Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-02-2008   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Oh man! Okam!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5813259.htmlGreat article on DT Frank Okam's adjustments to NFL. He has dropped weight from 347 and wants to lose another 5 to 295. Read Kube's comments as to how soon Okam will help.
Old 06-02-2008   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Oh man! Okam!

Quote:
He has worked hard during the past month, losing 5 pounds to drop to 330.
Okam is considering losing 5 more pounds before the season starts.
So Okam may get down to 325 lbs. 325, 330 - whatever it takes.
Old 06-02-2008   #3
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Apparently dude said he mishandled his creatine intake heading into the combine which caused him to balloon to near 350. Apparently he's been busting his ass to get in better shape.

The good thing about Frank is that he has a naturally big frame. He will always have a wide body, no matter if he's playing at or below 330. I'd like to see him drill at both weights (330 vs 350) and see how different he looks coming out of his stance.

Say word.

Last edited by SOLIS; 06-02-2008 at 08:32 AM.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

creatine binds water and big men can hold 10 pounds + of excess water when fully loaded with creatine....I know I used to hold a ton of water when I was loaded properly back when I was a heavy lifter.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #5
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I'm sure the guy who's "too smart to play NFL football" didn't know how to read the label on his creatine. The guy was fat and out of shape - it happens to all of us, pro athletes or not. LOL

This guy's gonna be the steal of the draft, I tell ya. Travis Johnson better get his injury issues worked out, or he's gonna be watching from the bench.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #6
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was really stoked with the Okam pick. He is a player we needed. A big wall to soak up blockers and allow Demeco to make plays. I dont care what weight he plays at as long as he is comfortable with his weight and in good shape.
Old 06-02-2008   #7
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Yeah, I'm sure the guy who's "too smart to play NFL football" didn't know how to read the label on his creatine. The guy was fat and out of shape - it happens to all of us, pro athletes or not. LOL

This guy's gonna be the steal of the draft, I tell ya. Travis Johnson better get his injury issues worked out, or he's gonna be watching from the bench.
Whadup Chris?

Yeah - I think he let his weight get away from him. I know I have to hit the gym hard after a season of Texans football... especially when the beers start pouring at noon on Sunday. Of course I usually end up at the neighbors at 3 to root for who ever the Cowpokes are playing. It makes for a looong day... but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Man I miss football season.

Say word.
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2008   #8
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, man. The darkest days are behind us now! We've turned the corner on June, and it won't be long before TC starts.... or something. Still, too far away for my taste.

The apparent re-dedication* of Frank Okam is one of those stories that can keep me from bashing my head into the wall. He's saying all the right things, and he sounds like a very humble kid in the way that he's talking about how he's not able to do the things he got away with at UT. He sounds as smart as advertised, and looks like he has a great work ethic.

*I really have no idea if Okam was ever really going to skip a football career for law school... to me, that sounds like a media-created 'story'.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #9
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 67203 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I really hope he turns out to be a steal . He wears # 79 , and thats not a bad number for a lineman ...............

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #10
SOLIS
United We Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Yeah, man. The darkest days are behind us now! We've turned the corner on June, and it won't be long before TC starts.... or something. Still, too far away for my taste.

*I really have no idea if Okam was ever really going to skip a football career for law school... to me, that sounds like a media-created 'story'.
Naw... not the media. They'd never do that. LoL.

No, but for real, I think you're right on target with that one.

Say word.
Old 06-02-2008   #11
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all for being athletic and all, but we need size. I hope he's not asked to drop any more weight.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #12
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
I'm all for being athletic and all, but we need size. I hope he's not asked to drop any more weight.
He may. They already said that they want more athletic guys. Jethroe Franklin said they dont want space eaters. If he can play at 330 and quick, then game on.
Old 06-02-2008   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Don't look like much of a run stopper anymore...
Old 06-02-2008   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Don't look like much of a run stopper anymore...
Being 6'5" kind of hides the weight. I've never really considered him to be a traditional "run-stopper". Hopefully he can help in both the run and pass rather than just being the fatty clogging in the middle.
Old 06-02-2008   #15
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

That's good to hear. The weight loss just shows that he is working hard and is committed to giving it his all. I look forward to seeing him on the field. That said, one of the things I found interesting about him was his sheer size, someone that would eat up blocks and make things easier for the rest of the line. Only time will tell how his play is affected by his weight loss.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #16
Polo

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over 10-15 lbs...
Old 06-02-2008   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Being 6'5" kind of hides the weight. I've never really considered him to be a traditional "run-stopper". Hopefully he can help in both the run and pass rather than just being the fatty clogging in the middle.
I'm not happy at all with him losing the weight. He "looked" like the run stopper we need, when we drafted him.
Old 06-02-2008   #18
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81208 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm not happy at all with him losing the weight. He "looked" like the run stopper we need, when we drafted him.
He's still a big guy... Albert Haynesworth plays at 6'6 and 320 and is a great run stopper.

Frank Okam dropping a few lbs, isn't going to make him weaker, he's still going to be just as strong, but he's also going to be quicker and he'll have much more stamina that will allow him to make plays late in football games. I see no problem with him getting in better shape, it'll only help his game.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #19
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
He's still a big guy... Albert Haynesworth plays at 6'6 and 320 and is a great run stopper.

Frank Okam dropping a few lbs, isn't going to make him weaker, he's still going to be just as strong, but he's also going to be quicker and he'll have much more stamina that will allow him to make plays late in football games. I see no problem with him getting in better shape, it'll only help his game.
I'm with you, CB. More stamina should translate into big plays in the fourth quarter.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

If at 6'5" and 330, Okam can not shed the block and tackle a smaller RB, I'll fall down giggling. He is still a lot of hombre. I am focusing on our 7th round picks. If Diles can start this year then Brink should start by 2010 or bring us a couple of first rounders. Way to go Smith! Greedy aren't I?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read