Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-29-2008   #21
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opinions on Steve Slaton...

i didn't think charles was that much faster than slaton, loved the pick after addressing cb and LT. i'm just glad we finally got a gamebreaker in the backfield. charles would have been nice for all the heartbroken UT fans (VY) but i really think okam will give you guys a player to hang your hat on.
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #22
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocd View Post
185 - 190lb tailback.

Eat red meat twice per day, take 20 grams of creatine daily, and two protein shakes daily...oh, and hit the weight room three times per week.
Hell, 4x. 2 max effort days and 2 dynamic effort days. Then GPP on 2 of the off days: sled dragging, tire flipping, parachute work, etc.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #23
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
Upside would not equal Reggie Bush's contract.
Exactly and using a 1st rounder on him.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #24
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't very big on Steve Slaton before the draft because I thought we would miss out on him. I figured he would go late second early 3rd and we would be SOL.

Once we've drafted, I did a little looking, and he's a homerun threat, but he does not look as big or menacing as I would like. People keep talking about him contributing to the PR/KR game, but I wonder how, as JJ has the punts and it seems as though Ninja Davis has the kicks.

I think that if he's able to line up in the slot, or in the backfield and be productive in either, then he's a very good pickup. '

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but, I don't think that he's going to break into the "featureback" role that we are all hoping for.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #25
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well if I see the guy on special teams, and I don't mean touching the ball, but tackling and blocking, fighting for PT...then my opinion of him will elevate. Not question of size with him. It's a question of heart. I mean I wanna know if the guy who out weighs him by eighty pounds is one step away from turning MS into hamburger meat, does this guy have the will to stick his nose in there and stop it. Or will he conveniently drop his head and miss. Can't measure heart.
Old 05-29-2008   #26
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Why did we have to bring Reggie Bush into the conversation?
Except for a Heisman trophy and a girlfriend with a really big can, we got Reggie Bush or a clone thereof on the cheap. That's why.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #27
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
upside is a Clinton Portis/Westbrook type back. Downside is a 3rd down slot player that can't run between the tackles . Kinda like Reggie Bust without the $54 million contract.

Fixed

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2008   #28
ocd
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Hell, 4x. 2 max effort days and 2 dynamic effort days. Then GPP on 2 of the off days: sled dragging, tire flipping, parachute work, etc.
I get the impression you're no "pencil neck"!

I was just trying to get him to gain 15 to 20lbs...you're looking to turn him into a fullback with 600 bench, no shirt!
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #29
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocd View Post
I get the impression you're no "pencil neck"!

I was just trying to get him to gain 15 to 20lbs...you're looking to turn him into a fullback with 600 bench, no shirt!
All I care about is durability. I dont want him to bulk up too much and lose a step. He is what he is, a guy who is gonna run the ball 6-8 times, and catch 4-6 passes a game. Maybe. This is the day of RB by committee. You need a average RB, a big pounder back, and a speed RB/slot WR/3rd down back. Its the way of the game now.
Old 05-30-2008   #30
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
All I care about is durability. I dont want him to bulk up too much and lose a step. He is what he is, a guy who is gonna run the ball 6-8 times, and catch 4-6 passes a game. Maybe. This is the day of RB by committee. You need a average RB, a big pounder back, and a speed RB/slot WR/3rd down back. Its the way of the game now.
Excellent post on running backs.

There are still a lot of people who want to spend a high first round pick on a running back. But I agree with what you said above, which means we need several running backs who can play every game.

And you are spot-on regarding the durability. The unfortunate truth is that playing running back in the NFL is hazardous to your health. Running back, on the average, have very short NFL careers.

I hope Steve Slaton plays well for the Texan's for many years to come. If he does, it is probably because the coaches have used him in approximately the manner you have recommended.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #31
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems to have upside potential if used correctly in the pros. I think he slid in the draft because of his size and he seemed to be injured fairly often in college. We have enough injury-prone RBs in our history and I hope he can overcome it.

maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #32
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
one reason Portis slipped in the draft was his lack of prototype bulk but he was a beast in Denver and every fan on every team besides Denver all lambasted their teams for passing on him once he broke out big in Denver...but he wasn't 200 pounds when drafted either. Westbrook had the same story...hopefully we have a player closer to them and further away from recent smallish draft busts JJ Arrington (Cardinals 2nd round pick) and Chris Henry (Titans 2nd round pick)

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hopeful the Texans are starting to have a team that does not have to throw a player at a "main guy" role such as Dommanick Davis/Williams. DDW did well as we all know but came back too soon from injury IMO. In regards to RB, WR and Oline where we have had significant injuries in past, we will have better options now. Love em or hate em, Dallas back in the day, had 2nd teamers that could step into starter role and do very well.
Old 05-30-2008   #34
Toro59
Rookie

I would like to see him be are version of Maurice Jones-Drew. Does anyone know how the compare height and weight wise?
Toro59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #35
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Slade was kinda like a bling pick . You really don't need any bling but it makes you look better . He's a change of pace back with great excelleration and vision .

If we were a 4-12 team , I'm not sure we take him cause if you have a ratty suit ... you don't need the bling .
Old 05-30-2008   #36
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed on the short lifespan of top RBs. If Slaton can be productive with getting 10-12 touches a game in the offense, then this was a very useful pick. Now, he could follow the Tiki Barber career path and add sufficient bulk to become an every-down back, but that's a tough trick to pull off.

Frankly, I'm not sure I want an elite, every-down RB. They are too expensive and break down too quickly. Since the end of the Steeler dynasty 30 years ago, only seven teams featuring an in-their-prime superstar RB won Superbowls: 3 by Emmitt Smith, 2 by Terrell Davis and one each by Marshall Faulk (not your typical RB by any stretch, but certainly a star) and Marcus Allen. Jerome Bettis and Walter Payton were far past their primes when they got their rings. Of those 7 wins, only Allen's and Faulk's came without the benefit of a first-ballot Hall of Famer at QB.

If Slaton manages to become a star every-down RB, I say we immediately trade him to a team dumb enough to pay dearly for such a player. Otherwise, if he can fit well into a productive RB ensemble without putting up huge individual numbers, the pick will be an unqualified success in my opinion.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #37
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
If Slaton manages to become a star every-down RB, I say we immediately trade him to a team dumb enough to pay dearly for such a player. Otherwise, if he can fit well into a productive RB ensemble without putting up huge individual numbers, the pick will be an unqualified success in my opinion.
Really clever thinking. Positive rep for you.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #38
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
Frankly, I'm not sure I want an elite, every-down RB. They are too expensive and break down too quickly.
Bingo ! And as one of my favorite posters on this Board said awhile back -
"backs are a dime a dozen" anyway.
But really there's so many talented young athletes coming out of college
football every year who have the ability and desire to run the ball in the NFL, there's no need to use a real high pick on one of them when other positions like CB, DLine, and OTackle are so much more difficult to fill with capable players.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #39
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think Slade was kinda like a bling pick . You really don't need any bling but it makes you look better . He's a change of pace back with great excelleration and vision .

If we were a 4-12 team , I'm not sure we take him cause if you have a ratty suit ... you don't need the bling .
If the bling can get you a nice date to the prom (play offs) the bling will be worth it.
Old 05-30-2008   #40
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If the bling can get you a nice date to the prom (play offs) the bling will be worth it.
That's true but bling with no tux and a beat up car gets you a date with your cousin ... right Bill .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read