Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2008   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Biscuit Brisiel

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...lutionsinc.comNice article on Mike Brisiel and role as a starter. This was in the Texans letter.
Old 05-30-2008   #2
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam
Default Re: Biscuit Brisiel

Good read, Brisiel is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. I'd really like to see him get the start over Weary in the season opener. I like Weary; but even when healthy his play was par. As the article says, in Brisiel's time as starter he didn't allow a single sack and only committed one penalty. He's definitely starter quality, and a young guy at that.

Either way, our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people next season.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was looking at the photos at HT.com and they had an OL of Brown , Studdard , Myers , Briesel , and Winston . The picture was labled 1st team offense .

McClain says Gibbs really likes Studdard and Butler . I'm thinking this is part of the numbers game they refer to .

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/05/l...ir_single.html

Quote:
As far as young offensive linemen, keep a close eye on tackle Rashad Butler and guard Kasey Studdard. They're really taking to Gibbs' style of coaching.

Round Dan

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 05-30-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I was looking at the photos at HT.com and they had a OL of Brown , Studdard , Myers , Briesel , and Winston . The picture was labled 1st team offense .

McClain says Gibbs really likes Studdard and Butler . I'm thinking this is part of the numbers game they refer to .
Pitts had shoulder soreness which kept him out of practice. I reckon Pitts would've been there if the coaches allowed it. IMO, it's Pitts' job to lose.
Old 05-30-2008   #5
Polo

If I'm not mistaken I think I read a quote where Kubiak said Studdard was going with the first team O...
Old 05-30-2008   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am a big Pitts fan. Just like the story of walking onto college team after being "recruited" by Salaam. Chester has just done the job. Not a probowler, just does his best with minimal down time. I like his "lunch pail" work ethic. Having said that, there is something about Studdard and Butler that makes me think they will eventually be a step up.
Old 05-30-2008   #7
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am a big Pitts fan. Just like the story of walking onto college team after being "recruited" by Salaam. Chester has just done the job. Not a probowler, just does his best with minimal down time. I like his "lunch pail" work ethic. Having said that, there is something about Studdard and Butler that makes me think they will eventually be a step up.
I think Gibbs took to Studdard very well because of the mean streak and intensity he plays with. Way thinks are looking we're going to be solid on the line next year and Butler stepping up makes Black expendable.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2008   #8
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Good read, Brisiel is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. I'd really like to see him get the start over Weary in the season opener. I like Weary; but even when healthy his play was par. As the article says, in Brisiel's time as starter he didn't allow a single sack and only committed one penalty. He's definitely starter quality, and a young guy at that.

Either way, our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people next season.

Weary has been our best offensive lineman the past 2 years.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think Gibbs took to Studdard very well because of the mean streak and intensity he plays with. Way thinks are looking we're going to be solid on the line next year and Butler stepping up makes Black expendable.
I think something is happening that has'nt before . You perform or you're cut .

Round Dan
Old 05-30-2008   #10
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

This doesn't have anything to do with Brisiel's play, but was he the guy that had a seizure on the sideline last year (or maybe it was in 06)?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
This doesn't have anything to do with Brisiel's play, but was he the guy that had a seizure on the sideline last year (or maybe it was in 06)?
Yes, I believe it was in 06. He was inactive.
Old 05-30-2008   #12
ocd
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think Gibbs took to Studdard very well because of the mean streak and intensity he plays with.

Now we're talking MY kind of football!

I'm thinking Gibbs goes out in style and retires with the best O line he has ever had...just to make a statement. And what statement is that?

Smash mouth football is what wins championships.
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Most would agree but I go with Pitts who is always at LG. He just rarely goes out. Weary missed several games. These guys are developing into the old Oiler defense in the House of Pain atttitude. By that I mean, they bring effort always. Oiler D was not always first round pro bowl type players but they came to play. I would rather watch a solid game that we lose rather than a sloppy win. I know this also flies against the Ws at all cost mentality but that is me. I want all players regardless of side of ball to "bring it".
Old 05-30-2008   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's debatable to who was our best O-lineman last year.
The only guy I haven't heard mentioning is Salaam, even though a few fans pointed out that he did have to face quite a few good RDEs.

McKinney had a bad season opener against KC (so many mistakes, but fortunately, they didn't hurt us) it's hard to give him any more than a C-

White made a couple of critical mistakes in just over half a game against the Chargers, one found him on the ground, and one almost result in Dayne getting caught in our own endzone. The one run that made us look good was to the outside where the LT overran Salaam so we had a gaping hole.

It's difficult to judge Briesel because of the four opponents we played at the end of the season (3 home games.)
The Bucs didn't have their full load, and they were content to go home and get a clincher there. And we managed only 257 total yards.
The Broncos had their share of injury toward the end of the season. 3 TDs on the ground was amazing, especially considering the candidates: Dayne, Leach and Rosenfels. What can you say when Dayne averaged 6yd per carry?
Same with the Jags, they played a slew of reserves and we managed a whopping 290yds.
And 299 yds against the Colts (124 yd in the 4th qtr down by 31 pts) while losing over 11 minutes in the posession game is nothing to write home about.
You know it's garbage time!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #15
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I thought it was Bedell who went down in 06. And I seem to remember Studdard being a fast lineman, which could account for his time with the first-team.
Old 05-30-2008   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
I thought it was Bedell who went down in 06. And I seem to remember Studdard being a fast lineman, which could account for his time with the first-team.
I don't think Studdard is fast. He has a good motor, and he will fight hard, but he's not that athetic. But he's not slow by any mean.
Pitts has missed times while Weary has'nt fully recovered.
And I'm sure Kubiak likes to give Studdard as many reps as he can.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #17
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
It didn't show last season. I would say his performance was out done by both Brisiel and Winston. I would be close to saying that McKinney had played better when he was healthy, but the sample for McKinney was a little to small to say anything like that.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
It didn't show last season. I would say his performance was out done by both Brisiel and Winston. I would be close to saying that McKinney had played better when he was healthy, but the sample for McKinney was a little to small to say anything like that.
Weary and Winston were the best linemen last year. Brisiel did a fine job when he came in for Weary. I think that Weary wins the job if he is fully healthy and Brisiel will make a fine back up.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Weary and Winston were the best linemen last year. Brisiel did a fine job when he came in for Weary. I think that Weary wins the job if he is fully healthy and Brisiel will make a fine back up.
Winston is on his way and Brown should be right behind him ( of course this is a guess ) .

I think after training camp the OL will not be what we think . I've read some of what Gibbs has said in the past and it does'nt apply to our starters from last year .

Round Dan
Old 05-31-2008   #20
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard McClain on the radio yesterday comment that Gibbs isn't going to be sentimental in his decision on who is a starter and who makes the team on the OL. In otherwords, he is going to start the 5 linemen that he believes give the Texans the best chance to win.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read