Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-02-2008   #21
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which Texan is a possible 1st time Pro Bowler in '08? (According to NFL.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Derek Anderson was in last year. It's always easier to get in once you've been to a Pro Bowl. Phillip Rivers plays on a winning team. Winning teams get the most Pro Bowl players. David Garrard was considered a Pro Bowl snub last season (and is on this NFL.com list). It's a tough position in this conference. The best chance Schaub (or any Texan) has is for the team to win a bunch of games.
I wouldnt say 100% without a shadow of a doubt that those guys are better than Schaub. Lets give Anderson another year before crowning him. Gerrard isnt that good and his recievers are worse. He bennifits from a very good running game. Rivers is ok, but he doesnt put up numbers normally. We'll see.
Old 06-02-2008   #22
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1964 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which Texan is a possible 1st time Pro Bowler in '08? (According to NFL.com)

Gary Kubiak
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #23
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To get voted in, sure. But, a lot of the top QBs beg off playing in the game and the alternates get a ticket to Honolulu. See: Young, Vince.
The guys who get voted in should be the only one's counted as Pro-Bowlers, all this thrid and fifth alternate stuff smacks of "everybody-wins" sports.

And isn't the Pro-Bowl a tad overrated by the players and the fans.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #24
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1964 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
The guys who get voted in should be the only one's counted as Pro-Bowlers, all this thrid and fifth alternate stuff smacks of "everybody-wins" sports.

And isn't the Pro-Bowl a tad overrated by the players and the fans.
That's what it has become. I think it would be more of an honor if it was voted equally by coaches and media, but that's not gonna happen.
Old 06-02-2008   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I wouldnt say 100% without a shadow of a doubt that those guys are better than Schaub. Lets give Anderson another year before crowning him. Gerrard isnt that good and his recievers are worse. He bennifits from a very good running game. Rivers is ok, but he doesnt put up numbers normally. We'll see.
Derek Anderson showed flashes in '06, and had a pretty good season in '07, and Schaub hasn't played one complete season yet..

Garard won the job, with his play on the field....

100% better, I'm not saying that either, but they've both earned a lot more than Matt Schaub has to date.

In the AFC, Brady, Peyton, Palmer, Anderson, Rivers, Garard, then it's a toss up between Young & Schaub.....

Old 06-02-2008   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Duane Brown. beats out last years rookie 1st time pro-bowl LT Joe Thomas. that would be epic

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #27
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree on Mario's chances of making the 2008 season Pro Bowl.

I'm stepping out on a limb and mentioning Fred Bennett here. I think he's going to improve tremendously this season with D.Rob out, and he gets a nod as a result. (Obviously, I could be way off base...but what the heck, it's good for conversation.)
Old 06-02-2008   #28
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldnt say 100% without a shadow of a doubt that those guys are better than Schaub.
I'm not suggesting they are. The Pro Bowl is a beauty contest, and the guys I listed have an inside track to one of the crowns, as of today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimeTexanFan View Post
Gary Kubiak
Kubiak can't coach in the Pro Bowl if his team is in the Super Bowl. Them's the rules.
Old 06-02-2008   #29
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
And his brother Kevin WalterS

that's my nickname for Walter "KevinS Walter" i figure the trend is to add an "s" somewhere it doesn't belong so that's what i do.

i've been campaigning for a year and a half now to have Owen Daniels' name officially changed to Open Daniels.

those are the only two nick names I have come up with. Obviously KevinS Walter is stupid but it stuck. Open Daniels though, that's pure gold.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #30
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Quote:
I'm not suggesting they are. The Pro Bowl is a beauty contest, and the guys I listed have an inside track to one of the crowns, as of today.

Kubiak can't coach in the Pro Bowl if his team is in the Super Bowl. Them's the rules.
I guess you got me there.
Old 06-02-2008   #31
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Derek Anderson showed flashes in '06, and had a pretty good season in '07, and Schaub hasn't played one complete season yet..

100% better, I'm not saying that either, but they've both earned a lot more than Matt Schaub has to date.

In the AFC, Brady, Peyton, Palmer, Anderson, Rivers, Garard, then it's a toss up between Young & Schaub.....

Assuming no injuries....

Out of the QBs you list, Brady and Manning are the only ones that I think are totally proven.

Palmer has some drama issues with his team right now.

Anderson is intriguing but he hasn't been doing it long enough to be in the Brady/Manning category.

Rivers and Garrard are very dependant on the rest of their team and their own health status. Rivers is coming off of a ACL and Garrard has a chronic disease that can flare up at any time for no reason. They both depend on solid running games to keep defenses guessing, but that cuts into their ability to score throwing TDs. Garrard also has a sketchy wide receiver situation this year. Neither of these QBs make me go, wow, I wish I had that guy playing on my team (which is the feeling you should get with a Pro Bowl QB).

I guess the biggest reason to think that Schaub could be an Pro Bowl QB is the following:

1. Gibbs making the running game real.
2. Look at the the combined stats of a Schaub/Rosenfels from last year. They did that with a ton of key injuries on the offensive side of the ball and with the Ron Dayne experience trying to keep defenders honest. If the Texans can catch some breaks as far as health goes, reduce the turnovers, and improve with another year knowing the offense, a Schaub Pro Bowl isn't particularly far fetched.

I've seen enough improvement on the offensive side of the ball to be relatively bullish that the Texans can put together an offense that can move the ball. If the defense can get off the field after third downs, you can see the seeds of something special.

(And how about Manning and Brady never getting seriously injured? Colts and Pats fans are so spoiled.)
Old 06-02-2008   #32
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

See, you had a little more respect till you threw the VY is close to Schuab. I hope your kidding, cause if your not thats sad. There is no way VY is in the same locker as Schuab. Watch the two of them play and the only one the "chosen one" comes close to used to wear 8 in Houston...

The others arent so clear cut. Flashes dont make a great QB, or even a good one. I wasnt all that impressed with Gerrard any way. He doesnt thwrow a pass over 7 yards. Not that he needs too, with that running game. That may be my point, Schaub has done alright with RON DAYNE as his starting RB... Compair the other QB's on that list with Schaub and none of them have a worse running back. Not even close.
Old 06-02-2008   #33
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:

True. That explains the "chosen one" making it...
Old 06-02-2008   #34
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Mario will outdo his sack total from last year. He is going to pick up where he left off.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #35
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Derek Anderson will be on the bench by week 6 and Brady Quinn will be in. Anderson benefits from good recievers. He won't be so lucky this year.

By the way I'm so done with the Cleveland band wagon, nobody even said anything about the fact that they didn't have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks in this years draft. I know that Quinn was thier 1st round pick from this year, but still they were the media darling last year, and got a free win from the zebras last year against us (Besides the fact that we couldn't stop the run). Can't wait until they suck again this year!!!!
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #36
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think this crowning bit is gotten from the HWWNBN era. No one is crowning anything when it comes to Derek Anderson merely Lucky pointed out he got the nod last year.

I expect to see similar style of offense from the Titans and Jags next year. Running game and a modest passing game to keep opponents offkey just enough.

I think Rivers will look better this next year with a full year with Chris Chambers and C. Davis getting a year under his belt.

If we can get a consistent run game to go along with our WRs this could very well be a fun offense to watch next year.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #37
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The reality is this. Schaub ain't gonna make it.

How to make the pro-bowl.

There are 3 basic formulas for making the pro-bowl.

Be a perennial star. See Brady, Manning, Harrison, LT. Its like defensive player of the year in basketball. Its as much a function of your legacy. See Scottie Bitchin.

Be a rising star on a young team and have a year in which you are donned the "rising gun" then follow that year by a year that is similar. Press gets you votes. It that simple. Be one of the players that the media falls in love with, do anything worth praising and follow it up with a year in which you make headlines for good play in a few high profile games and you're a shoe in.

Have everyone in front of you get hurt and or decline the invite. See Vince Young.

Basically, Schaub had a chance this year if he had a breakout year. Instead he's playing for a shot at the pro-bowl in 2009. I mean if he starts 10-0 with a 95+ qb rating... then he'll get the nod obviously, but being realistic he doesn't have much of a shot this year. Mario fits this bill. And someone like Bennett has a shot. I guess I should add one more method. Have a key player go down and fill in and play remarkably. That would be Bennett.

For non skill position players you're looking at basically reputation. Either be a big name rookie and play on a great team. Or build a reputation.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #38
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Which Texan is a possible 1st time Pro Bowler in '08? (According to NFL.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If Gibbs' coaching boosts our running game, maybe Winston will get some consideration. Can't have a successful running game w/o good blocking
Agreed. Our running game will surprise some people this year & I expect it to be due to an emerging OL- led by Winston.
Giant Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #39
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
The reality is this. Schaub ain't gonna make it.

How to make the pro-bowl.

There are 3 basic formulas for making the pro-bowl.

Be a perennial star. See Brady, Manning, Harrison, LT. Its like defensive player of the year in basketball. Its as much a function of your legacy. See Scottie Bitchin.

Be a rising star on a young team and have a year in which you are donned the "rising gun" then follow that year by a year that is similar. Press gets you votes. It that simple. Be one of the players that the media falls in love with, do anything worth praising and follow it up with a year in which you make headlines for good play in a few high profile games and you're a shoe in.

Have everyone in front of you get hurt and or decline the invite. See Vince Young.

Basically, Schaub had a chance this year if he had a breakout year. Instead he's playing for a shot at the pro-bowl in 2009. I mean if he starts 10-0 with a 95+ qb rating... then he'll get the nod obviously, but being realistic he doesn't have much of a shot this year. Mario fits this bill. And someone like Bennett has a shot. I guess I should add one more method. Have a key player go down and fill in and play remarkably. That would be Bennett.

For non skill position players you're looking at basically reputation. Either be a big name rookie and play on a great team. Or build a reputation.

Mike
totally overthinking this. Schaub has as good a shot as anyone if he has a good year....with so many QB's getting injured year in, year out....he just has to have a good year and stay healthy and he has a big shot. That's how Steve McNair and Vince Young and Derek Anderson made it in the last few years.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Anderson is intriguing but he hasn't been doing it long enough to be in the Brady/Manning category.
I'm not putting Anderson in that category. Someone mentioned that Schaub had a better shot at getting to the ProBowl than Anderson did. I merely mentioned that Anderson already has a good season under his belt, one more, and he'll be a contender, if some thing were to happen to one of the others.

Quote:
Rivers and Garrard are very dependant on the rest of their team and their own health status.
Then the rest of your post puts Schaub in the same boat as these guys. You're saying the same thing as I'm saying, except aknowledging that what Rivers & Garrard has done in the past gives them the leg up in ProBowl voting for 2008.
Quote:

I guess the biggest reason to think that Schaub could be an Pro Bowl QB is the following:

1. Gibbs making the running game real.
2. Look at the the combined stats of a Schaub/Rosenfels from last year. They did that with a ton of key injuries on the offensive side of the ball and with the Ron Dayne experience trying to keep defenders honest. If the Texans can catch some breaks as far as health goes, reduce the turnovers, and improve with another year knowing the offense, a Schaub Pro Bowl isn't particularly far fetched.

I've seen enough improvement on the offensive side of the ball to be relatively bullish that the Texans can put together an offense that can move the ball. If the defense can get off the field after third downs, you can see the seeds of something special.

(And how about Manning and Brady never getting seriously injured? Colts and Pats fans are so spoiled.)
And there you have it. Because of the state of those teams, their QBs are ahead of Schaub if Pro Bowl voting were to start today.

We haven't even established our team as divisional contenders.

For Schaub to get to the Pro Bowl, we'll have to be this years Cinderella team. It could happen, I think it most likely will happen(that we'll be the Cinderella team).

But I don't think Schaub's chances of being a first time Pro Bowler are as good as Mario's, Dunta's, or Owen Daniel's.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read