Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2008   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opinions on Steve Slaton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
That's true but bling with no tux and a beat up car gets you a date with your cousin ... right Bill .
We had no tux and a beat up Carr for years, but it's all good now! I guess AJ was our bling in the past.
Old 05-30-2008   #42
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
We had no tux and a beat up Carr for years, but it's all good now! I guess AJ was our bling in the past.
Well Gibbs is in charge of the limo . We have a new driver in Schaub to decide if and when you use the differeent blings .
Old 05-30-2008   #43
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

woohoo!!! we're getting laid this year!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #44
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
ALL SEASON ?
Old 05-30-2008   #45
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just to use your (ahem) analogy, does that mean playoffs or super bed (er bowl)?
Old 05-30-2008   #46
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, when I think of Steve Slaton, I think of Tony Dorsett. (Not saying that I expect he can mirror the NFL career of Dorsett.)

It's good that the fans don't put too much expectation on the young man. That way he can slowly learn the pro game, as he's an underclassman.

I think the questions about his ability to run between tackles, his blocking skill, his heart, his injuries will be answered.
He's a good fit for the Texans, IMO.
And he should become a contributor sometimes this year, depending upon his progress.

I thought the Mountaineers line didn't look so hot last year. And I did not particularly agree with how the Mountaineers conduct their running game, there just wasn't enough carries to go around among White, Slaton, Divine, and Schmitt.

Haven't got time to review many games yet, but I will. For the moment, I just found this today (I'm sure many have seen this, but it was new to me):

http://www.battleredblog.com/2008/5/...n-an-insider-s
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #47
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Slaton is what he is right now, a good 3rd down back/receiver type. Because of his slight size, he needs to get in the weight room and put on some muscle to even be thought of in the same breath with Westbrook.
QFT

to get anything beyond 3rd dn/pass catching capabilities will definitely be "gravy".

he was not drafted to be a workhorse. What he brings is speed. The "between the tackles" work will be handled by two of the four other RBs currently in camp.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2008   #48
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
Agreed on the short lifespan of top RBs.

Frankly, I'm not sure I want an elite, every-down RB.

They are too expensive and break down too quickly.
QFT
(see Shaun Alexander or Ahman Green)
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #49
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed on the short lifespan of top RBs. If Slaton can be productive with getting 10-12 touches a game in the offense, then this was a very useful pick. Now, he could follow the Tiki Barber career path and add sufficient bulk to become an every-down back, but that's a tough trick to pull off.

Frankly, I'm not sure I want an elite, every-down RB. They are too expensive and break down too quickly. Since the end of the Steeler dynasty 30 years ago, only seven teams featuring an in-their-prime superstar RB won Superbowls: 3 by Emmitt Smith, 2 by Terrell Davis and one each by Marshall Faulk (not your typical RB by any stretch, but certainly a star) and Marcus Allen. Jerome Bettis and Walter Payton were far past their primes when they got their rings. Of those 7 wins, only Allen's and Faulk's came without the benefit of a first-ballot Hall of Famer at QB.

If Slaton manages to become a star every-down RB, I say we immediately trade him to a team dumb enough to pay dearly for such a player. Otherwise, if he can fit well into a productive RB ensemble without putting up huge individual numbers, the pick will be an unqualified success in my opinion.
While I agree with most of what you said, Payton still was a very good back, granted the defense was more responsible for the SB but Jim McMahon was no superstar QB that is for sure.

OK now back to the RB, I recall heading into the draft people taking sides on whom they wanted with many liking either Mendenhall or Stewart. I was one who really does not want a RB in the first round unless it is at the end of the first because of the team having so many needs and the ability to find very good quality backs in rounds 2 and 3. Granted we have not had many 2nd round picks but that is not with standing. Look at the production of the backs in the league now compared to where drafted and beginning salary of there first contract which is usually 5 years in drafted in the first 3 rounds.

Contract size + production = worth. Everyone mentions bush in regards to his huge contract and how it is not worth it for a change of pace back. Look at Benson in Chicago and Williams in Tampa, both top 5 picks and neither one is living upto the contracts they got with the production. It is just not finacialy responsible to draft a RB in the top 20. Sure you may get a Peterson but the jury is still out on him as far as durability goes. McFadden split time at Ark with Jones so who knows how that will translate. A lot of colleges are going to multiple backs now as well to keep guys fresher and more productive, especially if the have the horses to do so.
Old 05-30-2008   #50
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Frankly, I'm not sure I want an elite, every-down RB. They are too expensive and break down too quickly. Since the end of the Steeler dynasty 30 years ago, only seven teams featuring an in-their-prime superstar RB won Superbowls: 3 by Emmitt Smith, 2 by Terrell Davis and one each by Marshall Faulk (not your typical RB by any stretch, but certainly a star) and Marcus Allen. Jerome Bettis and Walter Payton were far past their primes when they got their rings. Of those 7 wins, only Allen's and Faulk's came without the benefit of a first-ballot Hall of Famer at QB.
What about Jamal Lewis......the guy only toted the rock over 300 times and put up 1300+ rushing yards during his rookie season, with Trent Dilfer as QB he was pretty much the main cog on offense and was the force that made that offense go.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #51
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As long as that's different than getting screwed, I'm all for it!
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #52
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I think laid is more pleasant . It does'nt involve jail or a gas pump .
Old 05-30-2008   #53
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think laid is more pleasant . It does'nt involve jail or a gas pump .
or a night club where guys dance with each other without there shirts on.
Old 05-30-2008   #54
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
or a night club where guys dance with each other without there shirts on.
You're only getting screwed if you don't like it .
Old 05-30-2008   #55
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The more I see of Slaton, the more encouraging I get.
Reviewed two and a half games so far: Cinn, USF and Rutgers.

He can always learn more blocking, but he's not a bad blocker by any mean.
In fact, I think he's rather decent at the task. Not afraid to go straight at a LB or even a DE.

I've seen him take a straight hit or a side hit at a DE 5 times already and he wasn't pancaked anything like that. He wasn't even on the ground in any shape or form.

And as I mentioned last year, I don't think there should be any concern about him running between tackles. He's at least as decent as Walker or Lundy up the gut. IMO, he's better.

Some website says that he spent too much time in the backfield, I think it's an overstatement. The fact is that the O-line is not that strong. Many times, there's just no hole so either he had to wait a bit, or cut back to the outside. But when he needs to, he can lower his shoulder and not leaving yard on the field.

You definitely don't want any part of the Mountaineers' center.
At least five bad snaps already in just 2-1/2 games. One result in a high exchange between the QB and the RB, Slaton didn't get it cleanly, actually he did not have posession of the ball, hence a fumble.

He doesn't look as natural lining up in the slot or as a flanker or a split end. Not enough reps to learn how to get separation from the DB, I imagine.

But he's pretty good at positioning himself for the screen pass out of the backfield. It won't be easy to catch him a dead duck like we saw with Lundy a few times.

I learned that his wrist injury is fall from an akward fall. And the hamstring, that goes with any back. So there's no concern of an injury-prone guy.

That's pretty much what I have to report at the moment.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #56
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the potential SS brings, but it's too early to grade him. If he stays healthy, if he gets opportunities, if he holds onto the ball, if he picks up the blitz, if he hits the right holes, if he can catch the ball in the flat, if he makes one cut and goes, if he....

These are just things to say about him these are things that every rookie RB has to answer. There are no guarantees when drafting a RB. That's why I think we won't see a day 1 RB as long as Kubiak is coaching here.

Ultimately, my gut feeling is he will be a great change of pace guy that can cause the defense to make adjustments. I like the thought of having him split out with the Andres and Jacoby. That's some hardcore track burning.
Old 05-30-2008   #57
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton has plenty of issues to work out before anyone should heap high expectation on him. I was a big fan of the pick where we got him. I was never a fan for Forte, have consistently bashed A. Green (check any post of mine. Ever.), and have been saying we could use a change of pace RB for a few years now.

Slaton is a speed back pure and simple. He takes some big hits, but the one thing that really pisses me off about Slaton is that his legs stop moving after a hit. He goes down too eaisly to make a difference at this level right now. He has great hips which leads to excellent lateral movement and cutting ability. I don't like how erratic his arms can get on runs, especially down the side line. He pumps his arms too much for my taste at the moment, though the ball seems to stay tucked properly for what it's worth. He has a slight history with injuries as well.

Right now, I don't think he will be active for the first game. I really like Slaton's potential, but he isn't there right now. By the end of the year, I'd look for A. Green to miss about 9 games conservatively, and Slaton to get about 4-6 carries a game with about 1-2 screen passes. I do not expect him to honestly compete for a return job. He simply isn't better at it than what we currently have.
Old 05-30-2008   #58
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42948 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I think this year we will be considered the top and not the bottom.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #59
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
QFT

to get anything beyond 3rd dn/pass catching capabilities will definitely be "gravy".

he was not drafted to be a workhorse. What he brings is speed. The "between the tackles" work will be handled by two of the four other RBs currently in camp.
....But even so, Slaton wants to eventually be the main guy, ala Westbrook. So my point was (and it is true for most rookies, not just Slaton), he needs to get some more muscle so he can better take the hits he will get in the NFL. As for him being a decent blocker, that's fine for college, but these guys are bigger and faster, so he will need to adjust his game to cope with it.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #60
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Sup yall - I did some extensive research on Slaton for a couple of pieces at Battle Red Blog. I think he's going to make an impact as a rookie, but should really come into his own with a couple of years of experience.
-
I spoke with John Antonik, WVU's Director of New Media, and WVU football's beat writer. He said that Steve bulked up in the offseason to try and impress NFL scouts, but it backfired. He lost some of his straight line speed. He's been working hard in the offseason to keep the extra weight and regain that step.
-
In his sophomore season, he rushed for over 1700 yards. Rick Trickett, the then offensive line coach, copied Alex Gibbs zone blocking scheme down to the letter. In other words, Steve can run in the zone spread with his eyes closed. Apparently, Chris Brown also ran in a similar system in Colorado.
-
So - with Myers and Gibbs bring the other linemen up to speed, and with Brown and Slaton already familiar with the schemes, I expect an overnight improvement in the run game. And that ain't the kool-aid talkin.

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read