Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-02-2008   #1
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What late round pick/UFDA/long shot are you pulling for to make a big impact?

I realize a lot of folks will take Okam here, and I love the Okam pick since day one especially with the news we have been getting out of OTA's. I think it's pretty safe to speculate that he will make the team in some form or fashion.

My choice would be Ryan Grice-Mullen. He is going to have to fight his way on to the team given the fact there will be so much competetion at the WR position. But if he makes it, and I think he could grab that last spot, I love his explosiveness. I also love the fact that he is a small, fast guy that has been overlooked and underestimated because of his size. I think it will just make him hungrier to succeed. I also think he could have some value returning kicks, not saying to replace Davis, who has been exceptional, but he might be able to fill in if there was reason too.

I am excited about how fast and elusive he is and I think he could be a huge playmaker down the road. I got his autograph at All Access and told him that I was rooting for him, he seemed to appreciate that.

So who do you like? Who do you think be a contributor if they can make the team that has flown under the radar thus far?

Old 06-02-2008   #2
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What late round pick/UFDA/long shot are you pulling for to make a big impact?

So, if Mullins makes the team, who do you want him to replace? They only carried 4 active receivers for the bulk of the season last year, so that means that Jacoby or Andre Davis would not make the team, which of course is not going to happen. Now, if you're saying that you're hoping for Mullins to make the team on the practice squad - then fine... but we're going to be very run-focused next year and I wouldn't expect them to deviate from their habit of carrying only 4 receivers on the active roster.

Mullins has been injured for most of OTAs, so I'm not really sure what the basis is for so many thinking he's going to be a big deal... not that I don't hope he will be.

I guess my answer would be DE Jesse Nading, though I have heard nothing about how he's doing so far.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #3
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What late round pick/UFDA/long shot are you pulling for to make a big impact?

I think we carry 5 WR's this year. Last year, we go in a little trouble in a few games when we had TE's out wide when a few people got banged up. We may only carry 2 TE's and 1 FB, so that makes room foor more skilled players.
Old 06-02-2008   #4
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Brandon Mitchell - Big safety from Ohio State. Didn't look bad last year when I saw him during T/C.

Harry Williams - UDFA WR from Tuskegee. Good hops, really good speed. Made some nice catches when I saw him in T/C last year. Also came in and played on special teams in a couple of games at the end of last year.
Could be a Keenan McCardell type... okay, that's wishfull thinking... but hey, McCardell was drafted in the 12th round.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
So, if Mullins makes the team, who do you want him to replace? They only carried 4 active receivers for the bulk of the season last year, so that means that Jacoby or Andre Davis would not make the team, which of course is not going to happen. Now, if you're saying that you're hoping for Mullins to make the team on the practice squad - then fine... but we're going to be very run-focused next year and I wouldn't expect them to deviate from their habit of carrying only 4 receivers on the active roster.

Mullins has been injured for most of OTAs, so I'm not really sure what the basis is for so many thinking he's going to be a big deal... not that I don't hope he will be.

I guess my answer would be DE Jesse Nading, though I have heard nothing about how he's doing so far.
I think you are right about Mullins , its going to be very difficult for him to make the team . AJ , AD , JJ and Walter are pretty much locks to make the 53 man roster .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I think we carry 5 WR's this year. Last year, we go in a little trouble in a few games when we had TE's out wide when a few people got banged up. We may only carry 2 TE's and 1 FB, so that makes room foor more skilled players.
They may well carry 5 WR's on the roster .... But with this teams commitment to the run I seriously doubt that its at the expense of the TE position . One FB is a possibility but what happens when there is an injury ??

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post
I think you are right about Mullins , its going to be very difficult for him to make the team . AJ , AD , JJ and Walter are pretty much locks to make the 53 man roster .

They may well carry 5 WR's on the roster .... But with this teams commitment to the run I seriously doubt that its at the expense of the TE position . One FB is a possibility but what happens when there is an injury ??
I agree. The dude hasn't even been on the field enough to make an impression much less a roster spot.

I'm not really pulling for any UDFA's, but if I was I guess it'd be LB Ben Moffit. Other than D-Ryans, the position continues to be a weakness of our defense.
Old 06-02-2008   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Harry Williams - UDFA WR from Tuskegee. Good hops, really good speed. Made some nice catches when I saw him in T/C last year. Also came in and played on special teams in a couple of games at the end of last year.
Could be a Keenan McCardell type... okay, that's wishfull thinking... but hey, McCardell was drafted in the 12th round.
100% immaterial but just fyi, he was a 7th rd draft pick by the jets in '05.... the jets 6th rd pick that yr was joel dreessen
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2008   #8
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Check my math here guys, but I see room for more than 5 WRs
Offense
QB - 3
RB - 3
FB - 1
WR - 5
TE - 3
OL - 8
total = 23

Defense
S - 4
CB - 4
LB - 6
DL - 8
total = 22

45 + 3 S/T (P, PK, LS) = 48

I see two more OLs, one more RB (FB?) and one more WR. On defense, one each, extra DB, LB, and DL.
Old 06-02-2008   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Dominique Barber. strong (23 reps) tough (played hockey) pedigree (brother of Marion III, plays for the Dallas Cowboys) & coaches pick (Ray Rhodes).

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #10
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
100% immaterial but just fyi, he was a 7th rd draft pick by the jets in '05.... the jets 6th rd pick that yr was joel dreessen
Thanks for the background info.
I just like pulling for "bubble" guys that don't have all the hype but hold their own when given a fair shake.
Old 06-02-2008   #11
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post

Well I am hoping we can carry 5 this year. As you said Jacoby and Davis are not going anywhere.
Old 06-02-2008   #12
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post

Right now there is 3 FB and 4 TE on the roster. With 11 WR currently there.

TE - Daniels, Dressen and Bruener will all make the team. The 4th guy Ryan Krause I know nothing about so I do not think he will be on the team.

FB - The team carried two last year all year and the year before we had Cook going into the season and injuries in abled the team to find Leach. So I am sure they will keep two, with Cook and Abbate fighting it out for the second FB position.

WR - If we only keep 5 it would be Andre` Johnson, Andre` Davis, Jacoby Jones, Kevin Walter and David Anderson? Last season we had 6 WR catch a pass and that includes Mathis and also for the time Johnson was out.

Indy had 6 WR catch a pass and 3 TE and 4 RB/FB It looks like they carried about the same compliment we did last year, which does include 4 TE.

So with Putzier gone and not knowing jack about the 4th TE on the roster it is well concievable that the Texans will carry 6 WR and 3 TE. The reason I went through all this is to say picking the rookie WR is not a bad idea since I do think one of the younger WR will make the team.

Since I can not pick Molden since he was a 3rd round pick and I going to go with second year guy Abbate as our second FB to be on the roster once camp breaks, with Cook being the odd man out.
Old 06-02-2008   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Right now there is 3 FB and 4 TE on the roster. With 11 WR currently there.

TE - Daniels, Dressen and Bruener will all make the team. The 4th guy Ryan Krause I know nothing about so I do not think he will be on the team.

FB - The team carried two last year all year and the year before we had Cook going into the season and injuries in abled the team to find Leach. So I am sure they will keep two, with Cook and Abbate fighting it out for the second FB position.

WR - If we only keep 5 it would be Andre` Johnson, Andre` Davis, Jacoby Jones, Kevin Walter and David Anderson? Last season we had 6 WR catch a pass and that includes Mathis and also for the time Johnson was out.

Indy had 6 WR catch a pass and 3 TE and 4 RB/FB It looks like they carried about the same compliment we did last year, which does include 4 TE.

So with Putzier gone and not knowing jack about the 4th TE on the roster it is well concievable that the Texans will carry 6 WR and 3 TE. The reason I went through all this is to say picking the rookie WR is not a bad idea since I do think one of the younger WR will make the team.

Since I can not pick Molden since he was a 3rd round pick and I going to go with second year guy Abbate as our second FB to be on the roster once camp breaks, with Cook being the odd man out.
I hope you're right Spec. He was my guy last year. Although, it seems everytime his name is brought up to Kubiak, he goes off on a tangent about how many FB's they have and how hard it's going to be to make the team this year...yada....yada...yada. The writing might be forming on the wall for Abbate. Abbate's a banger so things might change when the pads are strapped on, but for now it looks like Abbate is the odd man out.

The dude's got the heart and I hope for the best for him.
Old 06-02-2008   #14
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I agree. The dude hasn't even been on the field enough to make an impression much less a roster spot.

I'm not really pulling for any UDFA's, but if I was I guess it'd be LB Ben Moffit. Other than D-Ryans, the position continues to be a weakness of our defense.
Off topic for a minute:
The same could be said for secondary. So I am hoping that the additions to LB such as Thompson, Bentley and the additions to secondary such as Reeves, Molden will bolster both units and prove to be very insightful, even if it is just good depth. *crosses fingers*

On topic:

I think it is great when teams uncover those guys that barely made the cut and end up being key contributors. And I just have a hunch about Mullen, I like the big play ability. And I know it's a long shot especially at WR, but what in life isn't. If he gets parked on the PS, then it will be nice to have him available if we get banged up at WR. I should point out, I really like Anderson too, but I don't think we carry 6 WR's, I do feel like 5 is possible.
Old 06-02-2008   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
Let's not forget that Anderson was a 7th rd draft pick of the Texans and he has that CSU connection!
When you add Harry Williams, Grice-Mulllen looks to have a difficult time.
He'll have to compete with the versatile Darnell Jenkins as well.

Adibi and Okam make the squad.

Let's say we have these guys a LB:
DeMeco, Greenwood, Diles, Bentley, Thompson, Adibi.

There could be an open slot for a guy like Ben Moffitt.
That guy is a player. (He probably didn't get drafted because of the story about his personal/academic life.)
Especially if they plan to use Thompson as they used Orr to rush the QB at times.

This could affect Nading (I like the guys), if we have Mario, Weaver, Kalu, Cochran.
We might keep another DE, again if he has that CSU tie (just kidding).

Another guy I kinda pull for is DelJuan Robinson DT from last year.
I think that guy has a good motor also, but he looks a bit slow to me.
(The HT site says that he can also play end.)
It seems Kubiak kinda give Bulman a nod though, so it will be tough for Robinson.

Almost an afterthought is Derrick Robertson at CB.
That guy has blazing speed.
And I really have much doubts about Jacques Reeves (after reviewing 7 or 8 Cowboys games already.)
Molden looks like he can cover the big receivers 6'2-6'5 200-210 lbs with speed around 4.50 and up (from the Texas vs the Nation bowl game.)
But with the absence of Dunta, Robertson may have a slight chance.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #16
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Can I be greedy and say all of them?
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Can I be greedy and say all of them?
Like the old college days, when teams had well over 100 guys on their rosters? LOL!
Old 06-02-2008   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Something interesting on Jesse Nading on HT.com:

"Attended ThunderRidge High School in Highlands Ranch, Colo.…named the state's Class 4A Defensive Player of the Year in 2002 by the Denver Post ...two-time all-state football selection, also was chosen to all-state basketball and baseball teams in 2002...helped ThunderRidge to 2002 and 2003 state basketball titles in Class 4A…led ThunderRidge to 2001 state 4A football championship…named the ThunderRidge Interscholastic Award winner for excellence in athletics and education."

Even though it's only 4A, but the guy ought to be quite athletic (and smart).
Old 06-02-2008   #19
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i also would like to see Harry Williams do well. But I would be more excited about finding a breakout guy in the positions we have questions at right now so I'll vote Adibi or one of the Brandons.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Why did they not take Derrick Robertson's name off the roster when they have already waived him 4-5 days ago?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read