Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-03-2008   #21
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Smith lands deal to stay through 2012

Great move by the Texans Brass to extend his contract. I think If the team at least on the field maybe not necessarily on the record looks vastly improved afterthis year I expect Kubiak to be extended as well. Nothing bodes well for an organization like continuity in the front office and ownership.

As for the Brown pick I'm just curious who else did the rest of you had in mind at 18 or would've taken instead of Brown? Would you have been satisfied with another year with Salaam at LT? What does it take in your mind for the move to be worth it?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #22
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
he has done really good until the Duane Brown reach. he may end up working out and being a good Tackle, but it smells like a bad pick to me. Hopefully Okoye progresses in his second year as well. His other picks have been pretty good but im on the fence on Brown and want Okoye to show some more.

That being said, Smith deserved the deal and has done a masterful job turning things around since Asserley was fired errrr resigned. I love the fact that he is young, i love the fact that he isn't afraid to make trades, and I love the fact that he is a minority in leadership where minorities are few and far between in those positions.

now if we can just find a consistent running game and pass rush, and we could actually be relevant for once.

I know alot of people say/believe this was a reach, and maybe it was, but Brown was considered a solid 2nd rounder by many as the draft got closer. And since we didn't have a 2nd rounder, and this is who Gibbs wanted, I think Rick did the right thing. And, like GB pointed out in the post above, the Chargers were going to take him with the very next pick! Heck, even Kubes was afraid Brown wouldn't be there when they picked after trading down.

Whether Brown becomes a good LT or not remains to be seen, but I still believe Smith made the right move. I'm glad they resigned him to another 4 years and hope he has more continued success. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #23
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm very pleased with this extension, pretty big fan of Smith. Hopefully his draft choices continue panning out and the hiring continues to be a slam dunk for us.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #24
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I think we got those this draft (aside from the DE position).
I like Adibi as an OLB prospect and we did add some secondary depth and Slaton could be a good 3rd Down back or SE/slot type dualthreat. I like the value we got in the later rounds, for sure...and trading down a few times really helped the haul overall.

Something that I don't think has been brought up yet, is that Smith has really done a good job not overpaying guys like the previous regime did...all the while resigning critical guys to market rate deals. One could argue we overpayed for Green but it was a pretty team friendly deal. I loved the Chris Brown pickup too.

Chris Brown is the X Factor this year. If he can bring us a running game, things could really start to get click. The guy is damn good and relatively young and now teams wont be able to stack the lines against him like he would run against in Tennessee because we have more of a passing game than TN.

Between Green and Brown and the rest of our prospects, we have the best stable of RBs to date. I am optimistic about the running game.
Old 06-03-2008   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick looks really happy, LOL!

http://www.houstontexans.com/index2.html

Congratulations to Mr Smith.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense with the Chargers having Mcneil at LT already, unless they worry about his spinal cord (something like that).

Or maybe they consider moving him to RT or G?

I thought their young RT was playing quite well last year?

They didn't even pick an Olineman until alsmot the end of the second day (#234) and it seems like people think he'd only have a slim chance of making the roster, and probably will land on PS.

They need a Center, but it's hard to imagine them wanting to move Brown to the middle?

Or perhaps they want to groom him for a year or two?

At any rate, I think (and hope) that Brown will work out for us.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #26
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink Re: Smith lands deal to stay through 2012

Who is this Rick Smith? Another strong safety???

I don't like this signing, through 2012?

Old 06-03-2008   #27
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 73838 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Awesome news, probably the most exciting announcement we've had this off season.

Love the job that Smith is doing.
Old 06-03-2008   #28
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Kudos to the boss for extending Rick Smith's contract. It was the right thing to do, and puts us on the right track.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #29
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Just judging Smith on what he's done so far, this seems like the right thing to do. I don't think there is a Texans fan around that wouldn't agree that the Texans are a better organization now that it was before he got here.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #30
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I don't think there is a Texans fan around that wouldn't agree that the Texans are a better organization now that it was before he got here.
Lord help us if we had gotten worse.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #31
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Rick looks really happy, LOL!

http://www.houstontexans.com/index2.html

Congratulations to Mr Smith.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense with the Chargers having Mcneil at LT already, unless they worry about his spinal cord (something like that).

Or maybe they consider moving him to RT or G?

I thought their young RT was playing quite well last year?

They didn't even pick an Olineman until alsmot the end of the second day (#234) and it seems like people think he'd only have a slim chance of making the roster, and probably will land on PS.

They need a Center, but it's hard to imagine them wanting to move Brown to the middle?

Or perhaps they want to groom him for a year or two?

At any rate, I think (and hope) that Brown will work out for us.
My guess is they liked his athleticism. I know prior to last year Olivea was their RT but got in Norv Turner's doghouse. I thought San Fran liked Brown as well. I don't think Brown would've gone past early 2nd round.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #32
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Smith works exceptionally well with the coaches providing them with the resouces best available to attain team goals within constraints of the salary cap. he works constantly in direct support of his head coach & they in turn listen to both the coaches & players. you can't get a better team player if you tried, he is an excellent GM & above that, person. well deserved.

regarding Brown, Secondhoneymoon, I understand your point, but what you & me failed to grasp leading up & during the draft was a players ability to fit within the system the Texans wanted to run, notably the ZBS which requires an athletic, mobile tackle. clearly Duane was signed off on by Alex Gibbs personally, Rick was able to add value, at a fairly high risk of losing him, yet still provide the player targeted @ #18. I have every confidence Duane Brown will be an outstanding LT in this system for the Texans over the next 8-10 years

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #33
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
he has done really good until the Duane Brown reach. he may end up working out and being a good Tackle, but it smells like a bad pick to me. Hopefully Okoye progresses in his second year as well. His other picks have been pretty good but im on the fence on Brown and want Okoye to show some more.

That being said, Smith deserved the deal and has done a masterful job turning things around since Asserley was fired errrr resigned. I love the fact that he is young, i love the fact that he isn't afraid to make trades, and I love the fact that he is a minority in leadership where minorities are few and far between in those positions.

now if we can just find a consistent running game and pass rush, and we could actually be relevant for once.
Quote:
the Chargers have said they were thinking of taking Brown after us, but that doesnt have a lot to do with anything. The Chargers also could afford to make a perceived 'reach' at a critical position, because they had no real critical needs, as their team is pretty much set.

we had more pressing needs at other positions and I felt there was more value at those positions at the point we took the pick. I felt we needed more of a sure thing at a guy who could come in and make an impact at a position of weakness (RB, secondary help, DE, and OLB) To each his own though. Another man's reach is another man's treasure. Smith made the pick and whats done is done. I hope it works out, GB.
Make up your mind, you flip flop more than a politician. First you flamed Smith for the pick then you changed your stang and liked it now your blasting him for the pick and you have no idea who the hell Brown is and you have yet to see him play a down. Is it a reach because you say it is or because of that moron Kiper? Mario is a bust, d'oh errr opps got that one a tad wrong didn't you Mel.

They drafted a CB and RB in the third, LB in the 4th and DT in the 5th, geez wiz man, they looked at needs and addressed them. You think every position should be filled in a draft or I should only the positions you think are important and if it is not who you wanted or what you wanted it is a reach and a failed draft. I am surprised you did not say Smith should be fired for not getting who you wanted.

As far as the Charges going to select the player after us and you say it is ok for them to reach because they do not have any critical needs is BS. What ever happened to teams that were in the upper area of drafts just taking BPA as to provide depth? Maybe, they had Brown on the board rated that high and it was going to be BPA. Of course this would not help your ranting and raving whinning about the pick.

You say you want a player that provides an impact immediately, how much more impact could there be than a starting LT? Granted he will not show up in the monday morning stat columns but it would still be important to the team. But oh no we need to wait on a LT every year and just hope and pray Salaam stays healthy and it is not Jordan Black having to make starts. What more pressing need is there than to protect the QB? Nope you want quick fixes and stats; forget about the long term plan and future of the team.

You fly off the handle about everything when it comes to the Texans. Just curious are you still wanting Kubiak fired? Do you still want to blame McNair for not going out and bringing in quality Assistant Coaches? I know it sucks that YKW is no longer here so you don't have a goat for you to pin everything on and have a legitimate reason to go off, so you have to make up reasons.

Old 06-04-2008   #34
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

To me, a "reach" is defined as drafting a player a significant amount of picks before you need to. If you draft a guy at 25 and could have gotten him two rounds later, that's a reach. But if that same guy isn't going to be available to be picked 5-6 picks later, then it isn't a reach.

According to what came out after the draft, there were 2 teams besides the Texans that were interested in Brown. If we dropped back another 4-5 picks, there would have been 2 very good chances for Brown to be gone. This is a situation where at least 3 teams, possibly more, had a guy rated higher than all the "experts". To me, that's not a reach, that's just another situation where the experts don't know what the hell they're talking about.

In the draft, if you want a guy, then you do what you have to do to get him. Smith did. Although he was considering dropping back a bit further and if he had done that, we probably would have missed the guy we wanted. That would have been a mistake.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith thru 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I will personally give that man a dollar if I ever see him.
He would negotiate you up to $3.
Old 06-04-2008   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the Chargers have said they were thinking of taking Brown after us, but that doesnt have a lot to do with anything. The Chargers also could afford to make a perceived 'reach' at a critical position, because they had no real critical needs, as their team is pretty much set.

we had more pressing needs at other positions and I felt there was more value at those positions at the point we took the pick. I felt we needed more of a sure thing at a guy who could come in and make an impact at a position of weakness (RB, secondary help, DE, and OLB) To each his own though. Another man's reach is another man's treasure. Smith made the pick and whats done is done. I hope it works out, GB.
I am very ok with Brown who Gibbs wanted and Steve Slaton rather than what was available to us prior to trade down. This off season brought us a starting center in Myers ( a need position) a probable LT starter in Brown, a possible starter or at least a capable backup CB in Molden (flip this for Reeves), solidified RB with Brown, Slaton and possibly Green if healthy and maybe a steal at DT. I'm going to be real (sarcasm) upset with Smith if our Qb 7th rounder doesn't start somewhere next year.
Old 06-04-2008   #37
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it just me, or has SmithGM gained a few lbs since coming here?

Old 06-04-2008   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

That's his money belt.
Old 06-04-2008   #39
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
NO time to workout when you are busy doing great drafts and rebuilding this club.
Old 06-04-2008   #40
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

My thoughts on this is here:

Houston GM Rick Smith Gets a Contract Extension, Banishes Ghost of Casserly

Basically, it is news you already know and my thoughts about watching the video discussing the extension.

That is, when you listen to McNair talking about what he likes about Smith, in some ways you are listening to him discuss what he didn't like about Casserly.

I have some Texans gossip in the post, but it is labeled as such.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read