Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-02-2008   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Oh man! Okam!

As I had mentioned in some earlier posts, Okam's weight didn't really hurt his stamina. He played with plenty of energy in the fourth quarter of all the 3 games I reviewed. (Granted, Mack Brown likes to rotate his DT.)
And especially for a guy who gets double team often, it's a good idea to give him a breather.

I also made a comment that I feel Okam's plays can be better if he can lose about 10-12 lbs. With a little more quickness, he'll be that much closer to the play (in the opponent's backfield, whether after the RB or QB.)

Manning doesn't appreciate a big guy up in his face.

Okam did not seem to rely mainly on power to shred the double team. It's also with the angle and his positioning.

Also, this confirm my obervation that Okam can be dirven off his base from the side, especially from an olineman in the ZBS.
Losing a few pounds (aside from learning more techniques) will help his agility such that he can keep his balance better, IMO.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #22
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
As I had mentioned in some earlier posts, Okam's weight didn't really hurt his stamina. He played with plenty of energy in the fourth quarter of all the 3 games I reviewed. (Granted, Mack Brown likes to rotate his DT.)
And especially for a guy who gets double team often, it's a good idea to give him a breather.

I also made a comment that I feel Okam's plays can be better if he can lose about 10-12 lbs. With a little more quickness, he'll be that much closer to the play (in the opponent's backfield, whether after the RB or QB.)

Manning doesn't appreciate a big guy up in his face.

Okam did not seem to rely mainly on power to shred the double team. It's also with the angle and his positioning.

Also, this confirm my obervation that Okam can be dirven off his base from the side, especially from an olineman in the ZBS.
Losing a few pounds (aside from learning more techniques) will help his agility such that he can keep his balance better, IMO.
Nice input and i agree but did you also see where okam commented that he is missing the running backs that are running outside on him . That he has to adjust to the much faster nfl backs and linemen that his size 6'6 and weight along with his technique had to be adjusted for him to be effective . Much of that probably deals with the angle and positioning observation you made . This could be also an observation that we are having some real good backs but only time will tell .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #23
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the most excited that I have ever been about a draft pick. If he can put together his size and speed as one package he could single handedly take over a game at the DT spot. Great defenses are built stopping the run and making the offense change there game plan.

I can't freakin wait for pre-season.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #24
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

To be honest, Okam is the player of the 2008 Texans draft class that I think is the most NFL game ready.

Brown - needs to work on technique
Molden - needs to work on technique
Slaton - situational guy, wonder if game translates to NFL
Adibi - not ideal size, no natural position on the team
Barber - yet another strong safety
Brink - if the Texans see much from him this year, they are in trouble

That's not to say I don't like these guys, and I will acknowledge that Okam needs to work on technique and conditioning but....

He suits a bigtime need for the team.
He has played against top competition and has done well. He has NFL body size and background, has played through pain, and has been a leader on the field and locker room.

The player already on the team that Okam reminds me of is Eric Winston. Productive college career for a big time program, unexpectedly dropped in the draft. Some people thought that he didn't interview well--I think Winston might have been a bit misunderstood like Okam was.

The Texans have picked a lot of projected, developmental upside guys in the past, but some of their best picks have been smart players from big programs who were productive in college.
Old 06-03-2008   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Don't look like much of a run stopper anymore...
6'5" and 330 doesn't look like a run stopper? good grief

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #26
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
6'5" and 330 doesn't look like a run stopper? good grief
Maybe he would prefer to see us utilize Fiamalu Penitani as our DT run stopper. He is 6'3.5 and 520 lbs. Now THATS a run stopper.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011

Last edited by awtysst; 06-03-2008 at 10:03 AM.
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Maybe he would prefer to see us utilize Fiamalu Penitani as our DT run stopper. He is 6'3.5 and 520 lbs. Now THATS a run stopper.
for one play. not directed to you, but being fat isn't the definitive quality for run stoppage.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2008   #28
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
for one play. not directed to you, but being fat isn't the definitive quality for run stoppage.
To stop the runs, I recommend Kaopectate, Pepto Bismol or Immodium.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Old 06-03-2008   #30
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that Frank is going to eventually beat out DT -Travis Johnson for some odd reason. Travis doesn't stay in shape and I think that F. Okam has more to his game than just being a run stopper he was able to apply pressure on the QB while at UT.
Old 06-03-2008   #31
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Pictures of rotund vet DTs
Okam is a rookie. The guys you posted didn't enter the league with such a full figure. They worked at it over the years.
Old 06-03-2008   #32
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Okam is a rookie. The guys you posted didn't enter the league with such a full figure. They worked at it over the years.
I agree. It took me almost 42 years to get as fat as I am.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #33
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh I know Vinny. The reason I suggested Fiamalu Penitani is because as a Sumo champion(Yokozuna) he needed to be able to be agile on his feet and be able to absorb the power from another sumo. Part of my response was being a little ridiculous the other was to point out how some very large athletes are more agile than some of our players.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #34
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Pat Williams (the guy your pimping, weighs 317 pounds.......much lighter than Frank Okam)

and Keith Traylor was so great he only played for 7 different teams through out his career.

As far as Shaun Rodgers, the Lions thought so much of him they decided to let him go........big fat guys are a dime a dozen, big DTs that can stop the run, but are also athletic enough to be a factor against the pass......not so much.

Frank Okam has too much potential than just being situational fat a**, the guy has the ability to be a great player and a probowler. Again 6'5 330 is not too light to stop the run.....after all your hero Pat Williams plays at 13 pounds under that weight and the other guys you listed only weigh 10 pounds more..........do you really think 10 pounds on a 6'5 frame makes a damn bit of difference?

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #35
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Pat Williams (the guy your pimping, weighs 317 pounds....
Pat Williams weighed 317 lbs several hundred pizzas ago.
Old 06-03-2008   #36
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Let us not forget the great , Gilbert Brown ............

Real big fat guys never seem to last long . There are exceptions . Shedding some pounds is a good thing IMO .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!

Last edited by False Start; 06-03-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: typo
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #37
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Pat Williams weighed 317 lbs several hundred pizzas ago.
http://www.nfl.com/players/patwillia...e?id=WIL462033

He must've up chucked those pizzas.

- Edmund Burke
Old 06-03-2008   #38
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Y'all don't forget about me.

Signed,

6'1" 325lbs

Old 06-03-2008   #39
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Y'all don't forget about me.

Signed,

6'1" 325lbs

too bad we no longer play a 3-4 defense. Casey Hampton is the best NT in the league.

- Edmund Burke
Old 06-03-2008   #40
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
To stop the runs, I recommend Kaopectate, Pepto Bismol or Immodium.
I hear the cheerleaders are working on the Pepto dance when the Defense is on the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e_qicYkBpQ

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read