Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-03-2008   #41
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Oh man! Okam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post

He must've up chucked those pizzas.
Listed weights aren't necessarily actual weights. That was probably the weight Williams came in as a rookie. Take a good look at Pat. Does he really look like a 317 lber?

Old 06-03-2008   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Pat Williams (the guy your pimping, weighs 317 pounds.......much lighter than Frank Okam)

and Keith Traylor was so great he only played for 7 different teams through out his career.

As far as Shaun Rodgers, the Lions thought so much of him they decided to let him go........big fat guys are a dime a dozen, big DTs that can stop the run, but are also athletic enough to be a factor against the pass......not so much.

Frank Okam has too much potential than just being situational fat a**, the guy has the ability to be a great player and a probowler. Again 6'5 330 is not too light to stop the run.....after all your hero Pat Williams plays at 13 pounds under that weight and the other guys you listed only weigh 10 pounds more..........do you really think 10 pounds on a 6'5 frame makes a damn bit of difference?
Just like running backs, it's not just weight. It's weight, height, and build. Wide bodies.. go look back through the thread that was started when we found out we got Okam.... A big wide body, that is athletic.. that's what we wanted, and that's what we had.

If he loses any more weight, at 6'5, we might as well move him to defensive end.
Old 06-03-2008   #43
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Listed weights aren't necessarily actual weights. That was probably the weight Williams came in as a rookie. Take a good look at Pat. Does he really look like a 317 lber?

NFL.com does a decent job at adding weight to players since their rookie years, both Westbrook and Portis have been credited at adding weight on that site, so that's not his rookie weight. (hell, look at the job they've already done on Okam, he's listed at 320, while he officially weighed in at 347 during the combine a couple of months ago......the site does a great job at updating it's info.)

Pat is a short guy and while he probably weighs a little over 317, it's not by much.....he looks about 20 pounds heavier than Amobi Okoye who's listed at 302

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 06-03-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #44
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If he loses any more weight, at 6'5, we might as well move him to defensive end.

Yeah, because there's a run on 325 pound DEs aroung the league. Frank Okam is still a big dude and always will be.

There's nothing wrong with Okam getting in shape......I'd rather him be at a playing weight that will allow him to be a playmaker than just being a fat a** who is nothing but a situational player. The Houston Texans have experts on staff that know all about "playing weight" and yet they are encouraging Okam to LOSE WEIGHT.......that should tell you all you need to know about what weight he should be at.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 06-03-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #45
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Okam is one big dude, and he'll be much more effective at a fit 330 than he was as a flabby 347. Of all of the things the Texans have to be concerned over this off-season, Frank Okam being too small is probably not very high on the list.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #46
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as Okam can do this, he will be just fine:

76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #47
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

And I hope he does this:

76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2008   #48
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Diles is a LB. Little different adjustment for a QB, IMO. If Brinks is good enough to stash on the P.S. this year, I will be satisfied.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #49
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't creatine a steroid? Or am I mistaken?
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #50
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Your mistaken. Creatine makes you retain water and bulk. You can find it at any GNC. Some say it adds strength, I disagree, just makes me bloat.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #51
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
No. Creatine is not a steroid. It's not even a prohormone like androstenedione or androstenediol. It's a totally different type of compound. Taking creatine is like taking a protein supplement. Personally, it's never done anything for me. It doesn't make me bloat and it doesn't make me gain weight and it doesn't make me 1 iota stronger.

I lift in drug-tested federations. Creatine is totally legal. I could take as much creatine before the meet as I wanted... because it's not really a performance enhancing drug.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #52
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Your mistaken. Creatine makes you retain water and bulk. You can find it at any GNC. Some say it adds strength, I disagree, just makes me bloat.
for strength athletes, the advantage you get with creative is that it super-hydrates your muscles so in theory you can work your muscles harder when training. So, while the substance doesn't make you stronger it puts your muscles in a "training state"...but once off of the creatine you lose all the water weight that your muscles soak up while on the substance....fwiw, creatine is a naturally occurring substance found in red meats and it is perfectly natural (except that it is very "unnatural" when you "load" massive amounts into your body via supplementation).

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #53
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Just like running backs, it's not just weight. It's weight, height, and build. Wide bodies.. go look back through the thread that was started when we found out we got Okam.... A big wide body, that is athletic.. that's what we wanted, and that's what we had.

guys like Marcus Stroud are great run stoppers but don't have to have a big fat gut to do it. Frankly being that fat limits your snaps and your wind and you are only effective at the start of games or in spot duty since you can't take a series without needing to catch your breath.

Old 06-05-2008   #54
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't mind Okam losing a little weight; it'll help his athleticism. But, we have several small DT in the 300 to 310 lbs. range we don't need another. Also, don't kid yourself; having an extra 20 lbs. is a huge advantage when it comes to moving people around in the trenches.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #55
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
I don't mind Okam losing a little weight; it'll help his athleticism. But, we have several small DT in the 300 to 310 lbs. range we don't need another. Also, don't kid yourself; having an extra 20 lbs. is a huge advantage when it comes to moving people around in the trenches.
Okam isn't a pumped up 260 pounder...he's a legit 300lb+ NFL lineman bodytype. I don't think we will have to worry he will end up looking like Jason Taylor if he chooses the chicken caesar salad at McDonalds too often.

Old 06-05-2008   #56
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
If it is 20lbs of muscle or a combination of muscle and fat. Just adding fat does nothing for ones ability to move someone around in the trenches.
Old 06-05-2008   #57
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
If it is 20lbs of muscle or a combination of muscle and fat. Just adding fat does nothing for ones ability to move someone around in the trenches.
well, it does give you more anchor and makes you harder to move, so the extra bulk does mean "something"...but people getting all worried about him at being "only" 330 are overthinking this methinks.

Old 06-05-2008   #58
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

For real. I would like him down at 310-320 or so. 330 on up is too big.

Last edited by GuerillaBlack; 06-05-2008 at 02:14 PM.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #59
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
well, it does give you more anchor and makes you harder to move, so the extra bulk does mean "something"...but people getting all worried about him at being "only" 330 are overthinking this methinks.
First let me say, I'm wrong. for some reason, I remember watching a UT game, and I remembered Frank Okam having the physique of Warren Sapp.

and you're right, going from 347 to 330 couldn't possibly have changed him that much.
Old 06-05-2008   #60
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
You are right but I was also going by the not just them moving you but you also having the ability to move them. Muscle plus fat is a good thing.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read