting 70mil contracts with 35mil guaranteed, the other 35mil is all for incentives?

if so, that's pretty great for us.
Old 06-18-2008   #283
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

I've officially changed my tune - that is an amazing deal considering there that there is only a total of 1 milion in guarantees over three seasons.

That's peanuts - I'm very happy about this deal. Goes to show that Rick Smith learned a thing or two from the Green signing.

Tremendous job by Rick Smith.

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #284
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

That contract is another victory for Chris Olsen imo.
Old 06-18-2008   #285
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
The point of view I take is that you have to consider what cap hell this team was in when they inherited it. It was a mess.
No it wasn't.

-Signed-

Todd Wade
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #286
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Chris Olsen is the man, probably one of the smartest hires by McNair and Smith so far. Great terms on the contract.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #287
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks RJ. I always seem to forget his name (senior moments), but I know he is probably the main man for getting us out of "cap hell." As bad as McNair screwed up in hiring C&C, which I chalk up to being a "rookie mistake," he sure has hit a home run with the hiring of Kubes, Smith, and Olsen. Those 3 have really turned this ship around IMO. And now, it's on to the Playoffs and Superbowl!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-18-2008   #288
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I think it was Dan Ferens who held Olsen's role in the C X 3 era. That was when we had contracts like Greenwood, Wade, Robaire, and I think he was still around for the Weaver signing but not 100% sure.

Now that Chris Olsen is on board we're seeing less of those type signings and more signings like this, which is the main reason we're going from pretenders to contenders imo.
Old 06-18-2008   #289
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

610 interview w Colvin in case you havent heard it yet:
http://www.sportsradio610.com/Morning-Show/151256

Nothing especially insightful but since its like a million years it seems till TC starts... we have to milk this last move as much as we can.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #290
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak must be expert salesmen because I'm still shocked that we were able to sign him. He's from the Indianapolis area. He lives there in the offseason and the Colts were pursuing him. Maybe he thought the Colts were a bad fit. When I first read that the Colts were chasing after him I figured we were going to overpay for the guy since it seemed as if he were more interested in coming to Houston. But after looking at the deal, it seems extremely fair.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #291
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak must be expert salesmen because I'm still shocked that we were able to sign him. He's from the Indianapolis area. He lives there in the offseason and the Colts were pursuing him. Maybe he thought the Colts were a bad fit. When I first read that the Colts were chasing after him I figured we were going to overpay for the guy since it seemed as if he were more interested in coming to Houston. But after looking at the deal, it seems extremely fair.
What was the deal??

But, I think he plainly stated the Colts didn't want to offer him a multi-year deal, and we did.

I don't know that we did, but that's what I was led to believe.
Old 06-18-2008   #292
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What was the deal??

But, I think he plainly stated the Colts didn't want to offer him a multi-year deal, and we did.

I don't know that we did, but that's what I was led to believe.
Go read post #273 of this thread (Immediately preceding page).
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #293
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

If those contract numbers are true, it tells me the market for his services wasn't all that and no other team was offering more than a one year deal. I was going to post something last night about this flood of enthusiasm I'm seeing triggering Wilber Marshall deep in the synapses - but I thought I'd leave it alone. I hope he stays healthy and plays well because if he does, the defense will certainly benefit. If he doesn't, it's not a big financial commitment at least. It's a good signing but I'm not getting all googly over it until maybe late in the season when he blindsides Vince or Peyton or Garrard and the ball flies up in the air and DeMeco picks it off and runs it back for an in-your-face, signature moment TD.

Considering the odd amounts on the roster bonuses, he may be getting the 45 Man Active Roster Bonus similar to what's in Ahman Green's contract - meaning (if that's the case) the bonus is earned week-to week for every game that he's on the 45. The bonus in that case is 1/17th (or some fraction of the total) paid out like a game check. The advantage of that type of roster bonus is that it only counts on the cap if earned - instead of the type that's payable on a specific date in a lump sum where it all counts against the cap that year. Since roster bonuses can't be prorated, that's a nice hedge against injury.

Last edited by aj.; 06-18-2008 at 07:44 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #294
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

The deal tells me that Colvin is pretty confident he can stay healthy and put in many quality snaps.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #295
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Good health and many quality snaps aren't guarantees for young players much less 10 year vets. He took the best deal in terms of $$$ and potential $$$ and I don't blame him because it will probably be his last. The fact is that he's on the backside, 10th year and 31 yrs old before the season starts, and all I hope is that we get a couple decent years ... kind of like what I hoped we'd get out of Ahman Green when the Texans signed him. Don't get me wrong, I like the signing, including the 'seasoned vet with rings' influence around some of our young guys aspect, but this isn't a young Julius Peppers or Dwight Freeney. It isn't even a young Rosevelt Colvin.

Last edited by aj.; 06-18-2008 at 09:08 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #296
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

It's all pretty much been said, but I will add that I am stoked because this signing will make it so much harder for the opposing OC to gamplan for our defense. Rosey can literally come at ya from almost anywhere. Plus he will be a good example for the younger players resolve and determination to succeed.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #297
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
It's all pretty much been said, but I will add that I am stoked because this signing will make it so much harder for the opposing OC to gamplan for our defense. Rosey can literally come at ya from almost anywhere. Plus he will be a good example for the younger players resolve and determination to succeed.
I'm with aj on this one. For $8 million, we fans may be the only ones who think Rosey has some of that left. OC, may not give him a second thought, until he proves that they should start thinking about him.
Old 06-18-2008   #298
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Good health and many quality snaps aren't guarantees for young players much less 10 year vets. He took the best deal in terms of $$$ and potential $$$ and I don't blame him because it will probably be his last. The fact is that he's on the backside, 10th year and 31 yrs old before the season starts, and all I hope is that we get a couple decent years ... kind of like what I hoped we'd get out of Ahman Green when the Texans signed him. Don't get me wrong, I like the signing, including the 'seasoned vet with rings' influence around some of our young guys aspect, but this isn't a young Julius Peppers or Dwight Freeney. It isn't even a young Rosevelt Colvin.
no argument
well, except that neither Peppers nor Freeney are what they used to be either.
but I see your point - he's a notch down from them
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #299
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
by the way. i understand very little about how the contracts work. please help... so if he's only guaranteed 1mil, that means that if he is hurt and doesn't do anything at all over the first two years he'll only cost us $1,688,000 (the guarantee plus the roster bonus')? and would cost nothing basically to cut him? all the other money is for things like: games played, sacks, tackles etc..? so these guys like matt ryan that are getting 70mil contracts with 35mil guaranteed, the other 35mil is all for incentives?
The absolute minimum we're committed to is $1 mill ($500K each of the first two years). If we cut him in training camp, we have to pay him a mill. If he makes the team, he's due a roster bonus. If he meets certain incentives, it goes up more. If he sticks around for the third year, it will cost us $3.5 mill that final year. I can't tell you how it works out cap-wise, if he is cut at what time, etc., but I know $1.688 mill is not the minimum - it's only a mill.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #300
barrett
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I didn't know anything about this Olsen fellow and what exactly is his job in the Texans camp as director of football admin was so I looked it up for those of us who didn't know:

Quote:
Chris Olsen begins his second season with the Texans as the Director of Football Administration. He spent the previous 13 years working at the NFL league office in New York. Olsen’s primary responsibility with the Texans is to work closely with general manager Rick Smith on negotiating player contracts and managing the salary cap.

Olsen served as the manager of labor operations with the NFL Management Council from 1999-2006. He was responsible for reviewing and analyzing player contracts to ensure teams were in compliance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and salary cap....
www.houstontexans.com

Last edited by barrett; 06-19-2008 at 11:03 AM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read