Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-03-2008   #41
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP
Default Re: What late round pick/UFDA/long shot are you pulling for to make a big impact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Krause, the fourth TE, compares, sizewise, to Owen Daniels and has special teams experience and, could push Dreesen for that 3rd TE spot. ...especially if he's faster.
Yeah, looking at his size, he looks more like he'd be competing with Dreesen. Again, I think it was Dreesen's contributions on STs that helped him push Putzier out. ...And Putz was an atrocious blocker.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What late round pick/UFDA/long shot are you pulling for to make a big impact?

This from Kubiak on HT.com

(on the tight end position) Well, I think obviously its a very competitive group. Owen (Daniels)s our starter, theres no doubt about that. I think Joel (Dreessen)s come in and pushed Owen and pushed Mark (Bruener) to make them better players, and hes helping our football team because he can do both (catch and block). And then this young man, (Ben) Krause that we brought in, (is) a lot like Jeb (Putzier) in a lot of ways. Hes a receiving type of player. You need a little bit of both as you go into camp right here, so I feel good about those four and with the numbers nowadays thats about all you can take to camp anyway, so I feel good about the group.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #43
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was a little worried about how Grice-Mullen will fare against bigger and faster guys in the NFL because of the level of competition he faced in college.

Like the safety from ASU that he beat in the Hawaiin Bowl the year before.
That was his firt start of the year. (He had a total of 7 spot starts in his career.)

Of course all the highlights you can watch on youtube were great, but did he play against good opponents?

There's one Bama guy that was supposed to be decent.
(He's an UDFA for some team, I can't remember which one).

But looks like he has a bad day against Hawaii:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0hJAiPWkaE

Look for #2
Old 06-05-2008   #44
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Keep your eyes on Ben Moffitt, LB from USF.
He's a physical player with a good chance to make the squad as a backup at MLB. He seems to be able to read the flow of the game pretty well.

I like for him to learn to stay with the play until the whistle blow though.
A couple of times in the USF-W.Va game, I saw him slow down when the offensive player was tackled by his teammate.

You never know when the ball may pop loose, as it did happen one time.
Another Mountaineer player recovered the ball, but it might have bounced Moffit's way, and he needs to be ready for that!

Some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxz-H7yJrSs
The first part was from the USF-WVa game.

The first INT was from the USF-WVa game.
(He did have a very good game.)
Old 06-06-2008   #45
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Did anyone notice that Chris Taylor would appear to be running with the third team? I was looking at the OTA photos for thursday on HT.com and it was all Green and Brown with the first team. Do I read into this that Taylor isn't living up to what we'd hoped? I know going into last years camp it was thought that he was going to have a great year. Has he slipped after his injury or is it just a depth issue?

Thoughts?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #46
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Can I be greedy and say all of them?
That's kind of the point. They're going to have some hard cuts....eight before camp starts. They'll keep nine o-lineman and they should keep an extra DT squirreled away for the back eight games. Might get use to the fact that we'll see a few of these guys on the wrong sidelines wearing the wrong jersey colors. I doubt there'll be a lot of turnover with the WR's.
Old 06-06-2008   #47
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

The two slots that are wide open are Mike anderon and Von Hutchins ST slots.
Old 06-06-2008   #48
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I like Moffit, he's got great instincts for the game and leadership qualities.
Old 06-06-2008   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

And he needs the job more than you know it!
Old 06-06-2008   #50
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Did anyone notice that Chris Taylor would appear to be running with the third team? I was looking at the OTA photos for thursday on HT.com and it was all Green and Brown with the first team. Do I read into this that Taylor isn't living up to what we'd hoped? I know going into last years camp it was thought that he was going to have a great year. Has he slipped after his injury or is it just a depth issue?

Thoughts?
Taylor was always a long-shot. Everyone has been cheering for him but he's got a lot he'll have to show just to make the team.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #51
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post

Thoughts?
It is OTAs, green needs to work with Gibbs to make sure that he knows what to do and since Brown is the immediate backup he has to work with the first team as well.

It is how it is for the 3rd string back. Now if you saw Walker running some plays with the first team then maybe I would read something into it, but not now.
Old 06-06-2008   #52
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Taylor was always a long-shot. Everyone has been cheering for him but he's got a lot he'll have to show just to make the team.
i got the impression that going into last season he was hardly a long shot. prior to his injury i remember Kubiak talking about how great he was looking.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #53
76Texan
Hall of Fame

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4359

Adibi has been playing the weak-side linebacker spot with the second team, but coaches think he has the potential to play both outside spots.

I think he can play outside either way, head coach Gary Kubiak said. Well kind of lock him right now and try to get him comfortable with what hes doing, but hes been very impressive the three days hes been on the field.

It has helped Adibi that he ran similar defensive schemes at Virginia Tech, where he led the team with a career-high 115 tackles last season.

He had run a lot of similar defenses and hes a very bright guy, which we like as a coach, Holland said. He has no problem picking it up. He just needs to get reps and get after it and learn the details of the techniques we teach and the details of the defense.

The main thing for rookies is learning the mental part of our defense and what we are trying to do and get the reps. Hes learning every day. I would like to see him with pads on and see him make contact.

During OTAs, the players just wear shorts and no contact is allowed. Holland said was impressed by Adibis physical play in college and is excited to see him tackle at the pro level. The coach would like to see Adibi improve his lower body strength, which he can work on now that his hamstring is 100 percent healthy.

Adibi realizes that he has the potential to contribute right away and its just time to prove so much in practice.
Old 06-06-2008   #54
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

5th round last year, did not make OTA's, and was about a week late to training camp last year (because of late graduation), Stanford grad: CB/FS Brandon Harrison, 6-2, 217lbs. He is my choice as late round/FA of the year this year.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #55
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rick Smith
(on weight concerns of Okam) No, when you see this guy with his shirt off, you will see him when he comes in here that he looks good. He was a little heavy at the combine, but like I said he was down to 335. Hes a big man. Hes got long legs, about 34 inch arm length. He probably has the biggest hands in the combine which is very important for defensive guys to be able to grab onto people and get rid of them - size 11 hands, so for most things, he got all those measurables that you look for. The thing that excites us most about this kid is his size and athletic ability. Were excited to work with him this upcoming mini-camp.

(on how Texans will utilize Okam) When you look at us on our inside at our defensive tackle position, you have Travis Johnson, who had a great year, and you have Amobi Okoye, who is a three technique, and behind him, you got (Anthony) Maddox. Were really a little bit under sized inside. Were excited about this guy because he has the athletic ability that he can play either position. Whatever the position may be, thats going to work its way out in time. We were excited because coming into the draft, we were looking for a bigger inside player. I know everybody reads and talks about us getting another pass rusher, everybody in the country would like that. But at this particular time in the draft, we were fortunate to get this big man. And, like I said, we are excited because of his athletic ability and his promise that he has.

(on what type of Okam will be) He could play either he could play 3 or he could play nose (tackle) or he could also because hes such a big man who people have him playing 3-4 and said he could be a zero technique. He is a big man that has the athletic ability. When we looked at him he had the ability to bend his knees, change direction and hes got good body balance. Hes got hip rotation were he can turn his hips and scant. Hes had like 11-16 sack in his career, but anytime you have 335-pound guy youre getting a guy who would be able to plug holes in for you.
Old 06-10-2008   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Alex Brink's short video clip:

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1584777Z35hzBJ7
Old 06-12-2008   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Check out DE Jesse Nading (CSU Rams):

http://www.ramhighlights.colostate.e...ighlights#more

Several short clips, most of them on offensive.
But I highlight the defensive plays that Nading were involved in as followed:

UNLV (10/20) Clip 1

Fresno St. Clip 3
Colorado (Rocky Showdown) Clip 1 and 3

NMexico Clip 1
Wyoming Cli 4
Utah Clip 1 and Goal-line stand
Colorado (CU) Clip 1
*Note: The Rams are normally in Green, but I guess for road games, sometimes are in white, like in the 05 Colorado game.

If you want to, you can also try to find other CSU players on our roster now: Briesel, Dreessen, and Anderson.
I think I'll skip that part!
Old 06-25-2008   #58
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Finished reviewing another USF game.
Ben Moffit looks good just the same.
They lined him up all over the field.
On passing down, he can drop back or rush the QB.
Very physical and will mix it up with any O-lineman or TE. He will attack any point on the line. He's strong enough to be able to push an OT or OG.

On one play, either an OT or TE tried to push him at the end. He just turn around and throw the guy on the ground.

On another play, he simply ran over a hapless RB and deck the QB.

I really don't know how this TC will shape up.
But there gonna be some difficult cuts, but we all know that!
Old 06-25-2008   #59
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Finished reviewing another USF game.
Ben Moffit looks good just the same.
They lined him up all over the field.
On passing down, he can drop back or rush the QB.
Very physical and will mix it up with any O-lineman or TE. He will attack any point on the line. He's strong enough to be able to push an OT or OG.

On one play, either an OT or TE tried to push him at the end. He just turn around and throw the guy on the ground.

On another play, he simply ran over a hapless RB and deck the QB.

I really don't know how this TC will shape up.
But there gonna be some difficult cuts, but we all know that!
The good thing about guys like Moffit, Nading, and Brink is that even if we cut them they are still eligible for the PS, provided they make it through waivers.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #60
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

I Think Adibi will be a MONSTER....second round OLB in the draft grabbed in the 4th.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read