Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-12-2008   #141
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Oh man! Okam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIS View Post
Well said. You're absolutely right about Va Tech not being a Penn State type program. While there have been a few productive Hokie LBs (Cornell Brown, Victor Jones, Ben Taylor), none could be considered great.

The overriding caveat to saying that Va Tech LBs aren't made for the NFL is the fact that the Hokie defense, working out of a base 4-3, has been a national powerhouse with Adibi on the field. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Adibi to be the next LT, but I do think he has the skill set and attitude to make an impact by his second year.

He could very well prove to be the best fourth round pick in the draft - as well as as the best LB to ever come out of Blacksburg.
VT is not one of those programs screaming fundementals, its based on speed/athleticism, read/reaction. he is a very raw product that the coaches here will have to work really hard to develop vica versa Adibi will have to commit all his God given talent to be someone counted on with the game on the line.

I think Okam stands a better chance to be included in the starting line-up. he is well coached just needs focused, has all the measureables & fills a harder to find need position (DT).

Also nobody is giving Marion Barbers young bro much love. even though the Texans are loaded with Safetys look for Dominique to make an impact, given our injury history maybe even some spot starts. not bad for a 6th rd. pick

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #142
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

After reviewving more than half a dozen VTech's game, I was quite impressed with Adibi's overall skills, athleticism, and awareness of the game flow.

One knock; however, is his strenght. Sometimes, he can be neutralized a bit too easy by a Olineman or TE. His bench press reps of 18 confirmed that. Adibi also needs to learn more as how to avoid those big bodies, given that they are even faster and stronger at the next level.

He will be at least a solid backup.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #143
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I forgot about Ben Taylor, who did get some starts in 2003 and 2005 in Cleveland. He gets the distinction of being the most successful ex-VT linebacker in the NFL since Beamer/Foster arrived, though 218 tackles is all he ever recorded in the pro's.

Victor Jones was a senior when Beamer/Foster were hired, so I'm not sure I could credit them for his development.

Cornell Brown had a longer career than Taylor, though I don't think he ever started for the Ravens. Nevertheless, Brown never played LB for VT; he was an undersized defensive end (and a darned good one) who had to switch to LB to have a chance in the NFL.

VT had a dominant defense for all four of Adibi's years there, and he (along with Vince Hall) was the star of the show, but theirs was a hyper-aggressive scheme that preyed on teams with lousy QB play. And by "teams with lousy QB play", I'm referring pretty much to the entire ACC and most of the cream-puffs that made up their non-conference schedule. On the occasions that a multi-faceted offense forced them to play more honestly, they (and Adibi) looked ordinary. For proof of that, see what LSU and Kansas did to them last season.

Still, Adibi and Hall were the two best VT linebackers I've ever seen in my 30+ years as a fan of their chief rival. Adibi was a great playmaker, and I hope that ability translates to the NFL.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #144
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Anyone who would claim that Okam had a mediocre college career just didn't watch the University of Texas Longhorns play football. He was a Top 15 pick in many mock drafts as late as December. His senior season numbers suffered due to the Longhorn defense being relatively porous against top competition and his workouts werent that great and the 'law school' possibility scared off some teams. He needs to improve his balance and learn to get his root down a little better. I think he needs to hit the weight room and work on them calves. His calves seem to be a little out of proportion with the rest of his body.

Bottom line was the guy was doubleteamed often but the UT linebacking corps was too anemic to fill the gaps. Thus UT's defense was subpar by most standards and his stock dropped from that as well.

I was ecstatic that they got him in the 4th and would have been happy if they would have even picked him in the 3rd Round. If he pans out we could really have the makings of a dominant DL and could emulate the NY Giants success in 07 with a little seasoning and playoff experience.
If critics only watch one game like the Holiday Bowl, they can say that he had a very so-so game. They can say that he had a below-verage game, I won't counter that either.

They can even say that he takes some plays off.
While some Longhorns were still playing with enthusiasm in the 4th quarter, others (including Okam) were somewhat floating with the motion. The Horns were up by a ton by that time. The poor Sun Devil's QB had been on his hind all day long.

It was time for Okam to move on to greener pasture.

On the other hand, I believe TJ's play had improved.
But if he wants to remain in the top 12 salaries on the roster, he can't afford to slip.
Old 06-12-2008   #145
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
I forgot about Ben Taylor, who did get some starts in 2003 and 2005 in Cleveland. He gets the distinction of being the most successful ex-VT linebacker in the NFL since Beamer/Foster arrived, though 218 tackles is all he ever recorded in the pro's.

Victor Jones was a senior when Beamer/Foster were hired, so I'm not sure I could credit them for his development.

Cornell Brown had a longer career than Taylor, though I don't think he ever started for the Ravens. Nevertheless, Brown never played LB for VT; he was an undersized defensive end (and a darned good one) who had to switch to LB to have a chance in the NFL.

VT had a dominant defense for all four of Adibi's years there, and he (along with Vince Hall) was the star of the show, but theirs was a hyper-aggressive scheme that preyed on teams with lousy QB play. And by "teams with lousy QB play", I'm referring pretty much to the entire ACC and most of the cream-puffs that made up their non-conference schedule. On the occasions that a multi-faceted offense forced them to play more honestly, they (and Adibi) looked ordinary. For proof of that, see what LSU and Kansas did to them last season.

Still, Adibi and Hall were the two best VT linebackers I've ever seen in my 30+ years as a fan of their chief rival. Adibi was a great playmaker, and I hope that ability translates to the NFL.
Thanks for the insights!
Old 06-12-2008   #146
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
"Never" is a pretty extreme statement. Would you care to reconsider? Or were you being sarcastic?

Look up which round Michael Turner, Jake Scott, Gibril Wilson, and Robert Mathis were drafted in. I think they "panned out".

Again, if you were being sarcastic, sorry for messing up the humor.
It's all good, your sarcasm detector is on the fritz again

But yes, good play can come from any round in the draft, including the undrafted round. I feel that Okam had just as many credentials coming into the draft, until the combine. As a 5th rounder, he's either boom or bust, and with the praise that some of the coaches are giving him, I have hope. I don't think he'll totally take over TJ's spot, but I believe that with the Texans taking DT's in 2 out of the 3 drafts that Kubiak has had, TJ is probably on notice.

If TJ is hurt during training camp, that could spell real problems for him keeping ahold of his NT spot in the starting lineup, and could end up becoming a rotation guy.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #147
Polo

When he healed he'd just take his spot back
Sponsored links
Old 06-12-2008   #148
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIS View Post
Right on. Where a lot of people saw Duane Brown as a stretch in the first, I think we can all agree that we picked up some potential gems in the mid-rounds with Slaton, Adibi, and Okam.
without a doubt. as for late rounds picks producing, you dont even have to BE drafted to make an impact. just ask willie parker. he went from UDFA to worldchampion franchiseback in just a few yrs. one things for sure, u cant coach athleticism...and that is something that Parker and our draft has in spades. Other than the Duane Brown selection (which ironically came across as a Russell Maryland type selection..'maybe not best player available but the coach knew he could get something out of him) the draft came off like a Jimmy Johnson type draft. Speed and athleticism seemed to be the overriding factor throughout the whole draft...not like that is unique but it seemed like we got what most people would perceive as good value throughout the draft after the selection of Brown in the 1st Round (and im not knocking Brown just saying he was taken earlier than most had projected but even accepting that as fact you still have to look at his as what was most coveted by Gibbs and Kubes.)

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 06-12-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #149
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

While I am pumped with Okam's selection, to give him TJ's spot is not clear thinking in my book. Yes, Okam should push Johnson and may even beat him out but that is simply projecting. Let's give TJ credit for last season and hopefully he will have a good year with Okam strengthening the team. With a healthy Weaver and Colvin, the entire Dline should be improved, even MW.
Old 07-23-2008   #150
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

I found this chat transcript of Okam on ESPN

Frank Okam aka "The Nightmare"

Okam Chat
Old 07-23-2008   #151
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Yeah, I'm sure the guy who's "too smart to play NFL football" didn't know how to read the label on his creatine. The guy was fat and out of shape - it happens to all of us, pro athletes or not. LOL

This guy's gonna be the steal of the draft, I tell ya. Travis Johnson better get his injury issues worked out, or he's gonna be watching from the bench.
I don't know if he'll be a steal or not, but I did predict in another thread that I think he has the POTENTIAL to be the Texans best draft pick considering where we got him. He hasn't played a down yet, so I think many of you guys are way ahead of yourselves as far outright claiming this guy is already a steal.

Remember that for the last two years at Texas he was supposed to be their best player on the D-line and some thought he would be the best player on defense period. He never measured up, and under achieved big time.

I just feel like their has to be some sort of reason as to why Texas thought he was going to be so freaking good. They gave him the nick name "The Nightmare", and we never saw a nightmare player.

For some reason though, I have a good feeling about him right now though. He probably expected to be a high draft pick out of college and figured that he would get a big signing bonus and all, and that obviously didn't happen so maybe he finally got the motivation that he needed to dominate. It's great to hear that he lost a lot of weight and continues to. I do think that he'll make an impact this year, but how big of one, we'll just have to wait and see.

Again though, he does have very strong potential to be a big time steal. Let's hope for the best
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #152
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Remember that for the last two years at Texas he was supposed to be their best player on the D-line and some thought he would be the best player on defense period. He never measured up, and under achieved big time.

I just feel like their has to be some sort of reason as to why Texas thought he was going to be so freaking good. They gave him the nick name "The Nightmare", and we never saw a nightmare player.very strong potential to be a big time steal. Let's hope for the best
Texas is notorious for getting blue chip Dlineman and never having them quite reach full potential until they reach the next level.....most of their Dlineman end up being steals in the draft.

I don't know what it is...I think it's the coaching at Texas and the fact that they baby their players too much. When these lineman get to the NFL somebody lights a fire under their rear and gets production out of them. Rodrique Wright is a good example.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #153
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Texas is notorious for getting blue chip Dlineman and never having them quite reach full potential until they reach the next level.....most of their Dlineman end up being steals in the draft.

I don't know what it is...I think it's the coaching at Texas and the fact that they baby their players too much. When these lineman get to the NFL somebody lights a fire under their rear and gets production out of them. Rodrique Wright is a good example.

You know Carr Bombed I was thinking about ole Rodrique Wright while making my last post. I loved that guy at Texas. Now he was everything that Okam was supposed to be.

Where is Wright right now though? As far as my knowledge, he hasn't done anything. It wasn't his fault though, because right before the draft the doctors found a real bad injury in his upper body that no one knew he had. It was weird, because he played all season with it, and didn't even know. Is he even on a team's roster right now? And if so, is he finally healthy to your knowledge?
Old 07-23-2008   #154
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You know Carr Bombed I was thinking about ole Rodrique Wright while making my last post. I loved that guy at Texas. Now he was everything that Okam was supposed to be.

Where is Wright right now though? As far as my knowledge, he hasn't done anything. It wasn't his fault though, because right before the draft the doctors found a real bad injury in his upper body that no one knew he had. It was weird, because he played all season with it, and didn't even know. Is he even on a team's roster right now? And if so, is he finally healthy to your knowledge?
Actually Rodrique Wright...while not as disappointing as Okam, didn't quite live up to the billing either. he was a first round lock, (just like Okam after his freshman and sophmore seasons) then after a disapointing junior and senior season (like Okam) Wright fell all the way to the 7th round in the NFL draft.

He has since come into the league and beat out everybody in front of him and is now a major piece on the Dolphins Dline and is a every down starter.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 07-23-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2008   #155
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Actually Rodrique Wright...while not as disappointing as Okam, didn't quite live up to the billing either. he was a first round, (just like Okam after his freshman and sophmore seasons) then after a disapointing junior and senior season (like Okam) Wright fell all the way to the 7th round in the NFL draft.

He has since come into the league and beat out everybody in front of him and is now a major piece on the Dolphins Dline and is a every down starter.
That is great to hear about Wright, and not surprising either. Like I said, they found a broken bone or something in his upper body that they never knew about and he never even felt it.

I disagree with you about him in his Senior season though. I thought he played really well, and made a lot BIG plays that year when Texas won the National Championship. It was Wright, Crowder, and Robison tearing teams apart that season on the D line. That sure was a fun defense to watch with Griffin brothers, Huff, Tarell Brown, and Ced Griffin in the secondary.
Old 07-23-2008   #156
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I disagree with you about him in his Senior season though. I thought he played really well, and made a lot BIG plays that year when Texas won the National Championship. It was Wright, Crowder, and Robison tearing teams apart that season on the D line. That sure was a fun defense to watch with Griffin brothers, Huff, Tarell Brown, and Ced Griffin in the secondary.
Well if you liked Wright's senior season...then you should feel there's hope for Okam to become the next steal Dlineman out of Texas.

R. Wright's senior season season at Texas...

46 tcks, 14 TFL, and 4.5 sacks in 13 games played

F. Okam's senior season at Texas

49 tcks, 10TFL, and 5 sacks in 12 games played. (and that was while Okam was overweight while having his dedication to football being questioned.)

Again, I still don't think the coaches at Texas do a good enough job at coaching and pulling all the talent out of their players. Mack Brown does a great job at recruiting players....a fantastic job at that, but he's kinda overrated in other departments.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 07-23-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-23-2008   #157
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well if you liked Wright's senior season...then you should feel there's hope for Okam to become the next steal Dlineman out of Texas.

49 tcks, 10TFL, and 5 sacks in 12 games played. (and that was while Okam was overweight while having his dedication to football being questioned.)
Eh! I guess you pulled one over my head on that one.

I just thought that Wright seemed more active and made bigger plays. I remember him making a huge TD play as well, and he also had Robison and Crowder to make it easier for him.

I was glad that we drafted Okam, and like I said before I predict that he might end up being out best pick out of the entire draft.
Old 07-23-2008   #158
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post

With all the positives I gave Adibi, I kept reminding all the knock about him not being strong enough to get off the TE/Lineman's blocks.

When you mentioned Kansas, I knew there was something I wanted to bring up, but I needed to see more before I take down a guy.

So I went back to review the KS game and also the VA game (I was waiting for that second one).

Now, I would say another thing I'd like to see Adibi work on is to stay agressive at least until the whistle blow. He would slow down when he thought a teammate would make the tackle "for sure". There's nothing for sure.

Just like in basketball, I want a guy who keeps with the action, you can't assume that an easy layup or a dunk is automatic.
Or in soccer, you can't assume that the goalkeeper will gather the ball in cleanly simply because the shot on goal was too soft.
Got to stay with it at least until the whistle blow, what I always say!
Old 07-23-2008   #159
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Again, I still don't think the coaches at Texas do a good enough job at coaching and pulling all the talent out of their players. Mack Brown does a great job at recruiting players....a fantastic job at that, but he's kinda overrated in other departments.
Ya need to make up your mind about who was more disappointing (to you) and why.

I simply do not have a clear idea of what you were trying to say.
Can you try me again, please, thank you!
Old 07-24-2008   #160
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Ya need to make up your mind about who was more disappointing (to you) and why.

I simply do not have a clear idea of what you were trying to say.
Can you try me again, please, thank you!
You must've misread my post or point in this thread, because this wasn't a Wright vs Okam argument, my point was....both guys were highly touted recruits (the kind that Texas gets all the time) and both guys sank like rocks in the draft. I never set out to prove who was more disappointing, but to prove that while Texas can recruit top lineman, they sure as hell fail at getting them to reach their full potential and become finished products. Pretty much my point was that the "Texas" staff stinks at maximizing the talent that they bring in on the Dline, but NFL programs/coaches reek the benefits later.

Texas pretty much has become the school where you can draft low and expect high results when it comes to Dlineman.

P.S.

This was never a Okam vs Wright thread, sorry you got misguided.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 07-24-2008 at 03:01 AM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read