Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-02-2008   #21
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What late round pick/UFDA/long shot are you pulling for to make a big impact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Check my math here guys, but I see room for more than 5 WRs
Offense
QB - 3
RB - 3
FB - 1
WR - 5
TE - 3
OL - 8
total = 23

Defense
S - 4
CB - 4
LB - 6
DL - 8
total = 22

45 + 3 S/T (P, PK, LS) = 48

I see two more OLs, one more RB (FB?) and one more WR. On defense, one each, extra DB, LB, and DL.
Yeah, they will carry 10 O-lineman, and I'm pretty sure Cook and Leach were active for all the games last year, so there will be 2 FBs along with the likely 3 RBs. I think they're MUCH more likely to carry an extra DB before an extra WR.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #22
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What late round pick/UFDA/long shot are you pulling for to make a big impact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Like the old college days, when teams had well over 100 guys on their rosters? LOL!
Made DKR an icon.

Old 06-02-2008   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
Made DKR an icon.

His royal highness had a lot of oil revenues to support the troop, LOL!
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #24
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Quote:
(after reviewing 7 or 8 Cowboys games already)
Did your eyes bleed watching that much cowgirl football?

I have faith in Reeves because the coaches said they are going to use him in a completely different scheme than the cowgirls did. Also I remember reading somewhere that he has been working his tail off since day 1, which is a great thing to hear about a player.

As for the topic I will have to go with Charles Spencer. I consider him a long shot because nobody really know what he can do. I am pulling for him simply because he worked so hard to get back on the field. I hope when the team gets in pads he impresses everyone enough to make an impact in 08.
Old 06-02-2008   #25
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post

I have faith in Reeves because the coaches said they are going to use him in a completely different scheme than the cowgirls did. Also I remember reading somewhere that he has been working his tail off since day 1, which is a great thing to hear about a player.

As for the topic I will have to go with Charles Spencer. I consider him a long shot because nobody really know what he can do. I am pulling for him simply because he worked so hard to get back on the field. I hope when the team gets in pads he impresses everyone enough to make an impact in 08.

Good point, because on injury, you could consider him a long shot as well. I am really pulling for Spencer also, he got a bad break (no pun intended) when he was clearly trending upward.
Old 06-02-2008   #26
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Yeah, they will carry 10 O-lineman, and I'm pretty sure Cook and Leach were active for all the games last year, so there will be 2 FBs along with the likely 3 RBs. I think they're MUCH more likely to carry an extra DB before an extra WR.
i doubt they carry 10.. gary always talks about the importance of the 'swing tackle' so 9 should be the max.. and that swing T should either be salaam or rashad butler
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post

LOL. Fortunately, I just watch the defensive side.

And true, as I had mentioned in some other posts that the Cowboys brought the front seven a lot (unlike us), so at times, the back four can be vulnerable at times.

And Reeves has speed to recover and shows to be a good tackler.
But until I see him put everything together on the field, I'm afraid I have to remain a bit apprehensive.

Look, we've already got Bennett, and the Texans went out and draft a CB in the third round.
Also, from what I read, Reeves wasn't handed the starting job.

And yes, I would love to see the Big Nasty make a full recovery.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2008   #28
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
i doubt they carry 10.. gary always talks about the importance of the 'swing tackle' so 9 should be the max.. and that swing T should either be salaam or rashad butler
That's based on what they carried last year, which was almost always 10 active lineman. That's how I recall it happening, anyway.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 06-02-2008   #29
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Right now there is 3 FB and 4 TE on the roster. With 11 WR currently there.

TE - Daniels, Dressen and Bruener will all make the team. The 4th guy Ryan Krause I know nothing about so I do not think he will be on the team.

FB - The team carried two last year all year and the year before we had Cook going into the season and injuries in abled the team to find Leach. So I am sure they will keep two, with Cook and Abbate fighting it out for the second FB position.

WR - If we only keep 5 it would be Andre` Johnson, Andre` Davis, Jacoby Jones, Kevin Walter and David Anderson? Last season we had 6 WR catch a pass and that includes Mathis and also for the time Johnson was out.

Indy had 6 WR catch a pass and 3 TE and 4 RB/FB It looks like they carried about the same compliment we did last year, which does include 4 TE.

So with Putzier gone and not knowing jack about the 4th TE on the roster it is well concievable that the Texans will carry 6 WR and 3 TE. The reason I went through all this is to say picking the rookie WR is not a bad idea since I do think one of the younger WR will make the team.

Since I can not pick Molden since he was a 3rd round pick and I going to go with second year guy Abbate as our second FB to be on the roster once camp breaks, with Cook being the odd man out.
With the new spread offense being implemented it will make the fullback a less needed position . In fact many that use the gibbs style offense dont use any fullback at all and in my opinion any back that cannot carry the rock is a loss in the making . With that being mentioned i will say that i think that Adibi will be an import player for the texans this year because of the games against indy . With his speed at the lb spot we might be able to play more of a straight up defense against indy instead of that all db and one lb defense .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #30
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink Re: What late round pick/UFDA/long shot are you pulling for to make a big impact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Right now there is 3 FB and 4 TE on the roster. With 11 WR currently there.

TE - Daniels, Dressen and Bruener will all make the team. The 4th guy Ryan Krause I know nothing about so I do not think he will be on the team.

FB - The team carried two last year all year and the year before we had Cook going into the season and injuries in abled the team to find Leach. So I am sure they will keep two, with Cook and Abbate fighting it out for the second FB position.

WR - If we only keep 5 it would be Andre` Johnson, Andre` Davis, Jacoby Jones, Kevin Walter and David Anderson? Last season we had 6 WR catch a pass and that includes Mathis and also for the time Johnson was out.

Indy had 6 WR catch a pass and 3 TE and 4 RB/FB It looks like they carried about the same compliment we did last year, which does include 4 TE.

So with Putzier gone and not knowing jack about the 4th TE on the roster it is well concievable that the Texans will carry 6 WR and 3 TE. The reason I went through all this is to say picking the rookie WR is not a bad idea since I do think one of the younger WR will make the team.

Since I can not pick Molden since he was a 3rd round pick and I going to go with second year guy Abbate as our second FB to be on the roster once camp breaks, with Cook being the odd man out.
I dont think Bruener is that much of a lock to make the team. Kubiak and Smith have been saying all off season that we are trying to get younger. Thats not Bruner at all. He isnt guaranteed much, meaning he is cuttable if he doesnt show well at camp. Cook cost us at least 2 games in the last 2 years, and doesnt account for all thagt much to our team. Abbate is a converted LB, so there is no telling how much he has picked up. Im still betting for Leech, Daniels and Dreesen to be out FB/TEs. Add to that 5 WR's and 4RB's(Green, Taylor[who also could play FB], Brown, and Slaton[also could play WR]) FBs are mostly a waste of space in our offense. Leech only makes it because hes really good. WR is the main 4 and either Anderson or Rice-Mullins, unless they both show good, then maybe we hold 6.
Old 06-02-2008   #31
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
That's based on what they carried last year, which was almost always 10 active lineman. That's how I recall it happening, anyway.
we carried 2 backup G's and 2 backup C's?

edit: actually i think you're talking about the 53 man roster, im talking about the 48 active guys on gameday
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #32
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I dont think Bruener is that much of a lock to make the team. Kubiak and Smith have been saying all off season that we are trying to get younger. Thats not Bruner at all. He isnt guaranteed much, meaning he is cuttable if he doesnt show well at camp. Cook cost us at least 2 games in the last 2 years, and doesnt account for all thagt much to our team. Abbate is a converted LB, so there is no telling how much he has picked up. Im still betting for Leech, Daniels and Dreesen to be out FB/TEs. Add to that 5 WR's and 4RB's(Green, Taylor[who also could play FB], Brown, and Slaton[also could play WR]) FBs are mostly a waste of space in our offense. Leech only makes it because hes really good. WR is the main 4 and either Anderson or Rice-Mullins, unless they both show good, then maybe we hold 6.
I disagree with the first bit. They use a lot of 2 TE sets, and Bruener is the best blocker of the lot by far. I don't know about this Krause kid, but I don't see he or Dreesen looking that much better in camp for them to be considered the blocking TE. We'll see, though. With the hybrid offense of the last two years, I don't know if we've seen how they want to fully utilize the FB. The FBs or extra RB or whatever have to be able to contribute on STs, and they seem to like how Cook has performed there. For now, I guess Anderson is the back up PR? Or is it Andre'? Personally, I think they need to carry four RBs if they want to keep both Green and Brown.

Quote:
Offense
QB - 3
RB - 3
FB - 1
WR - 5
TE - 3
OL - 8
total = 23

Defense
S - 4
CB - 4
LB - 6
DL - 8
total = 22

I see two more OLs, one more RB (FB?) and one more WR. On defense, one each, extra DB, LB, and DL.
Unfortunately, I think they'll be forced to carry two extra DBs including Dunta until he comes off the PUP list. At least one more on the OL and another RB/FB. That leaves one spot, unless they don't carry 3 QBs. Despite what they said, I'm not completely convinced they will, especially if Brink looks good in camp (PS).
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #33
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

To the original question, Tim Bulman. Though his odds aren't as long now because of the positive comments he's gotten.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #34
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
I disagree with the first bit. They use a lot of 2 TE sets, and Bruener is the best blocker of the lot by far. I don't know about this Krause kid, but I don't see he or Dreesen looking that much better in camp for them to be considered the blocking TE. We'll see, though. With the hybrid offense of the last two years, I don't know if we've seen how they want to fully utilize the FB. The FBs or extra RB or whatever have to be able to contribute on STs, and they seem to like how Cook has performed there. For now, I guess Anderson is the back up PR? Or is it Andre'? Personally, I think they need to carry four RBs if they want to keep both Green and Brown.

Unfortunately, I think they'll be forced to carry two extra DBs including Dunta until he comes off the PUP list. At least one more on the OL and another RB/FB. That leaves one spot, unless they don't carry 3 QBs. Despite what they said, I'm not completely convinced they will, especially if Brink looks good in camp (PS).
No argument on anything but the three QB thing. I think past injuries at the position have Kubiak just paranoid enough to carry three. Remember we had to suffer thru Nov/Dec of '06 with YKW because Sage busted his hand on a FG.

Also, Diles made a name for himself on special teams. If he succeeds as a starter, that will open up a spot on coverage teams for one of the youngsters.

Krause, the fourth TE, compares, sizewise, to Owen Daniels and has special teams experience and, could push Dreesen for that 3rd TE spot. ...especially if he's faster.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 06-02-2008 at 09:23 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #35
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
we carried 2 backup G's and 2 backup C's?

edit: actually i think you're talking about the 53 man roster, im talking about the 48 active guys on gameday
I'm talking about 2 backup Gs, 2 backup Ts, and 1 backup C. 5 starters + 5 backups = 10 linemen, and yeah - I'm talking the 53-man roster. Should have been more clear on that, my bad.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 06-02-2008   #36
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
With the new spread offense being implemented it will make the fullback a less needed position . In fact many that use the gibbs style offense dont use any fullback at all and in my opinion any back that cannot carry the rock is a loss in the making .
First off, this isn't the spread offense. It's a zone blocking system.

Secondly, if you look at most of Gibbs' teams, the fullback has been an important feature. Although some people, like Coach Dent who used to post on here, say that the fullback doesn't belong with the zone blocking system, Gibbs has used them quite a bit. Just look at Howard Griffith with the Broncos as an example.

Last edited by The Pencil Neck; 06-02-2008 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Cutting excess
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #37
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
First off, this isn't the spread offense. It's a zone blocking system.
I think he may be confusing Mouse Davis and the Denver Gold (Spread Offense) with Mike Shanahan and the Denver Bronco's (ZBS)!

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #38
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Offense
QB - 3
RB - 3
FB - 1
WR - 5
TE - 3
OL - 8
total = 23

Defense
S - 4
CB - 4
LB - 6
DL - 8
total = 22

That makes 55... we only get 53. There is no way we keep more than 5, though the P.S will likely have someone on it. In order to get down to 52 you're going to have to cut some very good players:

OL: that's 10 and doesn't includ: Eslinger, GWhite, Spencer
Brown
Pitts
Myers
Weary
Winston
Salaam
Butler
Frye
Studdard
Briesel

DB: that's 10 and doesn't include: G.Earl, JFletcher, BHarrison, JSimmons
Dunta
Reeves
Faggins
Molden
Bennett
Harrison
Demps
Ferguson
Barber
CC Brown

RB: that's 5 and doesn't include: CTaylor, DWalker, Abbate
VLeach
Cook
Slaton
AGreen
CBrown

So, I would think that it's a near impossibility given our depth at other positions, our philosophy that is focused on running the ball, and our areas of concern like DB, RB, OL- all areas that we've struggled historically due to injuries, etc... Those aren't positions likely to suffer extra cuts.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #39
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I hope you're right Spec. He was my guy last year. Although, it seems everytime his name is brought up to Kubiak, he goes off on a tangent about how many FB's they have and how hard it's going to be to make the team this year...yada....yada...yada. The writing might be forming on the wall for Abbate. Abbate's a banger so things might change when the pads are strapped on, but for now it looks like Abbate is the odd man out.
The dude's got the heart and I hope for the best for him.
Abbate should have another year of eligibility on the Practice Squad. And since he was on IR all last year, my guess is he will be put on the PS if he doesn't beat out Cook. Does anyone know when Cook's contract expires?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #40
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Cook has three years left on his deal, including 2008. The bright side is, his contract is pretty small... he signed a 5 year deal before the '06 season worth 5 million total. So if they wanted to cut him loose, it wouldn't be a disaster. He hasn't been bad for us though... just not as good as Leach.

www.HoustonDiehards.com

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read