Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-31-2008   #61
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam
Default Re: Your opinions on Steve Slaton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIS View Post
Sup yall - I did some extensive research on Slaton for a couple of pieces at Battle Red Blog. I think he's going to make an impact as a rookie, but should really come into his own with a couple of years of experience.
-
I spoke with John Antonik, WVU's Director of New Media, and WVU football's beat writer. He said that Steve bulked up in the offseason to try and impress NFL scouts, but it backfired. He lost some of his straight line speed. He's been working hard in the offseason to keep the extra weight and regain that step.
-
In his sophomore season, he rushed for over 1700 yards. Rick Trickett, the then offensive line coach, copied Alex Gibbs zone blocking scheme down to the letter. In other words, Steve can run in the zone spread with his eyes closed. Apparently, Chris Brown also ran in a similar system in Colorado.
-
So - with Myers and Gibbs bring the other linemen up to speed, and with Brown and Slaton already familiar with the schemes, I expect an overnight improvement in the run game. And that ain't the kool-aid talkin.
Good post. Knowing the system will only accelerate Slaton's development, which will do nothing but good for our running game. This missing cog, since the loss of Davis, has been a back with quick feet that can also be a threat in the passing game. If he should develop correctly, Slaton will fill this void.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #62
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Now, that is some lively football discussion, and I really like it!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #63
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Tiki Barber could run between the tackles I think Slaton can too. I am sure Kubiak and co. will know just what his limitations and strengths are and go from there. I think we have a faster version of Tiki Barber.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #64
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
I think we have a faster version of Tiki Barber.
That will be great and hopefully he doesn't try using all large words to impress folks in interviews and wind up sounding like a dork.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #65
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i'd be remiss if i didn't agree indubitably.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #66
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Found an interesting piece on Slaton at PFW.

Quote:
Transition to Texans' offense could be a smooth one for RB Slaton

Texans rookie RB Steve Slaton starred running behind zone blocking at West Virginia, so he is familiar with elements of Houston's offense, which also features a zone blocking scheme. "Once you see something, you commit to it," Slaton told PFW. "Itís a 100 percent full-go. Thereís really not going to be too many cuts (for a running back to make)." Slaton, who is likely to compete for carries as a backup in his rookie season, adds a needed dose of speed to a Texans backfield that lacked it last season. Slaton told PFW he has taken well to the Texans' offense, which is modeled after the Broncos' attack that Texans head coach Gary Kubiak ran as Denver's offensive coordinator. "At West Virginia (under then-head coach Rich Rodriguez), a lot of the tape we watched was Denver film," Slaton told PFW. "Running the zone for three years, I think thatís a great transition for me."

So I dug up a few Youtube video's of Slaton .... Mainly loking to see how he did running between the tackles .... After looking at some of them I'm somewhat impressed at how well he fits the ZBS . Take a look at the second 52yard TD Vs. Georgia. The LB was out of position and he made the defense pay for it with one quick cut .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xx3VzMMU3g

The next video is the first 52 yarder on a draw play . Another one cut and get downhill run . Made a guy miss and was off to the races .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwEEGmX4IwU

There are a couple others that showcase him catching the ball pretty well .
I think if this guy can pick up the blitz he will see a lot more action this season than a lot of us expect of a 3rd round rookie.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #67
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post
Found an interesting piece on Slaton at PFW.

So I dug up a few Youtube video's of Slaton .... Mainly loking to see how he did running between the tackles .... After looking at some of them I'm somewhat impressed at how well he fits the ZBS . Take a look at the second 52yard TD Vs. Georgia. The LB was out of position and he made the defense pay for it with one quick cut .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xx3VzMMU3g

The next video is the first 52 yarder on a draw play . Another one cut and get downhill run . Made a guy miss and was off to the races .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwEEGmX4IwU

There are a couple others that showcase him catching the ball pretty well .
I think if this guy can pick up the blitz he will see a lot more action this season than a lot of us expect of a 3rd round rookie.
I really don't know much about Slaton but after watching those videos it appears that he has a good second gear, good down field vision, sets up his blocks well, and doesn't go down after first contact.

I don't know how Slaton fell so far down the draft boards. Maybe its a maturity thing.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-01-2008   #68
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I really don't know much about Slaton but after watching those videos it appears that he has a good second gear, good down field vision, sets up his blocks well, and doesn't go down after first contact.

I don't know how Slaton fell so far down the draft boards. Maybe its a maturity thing.
Thats pretty much the same impression I came away with .... Those are the reasons I think he will see a lot of playing time . His ability to catch the ball out of the backfield is going to be a big part of that . As long as he can hold onto the ball and pick up the blitz (yeah , those things) he will be a steal in the 3rd round.

As for how he fell so far in the draft ... There were some highly rated guy's in front of him . Here's a list of the RB's taken before Slaton .

Mcfadden
Stewart
Jones
Mendenhall
C.Johnson
Forte'
Rice
K.Smith
J.Charles

I was really hoping that Ray Rice would fall to them but he was gone . I think Rice is going to be a very good NFL player . Maybe not the talent of McFadden but he can carry a load . There will be a few teams that will regret passing on him ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #69
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post
As for how he fell so far in the draft ... There were some highly rated guy's in front of him...
And most of the backs taken ahead of Slaton were bigger. Slaton's not a 20+ carries/game back. And the Bears & Lions, among others, were looking for an everydown back. I would say Slaton compares to NFL backs like Jerious Norwood, Leon Washington, and to be very optimistic, Brian Westbrook. And the 3rd-4th rounds are where these RBs were selected.
Old 06-01-2008   #70
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
And most of the backs taken ahead of Slaton were bigger. Slaton's not a 20+ carries/game back. And the Bears & Lions, among others, were looking for an everydown back. I would say Slaton compares to NFL backs like Jerious Norwood, Leon Washington, and to be very optimistic, Brian Westbrook. And the 3rd-4th rounds are where these RBs were selected.
...and for much the same reasons that Clinton Portis fell to the Broncos at 51.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #71
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

The beauty of picking up a back like Slaton is that he adds a much needed dimension to our offense.
-
In other words, I like the different looks we can give a defense on a 3rd and 6. A back like Slaton can give a linebacker who draws his assignment fits. Add that to our rock solid receiving corps and a TE who can run drag routes over the middle, and you have the makings of dynamic offense.
-
I think we're in for some good times people.

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #72
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

a really good hype video with Slaton with some great camera angles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUgvCtO_OME&NR=1

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #73
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

That's a badass clip. One of the best I've seen.

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #74
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

After watching that great clip, I noticed this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ5I2...eature=related

Both of these clips demonstrate to me some interesting observations. Stanton's cut on a dime ability at high speed is unreal. He has an uncanny ability to cut through and slip by defenders virtually untouched, both outside the tackles and inside. When going between the tackles, he seems to disappear in traffic, then miraculously emerge untouched. I have this gut feeling that, unlike Bush, his between the tackles value may be significantly underestimated...........as is his potential carry numbers.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #75
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Stanton's cut on a dime ability at high speed is unreal. He has an uncanny ability to cut through and slip by defenders virtually untouched, both outside the tackles and inside. When going between the tackles, he seems to disappear in traffic, then miraculously emerge untouched. I have this gut feeling that, unlike Bush, his between the tackles value may be significantly underestimated...........as is his potential carry numbers.
That's what I'm hoping but I'm afraid I'm going to jinx something if I say anything.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #76
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That's what I'm hoping but I'm afraid I'm going to jinx something if I say anything.
I know the feeling!

De Oppresso Liber
Old 06-01-2008   #77
ocd
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
After watching that great clip, I noticed this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ5I2...eature=related

Both of these clips demonstrate to me some interesting observations. Stanton's cut on a dime ability at high speed is unreal. He has an uncanny ability to cut through and slip by defenders virtually untouched, both outside the tackles and inside. When going between the tackles, he seems to disappear in traffic, then miraculously emerge untouched. I have this gut feeling that, unlike Bush, his between the tackles value may be significantly underestimated...........as is his potential carry numbers.

I just watched that one too. I can only imagine Gibbs' expression when he heard we got Slaton. He may be a little light in weight but, GOOD LORD, he's a threat every time he touches the ball.

So let's say the O line performs exceptionally well under Gibbs expert tutelege, this guy will have the highest YPC average in the league imo. What a BURST of insta-speed!!!!!
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #78
edo783
Site Contributor

Those are some nice clips (not particularly good camera work/video quality), but one thing that jumped out to me was that ~90% of the time, he carried the ball in his left hand whether he was running down the left side or the right side of the field. NFL guys will pick up on that and be looking to strip it if he is holding it in the inside of the field arm. To say that he has some acceleration would be an understatement. I'm going to assume he wont blow past NFL guys that quickly, but he certainly has some jets. Looked like he was willing and able to take a hit and to take the ball in traffic through the line. If he can hang on to the ball, he should be exciting.

De Oppresso Liber
Old 06-01-2008   #79
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
but one thing that jumped out to me was that ~90% of the time, he carried the ball in his left hand whether he was running down the left side or the right side of the field. NFL guys will pick up on that and be looking to strip it if he is holding it in the inside of the field arm.
He had a wrist injury that didn't allow him to grip the ball with his right hand.....

Quote:
I read that Steve played with an injured wrist in 2006. What can you tell me about the injury (how/when it happened) and were there any lingering effects during the 2007 season?
Quote:
The injury actually occurred during his freshman year against Connecticut in 2005 and it wasnít corrected until after his sophomore season in the winter of 2007. I recall Steve saying it was like playing with one hand tied behind his back. He actually carried the ball in his left arm the entire season even on running plays to the right because he didnít have the strength in his wrist to properly secure the ball. Yet the wrist didnít affect him a great deal in the passing game because he wound up catching 27 passes.

After the surgery the wrist has not been a problem whatsoever.
http://www.battleredblog.com/2008/5/...n-an-insider-s
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #80
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

And as far as the incredible burst of speed y'all are talking about from that clip.....almost all of those highlights were from his freshman & sophomore seasons, during his junior year he lost a little burst after he packed on some bulk, supposedly he's working on getting his speed back to the form it was during his freshman and sophomore seasons. I don't really care though, because he's fast enough as is, and any added speed would just be a bonus.

To me, Steve Slaton's biggest gift is his acceleration, he gets from 1st to 5th gear in a split second......if there's a hole, he's going to have the "get up" to get through it way before it closes.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 06-02-2008 at 02:08 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read