Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2004   #21
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well you got to like what coach hoke has done with dunta robinson...i wouldn't do anything to him...safties maybe a different story...our linebacker coach has been praised as one of the best in the business so i'd leave him be...but our d-line, d. coord, o. coord all needs to be seriously looked at for an upgrade in coaches
Old 12-13-2004   #22
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

the line being drawn in the sand is between the defensive players

and palmer and the offense.

year 1 they carried the team. last year we were decimated by injuries. this year when the d does have a good game the offense dosent show up and vise versa. vetrans are getting older and understandibly inpatient.

palmer may not put together stellar game plans or have that dazzling touch on this offense ,but in all fairness when :recievers cant get open...linemen cant block...running backs are injured or fumble...carr's timeing is off or his accuracy just isnt there, its not palmer's fault. any offense looks vanilla and boring when those things happen. a couple of things i would suggest however, (as if i have a say ) develop a sense of what the defense is doing at the line of scrimmage and exploit it. much like the colts and a fitting article in the chronicle a couple of days ago. secondly, try useing some motion in the offense. you can determine a LOT of what the defense has planed by doing so ,and also give that wideout an extra step on the defender. why do i always see our linebackers and strong safety mismatched on wide recievers? why do i never see that same mismatch when our offense has the ball?

as far as changes in the coaching staff :

linebacking and the d-line could use some tweaking. secondary coach hoke is a serious asset. if your looking for a coordinator or a headcoaching change already i think you out of your mind. do you want to go through a transition period for another 2-3 years as a new coach looks for personel to fit their system? you dont have to look far to see exactly what your asking for. try dallas. from playoffs to pathetic because of a new scheme and players who either fit a diffrent system or havent adapted to the new one.

what did you guys honestly expect this year? did you think we were going to go a full 16 games without hitting a speed bump (or numerous ones as the case may be)? playoff expectations were unwarranted before the season and i'll wager the people calling for the chopping block are those same impulsive fans. try something for me----look at the schedule. the only team we really had no buisness losing to was detroit. every other team we've faced and lost to are going to make the playoffs or miss them by a game. you want something to be pissed about? wait and see if we lose to the bears or the browns. until then pop a prozac.
Old 12-13-2004   #23
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda

year 1 they carried the team. last year we were decimated by injuries. this year when the d does have a good game the offense dosent show up and vise versa. vetrans are getting older and understandibly inpatient.

palmer may not put together stellar game plans or have that dazzling touch on this offense ,but in all fairness when :recievers cant get open...linemen cant block...running backs are injured or fumble...carr's timeing is off or his accuracy just isnt there, its not palmer's fault. any offense looks vanilla and boring when those things happen. a couple of things i would suggest however, (as if i have a say ) develop a sense of what the defense is doing at the line of scrimmage and exploit it. much like the colts and a fitting article in the chronicle a couple of days ago. secondly, try useing some motion in the offense. you can determine a LOT of what the defense has planed by doing so ,and also give that wideout an extra step on the defender. why do i always see our linebackers and strong safety mismatched on wide recievers? why do i never see that same mismatch when our offense has the ball?

linebacking and the d-line could use some tweaking. secondary coach hoke is a serious asset. if your looking for a coordinator or a headcoaching change already i think you out of your mind. do you want to go through a transition period for another 2-3 years as a new coach looks for personel to fit their system? you dont have to look far to see exactly what your asking for. try dallas. from playoffs to pathetic because of a new scheme and players who either fit a diffrent system or havent adapted to the new one.

what did you guys honestly expect this year? did you think we were going to go a full 16 games without hitting a speed bump (or numerous ones as the case may be)? playoff expectations were unwarranted before the season and i'll wager the people calling for the chopping block are those same impulsive fans. try something for me----look at the schedule. the only team we really had no buisness losing to was detroit. every other team we've faced and lost to are going to make the playoffs or miss them by a game. you want something to be pissed about? wait and see if we lose to the bears or the browns. until then pop a prozac.
Thankyou for not making me type all of this.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #24
AndreJ
All Pro

Powda, you nailed it.
Everyone take notes, and pop a prozac when you're done.
Old 12-13-2004   #25
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Powda, you make some good points about expectations being too high. No one expected a Super Bowl this year, however we did not expect to take a step backwards like this team has obviously done. It sickens me and a lot of other fans to watch the team regress like it has. It's not that they have lost to "good" but the fashion in which they have lost those games. At least we could see the effort last year whereas this year they have given up in quite a few games and been blown out and emberrassed.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #26
Jwwillis
All Pro

As much as I hate to blame coaches for the million dollar cry babys shortcomings, I do think the O-Line has been a legitimate disappointment. This is one area that you can convice me that there has been a coaching let down. However, you can forget about me blaming coaches for motivation. Give me a break! If 10-50million dollar contracts dont get you motivated NOTHING can. Can anyone on this board imagine not beaing able to get motivated to play a game you love for millions of dollars a year?? Sharper needs to look in the mirror.
Old 12-13-2004   #27
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
Powda, you make some good points about expectations being too high. No one expected a Super Bowl this year, however we did not expect to take a step backwards like this team has obviously done. It sickens me and a lot of other fans to watch the team regress like it has. It's not that they have lost to "good" but the fashion in which they have lost those games. At least we could see the effort last year whereas this year they have given up in quite a few games and been blown out and emberrassed.
As I recall the Texans finished 5-11 last year. They have that many wins already. W's and L's are what ultimately count.
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2004   #28
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Im sorry, but I haven't agreed with one thing you have said in every message of yours i have read. With acceptance to the pass blocking, just exactly how we taken a step backwards, all of our stats and #'s are up, please give me an example or some facts to support your statements, to me it sound like all you do is gripe and blame it one the coaches.
Old 12-13-2004   #29
Playmaker
Veteran

Rep Power: 244 Playmaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respected

Motivation...it's not just about that, it's about putting your players in the best situations to make plays. That's also a coach's job. It's about having a feel of how the game is going and making the right calls...be it gutsy or the safe calls...that win games.

But yeah...part of a coach's job is to motivate players...the best coaches have this aura that has every player believing in them...would run through a brick wall for them...makes the lesser players into overachievers...and puts your moneyplayers into situations to take over the game.
Playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #30
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

AndreJ, being a Texans apologist, of course you are not going to agree with anything negative said about them.

The team is a year more mature, they added talent to the roster and have far fewer injuries, yet they are exactly where they were last year. That is not progress.

Is there an excuse to explain this. Maybe it's the referees.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #31
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
The team is a year more mature, they added talent to the roster and have far fewer injuries, yet they are exactly where they were last year. That is not progress.

Is there an excuse to explain this. Maybe it's the referees.
Ok, um i dont know if you were aware or not but, we do still have 3 games lefts in the season and that means we have 3 more chances to improve our record. Now with 16 weeks passed and we are still at 5-11 then yes i agree with you and something will definitley have to be done. But the Texans could possibly go 8-8 looking down the road with the Bears, Jaguars, and Browns on our schedule (3 very beatable teams). We'll just have to see.

My point is, you can't just go around saying we've made no progress on our record @ all with 3 games still left in the season.

Now in response to the Refs. We have been screwed in the past two games by refs on game changing plays (Not that the refs are the ones to blame for the loss), but they made some blatant horrible calls these pass two weeks which changed the game dramtically. Once again despite these horrible calls, the refs are not to blame for the loss, but have contributed to it.
Old 12-13-2004   #32
Herdof
Rookie

*Hands Chris Palmer his well deserved pink slip.*

*Kidnaps Mike Martz, beats him to bloody pulp, makes him Houston's OC.*

*Texans fans sing Herdof's praises for bringing an excellent OC. Rams fans sing Herdof's praises for removing a bad head coach and decision maker.*

Seriously though, change is needed indeed. Offensive Line most importantly. I say we put Chester Pitts back at tackle.
Old 12-13-2004   #33
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker
Motivation...it's not just about that, it's about putting your players in the best situations to make plays. That's also a coach's job. It's about having a feel of how the game is going and making the right calls...be it gutsy or the safe calls...that win games.

But yeah...part of a coach's job is to motivate players...the best coaches have this aura that has every player believing in them...would run through a brick wall for them...makes the lesser players into overachievers...and puts your moneyplayers into situations to take over the game.
If someone will pay me a million bucks ill do anything he asked on a football field. I guess im just beat down from actually having to work my *** off for 5 figures a yr. As far as motivators perhaps u mean like the genius Tuna?? Or perhaps they are only great motivators when there teams are winning.
Old 12-13-2004   #34
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Obviously, he is referring to the coaching staff. This team has too much talent to be regressing the way that it is.
Actually if you continue to read to the end of the article, the question is asked to Sharper who he is referring to, and he replies, ďI donít know.Ē

Iím not saying that he isnít talking about a coach (God knows I hope he is), but the quote doesnít necessarily mean he is talking about a coach.

Here is the entire quote from the Houston Chronicle article:

"I was done with losing that first season," linebacker Jamie Sharper said. "No more positives. You have to produce. Somebody has to show us the way. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but who's going to direct us there? We need somebody to direct us to wins instead of close games."

Does Sharper mean a player? Different coaches? Who?

"I don't know," he said.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2944377
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #35
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda

What could a transition do to make our combine first 3 years record worse? Coaching changes can have positive results right away especially when you take over a team that has good players but they aren't producing. It is a great situation for a new coach. Just ask Atlanta.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #36
Deadball
Rookie

Default What Sharper Means

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
Actually if you continue to read to the end of the article, the question is asked to Sharper who he is referring to, and he replies, ďI donít know.Ē

Iím not saying that he isnít talking about a coach (God knows I hope he is), but the quote doesnít necessarily mean he is talking about a coach.

Here is the entire quote from the Houston Chronicle article:

"I was done with losing that first season," linebacker Jamie Sharper said. "No more positives. You have to produce. Somebody has to show us the way. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but who's going to direct us there? We need somebody to direct us to wins instead of close games."

Does Sharper mean a player? Different coaches? Who?

"I don't know," he said.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2944377
I'm guessing (so as to not offend anyone) that Sharper has an opinion but thinks it unwise to say more. That make sense?

I'm so tired of "support only" fans. I went through it with the Oilers, with the Titans (they were just as bad as the apologists here, though that seems to have changed by now--the Titan board in much more realistic and honest than it used to be), and now I've spent a couple years here with smart people who nevertheless are willing to forgive anything in the name of expansion team, or only the 2nd year, and now only the 3rd year. Face it, folks, we have a mess on our hands in the Texans, and it doesn't look like there's anyone around who can or will clean it up.
Deadball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #37
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With his team seemingly becoming more frustrated with each loss, coach Dom Capers almost seemed to expect the simmering undercurrent of dissension.

``To me, the challenge is every guy has to look within himself to see what he can do better,'' Capers said. ``The first sign of a losing team is if you start to see excuses, and people pointing fingers and placing blame.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #38
profan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
Im sorry, but I haven't agreed with one thing you have said in every message of yours i have read. With acceptance to the pass blocking, just exactly how we taken a step backwards, all of our stats and #'s are up, please give me an example or some facts to support your statements, to me it sound like all you do is gripe and blame it one the coaches.
You can throw your stats out the window. Stats are far losers! The only reason your looking at stats is because that's all you can talk about with this team. Not wins, not playoffs, not much progress at this point in the season over last season. The final judgement will be at the end of the season, but my judgement will be based on wins. Nothing is determined by stats, it's wins and losses, so just win! The only stat that matters is the final score.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #39
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

you made some interesting points powda but some others i disagree with.

do you want to go through a transition period for another 2-3 years as a new coach looks for personel to fit their system?

i dont see a transitional period, the personnel is in place and with casserly in charge that's not going to happen. we need a coach for THIS TEAM, not a clean slate.

what did you guys honestly expect this year?

i expected to leave expansion status behind. we're out of excuses, now we have to start winning. no more playing the top dogs not to lose, i expected to see "win or die trying". we dont have the team yet to bulldoze the entire nfl, noone's saying that. what we do have are certified playmakers that fall off of the planet as soon as we start a big game because we're afraid.

Texans Pride, Sharper knows exactly who he's talking about and so do we. Somebody has to show us the way. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but who's going to direct us there? We need somebody to direct us to wins instead of close games. if that's not aimed at the coaching staff & dom capers in particular that i'm officially clueless.
Old 12-14-2004   #40
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

ya know it WAS much more fun when we were an expansion team and i expected us to lose and we did win some, but now i expect us to win and we lose just about the same amount. Not much fun anymore
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read