Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-01-2008   #81
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opinions on Steve Slaton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
...and for much the same reasons that Clinton Portis fell to the Broncos at 51.
couldn't agree more, nice you tube find. okam, slaton, and adibi will all be steals on two years
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #82
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I know how much I look forward to June and July with the cool weather here and all. After watching Steve Slaton video clips and reading articles about Mario being even more unblockable and Demeco ready to step up and be a leader on the field I think I'm ready to skip ahead to August and get this season going.
Old 06-01-2008   #83
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
He had a wrist injury that didn't allow him to grip the ball with his right hand.....
http://www.battleredblog.com/2008/5/...n-an-insider-s
Mr. Antonik gave me so much useful information with no hesitation. Steve was a huge fan favorite at WVU - his career was so well documented, he was by far the easiest of the seven players I profiled at BRB. I think Adibi would be a close second.

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #84
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIS View Post
Mr. Antonik gave me so much useful information with no hesitation. Steve was a huge fan favorite at WVU - his career was so well documented, he was by far the easiest of the seven players I profiled at BRB. I think Adibi would be a close second.
Yeah, that was a good peice, thanks for the interview
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #85
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIS View Post
repped ya for the bunch of posts that were insightful.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #86
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

about 15 days old but article from HPF err In the Bullseye.com

Quote:
Mama always said there would be days like this.

According to a report filed by the Associated Press last night, rookie running back Steve Slaton struggled mightily on Day 2 of Texans minicamp. Slaton fumbled a pitch on one play and later had his helmet knocked off his head on another. The report also added that Slaton actually fumbled twice on Saturday.

Twice? Oh noes!!!!1!!1 Whatever will we do???!

"He's going to be fine," running backs coach Chick Harris said. "I can cure (the butterfingers). I've done it with guys before. You just bang 'em and bang 'em and bang 'em until they understand the importance of keeping the ball in your hands."

Whoa, easy there on the banging, 'kay? We're not the Bengals.

So, yeah, no alarm. Slaton is going to be just fine. I mean, it's not like he had this issue in college, right?

No wait. Slaton DID have this problem in college. He suffered a wrist injury in 2006 and underwent surgery on it last year. The troubles had an impact on how he carried the football, giving him a bad case of the dropsies.

Yikes. Coach Harris might need a little extra time developing a cure for this case.

http://www.inthebullseye.com/archive/2008/20080512.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #87
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
After watching that great clip, I noticed this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ5I2...eature=related
@ 4:14 you see him running down the left sideline and there is a tackler approaching from the right instead of heading out of bounds he attacks the tackler. i love that mentality!

i agree with someone else's post too about how he seems to disappear in the interior and explode out the other side.... very promising.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2008   #88
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

The carrying the ball in his left hand all the time now makes sense with the wrist injury.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #89
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Steve is going to be the man and i'm glad the texans are not talking about him to much because they know he will be the cure to our running game. Steve has a natural feel in the zone blocking scheme from his time at WVU and watch the explosion in the videos below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwEEGmX4IwU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xx3VzMMU3g&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G-r4Da1ljE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr49hwW7zZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrm0i...eature=related
Old 06-03-2008   #90
threeputtsam
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam threeputtsam

Slaton will be a good 3rd down back. Do you all remember how many screens we had set up, only to go for just 5 yards. Slaton can make a 5 yard screen pass into a 40 yard gain - Dayne couldn't. Sorry Dayne lovers.
threeputtsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #91
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Slaton will be just fine, but let's not hype him up!

What I like is that he looks comfortable out of different offensive formations, from the I, to the Ace, the split back, the shotgun, which we employ in some form.

I need to see more of him in the slot out of the empty-backfield formation to see if he can be successful at the next level.

Basic football formations can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formati...l)#T_formation
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #92
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton is going to be the man and if Ahman get hurt in the pre-season then we can look at Shawn Alexander or Travis Henry on a 1-year deal to team up with Slaton.
Old 06-03-2008   #93
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Slaton is going to be the man and if Ahman get hurt in the pre-season then we can look at Shawn Alexander or Travis Henry on a 1-year deal to team up with Slaton.
put down the crack pipe and step away from the computer

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #94
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Rep Power: 120 Line_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respected
Unhappy Re: Your opinions on Steve Slaton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Seriously. Nightmares. I hope this post was in jest, because my soul couldn't take it.
Line_Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #95
PHAROAH
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line_Producer View Post
Seriously. Nightmares. I hope this post was in jest, because my soul couldn't take it.
It was and I hope we have no injuries this season in the backfield.

Old 06-04-2008   #96
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The more I see of Slaton (5 games now including USF, Rutgers, Cinn, Pitts, UConn).

He just look like a complete player to me.

Let's take his worst game against Pitts. Don't let the line (9 carries for 11 yards and 1 catch for 9 yds, No TD) fool ya'.

If the blockers perform their task, it would have been a completely different story.

Same goes with the USF and UConn games where he didn't have astronomical numbers either.

(And as I have mentioned before, I was astounded as to why Rodriguez doesn't instruct Pat White to get the ball to Slaton more.)

Slaton does all the little things well, and that include blocking.
He has a lot of heart, and you see several hard heavy blocks, even on LBs.
And the DBs around 190 lbs, he simply destroys them.

And to say that his legs stop moving upon meeting the defenders is a little presumptous. You ought to see him fighting 2, 3 defenders.

Now, I never want to hype him up. I'm just stating my opinion that he's ready to contribute while learning more about the game from our coaches and his teammates. And of course, he'll have to adjust to the fast pace of the NFL just like most other rookies.

I really like this pick.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #97
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Slaton. he reminds me of DD(W). I hope he turns out to be a good as DD(W)
Old 06-05-2008   #98
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I like Slaton. he reminds me of DD(W). I hope he turns out to be a good as DD(W)
How? Davis was lucky to break a 30 yard run before being run down whereas Slaton would likely take it to the house on the same run. The speed and quickness isn't even comparable.

I think many around here hold Davis at a higher level than what he was. IMO, he was an average to slightly above average RB who didn't have break away speed nor the durability of a really good RB.

Sure, he's probably the best we've had, but when you have an injured Green, Fatass and a few other nobodies to compare him to.....
Old 06-05-2008   #99
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think many around here hold Davis at a higher level than what he was. IMO, he was an average to slightly above average RB who didn't have break away speed nor the durability of a really good RB.

Sure, he's probably the best we've had, but when you have an injured Green, Fatass and a few other nobodies to compare him to.....
Domanick Davis healthy was easily a above average to very good running back. No he didn't have break away speed, but the guy had great vision, balance, was very quick, ran behind his pads well, and had a nose for the endzone (avg. 11 TDs his first two seasons) He was also a very good receiving back.

Speed isn't everything for a running back, (There have been a ton of blazing speedster runningbacks, that simply couldn't produce in the NFL) while D.D. lacked it, he had everything else, with his vision he'd be perfect in this zone scheme.......it's just a shame the guy could never stay healthy, he was talented.

Hopefully Slaton can come in and show that he has the vision, ability to run through the tackles, and possesses soft hands like Davis..........but while also showing that he has game breaking speed and he's durable enough to make it in the NFL (unlike Davis).

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 06-05-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #100
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
How? Davis was lucky to break a 30 yard run before being run down whereas Slaton would likely take it to the house on the same run. The speed and quickness isn't even comparable.

Davis was able to produce on a pis poor team, with a pis poor QB, and a pis poor coach.

No one thinks Davis would have gone to the HOF or anything like that. But we acknowledge, and respect what he did for us.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read