Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-17-2008   #261
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rosevelt Colvin to sign with Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Sophmore slumps only happen when guys have unbelievable years as rookies, meaning it's sort of unlikely that they will duplicate what they did as rookies their 2nd years. At least that's what i take them as.

Well, let's look at the 2006 draft class and see how they did under this staff their second season:

1. Mario
2. Demeco
3. Winston
4. ODaniels

Wali Lundy was cut before the season, CTaylor was injured in training camp...

I don't see a lot of evidence to suggest that Bennett will regress this season.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #262
TigerV1
All Pro

Rep Power: 91 TigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What am I supposed to do with this custom Michael Turner jersey, now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't think we'll see Rose Colvin taking Weaver off the OL. even in pass rushing situations, we'll probably see Kalu, or Cochran in the game, and Colvin at the SAM.

What I'd like to see, is him line up behind Mario on passing downs, then just before the snap, Mario moves over, and stands up, and Colvin steps up, and puts his hand down.
I'd LOVE to see that.
Old 06-17-2008   #263
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 23275 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What am I supposed to do with this custom Michael Turner jersey, now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerV1 View Post
I'd LOVE to see that.

Too complicated for our Def. Co.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #264
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Can't find link but I thought I read that when Colvin comes in to play DE, Weaver would slide to DT. I can't see Weaver beating out TJ and therefore my post. Anyone else see that article please link.
Replace the word would with could. I don't see that happening though. When he was moved inside last year he didn't look so well and wasn't matched up well. We might as well start another let's move Dunta to FS thread.

From the interview it didn't sound like to me, at least the impression I got hearing him talk, that he isn't coming to play Specifically DE. He kept repeating about his versatility as a player so I am imagining he'll see time at LB and DE.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #265
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rosevelt Colvin Signed

So does anybody have any idea on what this guy's contract is.......it's been well over 24 hours since we signed him.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 06-17-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #266
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

This is from one of my favo NFL writers(a very left brain writer):

Quote:
The Texans' signing of Rosevelt Colvin has given them another veteran presence on defense. None of the team's projected starters on defense are 30 years old (linebacker Morlon Greenwood is close, but none of the others are even 29). For comparison, the Patriots and Redskins each have five projected defensive starters in their 30s.

Colvin, who turns 31 in September, becomes one of only four defensive players on the team in his 30s (Jeff Zgonina 38, Nick Ferguson 33.5, Ndukwe Kalu 32.8). The Texans' projected starters on defense average 25.3 years old. That number is lowest in the league based on my preliminary projections and more than two years younger than the league average.
Of course, Mario, Ryans, Amobi make that number scoot down a bit, but still, this is a good point to make.
Old 06-17-2008   #267
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
This is from one of my favo NFL writers(a very left brain writer):

Of course, Mario, Ryans, Amobi make that number scoot down a bit, but still, this is a good point to make.
A similar point was made last night on NFLN. I think it was Jamie Dukes that said the addition of Colvin was a good one in that the Texans (with too young of leadership defensively) probably settled for more moral victories than they should have. He went on to say that with Colvin being a leader, he can show the young guys not to settle for anything less than wins (and that meant wins in the playoffs and Super Bowl).

They meant it as no knock against Meco or anyone else, just that the addition should produce even more positive results. Like anything else though, we shall see....
Old 06-17-2008   #268
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
So does anybody have any idea on what this guy's contract is.......it's been well over 24 hours since we signed him.
yeah, i can't believe we still don't know the particulars... it's bothering me.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #269
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
Ditto.

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #270
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
If he stays healthy, the contract was worth it. We catch the colts. If he doesn't
if he is Wilbur Marshall, will be choking on the cap number for awhile. He's not Jarred Allen . Nor did he cost us a first and third round pick. Smith did the best he could under the circumstance. and I believe there is a reason we don't know the cap number. Don't wanna see a bunch of belly aching come October if he gets dinged after all the boo-whooing that was done after the draft because they didn't pick a day two DE.
Old 06-18-2008   #271
Lucky

Rep Power: 184792 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

From McClain's blog on the Chronic's website:

Quote:
John -

If its "not much money", what are the terms of the contract? What do you know?

{I'll find out the contract soon. This one has been locked down, but I'll find out eventually, once it gets to the league. I'm hearing they got him very cheap with clauses that pay him more if he stays healthy and produces. Be patient. I'm trying to enjoy a little off time since I'm actually on vacation. -- JOHN}
The Texans treat McClain like a mushroom. My guess is Colvin's agent wanted to keep the contract numbers quiet.
Old 06-18-2008   #272
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Can't find link but I thought I read that when Colvin comes in to play DE, Weaver would slide to DT. I can't see Weaver beating out TJ and therefore my post. Anyone else see that article please link.
If Weaver were to slide inside it would be to the 3-Technique DT spot which is usually occupied by Okoye not TJ. I read something about that on the Texans website but it was long before they even talked publicly about signing Colvin.
Old 06-18-2008   #273
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Contract Details from McClains blog: http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/06/w..._the_te_1.html

Quote:
Colvin signed a three-year contract that is very fair for him if he stays healthy and produces but also is very fair for the Texans if he doesn't. General manager Rick Smith and agent Kennard McGuire negoiated off and on for several weeks, and, ultimately, as you'll see, the deal can be good for both sides.

In 2008, Colvin gets a base salary of $1 million, of which $500,000 is guaranteed. He also gets a roster bonus of $343,750.

In 2009, Colvin gets a base salary of $3 million, of which $500,000 is guaranteed. He also gets a roster bonus of $343,750.

In 2010, Colvin gets a base salary of $3.5 million, with no guarantee. He gets a roster bonus of $343,000.

So, if Colvin plays well for the Texans and stays on the team for three seasons, and his contract isn't restructured, his total deal is three years, $8.529 million if I've added correctly. Only $1 million is guaranteed, though.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #274
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
If he stays healthy, the contract was worth it. We catch the colts. If he doesn't
if he is Wilbur Marshall, will be choking on the cap number for awhile. He's not Jarred Allen . Nor did he cost us a first and third round pick. Smith did the best he could under the circumstance. and I believe there is a reason we don't know the cap number. Don't wanna see a bunch of belly aching come October if he gets dinged after all the boo-whooing that was done after the draft because they didn't pick a day two DE.
I won't fault the Texans for grabbing this guy one bit, even if he does become a bust. Right now, I'd say that he is the best off season acquisition (Outside of the draft) that the Texans have made in probably 3 years. That isn't saying much, but I'm glad they got Colvin. He should be of some help.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #275
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith is the man. Decent terms.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #276
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I won't fault the Texans for grabbing this guy one bit, even if he does become a bust. Right now, I'd say that he is the best off season acquisition (Outside of the draft) that the Texans have made in probably 3 years. That isn't saying much, but I'm glad they got Colvin. He should be of some help.
The point of view I take is that you have to consider what cap hell this team was in when they inherited it. It was a mess. They have stuck to their guns and methodically built through the draft and avoided any risky big money moves that could backfire on them. They have efficiently approached free agency and signed quality depth and improved the competition all around while restructuring current players contracts... to where the plan should come to fruition when we are a player or two away from a super bowl type team... we will THEN have room to make that big splash everybody is always eager to hear about.

To get Colvin here in Houston with those terms that are favorable for both parties just shows you how impressive our new regime really is. Kudos to Smith!!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #277
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Contract Details from McClains blog: http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/06/w..._the_te_1.html
I really like that deal.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #278
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was worried that they would pay $3-4 MM or more per year with more guaranteed money.

This is cheap. I'll take it.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #279
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I really like that deal.
I do too. I think it's borderline awesome. I all for incentive laden contracts for older players. IMO, Green's should've been structured in a similar manner.
Old 06-18-2008   #280
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Another awesome contract that should benefit player and team. All weak areas have been addressed and we now sit back and see how they play.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read