Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-27-2008   #1
Ali4Real

Question Texans And Tommy Blake?

Should the Texans consider bringing in Tommy Blake, the stud DE from TCU. I heard good things about him and Iv'e also seen some of his games, wonder if the Texans should pursue him. Your thoughts?

Old 05-27-2008   #2
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans And Tommy Blake?

Last I heard was that he had a try out in Tampa Bay, but that was about a week or two ago. Haven't heard much since then.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope he gets a chance somewhere but teams seem to be extremely wary about it. The guy has talent and I remember reading an article that he's getting his act together (I think someone here posted it a while back). I hope some team decides to take a chance on him.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #4
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

All things considered I don't see how it couldn't hurt the Texans brass to bring him in for a look at least.I mean other then Mario we need someone consistent at DE and I'm not really looking for even a healthy Anthony Weaver to be that guy. Guy had a rough last year at TCU and some mental problems but I think Houston would be a great place for medical treatment.

IMO a case of Very Low Risk and VERY high reward.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #5
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a league littered with guys given second chances (sometimes even fourth and fifth chances!) and an opportunity for redemption. So, I don't know why more teams have not shown interest on Tommy Blake. If he didn't have the problems he does he would've been a top 15 type of guy. But I think more teams and certainly the Texans should at the very least give him a chance. Then again these teams have more information than we do or maybe Tommy isn't really serious about playing football professionally. I remember reading that he's getting his degree and maybe he just wants to do something else. Whatever it is I wish him a happy and succesful life.
Old 05-28-2008   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

IF it was in Texans best interest, I think Smith would have been all over the guy. It could have been an incentive laced contract.
Old 05-28-2008   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Being a TCU guy who followed him and whose Mom worked at TCU, so I get constant booster updates...Blake is a good guy who had a real problem. He is now getting that taken care of. The main thing is that he only started to get into game shape before the combines and had a long way to go. He also had to concentrate more on his own recovery and not football. In many of these cases its not as simple as medicine and some counseling so their menal health is first and foremost.

With all that said I have been pimping him since the draft. He is definitely a guy with 1st round talent. Being that no picks were wasted I think he is someone you can be patient and work with and see what happens. Plus he isn't far from home.
Old 05-28-2008   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno and I ain't in the room. There are only so many slots open, for so many players. They like the Weaver, Kalu, Cochran rotation. Mario & Powell and the rookie from Colorado St makes six. There are only sixty three slots. I like him also. But until someone gets injured I don't see it.

I covet Ezra Butler and he hit the open market yesterday...ain't happening.
Old 05-28-2008   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd consider Erasmus James first. Especially if he can get healthy.
Old 05-28-2008   #10
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 174887 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Redskins just took E.James off the market, didn't they? I think they'll give up a 7th rounder if James makes the final cut.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I think the Redskins just took E.James off the market, didn't they? I think they'll give up a 7th rounder if James makes the final cut.
Hmm, I haven't heard anything. I was under the impression he was cut, so why a 7th rounder?

I'll see what I can find out.
Old 05-28-2008   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
You are correct. Nice catch.

Quote:
Redskins give up draft pick for James:
The Vikings rescinded waivers on the defensive end after Washington offered a conditional seventh-rounder.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...iewed:Homepage
Old 05-28-2008   #13
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

From what I've heard, Tommy Blake has Barrett Robbins style problems.

No team needs that, and although I'm a big TCU supporter...I'd rather not have a problem similar to what Robbins had on my football team.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ns-cover_x.htm
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #14
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans would be crazy not to at least investigate a guy who was considered to be a 1st round pick at one point. There are guys who get in trouble with the Law like Pacman Jones and get 2nd chances, so I see no reason not to take a look at him especially if he is getting treated for his condition.
Old 05-28-2008   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
The Texans would be crazy not to at least investigate a guy who was considered to be a 1st round pick at one point. There are guys who get in trouble with the Law like Pacman Jones and get 2nd chances, so I see no reason not to take a look at him especially if he is getting treated for his condition.
Who's to say they haven't? I think SmithGM and Co. have proven they have an idea to what they're doing. If the dude was worth a shot I'd have to believe he would be here by now. There weren't many other teams clammoring for him post-draft either.
Old 05-28-2008   #16
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Who's to say they haven't? I think SmithGM and Co. have proven they have an idea to what they're doing. If the dude was worth a shot I'd have to believe he would be here by now. There weren't many other teams clammoring for him post-draft either.
I'm not saying they don't know what they are doing the texans haven't signed no edge rushers in the off season to come in and challenge weaver. A. Weaver is an absolute bust at this point and we need someone else to get pressure from the other side because Mario will face double teams a lot in 2008.
Old 05-28-2008   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
From what I've heard, Tommy Blake has Barrett Robbins style problems.

No team needs that, and although I'm a big TCU supporter...I'd rather not have a problem similar to what Robbins had on my football team.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ns-cover_x.htm
You know I think Robbins is still at large. According to Wikpedia and this site he was ordered arrested Sept 2007 and there is no word on him yet

http://barret-robbins-news.newslib.com/
Old 05-28-2008   #18
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
You know I think Robbins is still at large. According to Wikpedia and this site he was ordered arrested Sept 2007 and there is no word on him yet

http://barret-robbins-news.newslib.com/
Do you think the Texans should try to sign Robbins? He has Super Bowl experience with the Raiders...well...Superbowl Week experience anyway...Tijuana style.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I love Blake, but knowing of a close acquaintance with the same symptoms, I would have to say that Blake needs to take some times off football to take care of his well-being first, even as I understand that football is probably the thing he loves the most (or ranks quite high on his list.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read