Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-16-2008   #221
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 245168 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rosevelt Colvin to sign with Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
No the size of the chair is fine. Now we just need a rope and and I-Beam.
LOL
now, now.... no need for violence
well.... not yet
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #222
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

I just checked out Rosey's website: http://www.r59.com/index.php any idea what number him or Meco will be wearing? What I have also been reading is that he was a jerk to the Colts when he played them on the Pats. Its never a bad thing to have a player who hates Indy. Heres to a healthy year Colvin, welcome to H-Town!
Old 06-16-2008   #223
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstars View Post
http://http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/06/texans_sign_veteran_lb_rosevel_1.html

In this Cron fan blog, they talk as if Covin was guaranteed a starting role. Take it for what it's worth.
Quote:
I agree. Since the Texans told him he would be going right into the starting rotation, it just seems like I would have at least told him to compete for the position. It wouldn't be fair to have the QB situation decided without a healthy competition for the spot, but a LB can go right into the starting rotation. Good post, Mike. -TH
Quote:
They haven't released the terms of his contract yet. I hope to have it by this afternoon and I'll post them. Since Kubiak/Smith usually don't go after high-priced FA's, I would imagine the contract is reasonable. Again, Colvin was deciding between us and the Colts. The Colts told his agent that he was not guaranteed to start. The Texans told him he would start immediately. I am sure that was a huge factor in his decision. -TH
Question - "My question is, does he compete for the starting SLB spot? Or is he simply a passrusher off the bench?"
Quote:
Hey, Jeremy. It's been a while. Good to see you're still with us. The coaching staff doesn't want to make that final decision yet. They still want to see where he fits into our lineup at camp. They said he's starting and that's what help lead to him coming here. I am not quite sure where they are going to slot him, though. -TH

question - "just wondering where you heard or saw that colvin was goining to be a starter everything ive been seeing is saying 3rd down pass rusher"

Quote:
That was part of the negotiation deal. Even if they don't start him, that was one of the reasons why he came here. I went to college (undergrad and grad) school with some people that work for the Texans front office. Again, I would not publish anything that I wasn't sure about. It may not turn out the way I report it, but I can wholeheartedly promise you it's facts if I publish it. I agree with you. I thought he was only going to be a 3rd down rusher and in pre-vent defense scoring situations. I guess the Texans staff are always free and open to change their minds. -TH
I'm not really comfortable starting a 250lbs player at DE. What does this mean for Weaver?

If they meant him starting at SLB, then I feel bad for Diles. The coaches been hyping him up since late last season and even name him starter. And now they're turning away from him? ouch.

Last edited by J-Russ; 06-16-2008 at 06:38 PM.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #224
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What am I supposed to do with this custom Michael Turner jersey, now?

Quote:
http://http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/06/texans_sign_veteran_lb_rosevel_1.html

In this Cron fan blog, they talk as if Covin was guaranteed a starting role. Take it for what it's worth.
It's a fan blog, therefore it shouldn't be held to the same scrutiny as the rest of the website. Still, if someone could point to one thing this guy and his "friends" that work for the Texans have gotten right, I might believe that Colvin was guaranteed a starting job.
Old 06-16-2008   #225
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So can we all agree that if this defense looks terrible this year we, as a Texans nation, tar, feather, and set Richard Smith on fire and run him out of town?
Our DBs are still suspect. Second year player who may hit his sophmore slump (knock on wood), a rookie, and a free agent who was a nickel back turned number two because of injury.

Not saying that the defense shouldn't be improved...just that...still some work to be done on the defense.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #226
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Our DBs are still suspect. Second year player who may hit his sophmore slump (knock on wood), a rookie, and a free agent who was a nickel back turned number two because of injury.

Not saying that the defense shouldn't be improved...just that...still some work to be done on the defense.
You think we should wait at least until a few preseason games before we call the DBs suspect? I doubt Fred Bennett hits a sophomore slump. Fred has all the tools to be as good as dunta. I wouldn't be to hard on Reeves just yet because the Cowboys secondary was bad all around. As far as Moulden, we just give him time to mature...he appears to have all the tools.......I'm just sticking to the saying...In Kubiak and Smith we trust.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #227
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post

don't forget about the offense needing to hold onto the ball, i think both sides have improved though
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-16-2008   #228
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87623 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So can we all agree that if this defense looks terrible this year we, as a Texans nation, tar, feather, and set Richard Smith on fire and run him out of town?
Looking for scapegoats already, are we?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #229
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What am I supposed to do with this custom Michael Turner jersey, now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
It's a fan blog, therefore it shouldn't be held to the same scrutiny as the rest of the website. Still, if someone could point to one thing this guy and his "friends" that work for the Texans have gotten right, I might believe that Colvin was guaranteed a starting job.
Yea, this is the same guy whose "college friends around the NFL" said the Texans were poised to make a big FA signing back in the Spring.

I wouldn't even read his garbage. But, if you do, take it with a grain of salt.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #230
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If the secondary gets burned... I don't know if you can lay that at his feet. Basically a guy who played half of his rookie year, and a 3rd round draft choice who hasn't taken an nfl snap in his life.....

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #231
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What am I supposed to do with this custom Michael Turner jersey, now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Yea, this is the same guy whose "college friends around the NFL" said the Texans were poised to make a big FA signing back in the Spring.

I wouldn't even read his garbage. But, if you do, take it with a grain of salt.
Are you talking about Thomas Hilton? I appreciate his work as well as ANYONE who takes the time to write about the Texans. Yeah, that includes McClain, Manful, Raley, ESPN, Keith, LZ, TexansChick, NFL.com, HoustonTexans.com, and many others. I still take everything that's been written with a grain of salt. Even the HoustonTexans.com articles. Gameday is all that matters to me. Who cares when gameday is here.

It's just fun reading about the Houston Texans is all. Whoever takes the time to write this stuff gets my appreciation. Includes everyone of you posters here on TexansTalk and other boards.

Garbage or not, it's fun reading about the Houston Texans. I guess what I'm saying is that I really missed football when the Oilers left. I'll never take having a football team in Houston for granted again. Never.
Old 06-16-2008   #232
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Are you talking about Thomas Hilton?
Yes
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #233
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
You think we should wait at least until a few preseason games before we call the DBs suspect?
You think we should wait at least until a few preseason games before we decide the DB's aren't suspect? The secondary was a major concern last season and as you said, Reeves was a part of another bad secondary, so that's not too much to get excited about. Add a third round rookie CB and it is safe to call our secondary suspect until proven otherwise. Just my opinion, but we are all entitled to our own.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #234
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You think we should wait at least until a few preseason games before we decide the DB's aren't suspect? The secondary was a major concern last season and as you said, Reeves was a part of another bad secondary, so that's not too much to get excited about. Add a third round rookie CB and it is safe to call our secondary suspect until proven otherwise. Just my opinion, but we are all entitled to our own.
Don't get facts get in the way of a good argument. Lets assume Aman Green, Charles Spencer, Drob, and hell Tony Bosseli are all coming back at full strength. Imagine what Bosseli is going to do when he gets to sit out every other play.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #235
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Lets assume Aman Green, Charles Spencer, Drob, and hell Tony Bosseli are all coming back at full strength.
I'd be happy with even one of those coming back at full strength.
Old 06-16-2008   #236
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Not that I am a fan of Richard Smith, but I am going to have to disagree here. It seems to me that a lot of folks are putting a lot of expectations on a bunch of unproven guys on our defense. We have three players on defense that have proven they are productive, quality players, IMO - Demeco Ryans, Mario Williams, and Dunta Robinson. D-Rob's out until mid-season at best, and realistically, he won't be on his game this season at all. It's the nature of knee injuries. So that leaves Mario and Demeco.

Who do we have in the secondary? Bennett had a good rookie season, and there's reason for optimism, but he's far from proven. There has been a phrase coined for a common phenomenon, dubbed the "sophomore slump". I'm not saying it's going to affect Bennett, but for as many young players as we have, it's bound to hit one or two of our promising guys. Across from Bennett, we have exactly what is unproven - a guy who didn't show well in Dallas, and is thought to have enough raw talent to be coached up to do well in our system. Maybe so, maybe no, but definitely unproven. Faggins, CC Brown, and Glenn Earl, on the other hand, are proven. They are all proven to be mediocre to terrible. Expecting some quantum leap forward at this point would be foolish. We can all hope, but expectation is the wrong word, IMO. At any rate, we have one guy in the secondary that I am optimistic about - Bennett.

Let's talk linebackers. Ryans is developing into the best MLB in the game (I mean exactly that, too). Aside from him, though, we have a bundle of players who are either proven journeymen, or unproven youth. I have high hopes for Adibi, but he's a rookie, and it may take him some time to get up to NFL speed. It may not, but it would be foolish to expect otherwise, I think. Colvin is a good addition, if we're adding him to the LB group, but there are questions there. I'll choose to be optimistic, and say we have a three-down player in Colvin.

D-Line seems like it should be the strength of our team, but think about it. Mario is a beast, we all agree. Okoye disappeared down the stretch, as rookies usually do, so what should we expect from him this year? A sophomore slump? An ascent to stardom like Mario? There are a lot of hopes being placed on an unproven player here, and I'm not Richard Smith is going to have as much to do with this as Franklin will. And I keep seeing all this unbridled enthusiasm for Okam, which I am all on board with. So I hate to be the fly in the ointment here, but a.)he's a rookie, and will probably fade down the stretch if he does well at all, and b.) he's completely unproven at the NFL level. Travis Johnson and Weaver are both proven, but nothing special, IMO. TJ ranks a bit higher in my mind, because he does have a knack for making plays now and again, but Weaver has proven to be a big zero as a Texan. Weaver and Cochran are nice depth, and it would be nice if one made the leap to full-time stud lineman, but I am not sure that's reasonable to expect, either.

Given the number of players that have to deliver on hopes (not expectations) this year, I don't think it's reasonable to assume that Richard Smith has all the tools he needs to succeed, much less be a powerhouse defense. Just looking at the odds tells you that some of those guys won't develop as quickly as hoped, will flat not perform, will have injuries, and/or just struggle as rookies sometimes do. And the odds tell us that some of them will become better players. Which ones make that jump and how big a jump it is will have more to do with our defensive prowess this year than Richard Smith, IMO.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #237
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 77683 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Looking for scapegoats already, are we?
Curious, why would I be looking for a scapegoat? Just b/c Richard Smith has been given play makers every year and has four out eleven players that are first round picks, key FA signings such at Demps, Reeves, and now Colvin, doesn't mean that I should expect our defense to perform now does it?

I thank you for offering me your pacifier but I would hate to take it from you.

And thank you for your thoughtful and insightful post.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #238
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can accept that. Heck I can could even deal with his 4 1/2 sack shortened season last year when you consider thats 4 1/2 sacks more than our starting DE had last year.

Paging Mr. Manning, Paging Mr. Manning, the Texans Defense would like to have a word with you. And thats Peyton with and E-Y, right?
I think that's Peyton with a "HOLY CRAP there's some good D's in this division"
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Then and now.

Close your eyes and imagine the infinitesimally small possibility of the Texans signing Colvin under the previous regime.

Now open your eyes, take a deep breath, smell the gardenias and tell yourself that it was only a bad dream.
What's a gardenia?
Quote:
Absotively, posilutely
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Speaking of Richard Smith, I found it interesting (but not surprising) that Colvin didn't say, "I'm soooo looking forward to playing in Richard Smith's vaunted defensive scheme."
Ya know, I've only heard oppossing offenses say anything remotely resembling that......only one word is changed.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
IMO, there are still a handfull of questions that need answering before we can proclaim ourselves to be "a defense to be reckoned with."

-We still don't know what we have at at least 1 if not both OLB positions.

-Our entire defensive backfield has yet to prove anything.

-Our defensive "bend but don't break" mindset sucks. Whether it be lack of talent or SmithDC.

-Our run defense has been inconsistant at best. Will Okam fix this? Defensive scheme?

-Our inability to cause turnovers.

I'm pumped like the rest of y'all, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

My .02
Dude....Quit crappin on my "run Richard Smith outta town" parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Not before giving him a barbed wire enema, of course.
That's soooo wrong on soooo many levels.

I'm gonna go out on a very small branch and predict that MW sets the single game sack record against the Dolphins. He MAY get it against the Ravens or Lions also.....
Old 06-17-2008   #239
buddyboy
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Not that I am a fan of Richard Smith, but I am going to have to disagree here. It seems to me that a lot of folks are putting a lot of expectations on a bunch of unproven guys on our defense. We have three players on defense that have proven they are productive, quality players, IMO - Demeco Ryans, Mario Williams, and Dunta Robinson. D-Rob's out until mid-season at best, and realistically, he won't be on his game this season at all. It's the nature of knee injuries. So that leaves Mario and Demeco.

Who do we have in the secondary? Bennett had a good rookie season, and there's reason for optimism, but he's far from proven. There has been a phrase coined for a common phenomenon, dubbed the "sophomore slump". I'm not saying it's going to affect Bennett, but for as many young players as we have, it's bound to hit one or two of our promising guys. Across from Bennett, we have exactly what is unproven - a guy who didn't show well in Dallas, and is thought to have enough raw talent to be coached up to do well in our system. Maybe so, maybe no, but definitely unproven. Faggins, CC Brown, and Glenn Earl, on the other hand, are proven. They are all proven to be mediocre to terrible. Expecting some quantum leap forward at this point would be foolish. We can all hope, but expectation is the wrong word, IMO. At any rate, we have one guy in the secondary that I am optimistic about - Bennett.

Let's talk linebackers. Ryans is developing into the best MLB in the game (I mean exactly that, too). Aside from him, though, we have a bundle of players who are either proven journeymen, or unproven youth. I have high hopes for Adibi, but he's a rookie, and it may take him some time to get up to NFL speed. It may not, but it would be foolish to expect otherwise, I think. Colvin is a good addition, if we're adding him to the LB group, but there are questions there. I'll choose to be optimistic, and say we have a three-down player in Colvin.

D-Line seems like it should be the strength of our team, but think about it. Mario is a beast, we all agree. Okoye disappeared down the stretch, as rookies usually do, so what should we expect from him this year? A sophomore slump? An ascent to stardom like Mario? There are a lot of hopes being placed on an unproven player here, and I'm not Richard Smith is going to have as much to do with this as Franklin will. And I keep seeing all this unbridled enthusiasm for Okam, which I am all on board with. So I hate to be the fly in the ointment here, but a.)he's a rookie, and will probably fade down the stretch if he does well at all, and b.) he's completely unproven at the NFL level. Travis Johnson and Weaver are both proven, but nothing special, IMO. TJ ranks a bit higher in my mind, because he does have a knack for making plays now and again, but Weaver has proven to be a big zero as a Texan. Weaver and Cochran are nice depth, and it would be nice if one made the leap to full-time stud lineman, but I am not sure that's reasonable to expect, either.

Given the number of players that have to deliver on hopes (not expectations) this year, I don't think it's reasonable to assume that Richard Smith has all the tools he needs to succeed, much less be a powerhouse defense. Just looking at the odds tells you that some of those guys won't develop as quickly as hoped, will flat not perform, will have injuries, and/or just struggle as rookies sometimes do. And the odds tell us that some of them will become better players. Which ones make that jump and how big a jump it is will have more to do with our defensive prowess this year than Richard Smith, IMO.
I agree on just about all those points, except I also want to add that Greenwood is also proven and has been solid through the years, even though he gets very little credit.
Old 06-17-2008   #240
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 64840 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

How can you evaluate players and coaches in a vacuum? It's Richard Smith's job to get the best out of a player, just as a player is responsible for his own performance.

Can you compare Weaver's productivity under Rick Smith versus his productivity under Mike Nolan in Baltimore and conclude anything? I'm not sure.

Can you say that CC Brown, Bennett, Okoye, Okam, Cochran, Bullman, Diles, Molden, BHarrison, etc... couldn't be better players if they had a different coach? I'm not sure. I do know that Faggins was a better CB before Richard Smith came to town. I don't know that he's the reason why Faggins struggled last year.

However, clearly the team has spent a lot of resources the past 3 years to improve the defense. So, if this defense, after all the efforts on the personnel end the past 3 seasons still ranks near the bottom, clearly Richard Smith will be held accountable.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read