Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-31-2008   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Biscuit Brisiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I heard McClain on the radio yesterday comment that Gibbs isn't going to be sentimental in his decision on who is a starter and who makes the team on the OL.
I don't think any Texans fan thinks Gibbs would do it any other way.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #22
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I don't think any Texans fan thinks Gibbs would do it any other way.
I think the era of false starts , missed assignments , and letting your QB take cheapshots are over .

I've read where the Denver OL of the Terrell Davis era would show up at 7:00 am for a 9:00 am meeting to review before the meeting .

I think Gibbs knows what type of personality it takes to do what he ask and that is more important than the physical ( Studdard ) . This is where Spencer fits ... he's mean and determined . It's just a matter of his leg holding up .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #23
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...25/ai_69404525

Consider what Gibbs, the man they call "The Doctor," has done. Almost without exception, linemen were better as Broncos under Gibbs than they were before or after. Jones spent nine years with the Browns and Ravens, but his only Pro Bowl appearance came under Gibbs. The Ravens saw Harry Swayne's production with the Broncos and signed him to a rich free-agent deal. The Seahawks did the same with Brian Habib. Neither was as productive for his new team as was his replacement for the Broncos. Gibbs helped seventh-round draft choice Tom Nalen become arguably the premier center in the NFL.

Gibbs took Matt Lepsis, who was undrafted, and made him into a very effective right tackle. He made a premier guard out of the undersized Neil, whom one offensive line coach said would be hard-pressed to start in any other system. He found a way to get solid production out of Schlereth, a player who had undergone numerous surgeries (the count is 29).

"What he's done is make them better as a group than as individuals," Chargers defensive coordinator Joe Pascale says.

Gibbs, 59, crafted great offensive lines mostly with players other teams had no use for. Unlike just about every other coach, Gibbs didn't lobby to have his team select players for him in the high rounds. He preferred the leftovers, players who have something to prove. Gibbs tore these players down further, and then built them up.

Working counter to the craze that favors bodies big enough to float in a holiday parade, Gibbs preferred lightweights, maintaining they heal more quickly. The 2000 Broncos line had a median weight of 287 pounds, lightest in the NFL. It was the league's only line without a 300-pounder.

Lighter linemen also can execute Gibbs' philosophy better than players whose steps measure on the Richter scale. Ted Sundquist, the Broncos' talented director of college scouting, says Gibbs' system is emphasized in the scouting process. Broncos scouts look for quickness, balance, intelligence, the ability to get to the second level, the athleticism to adjust on the move and the speed to run in the open field.

Take Neil, for instance. Coming out of Texas, Neil was considered not big enough or athletic enough for most teams. "He's just what we were looking for," Sundquist says. Neil can overcome his deficiencies in this system because he plays hard and he took Gibbs' coaching well. "I think he's one of the best guards in the league because of his technique," Adams says. "Even if he finds himself in a bad position, he can overcome it with great technique. Plus, he has a great zest for playing."

Technique was the common thread through the Broncos' blocking success. Gibbs had a hawk's eye for detail. And he was as demanding as Bela Karolyi, except Gibbs' gymnasts were overgrown. On each practice snap, every hand had to be in the right position; perfect foot placement was required.

"They use great technique," says Bears defensive end Phillip Daniels, another former Seahawk. "They get their hands inside and move you off the ball. They get the line running one way, then somebody gets out of a gap and the back cuts back."

Daniels alludes to one of the Broncos' staples, a run some teams call the press play. The linemen stretch the defense horizontally to the weak side to make it look like an outside run, and then the fullback hits up inside the tackle and the tailback cuts back hard.

The backside of the play is where it gets interesting. The Broncos often try to get backside defenders on the ground (see accompanying story). Nalen and one of the guards often will double team a defensive tackle before one of them uses a "scoop" technique, leaving the defensive tackle and reaching out to block a linebacker or safety on the second level of the defense.

If you go to the link above , you can click on page two .

Round Dan

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 05-31-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2008   #24
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Almost without exception, linemen were better as Broncos under Gibbs than they were before or after.

That right there bothers me. I think most of us believe that Gibbs will be around about 2 years. What are we doing to make sure that when the master leaves, that there is a grasshopper to carry on the work? Does anyone know if there is a designated under study so to speak that is learning how to contsruct and maintain this thing? If not, we may have some real issues after he leaves.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Almost without exception, linemen were better as Broncos under Gibbs than they were before or after.

That right there bothers me. I think most of us believe that Gibbs will be around about 2 years. What are we doing to make sure that when the master leaves, that there is a grasshopper to carry on the work? Does anyone know if there is a designated under study so to speak that is learning how to contsruct and maintain this thing? If not, we may have some real issues after he leaves.
it shouldn't bother you too much...heck, whats the alternative? Him never being here at all?

Old 05-31-2008   #26
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If anybody has to run the Gibbs scheme after he leaves, then screw it, nobody better to do that than Kubiak right? I mean, our HC is a guy who learned under Gibbs for 10+ seasons, and now Gibbs is coming to work our O-line for a few years to get everybody up to speed. I don't really think it'll be that big of an issue when Gibbs leaves.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #27
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't really think it'll be that big of an issue when Gibbs leaves.
FWIW I think ATL abandoned the ZB system shortley after Gibbs departed that scene.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-31-2008   #28
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
FWIW I think ATL abandoned the ZB system shortley after Gibbs departed that scene.
Petrino had his own system....we all see how well that worked out.

Old 05-31-2008   #29
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe we just oughta sit back and enjoy coach Gibbs while we got him. Enjoy the ride.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #30
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If the Texans HC and OC can adopt a strict COMMITMENT to the hard-nosed algorithm Gibbs system, this should not be an issue. However, if when Gibbs does eventually leave, and the HC or OC or "new blood" coaching staff starts jacking with "variations" on the theme as has happened following Gibbs' exit from other teams, expect accompanying variations on success.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #31
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wasn't part of the problem players? I mean the ZBS has lighter more athletic lineman as opposed to the Petrino power game. I mean if you try to run the ZBS with heavy lineman its a disaster, just like if you try to run a power game with lighter lineman.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #32
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Was his the "Lose and Run" offense?
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #33
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
If the Texans HC and OC can adopt a strict COMMITMENT to the hard-nosed algorithm Gibbs system, this should not be an issue. However, if when Gibbs does eventually leave, and the HC or OC or "new blood" coaching staff starts jacking with "variations" on the theme as has happened following Gibbs' exit from other teams, expect accompanying variations on success.
Yup, CND that is what I'm getting at. I know Kubes probably knows it pretty well, but he can't be coaching the line. The point I was trying to make was are we doing anything to promote continuity and if not, maybe we should be. Look at Denver, I don't know how many have picked up on it, but they are moving towards a more power type of scheme. My guess would be that they were/are having problems making it work without Gibbs after a few years of him being gone.

De Oppresso Liber
Old 05-31-2008   #34
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Was his the "Lose and Run" offense?
No! The RUN and SHOOT yourself in the foot offense.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #35
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

I think what makes Gibbs so good is more than how well he knows the scheme . He's a throwback to a guy like Lombardi , who's players said ... he treats us all the same ... like dogs .

I think the key is that one of the young lineman pushes the group after Gibbs leaves . A guy that will set the bar high ... kinda like what they have going on defense .

Round Dan
Old 05-31-2008   #36
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Wasn't part of the problem players? I mean the ZBS has lighter more athletic lineman as opposed to the Petrino power game. I mean if you try to run the ZBS with heavy lineman its a disaster, just like if you try to run a power game with lighter lineman.

This is why I think Spencer will have a hard time making this team. He is our heaviest O-Lineman at 352 lbs, and coming off that injury after being out 2 years, it's going to be tough. I think we may see some surprise cuts after TC and Preseason.

When it's all said and done, I wouldn't be shocked to see an O-line that had Butler, Studdard, Myers, Brisiel, and Winston starting with Brown, Pitts, Eslinger, and maybe Frye being the backups, and Weary on the PUP or IR. Not saying this is what it will be, but don't be surprised if it is something like this. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #37
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
[b][size=4] What are we doing to make sure that when the master leaves, that there is a grasshopper to carry on the work? Does anyone know if there is a designated under study so to speak that is learning how to contsruct and maintain this thing? If not, we may have some real issues after he leaves.
i can only assume that john benton the offensive line coach is walking around with his fingers in his ears going "nah nah nah nah nah. i don't hear anything. nah nah nah nah"

i think it's pretty safe to assume that he is actually in Gibbs tiny little midget mastermind back pocket with a pencil and notepad absorbing everything including gibbs' ass sweat.

all the successful teams are promoting from within. coaches that get the system, work well with the other coaches, have repor with the players etc.

one of the reasons why kyle shanahan is our OC. he's been here. he knows the system. he's smart. (ok, his bloodline can't hurt). but look at teams like the colts. it's all IN THE FAMILY.

if you read obsessively about this team you'll find that it is a team that has players and coaches around the league talking about it. they're finding out it's an extremely tight nit staff of both players and coaches. i think you're going to find that this regime (if successful) will continue on in some fashion for some time to come.

i think that's the only way to build a true dynasty in this modern NFL. you have to have a cult like sort of thing going on that people want to "drink from the cup" just to be a part of it. they have to want to be here to keep any sense of consistency in an age when everybody is looking to advance there careers. they have to believe in the cult to want to stay.

unless benton just hates the ZBS and is quietly taking his lumps until his contract is up, i would imagine that he, or someone from within the organization, will be the one to continue the scheme (along with Kubiak obviously) for as long as it's successful.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #38
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

a second thought:

speaking of bloodlines... does the wiz have any kidz in the biz?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #39
Lucky

Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

From the Gibbs article Earl linked above:

Quote:
What makes the Denver offensive line successful and unpopular is the same: The Broncos are not above the low blow. in fact, Broncos blockers are on the ground nearly as much as worms.

Among the players who have complained about Broncos going for their knees this year have been Oakland's Darrell Russell, St. Louis' D'Marco Farr and Baltimore's Rob Burnett.

In two games studied by THE SPORTING NEWS, the Broncos threw cut blocks--blocks at or below the knees--on 53 percent of their plays. They threw 60 cuts in one game, 62 in the other. Sometimes they have as many as four blockers cutting on one play, as left tackle Tony Jones, left guard Lennie Friedman, right tackle Matt Lepsis and tight end Dwayne Carswell did on a Mike Anderson run against the Saints.

The Broncos find the cut block most useful on running plays; 77 percent of their cuts came on runs in those games. Many of the cuts come on the backside of plays, such as when Jones and Friedman took out Seattle's Riddick Parker and Anthony Simmons on a 15-yard touchdown run by Anderson in Seattle.

Cut blocks aren't popular with defensive linemen, but they are within the rules. Not allowed are leg whips and chop blocks, which occur when a defender is engaged with one blocker and another blocker hits him low. The Broncos have been accused of all of these.

"The Broncos are dirty against tackles," Bears defensive end Phillip Daniels said. "They chop block them. I've seen it."
One of the things I like about the cut block is the fear it puts into the defenders. Justifiable or not. We saw how Travis Johnson responded to Trent Green's cut block. Imagine multiple blockers going low on nearly every play. It gets into the defense's collective head and can be a psychological weapon.

One thing I find interesting about the cut block is how Gibbs will implement it in training camp. Certainly, they won't ask the linemen to practice cut blocks on their teammates. Right? Will 4 preseason games be enough to perfect the cut blocks?

Something else that will have my attention is the willingness of vets like Pitts and Weary to execute the cut block. The young linemen will do as they're told. But Pitts and Weary have been around and taken a lot of snaps. They may be set in their ways, and it will be intriguing to see how they will take to Gibbs' coaching.

Last edited by Lucky; 06-01-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Lucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #40
edo783
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The young linemen will do as they're told. But Pitts and Weary have been around and ptaken a lot of snaps. They may be set in their ways, and it will be intriguing to see how they will take to Gibbs' coaching.
Acording to Duane Brown, one of the questions they (Gibbs?) asked him in his interview was "Are you willing to cut block". He said heck yes, he was doing it at VT. So, we have at least one guy that buys into the cut block thing.

De Oppresso Liber

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read