Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-16-2008   #181
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rosevelt Colvin to sign with Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I think that in passing situations he could be the OLB, and he could also be the DE.
In passing situations, the Texans are usually in a 4-2-5 nickel defense where the 2 LBs are playing a middle zone, or covering a RB out of the backfield. It wouldn't make sense to play Colvin at LB in that defense.
Old 06-16-2008   #182
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I find it interesting that no numbers were disclosed.
No salary info. No length of contract info. No bonus info...
Maybe all that will be divulged when the signing actually occurs.
Does that stuff ever come out before the signing is official?

My biggest curiosity is the length of the contract. I can't imagine it's more that two years.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #183
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rosevelt Colvin to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
I heard had something to do with the timing. But between lack of sleep and studying, my brain is too friend to remember what I heard.

Something like Colts wanted a decision by so and so or Colvin wanted an offer by so and so, and it didn't happen.

Or maybe it was promised playing time....

I'm useless, lol.
maybe he hates Indy as much as I do? They sicken me.
Old 06-16-2008   #184
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm stoked. He may be the missing piece in our front seven this year....he's good enough to play in space in some packages and can give us a player that makes teams pay for overshifting to Mario in obvious pass rushing situations when he plays hand down.
And the thing he brings that may help us the most. He KNOWS how to win. Hes been there and done that with the best modern team ever. He brings alot leadership wise, even if he doesn't lead.
Old 06-16-2008   #185
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Bullman, Cochran, or Kalu I would imagine would be under the spotlight, or maybe 2 out of the 3 go. Have to look at the numbers and the entire roster.
no way Bullman goes. he's young and they are pretty high on him right now. i think young potential wins out over veterans in this situation.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #186
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94638 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post

My biggest curiosity is the length of the contract. I can't imagine it's more that two years.
I'm 110% in agreement - as long as this is structured to be a short-term deal (2 years), I really don't care how much of McNair's money he's getting.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #187
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 248675 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post

probably not
good point
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-16-2008   #188
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Then and now.

Close your eyes and imagine the infinitesimally small possibility of the Texans signing Colvin under the previous regime.

Now open your eyes, take a deep breath, smell the gardenias and tell yourself that it was only a bad dream.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #189
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

www.nfl.com is reporting that we're holding a press conference at 1 o'clock.
Old 06-16-2008   #190
barrett
Hall of Fame

totally unrelated, i'm watching vince young throw interceptions on nfl network! he sucks! awesome day in football!

also, the texans are supposed to be on tonight at 6 i think for the 32 teams in 32 days thing.
Old 06-16-2008   #191
barrett
Hall of Fame

anyone figure out if we're going to be able to watch this press conference?
Old 06-16-2008   #192
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
FYI, Colvin was a Linebacker for the Bears. He was a DE for Purdue.
According to the Texans, he was a DE for the Bears. He did not move over to LB until he signed with the Patriots in 2003.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4370

Quote:
He was drafted by Chicago in 1999 and started 36 games at defensive end in the Bears’ 4-3 defense. He recorded consecutive 10.5-sack seasons in his final two seasons with Chicago, leading the team in sacks both times.
After signing in New England in 2003, Colvin moved to outside linebacker in the Pats' 3-4 scheme and went on to earn two Super Bowl rings with the team.
Old 06-16-2008   #193
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
According to the Texans, he was a DE for the Bears. He did not move over to LB until he signed with the Patriots in 2003.
That's incorrect. Colvin was the Bears starting SAM linebacker in '01-'02. Though he did put his hand down as a DE on passing downs.

2001 Bears/Vikings gamebook
Old 06-16-2008   #194
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 77683 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4370
Someone over at HT.com is wrong. He played OLB for the Bears.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #195
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I went and took a gander at a Pats message board and was surprised not one bad thing was said about Rosey. It's obvious from their posts they're glad he didn't go to Indy because of the number of times they play each other. Here are a few posts:

Quote:
Best of luck to Rosie in Houston. He was a fav of mine, and he played well for us when he was healthy.

I hope he has a nice season for the Texans and helps to vault them to a wild card spot this year.
Quote:
It's not just simply better than Indy, he now becomes a direct problem for Indy two times a year.

Texans are an up and coming team that will push for a playoff spot this year assuming Johnson can stay healthy the entire year. Had he been last year, I believe they would have had that #6 spot.
Quote:
Colvin has been nothing but a class act here as far as I am concerned. Too bad he was hampered by injuries, but when he was on the field he got it done. Thanks for the help on two SB wins.
Quote:
Definitely glad he won't be suiting up for Polian's gang of losers. It's a shame we couldn't work something out to bring him back, but since he's gone, I'm glad it's to a team I have no ill will toward.

Good luck Rosey, sack Peyton a lot!
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-...ad.php?t=83769
Old 06-16-2008   #196
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 42196 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Here's Colvin's take on it.

Quote:
...Colvin passed his physical in Houston, and the Texans believe the healthy 30-year-old will excel in their scheme as an edge rusher that can complement defensive end Mario Williams. The team may not use Colvin as an every-down linebacker; instead, he could come in as a situational rusher on passing downs.

"I’ve been cleared for a long time to do any and everything to sort of go out and prepare myself, so going out on the field is not something that I’m limited on," Colvin said. "I just hadn’t had a team that I could do it for, so now that I have an employer, I can go out and try to perform the best I can.”...
At the bottom it notes Texans TV is gonna interview him with some fan questions - email them in if you got 'em.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #197
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

From Fannation.

`Both parties feel like they fit each other,'' Colvin said. ``Hopefully, we can get everything squared away as far as dotting the i's and crossing the t's.''

``My passion is rushing the passer,'' Colvin said. ``It's something I feel like I do well.''

The 30-year-old had 52 1/2 sacks in nine seasons with the Patriots and the Bears. The Texans have discussed the possibility of using him at defensive end as well as linebacker.

``I feel like I'm versatile enough to play a couple of different positions. So whether or not I'll be playing offensive line or quarterback, defensive end or linebacker, it remains to be seen,'' he joked. ``As we try to go forward from here, the most important thing is that I remain healthy. I'll try to get my role and what that's going to be.''

The 6-foot-3, 250-pound Colvin said he is healthy and glad to have a team to work with after being unemployed for almost four months. He hasn't had a chance to get in touch with any of his new defensive teammates, but has chatted with receiver Andre' Davis, with whom he played in New England.

Colvin's agent Kennard McGuire would not release terms of the deal, but when asked if it was a multiyear contract he said: ``I think that you're going to see Rosevelt Colvin here for an extended period.''

He signed with the Patriots in 2003 after back-to-back career highs of 10 1/2 sacks with Chicago, but his first season in New England ended after just two games because of a hip injury. He returned to play three full regular seasons for the Patriots before last year's injury.

Colvin joins a defense that features Williams as well as first-round picks Amobi Okoye and Travis Johnson on the line and 2006 Defensive Rookie of the Year, linebacker DeMeco Ryans. He said the opportunity to start over with a young defense is exciting for him.

``New faces. New situations. New team. Hopefully same old Rosey, which is a guy that goes out works hard and does everything he can to make plays and win games,'' Colvin said. ``Sort of the icing on the cake is the young guys that they have, that they've been able to develop the last couple of years on the defensive side of the ball.''

The signing reunites him with Texans general manager Rick Smith, who recruited him out of high school to play at Purdue. He said Smith had to work a bit harder to get him this time.

``A little more convincing had to come this time around, because I'm 30 years old,'' said Colvin, who is married and has four children. ``I'm at a point in my life where there are other priorities. Back then, it was just me I had to worry about.''

http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/663
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #198
D-Frank
Veteran

Rep Power: 97 D-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

hopefully they will experiment with him in TC to see if
he can play on the line effectively.
D-Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #199
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
Here's Colvin's take on it.

At the bottom it notes Texans TV is gonna interview him with some fan questions - email them in if you got 'em.
From the official message board......

Quote:
HoustonTexans.com will join newly-signed Houston Texan Rosevelt Colvin on Tuesday to answer fan questions with Texans TV's Brooke Bentley.

Want to know what Colvin thinks about possibly lining up opposite Mario Williams? About the Texans' facilities? More about his relationship with general manager Rick Smith?

Click here to e-mail in your questions, or send them to gotexans@houstontexans.com. Be sure to include your name and where you're from, and check back tomorrow afternoon to see if Colvin answers your question in a video interview on HT.com.

-Nick
LINK

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #200
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all for him playing DE and being like a Robert Mathis for us. Playing across from Mario and next to Amobi will take a lot of pressure of him. He should see a lot of single man blocking, and hopefully be able to exploit it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read