Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-29-2008   #1
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chron-Texans not lacking safeties

Here is a link to an article regarding the Texan's safety situation, followed by a brief excerpt of the article:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5806806.html

Quote:
Texans not lacking safeties
Youngsters face tough competition for playing time

By MEGAN MANFULL
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Safeties Brandon Mitchell and Brandon Harrison have spent their share of time watching and learning. Now, they are more than ready to actually show what they can do.

There's just one issue: the two second-year players are fighting to get noticed at one of the team's deepest positions.

"You play the game of football to compete every day," said Mitchell, an undrafted free agent out of Ohio State who spent last season on the practice squad. "I know every day I come out here, I can't half step. I have to go hard every single day because I look to my left and my right and these guys are trying to take my spot."

Mitchell and Harrison, a fifth-round draft choice in '07, realize they lack experience compared to the established veterans ahead of them.

C.C. Brown and Will Demps are running with the first team. Then there's Glenn Earl and nine-year veteran Nick Ferguson. Add to the mix rookie Dominique Barber, the team's sixth-round draft choice this season, and the position is already full heading into training camp.

"(The depth) is crazy," said Harrison, who spent his rookie season on injured reserve with a hamstring injury. "And the weird thing about it is there are just so many good guys back there. Sometimes you're just hanging out talking and joking, it's easy to forget everybody is in a constant competition.
I hope we can continue to improve at this position this year.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #2
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chron-Texans not lacking safeties

Having a lot of depth and having a lot of good depth are two different things. I remember being intrigued by Harrison last year, but he seemed to just fall off the radar and was lost in the shuffle. Here's to hoping he can show us something this year.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #3
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

A part of me wants to say that when you have a lot of something you really have nothing.

I know that all of oour DBs had best bring their A game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #4
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

We should all remember that Demps was a Pro Bowl alternate last year. Maybe we are not giving the lads enough credit.
Old 05-29-2008   #5
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Aside from a healthy Demps (which should be an improvement on last years bionic arm), what do we have back there? Lots of questions and potential.

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 05-29-2008   #6
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Glenn Earl has looked quite good at SS when he has been healthy.

It seems like many fans regard players who get injured as automatically "finished." This is not the case. Some retire, some have their performance fall off, and others pick up right where they left off. Hopefully, Glenn Earl will be in the latter camp.
Old 05-29-2008   #7
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brandon Harrison, a fifth-round draft choice in '07, who spent his rookie season on injured reserve with a hamstring injury.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimeTexanFan View Post
Having a lot of depth and having a lot of good depth are two different things. I remember being intrigued by Harrison last year, but he seemed to just fall off the radar and was lost in the shuffle. Here's to hoping he can show us something this year.
Kinda hard to be in the shuffle when you are on IR all season before the start of the regular season. I am not going to say we have great players at the safeties but it sure beats where we were at two years ago.

Last edited by Specnatz; 05-29-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-29-2008   #8
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

The depth is nice. But we still lack a ballhawk centerfielder.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rookie Barber looks to make a name for himself
By KRISTIE RIEKEN - AP Sports Writer
Thursday, May 29, 2008 9:57 AM CDT

HOUSTON - A teammate shouts at Houston Texans safety Dominique Barber after a workout Wednesday, but doesn't say his first name.

"Hey Barber," someone bellows as the rookie looks back wearily while lugging his helmet and three others off the field in the 90-degree heat.

Such is life for the son of former Jets running back Marion Barber Jr. and brother of current Cowboys back Marion III. While he's certainly proud of their accomplishments, the sixth-round draft pick is working to be known for more than his last name the pair have made famous.

Though Texans coaches love that he comes from a football family, it also adds increased pressure for the player simply hoping to make the team in Houston.

"My dad had a good career, my brother's having a great career and I hope to fill those shoes as well," he said. "I'm not saying that I'm going to have to fulfill exactly what they did, but I'm going to do everything I can to be the best player I can be."
http://www.dailytribune.net/articles.../sports/02.txt
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #10
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
We should all remember that Demps was a Pro Bowl alternate last year. Maybe we are not giving the lads enough credit.
You should also remember that making the pro bowl as an alternate doesn’t necessarily mean you are good anymore. Signed VY.

I was stunned when it was announced that Demps made the pro bowl. I still havent figured out how it happened. He took to many bad angles and missed tackles IMO. Not saying he was horrible or not an improvement over anything else we have had but definatly not pro bowl worthy. Maybe with him being healthy this year we will see why so many are high on him.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #11
ocd
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
You should also remember that making the pro bowl as an alternate doesn’t necessarily mean you are good anymore. Signed VY.

Ditto...Brian Griese on a partial season none the less.
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #12
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
Glenn Earl has looked quite good at SS when he has been healthy.

It seems like many fans regard players who get injured as automatically "finished." This is not the case. Some retire, some have their performance fall off, and others pick up right where they left off. Hopefully, Glenn Earl will be in the latter camp.
This I would agree with. The real question is: "Can Earl play SS?". Taking Earl's best efforts when healthy into account, he was still out performed by Demps.

Now, if he is fully capable of coming back and taking over the SS position from C.C. Brown (who I am not ready to accept as the immovable starter for the position), that could be a good line of safeties we have on our depth chart.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #13
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
With this group of Safeties we may already have that "ballhawk" and not even know it yet. I still don't know much about Harrison, Mitchell, and Barber. What position will each play? Do any of them have elite speed? I know Harrison was listed as a SS when he was drafted, but they/he said he played both positions in college. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this all shakes out. Yes, depth is nice! JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #14
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
And because of the system that we run, we may never have a true ballhawk centerfielder because our defense calls for the safeties to be interchangeable. We don't have a true free safety and a true strong safety, we have two hybrid safeties that can do both. Many of the free safeties who would be best at being a "centerfielder" and could cover a lot of area in the passing game aren't all that good at stepping up into the box and helping against the run game. Those guys don't even get looked at by the Texans.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #15
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
With this group of Safeties we may already have that "ballhawk" and not even know it yet. I still don't know much about Harrison, Mitchell, and Barber. What position will each play? Do any of them have elite speed? I know Harrison was listed as a SS when he was drafted, but they/he said he played both positions in college. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this all shakes out. Yes, depth is nice! JMHO!
Harrison played CB as well as safety for Stanford. He is pretty big with decent (4.5) speed. Whoever survives from all the candidates will surely be an improvement just from having survived the stiff competitiion.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #16
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

we're not lacking safeties, the question is do we have any safeties that can make a difference? the safety and LT positions have never been a strength
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #17
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like Will Demps. He's a ladies man. He hits hard. He's played ball for clubs other than the Texans so that means other people have said he is good.

But one thing he wasn't was a pro-bowl caliber FS last year. He was good, he was a nice change from having Von Hutchins or whomever was there at the beginning of the year, but he was not a pro-bowl caliber FS last year. Hopefully he rightfully earns his spot, but I (along with a few other people) were absolutely shocked that he was even considered for the pro-bowl.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #18
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange View Post
And because of the system that we run, we may never have a true ballhawk centerfielder because our defense calls for the safeties to be interchangeable. We don't have a true free safety and a true strong safety, we have two hybrid safeties that can do both. Many of the free safeties who would be best at being a "centerfielder" and could cover a lot of area in the passing game aren't all that good at stepping up into the box and helping against the run game. Those guys don't even get looked at by the Texans.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
we're not lacking safeties, the question is do we have any safeties that can make a difference? the safety and LT positions have never been a strength
But at least they have made our Safties not so weak. We have some guys who arent going to make big plays, but will support the run and not allow the big play. Same as our CB's. Im not too sure how I feel about that, but thats their defensive philosiphy. We'll see how it plays out.
Old 05-30-2008   #20
PapaL
Loose Screw

I have to ask - Can any of these guys cover a TE?

Always. Be it poor OLB or S play - TE are always killing us.

Quote:

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read