Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-29-2008   #1
Bigbots_02
Veteran

Rep Power: 46 Bigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Lightbulb Your opinions on Steve Slaton...

Just trying to figure out what everyone thinks of our new rookie runningback steve slaton. Im expecting big thinks out of him... maybe not right away because of us having money invested in A.G and we have to give him time to become comfortable and learn the playbook. However, I feel like once he gets familiar with it and is ready he has alot of upside. We can only hope for hime to play like a certain someone that plays in philly now.
Bigbots_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #2
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opinions on Steve Slaton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbots_02 View Post
Just trying to figure out what everyone thinks of our new rookie runningback steve slaton. Im expecting big thinks out of him... maybe not right away because of us having money invested in A.G and we have to give him time to become comfortable and learn the playbook. However, I feel like once he gets familiar with it and is ready he has alot of upside. We can only hope for hime to play like a certain someone that plays in philly now.
Are you him?
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #3
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He was my favorite draft pick. Since our first year(2002) I have wanted a RB that can take it in for a TD everytime he touches the ball and Slaton fills that void.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Westbrook is a good comp. he adds a playmaker to the offense, at least a 3rd down situational option for Schaub & Co.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #5
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton is what he is right now, a good 3rd down back/receiver type. Because of his slight size, he needs to get in the weight room and put on some muscle to even be thought of in the same breath with Westbrook.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

upside is a Clinton Portis/Westbrook type back. Downside is a 3rd down slot player that can't run between the tackles.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Because of his slight size, he needs to get in the weight room and put on some muscle to even be thought of in the same breath with Westbrook.
Westbrook is an inch taller and 6 lbs heavier. Not much difference there and one likely to be eclipsed over the next 18 months.
Old 05-29-2008   #8
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
upside is a Clinton Portis/Westbrook type back. Downside is a 3rd down slot player that can't run between the tackles.

Downside would equal Reggie Bush.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #9
Bigbots_02
Veteran

Rep Power: 46 Bigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigbots_02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Slaton is what he is right now, a good 3rd down back/receiver type. Because of his slight size, he needs to get in the weight room and put on some muscle to even be thought of in the same breath with Westbrook.
As long as he has a work ethic of a runningback who wants to start, the strength will come in time. Im not to concerned about his size because all good things dont come in big packages... ( although it wouldnt hurt) What he NEEDS to do is learn the playbook and prove his durability.
Old 05-29-2008   #10
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But isn't Gibbs' ZBS renowned for opening up gaping holes between the tackles?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #11
Bigbots_02
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
LMAO... I couldnt think of anything worse for him right now.
Old 05-29-2008   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
But isn't Gibbs' ZBS renowned for opening up gaping holes between the tackles?
Draft busts Chris Henry or JJ Arrington may be able to run between the tackles in a Gibbs system but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be replaced by a real running back.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #13
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 13 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
That's about accurate.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #14
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why did we have to bring Reggie Bush into the conversation?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 175365 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Pre draft many had Super Slick going in first round and he dropped as time went by. Many voice apprehension over his size and how it will project in NFL over the pre and regular season. I had too many backs rated ahead of him and my focus was on Forte in 3rd or maybe a second if we got a 2 in a trade. Slaton was not on my list. I saw Jamaal Charles as same type but bigger if we were going RB in lower first due to trade down or a 2nd. JC would have been perfect in ZBS but I really wanted a LT so the first round pick of Brown really suited me. Then I was surprised that Sage did not go for a two. After the trade we got Molden and two of the spots of need were addressed and we got Mr. Slaton as 2nd pick in the third and I can not believe our luck! I think he is perfect for what Gibbs wants and the acquisition of a very fast Duane Brown (5.09) + our even better WR group should eat up yardage. IMO Slaton will not be busting between the tackles straight up the field. The ZBS and Super Slick were made for each other.
Old 05-29-2008   #16
Bigbots_02
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Pre draft many had Super Slick going in first round and he dropped as time went by. Many voice apprehension over his size and how it will project in NFL over the pre and regular season. I had too many backs rated ahead of him and my focus was on Forte in 3rd or maybe a second if we got a 2 in a trade. Slaton was not on my list. I saw Jamaal Charles as same type but bigger if we were going RB in lower first due to trade down or a 2nd. JC would have been perfect in ZBS but I really wanted a LT so the first round pick of Brown really suited me. Then I was surprised that Sage did not go for a two. After the trade we got Molden and two of the spots of need were addressed and we got Mr. Slaton as 2nd pick in the third and I can not believe our luck! I think he is perfect for what Gibbs wants and the acquisition of a very fast Duane Brown (5.09) + our even better WR group should eat up yardage. IMO Slaton will not be busting between the tackles straight up the field. The ZBS and Super Slick were made for each other.
I was Pro JC myself... I almost thought we would get him in the third but we all saw what happened on pick 73.
Old 05-29-2008   #17
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
Upside would not equal Reggie Bush's contract.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 175365 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was Pro JC myself... I almost thought we would get him in the third but we all saw what happened on pick 73.
I was really hoping Charles would be a Texan. It would have brought a lot of attention to Houston nationwide with comparisons between Charles and Young. Pre game chatter prior to Tennessee games twice a year would be huge. Hopefully Slaton will help me to forget what might have been.
Old 05-29-2008   #19
ocd
Rookie

185 - 190lb tailback.

Eat red meat twice per day, take 20 grams of creatine daily, and two protein shakes daily...oh, and hit the weight room three times per week.
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #20
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I was really hoping Charles would be a Texan. It would have brought a lot of attention to Houston nationwide with comparisons between Charles and Young. Pre game chatter prior to Tennessee games twice a year would be huge. Hopefully Slaton will help me to forget what might have been.
I am a UT fan and always liked Charles. I would have been happy to see him as a Texan, but in all honesty his tendancy to put the ball on the ground really scared me. He was much better in the second part of last season, but he was the one player that made me hold my breath every time he touched the ball. I don't know how Slaton compares...but Charles literally has world-class speed.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read