Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-05-2008   #61
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 96327 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Oh man! Okam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
You are right but I was also going by the not just them moving you but you also having the ability to move them. Muscle plus fat is a good thing.
Muscle + Fat + Quickness = Even better thing

Honestly, this talk about size/weight is moot if the agility and quickness is missing. We'll find out more in TC, but for now I don't care how fat he is. I just want him to help this team.

Old 06-05-2008   #62
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
As long as Okam can do this, he will be just fine:

Heheh, I am going to catch that skinny running back and I can do it on one foot. Hey coach? Watch me. Watch me.
Old 06-05-2008   #63
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Does any UT fan knows about his playing weight throughout the years?

I've seen him listed at 320 lbs on a few websites.

NFL Draft Scout specifically had him at 347 lbs at the combine, and at 320 lbs before combine.

And I agree that if the Texans personnel think he should be playing at a certain weight range to fit a particular role the coaches have in mind for him, then he should try that.

IMO, Okam can play both the run and the pass. And if so, the lower weight would probably help him more.

In that case, when Okam is ready, we may even trade away TJ (not that I don't support the guy) to save money for another spot (in FA) next year.
It's just business!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #64
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
In that case, when Okam is ready, we may even trade away TJ (not that I don't support the guy) to save money for another spot (in FA) next year.
It's just business!
I don't really think TJ has any real trade value, outside of some good plays last year he really hasn't been anything steller or consistent and thanks to the "Trent Green incident", he probably carries a bad rap around the league. He's probably is alot more valuable to the Texans as a rotational guy than anything Houston is going to get back for him. Amobi is still light in the britches so it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with Okam and TJ in the middle on obvious running situations. Then once Johnson's contract is up and if Okam turns out to be a legit player, TJ will probably just walk on to FA.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 06-05-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #65
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Uhmm, I think TJ's contract runs through 2011
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #66
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I don't really think TJ has any real trade value, outside of some good plays last year he really hasn't been anything steller or consistent and thanks to the "Trent Green incident", he probably carries a bad rap around the league. He's probably is alot more valuable to the Texans as a rotational guy than anything Houston is going to get back for him. Amobi is still light in the britches so it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with Okam and TJ in the middle on obvious running situations. Then once Johnson's contract is up and if Okam turns out to be a legit player, TJ will probably just walk on to FA.
agree, tj is what he is, he can't do more than what he's already doing. agree with the okam-tj combo, tj won't live up to the 1st rd hype, a 2nd or 3rd would have suited him. his contract isn't up anytime soon though
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #67
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone know if Okam was in the middle of the Lendale White 4th and 1 stuff back in the Rose Bowl?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-05-2008   #68
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
his contract isn't up anytime soon though
Well, he's still under his rookie contract so he's not really killing the cap, plus with the way this staff likes to rotate players on the Dline the depth is nice.
Old 06-05-2008   #69
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX View Post
Anyone know if Okam was in the middle of the Lendale White 4th and 1 stuff back in the Rose Bowl?
According to this site (scroll towards the bottom.....lots of info on that one play) http://www.trojanfootballanalysis.co...owl_4th_2.html (where a upset USC fan has spent hours breaking down that one play) Okam wasn't even on the field...
Old 06-05-2008   #70
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, he's still under his rookie contract so he's not really killing the cap, plus with the way this staff likes to rotate players on the Dline the depth is nice.
agree
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #71
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
According to this site (scroll towards the bottom.....lots of info on that one play) http://www.trojanfootballanalysis.co...owl_4th_2.html (where a upset USC fan has spent hours breaking down that one play) Okam wasn't even on the field...
Ughh, that's got to be painful to re-watch if you're a USC fan. It's like breaking down 35-3...........
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #72
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
well, it does give you more anchor and makes you harder to move, so the extra bulk does mean "something"...but people getting all worried about him at being "only" 330 are overthinking this methinks.
I agree.....

I think the added weight you get from fat making you harder to move is negated by the fact that your wind is shortened, you aren't as athletic, it doesn't make you stronger and it's bad for your health...

I don't think Okam losing a little weight while he's still in his twenties will be a bad thing for him long term...
Old 06-06-2008   #73
Polo

And there's no way Okam is taking TJ's spot...LOL @ that..

I know folks have this dislike for TJ or whatever, but if you remove the guy from our DT rotation they'd be a pretty sad bunch....He's the best DT on the team right now...iiwii....
Old 06-06-2008   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post

I know folks have this dislike for TJ or whatever, but if you remove the guy from our DT rotation they'd be a pretty sad bunch....He's the best DT on the team right now...iiwii....
If Okam can play like we hope he can, he'll earn a starting spot. There are only two spots. Kubiak's boy, and TJ... Unless TJ has a ProBowl year, he's the odd man out.
Old 06-06-2008   #75
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If Okam can play like we hope he can, he'll earn a starting spot. There are only two spots. Kubiak's boy, and TJ... Unless TJ has a ProBowl year, he's the odd man out.
Rotation versus starting is two completely different things. The deffense does need the space eater in there especially on running downs. TJ can easily fill in at either DT spot, I do not think he is very good at one in particular so as a breather type guy he is not bad if that is how he is used.
Old 06-06-2008   #76
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45144 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The voice of one crying out in the wilderness...listen to him and believe.

The Trent Greene 'episode' was a good thing in my book. A Houston Texan finally showed some life. Go get em TJ.

Penalty be damned...don't put up with any b.s. from anyone/anytime.

Old 06-06-2008   #77
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If any player played like we hoped they could we'd have a team full of pro-bowlers.

Could care less about who's boy is who...Kubiak will play the best players...He's proven that...

I seriously doubt Okam outplays T.J. in his first year as a pro, if ever....The potential is definitely there, but the strange itching desire that some have to get rid of TJ is clouding judgement on both players...Building Okam up better than he'll probably be in his first year, and not giving TJ his due....

I like Okam and think he'll be great for our team....

I just don't see him taking a whole lotta snaps away from anyone...Especially not this year...
Old 06-06-2008   #78
Polo

Quote:
Rotation versus starting is two completely different things. The deffense does need the space eater in there especially on running downs. TJ can easily fill in at either DT spot, I do not think he is very good at one in particular so as a breather type guy he is not bad if that is how he is used.

No way is Okam starting over TJ.

You guys may as well get that outta yer heads.
Old 06-06-2008   #79
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No way is Okam starting over TJ.

You guys may as well get that outta yer heads.
Why? Because you said so? The he will not start get it out of your heads argument went out about the time because I said so argument my mom used to use.
Old 06-06-2008   #80
Polo

Quote:
Why? Because you said so?
No.

Because he's not going to be better than him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read