Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-09-2008   #121
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Oh man! Okam!

We're just bored and waiting for football to start.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #122
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. Seems like I have read these same posts before.....We could insert David Carr's name in for TJ's name on half of these posts.

While TJ has been here and playing as a Houston Texan,

2004 rookie season, not a starter, NT. Texans finish 13th in rushing Defense
2005 I believe he started most of the season with Paynes tearing his ACL. we finished 32nd in rush Defense.
2006 we finished 20th in rush defense
2007 we finished 19th

Clearly the Texans have never been good in the run. Has it all been TJ's fault? No. But if he was the future than he should have been able to stand out in a sea of turds for all those years. Instead he blended in.

Again, he's not a run stopper and he's not a pass rusher. He's depth.

And I don't personally see OKam as a Sam Adams or a Goose type player. I see him as a Haynesworth, Stroud, or Henderson type player.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #123
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just reviewed another UT game, this one against Nebraska.

More of the same from Okam.
- In the lineup introduction, his teammate specifically said that "you need to put two guys on him".
- Shows up in the 4th quarter.
- Can shed the double teams to make plays at times.
- Quick and athletic.
- Can lose balance when get hit from the side.

I have no doubt when Kubiak said that Okam has a chance to contribute VERY EARLY.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #124
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
And this is not the religious section. Bring on the popcorn! I have to go with POLO on this. I think TJ was the best DT last season after a "come to Jesus meeting" with Kubes. No reason for Okam to best TJ but it is possible. I also think Mario and Demeco will have a few words of encouragement for TJ. Let's hold out for the positive. The defense can take huge strides this year if our DBs do ok. Even Dream Weaver may do better if healthy.
Old 06-11-2008   #125
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post

Because we had such a young, deep, talented D-line rotation ?

Because every late rd. draft pick is supposed to come in and replace a starter ?

If Okam takes T.J.'s place because he's the better man...excellent...we got better....

I'm just saying "I don't think" it will happen...
No, you're saying "It won't happen" there's no thinking when you start posting.

Next up, I'd be a TJ fan too if he showed even one iota of being able to
  • Control the line of scrimmage
  • Make plays in the backfield that didn't result in a penalty
  • Play better his rookie and sophomore years
  • Not turn into a "fragile" player
  • Stop a run
  • Pressure a QB

You guys can get back to me when he does some or all of those things. Until then, I'll look to the future for what I want the Texans NT to be, thank you, and goodnight.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #126
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

I think Okam has TJ in spades. The only thing that TJ has going for him is his experience playing under Franklin and Bush last year.

Aside from having the better frame from which to build, Okam has a much better head on his shoulders. I'd put a hell of a lot more faith in Okam "getting it" than I ever would TJ.

As far as Okam having a mediocre college career, that's a laugher. Statistically, Okam had one of the best college careers of the 2008 draft class(at the DT position). You got to remember that Okam, at one point last year, was rated as a first day draft pick. His stock took a hit on rumors of him wanting to pursue law school. Then it plummeted when he showed up near 350 at the combine and further cemented the notion that he wasn't serious about football.

In the past few months, he has slimmed down to the 330 range and made strides in mini-camp and OTAs. Suffice to say, I think the kid has what it takes to supplant TJ in the starting lineup.

Say word.

Last edited by SOLIS; 06-11-2008 at 07:49 PM.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #127
Polo

Quote:
You guys can get back to me when he does some or all of those things.
Get back at me when Okam supplants him...
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2008   #128
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

What's the big problem there's room enough for both of them. Keeps 'em fresher.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #129
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Get back at me when Okam supplants him...
Oh trust me, you know I will.
Old 06-11-2008   #130
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIS View Post
I think Okam has TJ in spades. The only thing that TJ has going for him is his experience playing under Franklin and Bush last year.

Aside from having the better frame from which to build, Okam is a much better head on his shoulders. I'd put a hell of a lot more faith in Okam "getting it" than I ever would TJ.

As far as Okam having a mediocre college career, that's a laugher. Statistically, Okam had one of the best college careers of the 2008 draft class(at the DT position). You got to remember that Okam, at one point last year, was rated as a first day draft pick. His stock took a hit on rumors of him wanting to pursue law school. Then it plummeted when he showed up near 350 at the combine and further cemented the notion that he wasn't serious about football.

In the past few months, he has slimmed down to the 330 range and made strides in mini-camp and OTAs. Suffice to say, I think the kid has what it takes to supplant TJ in the starting lineup.
Anyone who would claim that Okam had a mediocre college career just didn't watch the University of Texas Longhorns play football. He was a Top 15 pick in many mock drafts as late as December. His senior season numbers suffered due to the Longhorn defense being relatively porous against top competition and his workouts werent that great and the 'law school' possibility scared off some teams. He needs to improve his balance and learn to get his root down a little better. I think he needs to hit the weight room and work on them calves. His calves seem to be a little out of proportion with the rest of his body.

Bottom line was the guy was doubleteamed often but the UT linebacking corps was too anemic to fill the gaps. Thus UT's defense was subpar by most standards and his stock dropped from that as well.

I was ecstatic that they got him in the 4th and would have been happy if they would have even picked him in the 3rd Round. If he pans out we could really have the makings of a dominant DL and could emulate the NY Giants success in 07 with a little seasoning and playoff experience.
Old 06-11-2008   #131
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I was ecstatic that they got him in the 4th and would have been happy if they would have even picked him in the 3rd Round. If he pans out we could really have the makings of a dominant DL and could emulate the NY Giants success in 07 with a little seasoning and playoff experience.
Dude. They got him in the 5th. Adibi was in the 4th.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #132
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
my bad. even better then. i didn't see a lot of VTech but I heard Adibi was one of the fastest LBs available.
Old 06-11-2008   #133
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Because they got him in the 5th he is now considered no better than backup material and has no shot of making any sort of difference whatsoever. 5th rounders never pan out NEVER.

NEVER
Old 06-11-2008   #134
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
my bad. even better then. i didn't see a lot of VTech but I heard Adibi was one of the fastest LBs available.
Adibi was a true fan favorite at Va Tech. He didn't run as fast as some thought he should have at the combine, but heading into the draft, Adibi a second rounder on a handful of reputable mocks.

Bud Foster, Va Tech Defensive Coordinator (and not to mention, one of the best coaches in college football) said that Adibi might be the "fastest and most athletic linebacker that he has ever had the opportunity to coach". That's saying something considering the amount of talent the "Lunch Pail Defense" has had over the years.

Say word.
Old 06-11-2008   #135
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Adibi was a true fan favorite at Va Tech. He didn't run as fast as some thought he should have at the combine, but heading into the draft, Adibi a second rounder on a handful of reputable mocks.
Just to supplant your points, on forums that include fans of all football teams, we held mock drafts with 32 posters that made picks, and Adibi consistently went in rounds 2 and 3 (I actually picked him in one mock with our 3rd rounder).
Old 06-11-2008   #136
SOLIS
United We Stand

Quote:
Just to supplant your points, on forums that include fans of all football teams, we held mock drafts with 32 posters that made picks, and Adibi consistently went in rounds 2 and 3 (I actually picked him in one mock with our 3rd rounder).
Right on. Where a lot of people saw Duane Brown as a stretch in the first, I think we can all agree that we picked up some potential gems in the mid-rounds with Slaton, Adibi, and Okam.

Say word.
Old 06-12-2008   #137
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Because they got him in the 5th he is now considered no better than backup material and has no shot of making any sort of difference whatsoever. 5th rounders never pan out NEVER.

NEVER
"Never" is a pretty extreme statement. Would you care to reconsider? Or were you being sarcastic?

Look up which round Michael Turner, Jake Scott, Gibril Wilson, and Robert Mathis were drafted in. I think they "panned out".

Again, if you were being sarcastic, sorry for messing up the humor.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #138
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Looked like sarcasm to me. Especially since he was taking up for Okam.
Old 06-12-2008   #139
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Bud Foster, Va Tech Defensive Coordinator (and not to mention, one of the best coaches in college football) said that Adibi might be the "fastest and most athletic linebacker that he has ever had the opportunity to coach". That's saying something considering the amount of talent the "Lunch Pail Defense" has had over the years.
I just can't let this one go without comment. The next great (or even good) NFL linebacker that VT produces will be the program's first. They've had only marginally more success with defensive linemen. No doubt that Foster is a great coordinator, but his track record of producing NFL talent (other than DBs) is not good. I guess that makes his success in Bleaksburg all the more impressive.

Adibi is just like most VT linebackers but more so. He runs like the wind--albeit not quite up to the standards of VT's notoriously-inflated 40 times predict--and is hell-on-wheels in an attacking scheme. He dominated throughout his career as he faced very few QB's who could hurt Foster's pressure-at-all-costs schemes (ACC QB play has been horrendous since Schaub and Philip Rivers left in 2003). The question is whether Adibi can survive in a more honest scheme against NFL offenses.

That said, I was pleased as punch when we got him in the fourth round and look forward to seeing what he can do now that he no longer wears that nauseating maroon-and-orange.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #140
SOLIS
United We Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
I just can't let this one go without comment. The next great (or even good) NFL linebacker that VT produces will be the program's first. They've had only marginally more success with defensive linemen. No doubt that Foster is a great coordinator, but his track record of producing NFL talent (other than DBs) is not good. I guess that makes his success in Bleaksburg all the more impressive.

Adibi is just like most VT linebackers but more so. He runs like the wind--albeit not quite up to the standards of VT's notoriously-inflated 40 times predict--and is hell-on-wheels in an attacking scheme. He dominated throughout his career as he faced very few QB's who could hurt Foster's pressure-at-all-costs schemes (ACC QB play has been horrendous since Schaub and Philip Rivers left in 2003). The question is whether Adibi can survive in a more honest scheme against NFL offenses.

That said, I was pleased as punch when we got him in the fourth round and look forward to seeing what he can do now that he no longer wears that nauseating maroon-and-orange.
Well said. You're absolutely right about Va Tech not being a Penn State type program. While there have been a few productive Hokie LBs (Cornell Brown, Victor Jones, Ben Taylor), none could be considered great.

The overriding caveat to saying that Va Tech LBs aren't made for the NFL is the fact that the Hokie defense, working out of a base 4-3, has been a national powerhouse with Adibi on the field. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Adibi to be the next LT, but I do think he has the skill set and attitude to make an impact by his second year.

He could very well prove to be the best fourth round pick in the draft - as well as as the best LB to ever come out of Blacksburg.

Say word.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read