Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-08-2008   #101
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Oh man! Okam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Peyton Manning will shock everyone and retire before the season. He's simply burned out. The Colts will replace him with David Carr, who they believe have the talent to take them to another Superbowl.
I was just reading the Colts message board and they are saying that Payton may retire so he can head the Eli Manning fan club.

There are also reports that a deal is in the works between the Colts and Giants for David Carr. Eli has reported to have said that David Carr bought VY's "IT" off EBAY.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #102
Polo

yeah....

I'll be coming back to this thread towards the end of the year for a good laugh....

Okam starting over TJ this yr....LMAO!
Old 06-08-2008   #103
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Just imagine how sick we'd all be if it actually happened--if some coach on a divisional rival actually found a way to get his head straight.
Sigmund Freud couldn't get that boy's head straight
okay, maybe he could get his head straight but Freud was a lousy football coach. I think he still believes in the Veer
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #104
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
yeah....

I'll be coming back to this thread towards the end of the year for a good laugh....

Probably not at the beginning of the year, but if Okam improves over the course of the season then I wouldn't be surprised to see him start at some point.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #105
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah....

Okay buddy thanks for the input!
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #106
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

they are different types of players with different skill sets. it's not even remotely unreasonable to think that okam could start instead of TJ. it could depend completely on who is lined up across from them as much as anything else.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #107
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Sigmund Freud couldn't get that boy's head straight
okay, maybe he could get his head straight but Freud was a lousy football coach. I think he still believes in the Veer
I wonder what Freud would say about his white gloves?
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-08-2008   #108
Polo

Guys....

Think about it....

Expecting Okam to start is expecting a fifth rd. rookie with a mediocre college career to come in and take the place of a guy who was our best DT last yr...

Even if TJ weren't the DT in question, Okam would have a hard time supplanting whoever it was...

He's a fifth rd rookie who had a so-so college career and you guys think he's gonna come in here and be a legit run stopping space eating, not gonna give up an inch DT ?

LMAO!!!

Okam will be a good body to have in the rotation next yr...

I think folks are letting their dislike or bias towards TJ cloud their judgement...

He's actually a really good ball player...Too bad y'all refuse to see that///
Old 06-08-2008   #109
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Guys....

Think about it....

Expecting Okam to start is expecting a fifth rd. rookie with a mediocre college career to come in and take the place of a guy who was our best DT last yr...

Even if TJ weren't the DT in question, Okam would have a hard time supplanting whoever it was...

He's a fifth rd rookie who had a so-so college career and you guys think he's gonna come in here and be a legit run stopping space eating, not gonna give up an inch DT ?

LMAO!!!

I think folks are letting their dislike or bias towards TJ cloud their judgement...

There's a difference between having an average player who had a so-so career and a talented player that had a so-so career. Okam is extremely talented. He is probably more talented than Travis Johnson. What the Texans have to do is allow him to use that talent to his advantage. I think Okam is going to do extremely well with the Texans and will eventually supplant Travis Johnson. Maybe not this year (though I wouldn't be completely surprised if he did) but in time I think he will.

As far as TJ being a really good player, I wouldn't go that far. He's an average NFL defensive tackle. Not great. Not awful. Just average.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #110
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
There's a difference between having an average player who had a so-so career and a talented player that had a so-so career. Okam is extremely talented. He is probably more talented than Travis Johnson. What the Texans have to do is allow him to use that talent to his advantage. I think Okam is going to do extremely well with the Texans and will eventually supplant Travis Johnson. Maybe not this year (though I wouldn't be completely surprised if he did) but in time I think he will.

As far as TJ being a really good player, I wouldn't go that far. He's an average NFL defensive tackle. Not great. Not awful. Just average.
I think everyone in the NFL is extremely talented, or rather was once believed to be extremely talented. Only a handful can take that talent and do something with it in the pros. TJ had a successful run in college and is more than adequate in the pros (like most college stars).
Both guys will be given a chance and let the better man win. Or ideally for us they feed off of each other and the rotation becomes an overnight success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #111
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

TJ is just average at best in the pros. I guess that is all we need from him right now.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #112
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Guys....

Think about it....

LMAO!!!

I'm glad TJ has a fan and all but you sound kind of like a goober when you state everything as though you have seen the future.

Fact is, if TJ was such a great player Frank Okam probably wouldn't have been drafted at all.

EDIT: Or Amobi Okoye for that matter.
Old 06-08-2008   #113
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Here's proof that you don't know what you're talking about

For people who don't want to click the link, I'll just give the headline to the story:

Johnson heeds warning
Kubiak's words strike chord with Texans tackle

I cliked on the link and got houston chronicle.com but then a message that the site could not be opened. Maybe you have to be registered to read the site.

Could you provide a quote from the article where Kubiak states that TJ has been lazy, unmotivated, and close to being cut.

Or was that just the words/opinion of the writer?

All you TJ haters are going to have to do some "polagizin" to TJ this year.

Old 06-08-2008   #114
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
I cliked on the link and got houston chronicle.com but then a message that the site could not be opened. Maybe you have to be registered to read the site.

Could you provide a quote from the article where Kubiak states that TJ has been lazy, unmotivated, and close to being cut.

Okay, I'll believe you. Here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chron
In the offseason, coach Gary Kubiak called in defensive tackle Travis Johnson and told him the Texans staff was not happy with his work ethic or his conditioning, and if the former No. 1 pick wanted to be part of this season's team he would have to change his approach.

Kubiak got Johnson's attention.

"They said they weren't pleased with the way I was working, so I figured I'd just take it back to the old school, take it back to what got me here," Johnson, 25, said. "So while everyone else was still drooling on the pillow, I got up at 4:30, got to the stadium at 5 and started working. And I'm still working.

"I guess that, eventually, you've got to look in the mirror and say, 'I'm the one that's causing me to not do these things. The only person that can stop Travis is Travis.'
Now, don't ever accuse me of just parroting crap when you haven't done any research on the subject. Don't let your blind love for one player make you think that other people on this board are below you.

EDIT: And if you think I'm going to apologize for a player who played like complete garbage his first year, and then began to get injury plagued his second year, and had to have his new HC come in and chew him out just to get him motivated, you're out of your mind.

Last edited by b0ng; 06-08-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-08-2008   #115
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post

I'm certainly not a TJ hater. I thought that last season he was our 2nd best defensive lineman. However, he doesn't seem to have the full faith of the coaches, like Okoye does. Second, despite his very solid play last year, he often was unable to control the line of scrimmage. He's just not a stout run-stuffer, though he made a lot of players in the run game- just not by pushing the OL... Therefore, I feel confident that if Okam makes the squad, he'll see significant playing time on short yardage situations, likely at the expense of TJ.

by the way, it's been well documented on these boards that I'm not a UT homer. I just realize the need for a real run stuffer who can occupy linemen.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #116
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

If you guys are looking for Okam to be a Sam Adams/Tony Siragusa (sp?) type, incredible bulk, run stopper, I think you're mistaken. Can he be an asset to our D-line? No doubt in my mind. A big dude like that with the quickness he's capable of... I'm thinking he'll be tough to keep blocked. But I don't see him tying up 3 guys like Adams used to.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #117
Polo

Quote:
I'm glad TJ has a fan and all but you sound kind of like a goober when you state everything as though you have seen the future.
Your comprehension needs work.

Normally people who see the future don't use words like "opinion" or "if", and phrases like "I think".

Quote:
Fact is, if TJ was such a great player Frank Okam probably wouldn't have been drafted at all.

LOL....

Because we had such a young, deep, talented D-line rotation ?

Because every late rd. draft pick is supposed to come in and replace a starter ?

If Okam takes T.J.'s place because he's the better man...excellent...we got better....

I'm just saying "I don't think" it will happen...
Old 06-09-2008   #118
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Wow! Great insight.

If Sage and Matt were such great players then I suppose Brink wouldn't have been drafted.
Old 06-09-2008   #119
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Quote:
Okay, I'll believe you. Here you go:

Now, don't ever accuse me of just parroting crap when you haven't done any research on the subject. Don't let your blind love for one player make you think that other people on this board are below you.
EDIT: And if you think I'm going to apologize for a player who played like complete garbage his first year, and then began to get injury plagued his second year, and had to have his new HC come in and chew him out just to get him motivated, you're out of your mind.

Been told that before...

What did I say to make you think that I believed other people on this board are below me. We are just discussing football/players here.

I could say the same about you for your apparent dislike of TJ. But I haven't.

You obviously have taken umbrage to the fact that I disagree with you about TJ.

Lighten up or ignore me...or not...don't let it upset you, not saying that you are upset though.

I'm just passing time until the season starts......You?

p.s. Just for the record..I enjoy your posts...at least most of them...

Old 06-09-2008   #120
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope TJ and Okam show up to training camp with the same fire their supporters have shown in this thread.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read